The Deadly Rhythm

The "Books You Are Currently Reading or Just Finished" Thread

656 posts in this topic

eerie_silence.jpg

Still finishing this one up. Very cool if you enjoy the search for aliens in a scientific way. It's by one of the guys who runs S.E.T.I.

cryptonomicon.jpg

And just started this. My first time reading Stephenson, I'm liking it a lot so far. Lots of good reviews, io9's quick overview of it in their "20 Sci-Fi novels that will transform the way you see the world":

This dense, multi-layered story jumps around in time, space, and consciousness, exploring the interconnected forces of money and science that brought humans to the twenty-first century. Warning: reading this book will rearrange your brain permanently.

Medium+Raw.jpg

thoroughly enjoyed this one. laughed out loud on a consistent basis. love bourdain. very accessible even with little culinary knowledge...

293.agassi.andre.open.bookcover.lc.102809.jpg

just started this one. i've had it sitting around for about 9 months and just haven't gotten to it. heard good things, so hopefully it delivers...

I'm basing a novel I'm writing on the Aeneid which is simply amazing and a lot of fun.

Also reading Proust's Swann's Way. Proust is an amazing writer when it comes to delving deep into his mind and finding many things that are universal to us all. A prime example is a passage regarding dreams and how, if there is a woman (or man,I guess) in your dream, known or unknown, and there's chemistry between you two in the dream, you wake up wanting to see that person immediately.

Is there an existing and extensive website such as IMDB or Allmusic that rates and catalogues literature (which isn't Amazon)? So far this is the best I've found www.iblist.com. I want to start reading some Bukowksi, but unsure of the best place to begin. Any recommendations?

Anyway, I'm currently reading You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers, and so far it's fantastic.

Is there an existing and extensive website such as IMDB or Allmusic that rates and catalogues literature (which isn't Amazon)? So far this is the best I've found www.iblist.com. I want to start reading some Bukowksi, but unsure of the best place to begin. Any recommendations?

Anyway, I'm currently reading You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers, and so far it's fantastic.

The only other sites I know of are Librarything and Goodreads. They may be worth checking out.

I read Post Office a few months ago. Can't say whether that's the best place to start or not, but I quite liked it.

GoodReads and Shelfari are the best ones I've seen.

Finished Thus Spoke Zarathustra a few weeks ago. I wanted to read War and Peace next, but there isn't a single one in circulation at any of the libraries here. Talk about pathetic.

I'm basing a novel I'm writing on the Aeneid which is simply amazing and a lot of fun.

Also reading Proust's Swann's Way. Proust is an amazing writer when it comes to delving deep into his mind and finding many things that are universal to us all. A prime example is a passage regarding dreams and how, if there is a woman (or man,I guess) in your dream, known or unknown, and there's chemistry between you two in the dream, you wake up wanting to see that person immediately.

gasp! that sounds amazing (your novel)

i gave my copy of the aeneid away (high school tradition) and neeeed to buy a new one. i really want to read it again. there are a few books (the ones not on the AP test) that i haven't read in latin yet and would love to. have you read the whole thing through? in latin or english?

anyway, i found "girl with the dragon tattoo" on the street in brooklyn, along with the second book. i've read like 20 pages, but i'm debating whether i should dive into it right now or not. there are two fantasy series that i've been reading that i'm having trouble getting into, so i feel like i want to a) read dragon tattoo or b ) find a good fantasy epic to read!

maybe i will read the dragon tattoo while i search for a new fantasy series.

bing bang boom problem solved.

anyway, i found "girl with the dragon tattoo" on the street in brooklyn, along with the second book. i've read like 20 pages, but i'm debating whether i should dive into it right now or not. there are two fantasy series that i've been reading that i'm having trouble getting into, so i feel like i want to a) read dragon tattoo or b ) find a good fantasy epic to read!

maybe i will read the dragon tattoo while i search for a new fantasy series.

bing bang boom problem solved.

Have you tried any of the following:

China Mieville's Bas-Lag books (Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council).

Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy.

Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun quartet.

Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant trilogy.

All fairly highly rated fantasy works which you might find interesting.

the last book I read a couple months ago was "The Stranger" by Albert Camus.

I've been putting off reading "The Big Sleep" by Raymond Chandler. I don't know why I haven't started, just being lazy. I really want to read Paradise Lost soon, too.

I just finished Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts a week or two ago. Such an amazing, skillfully told story. It definitely leapt to the top of my favorites list, and I highly recommend it to anyone.

post-13-082555300 1284521543_thumb.jpg

The only other sites I know of are Librarything and Goodreads. They may be worth checking out.

Thanks. I had been hoping to find some sites like these myself.

I recently read Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins and Me Talk Pretty One Day by Dave Eggers. Both were really entertaining and quick reads.

Now I am reading Chuck Klosterman IV by Chuck Klosterman (oddly enough!). So far I REALLY like it, but that isn't saying much since he's interviewed several musicians / singers that I really like myself. While the book is no literary masterpiece, it is very entertaining.

Still on my chuck palahniuk binge.

What's there to read after this dude? I want something in the same vein.

I was caught in the same binge about a year and a half ago. I read all of Palahniuk's novels up to Snuff, which was my least favorite. Is Pygmy any good?

(if anyone's read it yet)

About to start:

greatest-show-dawkins-jacket.jpg

Is Pygmy any good?

(if anyone's read it yet)

The story sounded like it would be great, but the style it was written in was unbearable after more than a few pages. If you can get past the mangled, choppy English, it'd probably be good.

"So Far From God" by Anna Castillo

"Candide" by Voltaire

"Turn of the Screw" by Henry James

and about to start

"Anna Karenina" by Tolstoy

"This Side of Paradise" by Fitzgerald

"Confessions" by Rousseau

All for class.

No time to read for enjoyment yet.