Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cassidy

Hannibal

103 posts in this topic

-CBS is SAFE with what they do.
-CW mainly does teen-y stuff and is hitting it off with superhero shit
-FOX has limited programming given that their news starts at 10 PM. ALso, the look of their dramas look the same and that bothers me.
-I don't know if ABC has had a watchable drama since LOST that I can name off the top of my head.

Those are the big ones.
But FX seems to be where it's at. Comedy Central does interesting shit.

All the major networks seem pretty shitty these days; it doesn't seem like any of them are really taking into consideration the online audience for a bunch of these shows and still just focus on Nielson ratings and live viewing numbers.  Maybe part of it is that the networks can't seem to find a way to monetize the online views of the shows to make them relevant, I don't know.

Premium cable channels seem like the best place for shows these days, HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz.  And Netflix and Amazon (lots of new shows are in production for Amazon).  And I guess it's interesting to see how much success those premium cable channels have had over the last few years with growing viewerships and Emmy awards when those kind of channels don't have worry about advertising dollars, and instead just having quality programs that keep people subscribed over the entire year.  And to a lesser extent, I'd also say FX and maybe AMC, but AMC has been known to fuck with shows budgets pretty dramatically.

Bet let's be honest here, we are extremely lucky to even get a 3rd season of Hannibal.  With the numbers it's had, I doubt it would have lasted on any of the major networks.  I'd love to see Netflix or Amazon pick it up (fuck Hulu), but I won't hold my breath. 

If the show stays dead, at least we'll still have Brian Fuller's "American Gods" to look forward to.  And Mads Mikkleson can finally play Euron Greyjoy on Game of Thrones (please, please, please TV casting gods!).

haha I want to say Cinemax would be perfect for what HANNIBAL does.
But Netflix/Amazon would be great

The show is too damn great to be canceled. I'll follow it where it goes.

I watch Hannibal, but honestly I don't care for it much anymore and wasn't that upset when I heard it was cancelled. It's technically a great show, but so slow I just can't care about it. That said I really liked Sons of Anarchy until the last 5 seconds, so what do I know.

This weeks episode was one of the best ever, holy hell. Back on track.

this is where they're starting to take directly from book material, particularly with the 'bowels in or bowels out' line and the Detective who got too greedy.
I kind of thought things got too fast.
the setpiece, in my mind, could have been handled better when reading the book: if it had a movie budget, I think it could have been...having Lawrence Fishburne there was something obviously not in the books. I forget what happened, but Mason Verger has his own people who try to capture Hannibal too.

so I'm somewhat disappointed as a book reader with this season when, overall, this show is better than the book.

haha but LOL at what NBC showed with the bowels out while being hung.

Haha, I am seriously going to miss this show.  There were so many completely fucked up sequences in this episode, I still can't believe they can do half this stuff on network TV.

The worst bit for me was the fetus in the pig.  That is seriously some fucked up shit right there, wow.  I read on reddit that one of the producers came out and confirmed that the dead baby was Margot and Will's, apparently Mason didn't just keep her eggs, he kept a whole lot more.

I'm stoked for the Red Dragon plotline.  I remember pieces of it from the Red Dragon movie years ago, was it the one where Ray Liotta eats his own brain?

yeah, ho-ly shit with the pig. Pretty great episoide, was surprised they didn't spend a couple episodes with this storyline: they just crammed it all into one.

The stuff from this episode I think was in the shitty movie...but it's from the book 'Hannibal' which basically shows Hannibal in Italy THEN getting back on Mason Verger (as seen in this episode including the eel going down Mason's throat). They changed up a lot of things, sequencing, and taken a ton of liberties with the books.

But most of the stuff from this was from the book (no Will Graham though; more Clarice AKA Jodie Foster though who helps out Hannibal Lecter by going to the Farm; no Alana Bloom)

The Red Dragon storyline is coming...and ho-ly shit could that be supremely fucked up. It's an amazing book and the first one in the series.

...but they HAVE to come back because 'Silence of the Lambs' is the next in the series. COME ON!

premiere of 'Red Dragon' storyline was too damn good.
'Red Dragon' was the first book of the 'Hannibal' series and I think maybe the one I enjoyed the most.
The 'Red Dragon' storyline was where this season always wanted to go/be at. I didn't feel that way with the previous episodes. It's a new season entirely now.

Goddamn, was this creepy/disturbing as it was in the book. Amazing to see the recreation of things...and the way Hannibal sees the world through his mind palace. So well done and better than the books in the best way.

I am so stoked about the Red Dragon storyline already. I watched the movie last night for the first time in years, and I forgot how good it was (and how weaksauce Anthony Hopkins's performance was in comparison to the other movies).

I got tired of looking at the three unwatched episodes every time I looked for something to watch. So what did I do? Deleted them and watched Ballers instead.

Edited by ignitionnight

You're the worst

I'd watch that show over Hannibal too if it ever comes back for season 2!

For real though, I've never stopped watching a show, especially one that was about to conclude. I'll definitely come back to Hannibal one day and rewatch from episode one. But right now I just don't care to invest the effort to pay attention to it.

Edited by ignitionnight

I've given up on a couple of series but it's hard for me to stop too (Weeds after S3/beginning of S4; Suits; How I Met Your Mother before its last season when I hated it for about 3 seasons; 'Penny Dreadful' after S1). Couple others I might be missing.
but HANNIBAL is one of the best shows out there. I don't understand you. You're harder to understand than Hannibal being a killer. You monster.

but yeah, I figured you'd make a comment about 'You're the Worst'. That show is great.

OH WHAT THE FUCK! 

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT ENDS LIKE THIS! 

Goddamn, this was an awesome finale, everyone make sure to watch through the credits!

*sigh*

So the show is officially dead now?  Or are they still entertaining the idea of wrapping it up somehow with a movie or a short season?

I think they're still entertaining the thought, but not for at least 2 years. Not sure how I feel about either of those options. I feel like this adaptation works so well in long form, that anything else would seem rushed. I'm totally fine either way, if it continues, or not. Because GOD DAMN, that was a fantastic ending.

maybe miniseries or some shit but goddamn...the finale was fucking amazing

pretty great what they did with the books...and then made it its own thing completely. Obviously they made Hannibal bigger than he was in 'Red Dragon'. Goddamn. It's done so well and better than the books, which were great.

-loved that it was romantic between Will/Hannibal
-the James Bond-esque music that played at the very end (Sepinwall noticed that too so glad I wasn't alone)...pretty great that the song was written just for the show
-Dolarhyde taking out a convoy by himself...AND then finding Hannibal/Will too was impossibly, but I don't care

Bryan Fuller interview w/ Sepinwall post-finale
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/hannibal-creator-i-wanted-to-be-sure-we-had-an-ending-for-the-story

If this was on basically any other network than NBC with its deal, I think the show would have survived. It would have worked on FX, HBO, AMC, Showtime, etc.
makes sense what Fuller said about having a more charismatic Hannibal (James Spader/Hugh Grant) would be more commercial in the final question. But it wouldn't be as good...but Mads Mikkelsen is excellent and he'll do amazing work elsewhere.
Fuller had a good idea for a rebranding of Will Graham/Hannibal...particularly Will