The Deadly Rhythm

The "Books You Are Currently Reading or Just Finished" Thread

656 posts in this topic

About to finish East of Eden by Steinbeck. It is a brilliant book. Engaging read that has deep topics with opinions clearly discussed and fairly presented. I highly recommend the book.

Finished

"Girl Who Played With Fire" by Stieg Larsson

2nd book in the GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO trilogy (although I hear there's a 4th book left in the series that was left on Stiegg Larsson's computer before he died that his girlfriend has kept away from his family).

Very good and a quick read (the way Harry Potter is/was when you get into it)

The first 200 pages were very slow and a LOT of it seemed pointless and unnecessary to get to where I wanted it to go.

Once it got going, it got good.

Definitely filled with a lot more backstory on the Lisbeth character.

I highly recommend this to people to check out before Fincher's adaptation comes out.

I'm a sucker for Mystery & Detective novels/thrillers.

That genre is awesome.

Without a doubt, the best writers today write mysteries/thrillers. You can rattle them right the fuck off.

CURRENTLY READING

"Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" by Stiegg Larsson

May start it up tonight.

Going to get

Since Dennis Lehane is releasing his first book in the Kenzie-Gennaro PI series since 1999, I am going to start reading all his early novels (I've read all his later novels, besides the Given Day)

The book is a direct sequel to Gone Baby Gone

Here's the books in the PI series...

A Drink Before the War (1994)

Darkness, Take My Hand (1996)

Sacred (1997)

Gone, Baby, Gone (1998)

Prayers for Rain (1999)

Moonlight Mile (November 2nd, 2010)

If I can, I want to get caught up before his newest book comes out.

My mom has all the books back at home already read, so we'll see.

Lehane's definitely one of the best writers out there.

But anybody who's read him on here (and there are a lot) already know that.

^I envy your reading speed, in that case. Lately, it's taking me what feels like forever to get through Little Women. I know that I like it, but I don't have much sustained interest in it. Perhaps this is because I now own so many books that I'm desperate to read all the weird/science fiction/fantasy/horror fiction I have acquired (which is a fair amount), because that's where my real passion lies with fiction. I'm going to make myself slog through LW though, and continue dipping into some short stories also.

I'm trying to decide to take which books to take to university with me now, and it's really quite agonising. I realise this means I'm probably a strange person.

^I envy your reading speed, in that case. Lately, it's taking me what feels like forever to get through Little Women. I know that I like it, but I don't have much sustained interest in it. Perhaps this is because I now own so many books that I'm desperate to read all the weird/science fiction/fantasy/horror fiction I have acquired (which is a fair amount), because that's where my real passion lies with fiction. I'm going to make myself slog through LW though, and continue dipping into some short stories also.

I'm trying to decide to take which books to take to university with me now, and it's really quite agonising. I realise this means I'm probably a strange person.

I do read rather fast, but the real reason that I've been able to knock out so many large books over the past few months is because I'm essentially an unemployed college graduate (20-25 hours a week at the same job I had throughout college. It was a do nothing job, so I got to read the entire time I worked.) Now I don't even work at all, so I figure War and Peace will be a good way to kill the time in between applying for jobs and never getting called back.

Now I am reading Chuck Klosterman IV by Chuck Klosterman (oddly enough!). So far I REALLY like it, but that isn't saying much since he's interviewed several musicians / singers that I really like myself. While the book is no literary masterpiece, it is very entertaining.

Love him, but that's his weakest book. It's basically his b-sides...although I hear they're selling his NY TIMES articles for 99 cents online each

I'm currently going over is 50 Hypothetical Questions for Answer answers (look it up on AMAZON...it exists)

I just finished Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts a week or two ago. Such an amazing, skillfully told story. It definitely leapt to the top of my favorites list, and I highly recommend it to anyone.

post-13-082555300 1284521543_thumb.jpg

I mostly enjoyed Shantaram, although I think the constant descriptions of Karla became a bit annoying after a while. I'm kind of bummed that the movie's been shelved.

crime-and-punishment.gif

I'm currently reading Crime And Punishment by Dostovetsky. I'm currently on part two and really enjoying it. The way it's written really creates an atmosphere. During the part where he

commits the double murder of Ivanovna and her sister, and the subsequent escape from the apartment

was genuinely tense.

^

You are very fortunate to not have seen the film before reading the novel because, in my opinion, the film blows the novel away. But still... how have you not seen Fight Club!?

Zen_motorcycle.jpg

It's very good so far. Lots of interesting things to think about. Unfortunately I accidentally read a sentence from the last page that is essentially a huge spoiler which blows, but I'm still gonna read it to see how it gets there.

The last book i finished was "If On a Winter's Night a Traveller" by Italo Calvino. That was a pretty interesting book, but not nearly as great as "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" by Milan Kundera. I've been avoiding reading the last thirty or so pages cause I don't want to be done reading this masterpiece quite yet. Savoring it, if you will.

51LL8-ZZk7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Book 2 in the series. This series was originally supposed to be a show but the Vampire market got saturated. If "The Walking Dead" does well I could see a show like this getting a green light.

51LL8-ZZk7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Book 2 in the series. This series was originally supposed to be a show but the Vampire market got saturated. If "The Walking Dead" does well I could see a show like this getting a green light.

What's Guillermo's connection to it?

What's Guillermo's connection to it?

He co-authored it. It's a quick read so I would recommend picking it up.

I went through my Amazon wish list of books I should have read years ago, and bought every book that was used and available for under a few bucks + shipping.

I'm going to start with:

x10626.jpg

51IV65lNsCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Finished reading Klosterman. I have to say that the book just got worse and worse as it went on. It did contain several interviews / articles worth reading, but on the whole it was a bit disappointing.

Now I'm reading Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris. I am about a third of the way through the book, and sadly thus far it doesn't seem nearly as funny as Me Talk Pretty One Day. If you have read much by Sedaris, which books would you suggest to somebody who liked Me Talk Pretty One Day?

^Naked and Holidays On Ice (particularly the Macy's Elf story) are must reads.

Only other thing I've read by Sedaris other than those 2 was Me Talk Pretty One Day, but I haven't heard anyone rave so much for any of his other books.

That Klosterman book was disappointing.

It was basically his b-sides.

Just finished the 3rd and final book of Stieg Larsson's trilogy, the Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

Awesome series.

2nd fastest book series I've read behind Harry Potter.

The first book starts off slow, but once you get to the island, you are good.

2nd book takes 200 pages to get into (unnecessary that it took that long really)

3rd book starts off where the 2nd left off.

Loved it.

Definitely recommend it.

------------------------------------------

About to Read

a Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane

Need to catch up with the whole series he has before his new book in the series comes out in November that is a sequel to Gone, Baby, Gone.

DrinkBEFOREtheWAR.jpg

Book 1 of the Patrick Kenzie/Angela Gennaro PI series

Awesome.

Quick read (277 pages) that felt like 175.

PLOT: As richly complex and brutal as the terrain it depicts, here is the mesmerizing, darkly original novel that heralded the arrival of Dennis Lehane, the master of the new noir--and introduced Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro, his smart and tough private investigators weaned on the blue-collar streets of Dorchester.

A cabal of powerful Boston politicians is willing to pay Kenzie and Gennaro big money for a seemingly small job: to find a missing cleaning woman who stole some secret documents. As Kenzie and Gennaro learn, however, this crime in no ordinary theft. It's about justice. About right and wrong. But in Boston, finding the truth isn't just a dirty business...it's deadly.

I'm going through all his books, especially because it's nice to hear about places I'm familiar with.

I live on D Street in a three-decker that sits DIRECTLY across the street from the housing projects he mentions in this part right here:

...We drove through South Boston--Southie to everyone who isn't a tourist or a newscaster--past strings of drab three-deckers, packed like a line of Port-o'-Potties at a rock concert. Southie amazes me. A good percentage of it is poor, overcrowded, relentlessly unkempt. The D Street housing projects are as bad as anything you'll find in the Bronx--dirty, poorly lit, teeming with angry, crew-cut punks who roam its streets with bloodlust and baseball bats. During a St. Patrick's Day parade a few years ago, a very Irish kid with a shamrock on his T-shirt wandered in there,. He ran into a pack of other Irish kids who also had shamrocks on their T-shirts. Only difference between his T-shirt and theirs was that his said "Dorchester" in green over the shamrock and theirs said "Southie." The D Street kids solved the difference by tossing the kid off a roof.

We were driving up Broadway, past the babies in curlers pushing babies in carriages, past the double- and triple-parked cars and the "Niggers Stay Out" spray-painted on a store gate. Broken glass glittered from the darkness of filthy curbs and trash blew from under cars into the street. I thought of how I could step from this car and poll twenty people here, ask them why they hated "the niggers" so bad, and maybe half would probably tell me, "'Cause they got no fucking pride in their communities, man." So what if Broadway in Southie was identical to Dudley in Roxbury, if slightly lighter?

^I'm sure his other books will go over Southie more since this is the only mention it gets.

But man, Southie has changed...the projects across from me, that used to be all white, is now all minorities and predominantly black. The last 15 years have changed things as the main project has been a massive process of gentrification.

Mostly, recent college graduates AKA 'yuppies' have taken up the neighborhood everywhere else in the three-deckers and forced the old-timers and locals out.

But if you go to the bars all along Broadway that take 2 minutes to get to, it's ALL white....except on reggae nights when the band plays at the bar I go to 3-4 times a week.

Anyways, if they made this into a movie (like they did for all of Lehane's latest novels really), it would be REALLY good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyways, moving onto the 2nd book in the series Darkness, Take My Hand.

I heard that is the best of the series next to Gone Baby Gone? I was thinking about picking one up but not sure if i'll start from the first book. Does it matter?

Not sure at all as I'm trying to find out for myself right now.

I can imagine that being the case.

My mom read Gone, Baby, Gone without knowing there was any possible backstory.

But the characters are GREAT in the 1st book and they're developed so well that I don't know how you can go into Gone, Baby, Gone without it.

The direct sequel to Gone, Baby, Gone comes out on November 2nd called Moonlight Mile.

Takes place 10 years afterwards.

So I'm going to haul ass trying to get caught up before then.

At the very least, read the 1st book...it's a QUICK read and it's really short.