Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DK.

!!! FANTASY BASEBALL <<<WOO 6 MONTH PARTY>>> 2013 !!!

71 posts in this topic

Hey everybody, let's all laugh at my team and make fun of how crappy it is.  12 team league, standard 5x5 scoring, I had the 12th pick:

C - Wilin Rosario

1B - Allen Craig

2B - Jason Kipnis

3B - Kyle Seager

SS - Jean Segura

2B/SS - Dustin Akley

1B/3B - Freddie Freeman

OF - Jose Bautista

OF - Justin Upton

OF - Adam Jones

OF - BJ Upton

OF - Josh Willingham

Util - Justin Morneau

BN - Dominic Brown

BN - Tyler Colvin (Waiver Claim in for Matt Carpenter)

P - James Shileds

P - Jeff Samardzija

P - Homer Bailey

P - Sergio Romo

P - A.J. Burnett

P - Glen Perkins

P - Tom Wilhelmson

P - Julio Teheran

P - Hishashi Iwakuma

BN - Mike Fiers (ran out of time looking for someone, Waiver Claim in for Kyuji Fujikawa)

About half of the teams were on auto draft and the computer went HAM on pitchers.

That's funny when a computer goes HAM on pitchers in a 5x5.  No pitcher does all 5.  

I wish I had a team but I don't want to be in a random league where people quit. :(

Hard As [a] Motherfucker

and I know :(

I didn't prepare at all and used some stupid iPad app that I realized was shit halfway through the draft.  And then it was too late.

You do have potential assets in the OF, especially with SIXTY starters needed in that league.

Did Lucas Harrell get drafted?  Chris Carter will be playing OF if he isn't already eligible.  

I'd take a look at him as a good innings eater.  Obviously on the Astros he probably won't come away with more than 12 wins and he doesn't +K, but he was a 2.5 WAR pitcher last year and lots of teams have been asking about him.  Of course, the sample on him is a single season and he was claimed off of waivers.

I'd also keep a close eye on Brad Peacock.  He was very highly rated going into last season, but had a down year.  He was the key dude for Gio Gonzalez to Washington.  His spring was great... but he could also totally flounder.

And we have Erik Bedard, too.  Yes, that Erik Bedard.  When he pitched this spring, he was as filthy as ever (6 innings in 3 games, 9K, 2 BB, 4H, 0R) so he could be a find for...... a month.  Phil Humber has also looked the part of a 3rd overall pick this spring, but you know he's faltered before.  Luhnow said he believes the rotation could surprise people and I see that potential.  There's an underestimated amount of talent there, but similarly, talent isn't everything.  It seems, though, that this team loves each other and the culture is extremely positive and hard-working despite all of the turnover, and that could be enough to bring the best out of a Peacock or Humber.  

Only one day obviously, but my pitching was on point today.  

20 IP, 25 K, 1 W, 1 SV, 1.80 ERA, .90 WHIP

I was bracing myself for hell.

Nice!  I usually spend the better part of the season recovering from my pitching getting destroyed during April.

My first 4 picks this year:

Matt Kemp: Hitting .190

Jose Reyes: Out at least 3 months*

Edwin Encarnacion: Hitting .119

Jason Heyward: Hitting .086

*But was hitting .395 with 5 SB already.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyy

So I've done some morphing of my team, slightly more happy with it, going to work on pitching I thinks:

C - Wilin Rosario

1B - Freddie Freeman

2B - Jason Kipnis

3B - Kyle Seager

SS - Jean Segura

2B/SS - Matt Carpenter (1B, 2B, 3B, OF eligible)

1B/3B - Allen Craig (1B, OF)

OF - Jose Bautista

OF - Justin Upton (what a freaking beast!)

OF - Adam Jones

OF - BJ Upton

OF - Evan Gattis (OF, C)

Util - David Ortiz

BN - Josh Willingham (OF)

BN - Justin Morneau (1B)

DL - Jose Reyes (SS)

My pitching is pretty much the same, but I've been streaming matchups for two slots for the most part.

Whoever made that trade is dumb.  The person who dropped Prado in my league is probably almost as dumb.  I think Segura was my second to last draft pick?  Makes me feel gooooood.

I did a $100 mid-season draft with a friend last night (so I only have to put up $50), weird stat categories (R/H/HR/RBI/SB/BB/K/TB/AVG/Hitting for the Cycle???, W/L/CG/SV/HR/K/ERA/WHIP/K-BB ratio/K per 9/NoHitter/PerfectGame) lol and 10 teams, had the 10th pick:

C - Wilin Rosario

1B - Prince Fielder

2B - Martin Prado (2B,3B,SS,OF)

3B - Chase Headley

SS - Elvis Andrus

OF - Jacoby Ellsbury

OF - Adrian Gonzalez (1B/OF)

OF - Allen Craig (1B/OF)

Util - Freddie Freeman 1B

Util - Jose Altuve 2B

BN - Eric Homser 1B

BN - Hunter Pence OF

BN - Adam Laroche 1B

BN - Adam Eaton OF

SP - Clayton Kershaw

SP - Cliff Lee

RP - Shelby Miller (SP/RP)

RP - Alexi Ogando (SP/RP)

P - Gio Gonzalez

P - Jeff Samardzija

P - CJ Wilson

P - Homer Bailey

BN - Jose Fernandez

Edited by Chris Benoit

I want a team.  :(  I feel like I don't know what's going on in baseball this season except I can remember every single Astros victory.  

I was left in charge of that one and was going to merge the people interested with peeps from here but there just wasn't 10+ teams.  I really like baseball leagues with 12 or more teams.

Tried to sell high on Segura since i have Tulo and Reyes, but nobody was biting.

Asked for Miggy, Trout, and Kershaw straight up.  Didn't think it was worth trading him for someone like Prince Fielder, Joey Votto, Pujols, CarGo, or Upton.

Alex, you holding on to him?

Sell!  Now, I admit that I'm a bit out of the loop by not having a fantasy team -- or even a real ML team for that matter -- this season, but he has no history of such power.  He's fast, so you'll get that, and he has a pretty high BABIP over his career (probably because he's fast), but 5 of his HRs have been rated "just enough" http://www.hittrackeronline.com/detail.php?id=2013_115&type=hitter so I don't think the HRs are staying.  5'10", 165.  He'll rack up XBHs, for sure.  But -- and again, I'm out of touch -- if I can get CarGo or J-Up and I have a capable back-up SS, I'm doing it.

Tried to sell high on Segura since i have Tulo and Reyes, but nobody was biting.

Asked for Miggy, Trout, and Kershaw straight up.  Didn't think it was worth trading him for someone like Prince Fielder, Joey Votto, Pujols, CarGo, or Upton.

Alex, you holding on to him?

I'm holding on because I didn't draft him for power at all, mostly steals out of the SS spot.  I don't have another SS and the waivers are dry, so I'd have to get one back.  Maybe when Reyes comes back from the DL I can sell, but for now I'm holding on since I doubt anyone in my league would give me great value.  If I cold get a FIelder, Votto, CarGo, or Upton I would probably do that though.

Jean Segura

Segura has probably hit two more homers and stolen another base since I started writing this sentence. Dude is ON FIRE, and Segura owners must be wondering how long his power is going to last (7 HRs in 154 PAs). While ESPN has shown that 5 of his 7 bombs has been “just enoughs,” the fact that 6 of them have been to the opposite field is promising. But here’s why I think you should buy high on Segura, especially in roto leagues - even if his power dissipates, he’s on pace to steal over 50 bags. He has the most stolen bases in the majors... and he didn’t steal his first base until his 11th game! He could easily swipe 70 bags this year if he stays healthy, and batting in front of some combination of Braun/Gomez/Ramirez will always mean lots of runs.

Edited by Chris Benoit

What do we think of Vernon Wells?  Going to keep it up?  In my money league we traded Fielder, CJ Wilson, Hunter Pence, and Martin Prado for Robinson Cano, Greinke, and Aramis Ramirez so we need to fill our empty spot and need an OF.