The Deadly Rhythm

The "Books You Are Currently Reading or Just Finished" Thread

656 posts in this topic

2666-roberto-bolano.jpg

Amazing. Very disturbing and it's unfinished but that sort of adds to the apathy and horrific aspects of the book. It centers around the Sonora desert of Mexico and the murders of countless woman over the years. The descriptions from the eyes of a policeman in a later part of the book are simply disgusting but amazing written. The book overall is quite depressing but Bolano has a great style.

Dennis Lehane's Moonlight Mile came out on Tuesday! That's the direct sequel to Gone, Baby, Gone.

My mom got that, I'm still catching up on the series.

I got Adam Carolla's book In 50 Years, We'll All Be Chicks.

I imagine the book might suck considering the guy doesn't read.

I'm hoping how forthcoming, honest, and blunt he is about shit will make up for that.

I'm going to get the FreeDarko book on NBA history for Birthday/Christmas probably.

Maybe sooner if my patience wears thin.

Got the Lost Encyclopedia Hardcover thing that cost $45.

It's HUGE.

Hoping to read the Devil in White City soon.

I know some on here might.

Leonardo DiCaprio has signed on to play the serial killer...and has been trying to make the movie for the last half decade or so.

He and Tom Cruise both optioned the movie and were rivals with each other.

They might hate each other after Leo pulled the fast one on this probably.

Also, Glenn Beck came out with a new book this week...how the fuck is that even possible?

Dude's a scam artist milking shit off his worshippers.

I'd say the same for O'Reilly and Olberman, but ho-ly shit with Beck.

It took 5 years each for the Daily Show to release their books.

DENNIS LEHANE-Darkness, Take My Hand

2nd book in the Kenzie-Gennaro series out of 6 (Moonlight Mile came out last week)

Awesome.

A hell of a lot more darker than the previous book.

Scary...I've never been spooked by a book, but this was terrifying in its own way.

I'm going to start Sacred by him, the 3rd book.

I highly recommend this series to anyone.

I know Ben Affleck did a hell of a job with Gone, Baby, Gone.

But man...if they put together an HBO series for Kenzie and Gennaro, that would be terrific.

Each book could be its own season.

Why wouldn't it work?

I just finished Macrowikinomics by Don Tapscott and Anthony D. Williams.

macrowikinomics-cover.jpg

I think this is a really important book, up there with The World Is Flat, A Short History of Nearly Everything, and Crowdsourcing in terms of its scope and importance. It builds on the themes established in the prequel Wikinomics, arguing that we're entering the Age of Networked Intelligence and are capable of mass collaboration on a global scale. The rise of Linux is used extensively as an example of how mass collaboration can work to produce an incredible product.

The printing press brought us from the Agarian age to the Industrial age, and now the Internet and Web 2.0 are bringing us from the Industrial to the Networked age. The problem is, many of our institutions, including universities, hospitals, government centers, and banks are stuck in Industrial age thinking.

Tapscott and Williams bring up countless examples of how to move out of the Industrial age, with examples of new paradigms for electricity and energy, electric cars and their power grids, collaborative health care, and more.

DENNIS LEHANE-Darkness, Take My Hand

2nd book in the Kenzie-Gennaro series out of 6 (Moonlight Mile came out last week)

Awesome.

A hell of a lot more darker than the previous book.

Scary...I've never been spooked by a book, but this was terrifying in its own way.

I'm going to start Sacred by him, the 3rd book.

I highly recommend this series to anyone.

I know Ben Affleck did a hell of a job with Gone, Baby, Gone.

But man...if they put together an HBO series for Kenzie and Gennaro, that would be terrific.

Each book could be its own season.

Why wouldn't it work?

Exactly what I thought (on both counts). Was definitely shocked by how much darker it was. My stomach churned a few times.

It would make a great series though I'm not sure how long the material would last. I wish Affleck started with the first of the series - Gone Baby Gone makes the Angie Gennaro character look kind of weak if I remember right - and I think that is just due to lack of background info.

Apparently Sacred isn't very good and is the only misstep of the series (from what I've heard from others which have read them all). Haven't picked it up yet - finished Darkness a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah, they definitely miscast the actress who played Angie in Gone, Baby, Gone and underdeveloped her.

With a TV show, you have more time to develop characters

Boston and its neighborhoods have changed so much.

From the 1970s to the 90s...to now (where I feel incredibly safe walking around).

I think you'd have to have the show take place in the past.

Yes, there's LOTS of neighborhoods in Boston that I would never go to.

But they cleaned up shit a lot.

i don't know, there's not that many places in boston i'd feel weird about walking through. i lived in mission hill last year, i live in jamaica plain this year (although it's a little more like roxbury crossing than the rest of jamaica plain is) and nothing ever happens to me. i hear of things happening to other people, and there seems to be a lot of posters up around the neighborhoods asking for information about robberies, but i don't ever feel like i have to be on my toes. boston is safe, for the most part. there's too many gay and educated people here for it to be truly dangerous.

edit: i recently finished ovid, the aenied, the adventures of huck finn, and a bunch of short stories, all for school. i haven't had much time to do any reading for myself, but i'm starting "after you believe" after this weekend. it's christian apology, i believe. my brother is converting to catholicism and earnestly suggested that i read it, so i'm going to humor him.

^I asked my roommate and brother which neighborhoods they wouldn't go to: Roxbury; Mattapan (definitely); parts of Dorchester; Hyde Park; Dorchester Ave in South Boston (just run down--got to agree with this one).

Even the street where I live (D Street in Southie), if you go towards the end of the street and sometimes late at night, if I walk across the street and go into the projects, I wouldn’t feel safe. During the day, I wouldn’t go behind the elementary school to play basketball or catch in the yard there.

Charlestown and Jamaica Plain have gotten a LOT nicer, although I’ve never visited either.

Lot of college kids live in Jamaica Plain, a couple of cousins and family friends live in Charlestown.

They cleaned up East Boston, where my brother lived on the Blue Line big time. It looks like the suburbs of my town and all Willie Wonka’ed out.

South Boston’s obviously the place that’s been cleaned up the most probably.

I know when my mom used to go to college in Boston, she says you would NEVER walk around most college campuses, particularly Northeastern. They’ve cleaned it up.

But mainly, the places I named that I feel are ‘unsafe’, I don’t have any reason to really go to.

Boston's done a nice job cleaning a LOT of shit up though.

Roger Ebert: When Vonnegut died, Fox danced on his grave

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/literature/when-vonnegut-died-fox-danced.html

I've read a couple books by Vonnegut (Cat's Cradle; Breakfast of Champions; Man Without a Country) and I own a couple more (Slaughterhouse 5; Sirens of Titan)

Maybe I need to read more, but he's one of the most overrated writers and don't understand why he's loved so much other than the fact that he DOES sound like your lovable grandfather.

With that said, I went in watching this Fox News clip with an open mind.

But the way they shit on Vonnegut as a person and a writer was retarded. It wasn't objective at all and it was dumb. They shouldn't be presenting that piece like they're Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings, or Walter Cronkite and then interject that with biased commentary that comes from some place that wants to undermine that person.

Disagree with the end of the youtube thing at the end: Fox News will have a much bigger impact (in a detrimental way) than Vonnegut in the 21st century.

Cool brags...

-I went to college with his grandson (he also had a moustache, although I think it was more ironic than anything)

-a co-worker of mine, his friend went to a college where Vonnegut was a professor for a semester...she was running down the stairs with a pair of ice-skates. Vonnegut was sitting on the stairs and she tripped, fell, and nearly hit him. It would have been a Vonnegut way to die.

-my friend has "SO IT GOES" tattooed on her arm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Books I’m hoping to get

Bill Carter-“the Late Shift” (Letterman-Leno)

Bill Carter-“The War for Late Night”

I just find the whole Late Night fiasco so fascinating…and it’s fun to hear the anecdotes from the book leak out. I’m sure a movie will be released soon.

It’s fun to listen to Bill Carter on Bill Simmons’ podcast that was on this week.

i can't believe even fox news would slap vonnegut in the face so unequivocally one fucking day after his death. shame on them. that's really despicable, whether you enjoy vonnegut's fiction or not.

Dennis Lehane-"SACRED"

Enjoyed it, even if the 2 previous books in the series were better (the strongest being the 2nd book)

Going to begin "PRAYERS FOR RAIN" next by Lehane.

^I made the mistake of starting Prayers for Rain then realized Gone Baby Gone is the next in the series.

Still reading that.

Here's the order for the series...

1. Drink Before the War

2. Darkness, Take My Hand

3. Sacred

4. Gone Baby Gone

5. Prayers for Rain

6. Moonlight Mile

Also reading Patton Oswalt's new one.

I recently finished Adam Carolla's book In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks.

Luckily I fall into his demographic (middle-class white guy) so I found it pretty funny.

It's definitely not a literary masterpiece but it was great to pick up, read a few pages, laugh, and then come back to it later.

Recently finished The Way Home by George Pelecanos.

It was pretty good. Entertaining enough to read fairly quickly on my flights to and from the west coast. His writing reminds me a lot of Dennis Lehane. Seems like Lehane is to Boston as Pelecanos is to DC. So many references to the area, including my neighborhood. I'll definitely check out some of his other books, starting with The Turnaround and The Night Gardener.

^I got a couple of his books.

I hear the Night Gardener and Drama City are where it's at (Omar's hispanic boyfriend in the Wire is reading Drama City in one scene in, like, season 4 or 5)

ahahah wtf? that post gave me the impression that you know what every character from every good tv show reads in real life.

i started reading Brief Interviews with Hideous Men over the winter break. its a bunch of like.. fake dialogue thingies haha fuck it im too high to talk about this shit. it's a cool book and i like it.

i started reading Brief Interviews with Hideous Men over the winter break. its a bunch of like.. fake dialogue thingies haha fuck it im too high to talk about this shit. it's a cool book and i like it.

One of my favorite books of all time.

One of my favorite books of all time.

ya, i'm not much of a reader but this book is great. i end up relating to a lot of the characters' thought processes in this book and it kinda creeps me out haha. i haven't gotten very far though and i have to put it on the back burner during school :(

Just ordered the Sound of Thunder by Wilbur Smith, Gone Baby Gone/Prayers for Rain by Dennis Lehane and My Booky Wook by Russell Brand (apparently it's good..will find out, I suppose)

Finished reading Indignation by Phillip Roth. Really, really good book.

Going to try and read a couple of my deceased uncle's favorite books I acquired. They are all on physics and astronomy. I'm not sure my tiny woman brain will be able to comprehend.

i'm flying through jay-z's "decoded" right now. highly recommended for anyone who's even slightly interested in his music, or hip hop in general. i picked it up after reading an article about it in The New Yorker, which also profiled a few other "high-brow" hip hop publications that have appeared recently.

jay-z actually devotes a good portion of the book to discussing the technical aspects of his music. part of the fun of reading the book is discovering how deeply aware of his craft he is.

the best thing about the book is that even though you'll find it under the "biography/memoir" section at the bookstore, all of the back story he gives - about hip hop and his own life - is given to provide a context for understanding his music. half of the book is memoir stuff, which is great, and the other half is the lyrics to his songs "decoded," where he uses footnotes to explain his lyrical ideas and his "rhythmic ideas."

war-peace.jpg

Started today. It'll probably take me about 2 solid months to knock out.

Try 4 months. Getting another job definitely set me back. I'll probably start something new tomorrow.