Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Morgan

What did you want to be when you grew up? What are you now?

75 posts in this topic

You'd be perfect for it because its such a joke of a job where you can write write write all day, with no accountability required of you. That or an elf. Go to grad school for journalism, you pussy.

Being a sportswriter is pretty difficult.  You have to write a lot without getting paid for years.  And a degree is likely to get you only slightly more than dick in terms of a legitimate gig.

Edited by chase

I find ALOT of this hilarious (fuck you guys). I especially like your Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite attitude about being a football player. Considering you are like 5'8", 145 lbs.

You can still become a sportswriter. You'd be perfect for it because its such a joke of a job where you can write write write all day, with no accountability required of you. That or an elf. Go to grad school for journalism, you pussy.

on footballl

I was 5'10'' 145 in 8th grade and basically gave up working out for a good decade.

My Pop Warner team had only 15 kids on the team, most of whom would never graduate or we had to pull from the city of Worcester.

We'd go against opposing towns/city teams with 40 kids on the sideline to our 15. It was lame and it was miserable.

I should have maybe gone to the rival private school all-boys high school in my town (TE-Richard Rodgers=California; OL-McGillicuddy=Stanford went there). They had freakish size. My high school made fun of people for wanting to go to an 'all boys' high school since it kind of defeated the purpose of going to school.

I would have probably preferred to have gone to Worcester Academy. They have a FUCK ton of famous to relatively famous athletes that went there. Much more competitive. Wikipedia that shit. It's a who's who of people.

I could nearly dunk a ball on a 10-foot rim in high school.

I was really fast and lined up at WR, Safety, KR, PR, K, and P.

I think I could have easily graduated high school at 185-190 pounds.

thing is, my grades would have probably sucked and I would have re-enacted the Boyz N the Hood scene about scoring over an 800 on the SAT's.

You needed a 1000 on the SAT's to make it to a state school.

I got an 850 altogether. Fucking math.

...My thing is this...

there is a RIDICULOUS amount of D1 colleges or football programs.

with basketball where there is 12 kids to a team and maybe 4-5 kids on that team are from the same class

in football? There is a LOT of people on the roster.

Not only would I liked to have given a shot at going D1

but I think it would have been fun to maybe try to just be in the NFL and even be invited to someone's camp.

it sounds like a long shot, but there's 32 teams and they each have 90 roster spots (2,880 players)

I highly doubt I would made someone's roster if I made it at, say, 5'10'' 200 pounds and tried to make it as a special teamer, safety, or WR.

But it would have been interesting to have given it a shot and see how far I would have been able to go with it.

Hindsight is 20/20 a bit with what I could have done, but yeah, I once wanted to be a football player.

but maybe I avoided catastrophic injuries/damage, so oh well.

...Sportswriter...

yeah, no way.

going to grad school for journalism seems like a complete waste.

The field isn't paying.

like Chase said, you have to work for years and years for nothing...and hope you get paid.

I'd go to Film School if it REALLY gave me a shot and connections.

but man, that would seem like a waste too since I need actual skills/certificates in the meantime

Edited by Cassidy

Marty in high school...

tom-cruise.jpg

He's got all the right moves! Except I don't think Marty boned Caroline in the City in her prime.

FIGURE OUT YOUR LIFE MARTY! Don't wait til you get a DUI like I did to decide you want to work in Government (because thats the only field that allows criminals to thrive)

You can still become a sportswriter. You'd be perfect for it because its such a joke of a job where you can write write write all day, with no accountability required of you. That or an elf. Go to grad school for journalism, you pussy.

If I remember correctly I've heard you say this about other things as well, its very clear you have no idea what you are talking about.

edit: unless you weren't the one who made a similar comment about teachers, in that case I take back the first part.... but still you don't know much about journalism if you think its a joke of a job.

Marty in high school...

tom-cruise.jpg

He's got all the right moves! Except I don't think Marty boned Caroline in the City in her prime.

FIGURE OUT YOUR LIFE MARTY! Don't wait til you get a DUI like I did to decide you want to work in Government (because thats the only field that allows criminals to thrive)

Did you actually get a DUI? Not to derail this thread but I got pulled over last night and blew a .06. Thought I was fucked. Still got a speeding ticket, but a huge wake up call.

Edit: Seeing Chris Benoit's response, I vaguely remember a thread.

Edited by t-sauce

I wanted to be a scientist.  

I'm working on a MS in Molecular biology so I guess I'm on the right track.  But I decided to decline a PhD offer because I think I'd rather finish my MS and do electrical engineering.  The field of molecular bio is just so saturated with stiff academics that refuse to retire and postdocs working for 10 years in what is boarding on indentured servitude.  It is a bummer, but I think an engineering BS + MS in medical research could get me some really cool niche jobs in the biomed field.  I just want to learn about cool shit all day.

Ugh I am taking Molecular Biology right now for an MS in Biotechnology, and I fucking hate it. I'm only on the second week.

I did visit my former grad/PhD student lab that I worked in as an undergrad, and they were all looking at me jealous that I had an actual income already. Haha.

Ha, I work in the molecular genetics dept at my lab and I like it plenty. Biotech is gnarly though. 

Yep, same.  I love pretty much all of molecular biology.  Teaching myself Biochem during the summer because I'm bored  B)

I wanted to be a scientist.  

I'm working on a MS in Molecular biology so I guess I'm on the right track.  But I decided to decline a PhD offer because I think I'd rather finish my MS and do electrical engineering.  The field of molecular bio is just so saturated with stiff academics that refuse to retire and postdocs working for 10 years in what is boarding on indentured servitude.  It is a bummer, but I think an engineering BS + MS in medical research could get me some really cool niche jobs in the biomed field.  I just want to learn about cool shit all day.

Ugh I am taking Molecular Biology right now for an MS in Biotechnology, and I fucking hate it. I'm only on the second week.

I did visit my former grad/PhD student lab that I worked in as an undergrad, and they were all looking at me jealous that I had an actual income already. Haha.

I considered doing a MS in biotech but after much researching I figured it wasn't really for me.  Is your program more geared towards business?  The biotech program I got an offer from had an optional MBA.

Edited by feels good man

If I remember correctly I've heard you say this about other things as well, its very clear you have no idea what you are talking about.

edit: unless you weren't the one who made a similar comment about teachers, in that case I take back the first part.... but still you don't know much about journalism if you think its a joke of a job.

Ha I definitely would not talk shit about teachers.

I didn't say journalism is a joke of a job. I said Sportswriting is. Mostly based off all the taking heads on TV and shitty, moralizing articles I read. Yeah yeah, you gotta slave away for years doing stupid shit (but that's pretty much any profession that's not in the STEM field), but sportswriting is a bigger joke because you really can say anything you want just for the sake of "debate" and never have to be right about your predictions or recommendations. There's a reason why bloggers are dominating that field now.

I considered doing a MS in biotech but after much researching I figured it wasn't really for me.  Is your program more geared towards business?  The biotech program I got an offer from had an optional MBA.

---------

There's a few different tracks, or you can kinda make your own (which is what I'm doing) and the MS/MBA program was an option but I'm not doing that. I already work for a biotech company, so it's something that works for me, but honestly I don't know if I would suggest a biotech program if you aren't already doing it. I definitely would recommend it more for people working on the business side, in manufacturing or in QA/QC, definitely not R&D. Aside from the required courses (which includes molecular biology), I'm planning on taking some more stuff towards microbiology/virology and quality (quality assurance/quality control, maybe validation too), since that's the general group I expect to work in. Possibly also their project management course.

I was into dinosaurs and paleontology, (what kid wasn't) but then i wanted to be a professional baseball player or an engineer.  I actually found baseball cards of myself from when i was 8 through 11 and under the section "future ambitions/career" they started at Computer Engineer and then became Engineer.  I'm now an Electrical Engineer at GM. 

I wanted to be a lot of different things.  Mainly, a pilot (I was in talks with the Air Force Academy, but I didn't want to do the service after graduating, and I ended up being too tall anyways), an engineer, then a doctor.  I got my BS in biomedical engineering, but, after realizing that most engineering jobs are office jobs (which is something that I absolutely didn't want to do), I looked more into the medical field.  I didn't quite have the grades for medical school (my 3.5 in engineering wasn't good enough...fuckers).  Thankfully, though, my college had a master's degree program to be a perfusionist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfusionist).  I finished the program last summer and got a job here in Milwaukee.  I absolutely love it.  After seeing how often the docs I work with get bothered for every little thing you could possibly think of, I'm glad I didn't go to med school.

As a child:

I wanted to be a trainer at SeaWorld 

As a Teenager:

I wanted to be a doctor 

As an Undergrad:

I wanted to be a professor

As a graduate student:

I wanted to be a director of a museum or botanical garden

What I am currently doing:

I am teaching 9th grade science at a high-needs school as part of a masters in education program.  

Can I still make it to my goal?

I think that a masters in sciences and a masters in education will bring me closer to my goal of being a director at an educational/research institute.  I hope :-(

Palentologist - little kid, dinosaurs are dope, and I didn't understand that I took forever to find bones
Writer - Fantasy stories, super nonsensical fanfiction. I wanted to write for any kind of RPG company, because when I dreamed big, I dreamed of low paying jobs even at high levels of success.
Soccer player- turns out I am not athletic or driven, or really even that interested in soccer

Youth pastor - I liked my youth pastor and got a lot out of church. Then I dug deeper into science and no longer believed in a god. Bummer.

Musician - This one started in high school and like music. Never got very good, and the only music I've made that I really like never got off the ground because my bandmates moved away and we all got busy trying to find a career.

Psychiatrist - I was interested in Psychology and wanted to be a doctor. Seemed natural to High School me.

Neuroscientist - LOL MEDICAL SCHOOL! Loved the science portion of college. Still managed to graduate with a Psych degree and just about a double major in MCB. I worked in a lab for a few years of undergrad and was in an honors program, which really dampened my interest in doing research. Everyone seemed to have such bummer filled lives if they weren't 100% about their work. I knew I wouldn't be.

Currently, I work as a Pharmacy Technician, counting pills and billing insurances.I am also one year away from my BS in Nursing. It's pretty awesome! Working in the hospital is pretty satisfying and I get to see all of the most vile shit that ysi and theboreds prepared me for. I kinda want to go on to be a Nurse Anesthetist, but we'll see what happens on that one. I would also like to make a webcomic, but that shit ain't no career. Not even good at art.

When I was twelve...well, I wanted to be swimming in 12 year old pussy.  Just swimming in it.  I wanted to be an experienced diver with the need for SCUBA gear due to how deep the ocean of pussy that I got to swim in.

Now...well....I don't want to swim in 12 year old pussy.

Another child palaeontologist wannabe here. That was even before Jurassic Park came out, I think. I was OG.

Then I went through a period of wanting to be a writer, and wrote some absolutely awful stuff.

Then I got into skateboarding quite a lot, and entertained thoughts of going pro. But I was scared of big stair sets and handrails, so...yeah, left that behind. Which reminds me, I need to get back into skating. Not for career reasons though.

Nowadays I'm a Pharmacy student. Going into my fourth (final) year, so a year from now I'll be on the pre-reg year (on the job training, after which you sit an exam, which if passed, means you're a qualified pharmacist). Hopefully I'll be qualifying either in hospital (just sent off my applications, interviews for these are in about 3 weeks), or doing an industry/hospital split year (waiting to hear back from Merck, and about to apply to GSK). So, yeah, that's where I'm at right now. Also writing what I hope will be a novel on the sly.

Pediatrician by day, Missionary by night.

Now I'm married with my first baby (boy) and trying to get our first home business going. We sell clothes. Meh. Continually wonder if I'm settling for mediocrity in life rather than going balls to the wall and seizing opportunities. Marriage and kids are the biggest challenge to individuality that I never imagined. Loving them with my life makes it harder and yet easier. Now it makes perfect sense to me why old people get so damn sentimental about life.

Edited by Matthias