ant

The World Game thread

2,144 posts in this topic

Arsenal are too reliant on Fabregas and have a shit goalkeeper. you could have said that at any point in the past 3 seasons, and not been wrong. why Wenger hasn't addressed those facts... i don't understand.

Don't think we are as reliant on Cesc as we have been in the past but agree with Almunia not being up to scratch

Hello football thread. And here I was thinking one didn't exist.

Now I can't be bothered to copy/paste my ramblings from my thread.

Il just agree that yes, almunia is a poor keeper and arsenal would be much closer to competing for the title if they got hold of shay given or any other quality keeper.

(I paid 21 million on FIFA 11 for Joe hart, that's worked a treat. I made 17 million from selling bendtner as well. I should manage arsenal for sure)

Chelsea will win the title. Man city will miss the top 4. Liverpool will miss the Europa league spots. Arsenal will finish 2nd but still be way behind chelsea.

Liverpool's plummet from grace has been like watching a car crash; horrible but you just can't turn away. you're probably going to be right here, except about City not making the top 4. i think it'll be a 3-way race for 3rd and 4th between Spurs, City and Arsenal with Chelsea and United 1 and 2 again.

I've missed most la liga games do far. And serie A games. What's going on in these leagues?

i can't really speak to Serie A since that league is boring, but La Liga has been incredibly open so far: Valencia, Villareal, Real Madrid and Barça are the top 4 so far, but it's pretty tight. Valencia's had a pretty easy list of fixtures, Villareal are getting points from Nilmar's tremendous form, Madrid have conceded 2 goals in all their league games so far (there's Mourinho) while we, well, have been inconsistent. our squad is way too shallow; we have a maximum of 16 professional players; the rest are Barça B kids. that's just not enough, i don't think, to compete on multiple fronts and the 1-1 draw at home against Mallorca last weekend made that pretty clear. missing Xavi and Villa, we just lacked incisiveness and especially ideas up front. in Messi and Villa we have (in my view) the best 2 strikers on the planet as well as (in my view) the best midfield tandem in Xavi and Iniesta and behind them 2 of the best defenders in the world in Pique and Puyol. beyond that core, our squad is solid but there's just not enough options or, as might be expected, able replacements for when 1 or 2 of those players go out. selling Ibrahimovic so close to the transfer deadline left us with 4 attacking players: Messi, Villa, Bojan and Pedro; the latter 2 are 19 and 23 and should probably still be playing for Barça B. we're going to have to delve into the market in the winter window for another striker (which is ludicrous, really) and some more creative midfield cover (though that might wait until the summer). either way, i don't see us winning much this season. maybe the Copa, and we can compete for La Liga OR the Champion's League; but not both. of those personally i'd say the Liga, given the challenge of Mourinho, is the prize this season.

anyone else starved for football?

Where do you guys watch these matches? Anywhere online to watch? I used to watch on FSN, but now I can't.

ESPN streams tons of matches for free on ESPN360. there's also, as someone mentioned, atdhe and myp2p as well as (especially if you speak Spanish) Rojadirecta stream accumulators and there's a GolTV stream channel on Veetle that's usually decent quality. First Touch is an invaluable resource for finding out what's coming up and where you can catch it. ESPN on TV usually shows 1 EPL and 1 La Liga game per weekend, while Fox Soccer Channel and Fox Soccer Plus (what used to be Setanta Sports) show nearly all EPL games and most Serie A games as well as the Champions League and GolTV specializes in La Liga and Bundesliga as well as various Latin American leagues. the cable packages to get them all are moderately expensive, so streams are probably your best bet if you can't find a bar that shows them. if you let us know what city you're in we might be able to give you some suggestions on where to go to catch games, i make it a point to find places when i travel.

Interlull's usually suck but was alright for me this time - NZ had games against Honduras and Paraguay at home. First reasonably big teams we've had visit for a long time.

its nice to be back. you may or may not remember me as donmega, the united fan. im back, couldnt stay away. i also reside rock bottom of the fantasy league i think.pleasantries concluded onto uniteds mounting problems:fuck me what a weekend. city get away with a handful of decisions and play nice attacking football and have david silva....which is exactly how united should be playing surely?! if things arent bad enough rooney wants out?! good lord! if he does bite the bullet and gets off then i feel we are seriously fucked, performing or not he is our main and prized asset and to lose him would really signal the end of something big. the scouse scum got away with the skin of their teeth and i think are coming through the woods now, but we are looking increasingly like a team about to fall to peices. i hope im wrong.the more these glazers stay involved in the club the more likely they are going to come away losers, dragging the team, and perhaps worst of all, the fans, down with them. just fuck off and die other than that, cant really see anyone other than chelsea winning the league (convincingly). we've already drawn too many to be considered. not even a new kit can save us now.

also, as much as i hate to admit it. city are starting to put the pieces together. besides the laughable pricing and earnings of yaya toure macini has bought in some absolutely quality players which are pretty obvious. but tevez has put on a cape when that armband goes on. should have never lost him...david silva is fucking world class of course, but his goal on the weekend was just proof.its also pretty amazing how many england squad players they have. not saying england are amazing, in fact they are increasingly average but when you have 5/6/7 player representing your country it is something of a claim to fame.but of course there is also the darker side of city. Nigel de jong springs to mind, a horrible nasty, negative player who really isnt all that good anyway. not to mention the way city have thrown their money around, not saying united havent been ridiculous in the past but they've spent what, the better part of 250million is the past two years (especially when we are bals deep in a global recession?) is just obnoxious. that and having TOO MANY players on book to field, so some kid that could be plying his trade for a team that would benefit from their talents has got his feet up in stockport.No city aren't the shining hope of football, they're pulling a fucking chelsea and are going to build success and global favour by putting anyone they can throw enough cash on some stupid billboard. no history, no hope, no class.you ask any football fan a team in manchester, theres only ever one answer.

This Rooney debacle is definitely hitting breaking point. It's looking more likely than not that he will go now in my eyes. He's not got a long time left on his contract, so of he wants out, united would have to cash in sooner rather than later to get the best deal for him.

I don't think you can publically contradict sir Alex like Rooney has done and have a future. We all know that no player at united is bigger than the club.

We'll see though. Maybe I'm buying into the rumours and looking to much into it.

Can't wait for the champions league this week. Inter Milan v spurs is quite a tasty fixture. And of course eduardos return against arsenal tomorrow should be cracking.

Back in the day when United's finances weren't in such a mess, I'd agree that no player is bigger than the club, but this isn't like the other well-publicised bust-ups that Fergie's had with star players (Beckham, Ince, Ronaldo etc) in that he doesn't really have any individuals who could realistically be expected to replace Rooney as the talisman in the squad (Bebe?) and they don't have the funds to bring one in. I think that if they can, United will do everything they can to get a contract extension signed.

City will probably buy him just because they can, although I don't think they really need him at the moment, especially if he's going to be as petulant and out-of-form as he is right now. City are looking like title contenders, although I can't see anyone but Chelsea winning it this year unless they take their eyes off the Premiership and go for the Champions' League title that continues to elude them.

I'm really looking forward to Eduardo going back to the Emirates, it should be really heartwarming, like Becks at Old Trafford.

Champs League does look really good tonight and tomorrow, Real v AC and Inter v Spurs are the games I'm looking out for.

In other areas, I really hope Forest can destroy Middlesbrough tonight now that they're managerless and then push on with our season, it's been very disappointing, if not surprising, so far.

judging by size that could be Villa, Iniesta or Jesus Navas. my guess is Villa.

looks like Wayne is gone, SAF having admitted today that he's asked to leave. didn't see that coming, but having a high-speed come-apart all over the tabloids changes minds pretty fast. if he went to City, it would be nearly as bad as Figo moving to Madrid; but i really don't think Mancini is capable of handling his ego. truly, though, i don't know where else he could go. Chelsea, maybe? he makes no sense for Madrid (with Mourinho in charge) and he's not a good buy for us either. Italy? unlikely. he might end up living out of the world's most expensive caravan....

I just don't see his style of play lending itself to much success in la liga. I hope he doesn't go to Italy, mostly because I'm not a Serie A fan. I think his safest move would be to stay in england, but who knows? Interesting dilemma.

I really think ManU is the right fit for him and he's nuts to leave it.

as an aside - I need to know this: Who is that barca player in your sig pulling that ridiculous move?

It's Juan Mata with the Spanish national team. Blackstar will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he still plays for Valencia?

There's a full video:

So fast, so clean. Beautiful stuff.

I think Rooney would fit into the Madrid team just fine to be fair. Him and ronaldo linking up again has got to tempt mourinho. They are great together.

In my eyes it will either be Madrid or man city. Depends if Rooney wants to jump ship in january or the summer. If it's January then man city will be all over him. Summer..Madrid.

EDIT: and Coleen has to be having a say in at as well. And guaranteed she wants to fuck off to Spain and get away from the sun / daily star / daily mail / news of the world / all magazine publications.

Mata has been brilliant for Valencia so far this season, but i confess i didn't think he had that in him.

Milan are getting absolutely shitstomped by Madrid at present; they're clearly teams playing at 2 different tempos. Milan's looks like a funeral march, and it's only Gattuso (one of my all-time favorite players, what a ferocious sonofabitch) and a couple of good saves from their new keeper that's letting them stay in it. Seedorf, once imperious, looks old and their midfield is being overrun by Madrid's younger, sharper players.

And there goes gattuso. I do like boateng. Decent player.

Meanwhile the arsenal game is also a walkover.

Eduardo has just made his appearance onto the pitch. Nice support for him.

Just read that the wheeler dealer Harry "triffic" redknapp will have a word with his chairman about signing Rooney. He loves to get in on the action. Legend.

Edit: jack wilshere. The future midfield maestro for England. Excellent play and a really neat finish. Great player. Not the best tackler. Never mind that though

Yeah, that was a good finish. Well played Eduardo + all the home fans for cheering. Good shit.

Meanwhile. Leicester vs Leeds. Fucking tense. We went 2-0 up in the 81st min and then the dirty Leeds scored in 83rd min. Currently still 2-1 in injury time.

EDIT: whey! Sven goran errikson has just won over every leicester fan with an away win over Leeds, it's a good night.

Forest FINALLY get a win as well. Good work McGugan. I've had a soft spot for Sven ever since he chose not to bankrupt Notts County by waiving his wages for his time at the club. Top bloke, and I wish him all the best at Leicester.

Real Salt Lake vs. Cruz Azul was old out tonight!!! Arrrggghhhh. Both teams are 3-1-1 in CONCACAF, and Cruz Azul won 5-4 last time. This time Real is playing at home where they have won 25 consecutive regular season matches in a row, setting an MLS record.

So far, Real Salt Lake > Cruz Azul 1 -0.

Real Salt Lake is without a doubt the best team in MLS. The MLS needs to stop doing these joke friendly matches with MLS "allstars" and allow the actual MLS teams to play their European rivals. Last year LA played Barca and fought a bitter match, losing 2-1 in the end, hardly the defeat most people would expect. In fact, Real Salt Lake also beat the Galaxy to take the 2009 MLS title!