ant

The World Game thread

2,144 posts in this topic

You think they look WAY BETTER than Argentina? They almost lost to Mexico and couldn't even put up one goal on Costa Rica. Argentina played their best game against Belgium and Higuain finally showed up to play for the first time in the tournament. Although I consider the Dutch the better team, they have been very up and down... couple that with De Jong being out and Argentina ascending as a team, I have the AFA winning.

Then again, this will be the first time I have been confident in them during this tournament, so they'll probably lose.

I feel like Argentina has had the easiest path to the semis.  Every team they've faced (save maybe Belgium) they should have been favored by a goal or two.  And they've yet to face an offensively juggernaut.

Netherlands just scare me.

Well that game was a piece of shit. Yay for Argentina making it. I'm still rooting for Germany because I love em, but I'd be happy if Messi won and could say he's the best player of all time now. He probably can still get it just for making it this far since his team is full of basic bitches.

That said, Germany will wreck on them. They've owned Argentina the last couple of tournaments, so this will probably be a blowout.

Edited by Mixhail

^ ha you picked the best team in the world to play the South American team with the best player in the World. Don't pat yourself on the back too much :D.

Edited by Mixhail

haha... I think it will be a closer game than a lot of people expect. I don't expect Germany to perform like they did against Brazil, that game was more an anomaly than a sign of things to come.

With that said, Germany is clearly the better team AND are on an extra day of rest and basically only played hard for 1/2 of their game in the semis - Argentina had to give every ounce the entire time plus played the extra 30 minutes (plus one day less of rest).

All signs point to a German destruction of the Argentines - and they deserve a championship after being close for so damn long every freaking major tournament. I am hoping for the best with the Argentines but expecting the worst.

Yeah I'd expect the worst too. Also remember Bayern destroying Barcelona 7-0 in Champions League last year and Messi being useless against the big Germans.

Ok, now it's over I will tell you how I felt the whole time - that Argentina had a LEGIT chance to win and it wouldn't be more than 1 goal game. I couldn't say that publicly cause everyone thought I was crazy and I didn't want to jinx them.

Argentina had more open looks although by the OT's Germany looked to be slightly more superior. Argentina had clean looks by Higuain in the 20th that would have changed the game entirely and also by Messi and Palacio. They had their opportunities.

Subbing out Lavezzi for Aguero at half time was THE WORST MOVE Sabella made the entire tournament.

^ Dude I can't believe Argentina missed so many golden opportunities. So weird that a team that was supposed to be loaded with strikers couldn't find the net at all these last couple of matches. Messi wasn't that bad either, but without Di Maria (and later Lavezzi, ha what a dumb sub) he just couldn't get the quick service he needed.

But holy shit was that Gotze goal awesome. What a fucking beautiful way to win the World Cup. 

And dammit I wish I could party with ze Germans (and double team Rihanna with Schweiny and Podolski too). 

QLvFhcj.jpg

TyPMzVS.png

http://imgur.com/a/cKDoj#ZOvlSOQ

Yeah, his goal was great. I was glad it didn't go to PK - not a way to end the World Cup. Germany was the best team of the tournament so they deserved it, but Argentina played a great tournament themselves and put themselves in a position to win it all. They should have won it themselves and have no excuse or no one to blame but themselves. It would have been so awesome for them to win with all defense and a little Messi magic, but it didn't happen. Aguero being unfit and worthless all tournament and Di Maria injuries really hurt us (although Germany lost Khadiera (sp) too, but they are way more loaded than the Argentines).

^ ha dude Germany had so many injuries going into the World Cup, its ridiculous. I can't believe they were so loaded that none of em really affected em all that much.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/how-bayern-munich-won-the-world-cup-1604644323

So maybe the key for winning World Cups is having most of your players on the same team. Guess all the Americans should join Everton or something.

Sooooooooooo Football is over. Guess y'all should start paying attention to Soccer again (which I've done all year).

I'm stoked Chelsea signed Juan Cuadrado, and after the tie against Man City on Saturday, I guess they have a pretty easy path to winning the title. I am getting pissed at the pundits saying they have it totally locked up... I do recall 2 years ago, Man U had the same, but still blew a 9 point lead to City in one of the best final days ever. Plus Diego Costa keeps getting injured/suspended, so that could fuck things up too.

I am pretty damn excited for the Champions League this year. 4 teams look totally loaded (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern and Chelsea), and any of them could win it all. I still think Real has the best chance at repeating, especially since their James and Kroos signings have worked out so well and Isco has become a badass in his own right. I still think Chelsea could reach the final though and win in typical Mourinho pragmatic fashion.

^ Dude its been on NBCSN all year and that's usually part of the basic package no? The Chelsea-Man City match was on regular NBC too. They'll probably feature a bunch more on it every Saturday and Sunday morning since Football is over.

Soooooooooooo if anyone wants to talk about the last month of soccer, the upcoming Champions League match between Barca and Juventus, or the shit show that has been the FIFA arrests, lets chat :D

I still hope Sepp Blatter eventually gets his due after all of this. Could be like Joe Paterno part 2, but even more awesome.

Ding dong the witch is (almost) fucking dead: Sepp Blatter is resigning.

Sucks that he says he's gonna be sticking around for at least another 6 months... but something tells me the fucker is going down. His top lieutenant got implicated, no way is he not selling Blatter out.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/sepp-blatters-top-lieutenant-named-in-world-cup-bribe-a-1708405196