Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mixhail

The Olympics Thread

124 posts in this topic

They can't really complain about the weather being shitty in London. It's not like the heavens would open up and magically create perfect weather for the Olympics when it's always shit weather there.

Anyway, I enjoy looking at super hot people doing things I can't do. Very enjoyable!

Dang Spain already got knocked out of the soccer tourney. I watched the whole game and I was amazed they lost. They definitely lost their cool at the end and Iker Muniain should have been sent off for bumping the ref... BUUUUUUT they probably should have gotten that penalty.

Otherwise I am sorely lacking in Olympic fever. I really don't care about anything but soccer and basketball. I think Ninja Warrior has ruined the Olympics for me (though it was cool to see Ninja Warrior vet Jordan Jochevec at age 39 still on the Bulgarian gymnastics team)

Get the fever after watching The Netherlands in womens field hockey. They all look like models, fuuuu.

Hey, you're the guy that knows the scoop on stuff. When are they supposed to play next? I'd like to check this out.

Oh and this girl who graduated from my highschool two years before me is in at least one of the track and field events. Her name is Jennifer Barringer and she is a cross-country runner. I'll have to check to find out when she competes.

K I kinda caught the fever last night when I watched Gymnastics for like 4 hours straight. It was riveting shit... everyone went from bitchy robots (seriously none of these chicks-- except for the awesome black American girl-- smile anymore) to sobbing messes by the end of it. I had no idea how the scoring worked either, so I was way surprised when Jordyn Weiber, the best American chick, got knocked out from doing the all-around final just because of some stupid 2 girl per country rule that I never knew existed. And mannn was it fucked up that the NBC cameras didn't cut away for her for like 15 minutes just to watch her cry.

Tonight's just been volleyball and swimming so blah

Edited by Mixhail

Wieber better than Gabby Douglas? Fuck outta here...

Can't wait for wrestling. JORDAN BURROUGHS, ALL HE SEES IS GOLD.

Also, fuck NBC for all their failures. Hope they never get the Olympics again. They got all they wanted out of this, a shit ton of money.

Also, fuck NBC for all their failures. Hope they never get the Olympics again. They got all they wanted out of this, a shit ton of money.

They're contracted through 2020, breh.

They're contracted through 2020, breh.

Ugh. Figures.Tape delaying is so fucking stupid, IT'S THE FUTURE. Also, their streaming has been shoddy as fuck. No excuses. Fuck them.

I assume they're worried that everyone is just going to DVR it and they'll lose all their advertising revenue. They're already projected to lose $250 mil, on the coverage, so as much as it sucks, I guess I can understand.

And mannn was it fucked up that the NBC cameras didn't cut away for her for like 15 minutes just to watch her cry.

I was thinking that too. And they just "happened" to have her like 10 feet away in the background the whole time they were interviewing the girl that won.

Edited by Johann

don't understand why so many people were questioning that 16yr old chinese swimmer...she's fucking asian! of course she's going to smash the world record.

While that's absolutely amazing and I don't mean to take anything away from Phelps, I think it needs to be recognized that swimming is one of the only sports where its even possible to win that many medals in an average person's lifetime. Seems a little unfair to compare him to all other Olympians.

Edited by Johann

Started typing a very similar reply before I left work a few hours ago, only for IE (my office uses crap technology, I know) to crash before I could post.

You just cannot compare swimming to wrestling to basketball to fencing to gymnastics, etc.

Greatest Olympic swimmer? Sure. Greatest Olympian? Really no such thing.

Edited by ramondestroys

Uhm, it's not like there are any track guys or wrestling guys (or whatever) that have absolutely dominated their sport to the degree that Phelps has dominated swimming for the last 8 years. 19 medals, 15 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze. He's failed to get a medal in only one event that he's competed in since 2004. Greatest Olympian ever? Yeah, I can say that.

Edited by hph6203

There are certainly examples of others dominating their sports to the extent of Phelps but without the help of having multiple events within their sport. Steven Redgrave won 5 olympic golds in a row in his event (I forget which rowing event it was). Is Phelps the greatest swimmer in olympic history? fine. But to say he's automatically the greatest olympian is pretty harsh on those who didnt have the luxury of competing in 7 or 8 events which demand very similar skill sets.

edit: A few headlines are referring to Phelps as most succesful, not greatest. Much more accurate.

Edited by Kibagami