Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Morgan

What did you want to be when you grew up? What are you now?

75 posts in this topic

I think I was big on the ballerina thing for a few years despite having no grace, dancing talent, or training. After that I was set on being a horse trainer up until high school. I still love the ponies but I'm glad I didn't pursue it since I'd have trouble keeping myself fed if I had, plus I'd smell like horse. I'm now a clinical lab tech for a mondo-sized corporation. What about you doods?

Bonus action picture

5ZfEhRx.jpg

When asked, I think I often said I wanted to be an illustrator, but inside I wasn't truly sure.

Right now I'm a student and an operator at a hotel. Woohoo.

samurai --> LPCVD process engineer

i actually don't remember ever wanting to be anything realistic when i grew up. this is weird. 

I'm a medical claims verifier now.

When I was a kid I dreamed of opening my own theme park. It was going to be called Wacky World. I wrote up pages and pages of plans, diagrams, attraction descriptions, pricing strategies, restaurants, shops, etc. There was a Goosebumps area that had rides based on each of the books. I also wanted to build a theme park in my front lawn, and wrote detailed plans for this as well.

I wanted to be an astronomer/scientist or a comic book writer/artist, maybe both at the same time.  As I got older, I realized I didn't have the right kinda mind for science, lacked the discipline and math skills and I realized quickly that I wasn't a very good artist.  I lost interest in most comic books as I got older, but that love of reading just transferred over to novels for me.  And I've always been interested in science (especially anything related to space) to this day, but take a more layman's approach to it and still enjoy reading about it I guess.

Now I am an office/sales manager at a small rug company.  I hate it and it's sapping my life energy away like a damn succubus!   

Wanted to be a paleontologist when I was in elementary/middle school. In high school I had awesome history teachers, so I decided I'd give that a try. After teaching for three years I was tired of not making much money and babysitting 15 year olds all day so I got my CSST and started working safety at a small startup.

I'm still at that business but now I'm in IT, document control, and just started getting involved in sales.

When I was a kid I dreamed of opening my own theme park. It was going to be called Wacky World. I wrote up pages and pages of plans, diagrams, attraction descriptions, pricing strategies, restaurants, shops, etc. There was a Goosebumps area that had rides based on each of the books. I also wanted to build a theme park in my front lawn, and wrote detailed plans for this as well.

Kinda brings Woodystock into a whole new perspective.

I'm having a hard time remembering what I really wanted to be when I was younger. I know of a few off the top of my head: a fighter pilot, a chef, probably something art related. Right now I'm the lead estimator at a large flooring company in the bay area. Woooo

I'm wanted to be a cartoonist for a long time.  I was pretty little at the time though and while I was pretty good my drawing abilities didn't quite grow with the rest of me.  I didn't realize until college that I'd been writing all my life and should continue with that since it was my greatest passion that'd I'd never really thought about.  I always just did it.  A while back I actually found a "book" that I'd written in first or second grade that was all about how some weird "brings-things-to-life" machine (I also wanted to be a mad scientist when I was little) and my cousin left a bunch of books on it, so when I turned it on we were teleported into a world based on the books in the pile (which included Fairy Tales, a book on cats, and a biography of The Beatles) so we got teleported into a Fairy Tale world with giant kittens and the Beatles were the wise men...    haha, pretty wild.  I remember that there wasn't a single piece of punctuation anywhere, not a single period, but it filled a (thin) notebook.

Now I'm an adjunct teacher of writing at a university in RI, I'm also taking an EMT certification course this summer.  I'm considering either going into Nurse Practicioning or maybe just Medical Writing, or maybe just EMTing part-time while I continue to teach, depending on how things unfold.  I also write freelance copy and articles in my free time, along with my own creative writing. 

I never really had a dream job I guess, besides playing hockey or I guess being in a band.  I wanted to draw comic books when I was young, but I have not artistic skills.  At one point I wanted to be a lawyer because I thought it'd be fun and I'd be rich, but I graduated with two law degrees and I don't want to be a lawyer.

Now I work in the Rights and Clearances department of a production company in Hollywood, specializing in documentary type reality shows.  I deal with all the deliverables to the networks, which are the deals/releases for all of the materials, appearances, and locations for all of our shows.  I'd talk about it more but it isn't very interesting.

Kinda brings Woodystock into a whole new perspective.

lolwut

yeah

i wanted to be all sorts of goofy shit (pro wrestler, cartoonist, scientist, michael jordan, jack-o-lantern) as a kid but around 7th grade i realized i wanted to make and be around music all the time.

i work in a clothing store by day and i DJ / paint stuff by night. i just started really taking engineering / production seriously. it's going well. 

Edited by Shane

Any stuff to check out, musically and painting?  I don't go into the music section here so I may have missed you posting about it.

When I was a child I wanted to be a Paleontologist, when I was in high school I wanted to have a late night talk show.

Now i work as a Tech Recruiter.

Close enough.

I oscillated between wanting to be a panther and a tiger.  Now I'm unemployed.  Makes sense.

Nick, get me a job in Seattle.  We'll take long walks on the pier and be best buds.

Hey, Alex!  Remember that time we quoted each other on this board and exchanged LMAOs?  I don't know about you, but it certainly had a lasting effect on me. 

So, hey, I'll just come right out with it: I'm looking for a job.  We'll take long walks on the Golden Gate Bridge together and become best buds.

If you repped my post and knew that I live in Southern California I'd give you a job.  Sorry man, going to have to LYAO somewhere else.

I wanted to be an archaeologist, lawyer, football coach or politician. I'm actually kicking ass on that last one.

Linda better delete my dick pics though. jk.

I most wanted to be a teacher. I know not many middle schoolers ever thought that teaching would be a great job but I did. Still do. Other random pipe dreams actor/screenwriter/playwright (theater kid in high school) and a Sommelier (prestigious wine expert/steward; very hard to accomplish and costs a lot of money).

Right now I am a labor worker/landscaper. Family company. We take care of huge apartment/condo complexes in the South Shore of MA. I like working outside. The pay is solid. 

Edited by donwayneleach

Honest, the first thing I wanted to be was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. For obvious reasons, I am not that. Runner-up was a "motorcycle cop".

I do not really have a full-time job right now. I work putting together scoreboards for newspapers.