Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
antoinette

So... who lives in Dallas/Fort Worth?

20 posts in this topic

Sup ladiez n gents,

Moving down to Dallas in a few weeks having never been there and knowing no one. ADVENTURES ARE EXPECTED. Who is around the area and wants to hangout? I enjoy drinking, eating, running, and farmers markets in that exact order.

Any advice on things to check out in the area is also encouraged. 

YEHAW

one of my best friends moved down there after his mom died (North Richland Hills?) 

No idea how close that is.

He loves it down there for the most part.

The wife and I live outside DFW, but we're in the metroplex most weekends. Denton is a cool place to hang out if you're into weird underground concerts and a college town feel. We're up there a lot and hit up bars like Boomerjacks, Cool Beans, and Rubber Gloves.

Downtown Ft. Worth has more of a "Texas" vibe, and has some amazing restaurants. Piranha has good sushi, and there's a growing food truck scene. There's also a fun trail around the Trinity River for running/biking.

Deep Ellum in Dallas is the concert/art district. A lot of bars. There's also a JFK museum there that's worth checking out.

Random stuff to do:

Ft. Wroth Zoo > Dallas Zoo.

http://www.dallasarboretum.org -> This place is really nice. Makes for the best "walk in the park."

Once you're in town I'll send you a PM with some contact info if you ever want to check something out or just be shown around a little.

What part of DFW are you moving to?

I live in Fort Worth, so I'm biased, but I think it's a better place to hang out than Dallas.  Better food, nicer people, more culture, prettier to look at, less corruption.  I want to shit on Dallas but half my friends live over there and they enjoy it.

Downtown, 7th Street, Stockyards and the cultural district are all great places to spend a weekend.  If you like BBQ: Angelo's, Cousins, Railhead, Risky's, etc.  All great.  Too much good Mexican food to specify, just look around and you'll find something great (La Playa Maya, Tres Joses, Joe T's, Los Vaqueros, etc.).

Anyway, we should do a DFW meetup for theboreds because I've never encountered any of you weirdos in person.

Edited by fellside

Even from an outsider's perspective, Ft. Worth is a much cooler place than Dallas. Dallas can feel like any run of the mill city. Ft. Wroth has character.

I'm there at least once a month and would be down for a night out. Pretty sure Kyle is still in Arlington, and would want to come too.

Edited by Andrew Wiggin

A couple of my closest friends have a restaurant not far from where you'll be.  She's of The French Laundry, Alinea, Per Se and was with el Bulli during the last two years it was open.  It's called P|S, formerly Private|Social.  It's been an interesting transition for them with an established, beloved restaurant serving fancy comfort food to a gastronomic, Mediterranean-ish tapas restaurant extremely heavy on artistry in Texas.

Edit 6/15: They were having such a hard time with the food working for Dallas that they had to come out with a complete reversal Texas-style dumbed-down food menu not long after I made that post.  I think the owner had everything to do with it, but my thinking is the restaurant itself has no "brand" because they've stuck with the same name all along and it still means nothing.  I haven't been there to actually see what's happening.

Edited by DK.

Obligatory Ft. Worth is just jealous of Dallas comment.

Obligatory "Dallas is not Texas but Ft. Worth is" from the rest of Texas.

HEYYY KIDS GUESS WHO IS MOVING BACK TO DALLAS PERMANENTLY IN A MONTH?!

This chick.

Let's actually hang out this time (props to Mr. and Mrs. Wiggin who grabbed dinner with me last summer)

HEYYY KIDS GUESS WHO IS MOVING BACK TO DALLAS PERMANENTLY IN A MONTH?!

This chick.

Let's actually hang out this time (props to Mr. and Mrs. Wiggin who grabbed dinner with me last summer)

Go to ACL now that you're probably 21 dammit!