The Deadly Rhythm

The "Books You Are Currently Reading or Just Finished" Thread

656 posts in this topic

I want to read 'Going Clear' at some point.
Was 'One of Us' good? I read a GQ story that was amazing. That's fucking horrific and Anders is a pile of shit. I don't understand how they sided with him in his prison treatment, which sounds pretty lax.

It was very good, written a lot like a novel rather than traditional non-fiction.  My only knock on it is that the translation can be clunky in parts.  My into to the book was from here:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/05/25/the-inexplicable?mbid=social_facebook

(Which was also my intro to Knausgaard)

recently finished:

The Dark Tower - Entire series: started so strong but ended too abruptly/not very satisfying for me. dragged a bit too much at the end, but the END end was really well done for those who know what i'm talking about. eager to see how the movie plays off all of it

Ruthless - Ron Miscaviage: if you've watched the Going Clear documentary you already know what this is going to be. no need to read it. read in 1 day and was fairly dull

True Refuge - Tara Brach: excellent if you need something like this.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up - Marie Kondo: excellent as well, if you need something like this in your life

currently reading:

The Power of the Dog - Don Winslow

All the Light we Cannot See - Anthony Doerr

Recently finished:

The Making of the Atomic Bomb - Richard Rhodes

Underworld - Don Delillo

The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 - Lawrence Wright

About to start:

White Noise - Don Delillo

The Autobiography of Malcolm X

This book could probably be split into two parts. The first part can be looked into the troubling life of a young man with a difficult upbringing. It's a ridiculous journey and a crazy look into lives of black men in the United States during the 40s and 50s. Very entertaining. The second half of the book is the life of Malcolm X in the public eye. The Malcolm X who was an outspoken Muslim. The Malcolm X under Elijah Muhammed. This section of the book was almost a chore at times. It would include pages of ramblings, of preaching, of beliefs that perhaps seem outdated. I didn't enjoy this part of the book much at all, and found myself zoning out quite a bit. But the first part of the book is worth it.

3/5

Ghettoside: Investiating a Homicide Epidemic

A look into the epidemic of murder/violence by and against young black men in Los Angelos, as told through the story of one murder than occurred in 2007. It looks into the role that police and investigators play in this epidemic. The book itself was published last year (2015), so to think about where some of these people could have ended up and how much suffering their parents have been put through... there are some absolute gut wrenching moments in here. Jill Leovy is an excellent writer that does an amazing job of fleshing out the real-life characters on paper. 

5/5

NOFX: The Hepatitis Bathtub and Other Stories

Fuck. I loved everything about this book. So many fucked up stories, so many moments that made me want to never touch any drug ever again, so many sad moments where I wanted to ring my family to tell them I loved them, or moments where I was just so happy for one of the guys in the band, and fuck, so many moments I actually laughed out loud (lol'd) at something. I haven't done that in a long, long while from a book. I knew nothing about Smelly and just assumed his chapters would be the most boring, but as it turned out his were by far the most interesting (and every emotion I felt above, I felt in one of his chapters). Fat Mike has a lot of issues and seeing the juxtaposition of how people in the band view his habits was really something. These guys have had some fucked up lives, and I'm so glad they took the time to write them down.

5/5

Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town

This book is just pretty much what I expected it to be as I went in, which is dissappointing... not in the sense of the book but in the sense of society. Detailed stories of rape by non-strangers, inadequate responses by the justice system, disturbing accusations about the victim by the public... This book is written by Jon Krakauer (author of Into The Wild, Into Thin Air, etc.) and follows a couple of cases in the town of Missoula during 2010-2015. 

4/5