Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stringer

The Last of Us

36 posts in this topic

Have you finished the game yet? I just hit the "Winter" section of the game and im curious how much longer i have left to play. I want to just sit down and finish the thing if its only a couple of hours.

I definitely enjoy the sneaking around and not having a ton of ammo more than most games that just have tons of bad guys and never ending guns.

Finished the game earlier today. Amazing ending, possibly the most thought provoking ending in a video game (Next to Bioshock and Infinite)

My thoughts

its amazing the amount if emotions you feel towards Joel in the end. On one hand, he might be the most despicable and selfish "hero" you have ever played in a video game. On the other hand, you've gone through so much hell for this little girl that you can't help but empathize with him and root for Elle to stay alive somehow, despite doing the wrong thing for the sake of humanity. It opens up so many possibilities for an eventual sequel. (Will you eventually take over completely as Elle and end up try to escape Joel?)

But yeah, this was the ultimate swan song for a console. It does everything right. I want another Uncharted game but if Naughty Dog focused all of their efforts into giving us some sort of trilogy to this I'd be so pumped.

Still can't believe how great the voice acting and cinematics are in this game.

I picked this up this weekend without reading too much about it, mainly just basing the purchase on how much I've loved the Uncharted series in the past and how much love it's getting from everyone on the internet.

About 20 - 30 minutes in....fuck.  I absolutely fucking hate stealth-based games.  It's not that it's too hard, I just don't find the gameplay aspect of waiting around for shit to walk by, plotting routes to sneak by, and the usual shitty weapons that go along with it.  It bores the fuck out of me and gets way to repetitive when I mess up. 

By all accounts, this game looks to be fucking awesome.  I love the characters and the setting so far (I managed to get to the point where you get your first truck after the sequence with Bill), but I just hate the gameplay of games like this. 

I even tried to turn the difficulty to easy and just run and gun it, but it's impossible to do that with any sequence with Clickers (too little ammo and I run out of shivs). 

Does the game get any more action-based as it moves forward?  Can I start substituting bigger guns instead of just sneaking around those fucking Clickers?  Or is it rather the same throughout?  Because I doubt I'll play much more, I'm quickly losing interest in sinking more time into this game if that's the case.

For the most part, id say it stays the same. There are some high action moments but obviously if you want to get through those without dying a shit ton you should go the stealth way about it. I hate stealth games too, but the story is so engrossing that I can't help but want to play it constantly. Especially the objectives with Bill.

I'd say give it a shot, you might end up enjoying it a lot more than you'd think once you give it a chance.

Yeah, I really dig the story of it so far.  Voice acting and visuals are all top notch, it's just the core gameplay that's aggravating to me.  I don't know what it is about stealth games.  It's not so much the difficulty for me, I have no problem dying a bunch of times in a row against hard RPG bosses or swarms of shit in FPSs, but when I get insta-killed because I stepped in front of a Clicker too soon, I lose my shit hahah.

I'll try to give it another shot this week, I got a couple of hours into it already, all that was due to getting hooked into the story.  It kinda reminds me of the movie Children of Men so far (which I loved), so maybe I need to just stop being a bitch and push ahead on easy mode.

yeah, do that. Its a game, as far as a cinematic point is concerned, that needs to be played if youre a gamer. Its as if they created a universe as desolate and unique as something from Bioshock but with better character development and an interesting moral dilemma.

To be honest, i also enjoyed scavenging and exploring the universe more than the actual combat, but the combat was so challenging that it offered something new to a game that i havent had in a while (dying a shit ton). The closest ive ever come to enjoying a stealth game is Assassins Creed (which is pretty easy as far as those are concerned) and the Batman:Arkham series (which more combat than stealth), but this is just too much fun.

but when I get insta-killed because I stepped in front of a Clicker too soon, I lose my shit hahah.

I got so pissed the first time I came across the Clicker because I kept dying over and over before I figured out what to do.

I finished the game last night. I've never had so much emotional conflict over an ending of a game before. Even though the year is halfway over I think this is going to be the game of the year for me. There's no other games that are coming up that even really have me interested, except maybe Beyond Two Souls.

I honestly thought one of them was going to die at the end. Like Joel after he fell off the balcony and got kabobed, or even maybe getting to late to the surgery room to save Elle. It's weird that at the end Joel ends up being the bad guy, acting on his own selfish intentions to save the girl and fuck everybody up. Getting through that hospital took me soo long.

On another note, has anybody played the multiplayer?? It's so much fun. A lot more fun than any FPS multiplayer imo. I'm usually not really into the multiplayer on games but this has me hooked.

Hit me up if you want to play together! My thingy is reecebreece.

Edited by Reece

I love playing this game so much. Finished the game on Hard and started a New Game Plus playthrough on Normal. Leaps and bounds easier than it was before. Not sure if that has something to do with keeping all of Joel's upgrades, knowing how to get through certain scenarios, or just the difficulty level being down. I seem to be going through the game more stealthily and stockpiling ammo for the moments i know im going to need it, which also makes it easier. I plan on upgrading Joel completely and then trying to beat it on Survivor.

also, using the Bow and Arrow makes stealth moments way more fun. Never realized how useful it was until i started using it with Ellie during the first playthrough. So if you're having trouble sneaking around, use that thing.

Edited by Stringer

I'm having a lot of trouble getting into this game. I'm at the part right after you lose the truck and it's a great game, but so far...not a whole lot has been happening. I think I hyped it up too much. My brother keeps telling me it picks up at the University, so we'll see.

I always try my hardest not to over-hype games. When a game comes out that I know is going to be good I actually don't follow it at all.

Like, I don't watch any of the "making of" or whatever featurette videos they may have before the release of the game. That way when it comes out I'm a bit surprised at what's happening and what's going on.

I let my friend borrow this game two days ago and I'm already wanting it back.