Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DK.

2013 Fantasy Football

293 posts in this topic

^ look at Draft Central and Last Season.

DK gets to choose between 6 dudes in the top 40 Overall to choose from, that dick. No wonder why he installed that Nazi No 1st/2nd Round keepers (mostly to fuck me over and force me to keep Owen Daniels ugh).

LOL Nazi.  I know you're joking, but I borrowed that rule from a couple of keeper leagues I'd been familiar with, as I also borrowed the basic framework of the dynasty keeper system.  However, the one I was most familiar with allowed waiver pick ups to be kept as final rounders and that's just insane.  (The league owner did once he realized he needed a rule because he got to keep Gronk in 2011 as like a 20th round pick...and they have money on it!  You also know why I'm not in that league anymore.)

Again... how did my team ever lose last season??!  :) 

Will we be able to see the rounds that the keepers are going to be slotted in before the draft?  I want to make sure they're accurate, don't want to get into the draft and see that someone wasn't marked as a waiver pick up or something and have problems.  Just as a double check method.

I'd posted how you can calculate guys that you didn't draft, but feel free to email me your potential keepers and I'll assess it for you.  my gmail is dkfd3s.

Example: your 15th round keeper this year would be a 13th round keeper next year (if you wanted them on your team again) and your 11th rounder the year after that, and 9th rounder the year after that.

This is great for people who picked RG3/Andrew Luck/Russel Wilson etc in late rounds

LOL I took Russell Wilson late... and cut him.  Stop reminding me!

Thanks for clarifying that rule.  It's intended to be a reward for nailing it.  Hell, even next season I may keep AP as a 1st rounder (he's a 3rd for me this year).  You can't keep drafted 1st & 2nd rounders, but anyone you have that ends up valued in those slots you can.  (That isn't new just because of my positioning.)

I made a trade last year that got me an additional 2nd round pick.  Correct?  Was this with Mixhail?

Do we know the draft order yet?

I'm probably not going to have any keepers (looking at my lower picks) because my team is a fucking disaster.

You did.  You'll have two 2nd round picks.

Man, I feel like Auction drafts are so much more fun than snake drafts, and drafting in person is a billion times more fun than everyone online.

Agreed!  This league seems to have some life, though ... FINALLY.

I missed the draft order question... it'll be pretty close to reverse standings, if not exactly reverse standings.  You should be able to ballpark where you are.

I'm about to do a draft where we don't use computers and I don't think I'll have time to print out a list beforehand.

Is there an app I can download so I can keep track of who's been taken?

I'll third the sentiment that auctions are WAY more fun and strategic, far less luck-based.  Maybe something to consider in the future.

Edited by JayG

Just finished my draft for the league I don't care about (can't say no to friends).  12 team league...

QB Robert Griffin

RB Alfred Morris

RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis

RB/WR James Jones

WR Calvin Johnson

WR Roddy White

TE Jason Witten

Notable bench:  Tavon Austin, Justin Blackmon, Kenny Britt, LeVeon Bell

I'm thinking about trading Roddy White and/or James Jones for an established RB and relying on Tavon Austin to start.  Think I can get it done?  And would it be smart to deal Roddy and Jones for... say... CJ Spiller?

Edit: Never mind on Spiller.  The guy that owns him wants an absurd haul for him.

Edited by fellside

I'm definitely interested in exploring the auction style for next season...  Any brainstorms on how to translate keepers into that type of draft structure?  That's the biggest hurdle because I don't think this league exists without them.  A lot of you dudes have seen me work for many seasons trying to prevent people from following the typical pattern of dropping out halfway through the season in a free league.  I think we've finally found a strong solution to that with the combo of reward-based keepers and divisions (playing each div team twice = easier to make up ground).    

instead of using draft positions, use estimated value in the same manner.  Does Yahoo have that info?  If not, use a different source for value determinations.

Then maybe make waiver pickups based on the same, or some cheap blanket determinant.  

There will likely have to be some compromising done, but I definitely think it's doable.

I haven't seen Yahoo!'s auction leagues, but probably so.  Hmmmm... I see where we would need to determine a historical value equivalent from the whenever the guy was originally drafted.

So if I do a keeper on alfred morris after picking him up on FA last year, that will cost me my 4th rounder next year?

Alfred Morris is a 3rd this year and a 1st next season.

His O-Rank is 11, so 11/12 rounded up = 1 ... then you add two rounds so you get some sort of benefit for spending on him previously.  So he's a 3rd rounder this year to you and then follows the regular inflation rules for keepers, which is -2 rounds each year.

Draft order is set!  Just like the NFL -- regular season record except playoff teams are sorted by how they finished the playoffs.  This should make Mixhail happy.  I avoided doing some formula leaving things to some "chance" because if I somehow ended up with an early pick, I would have a hard time having everyone believe the outcome was fair.  Cool?

We had 29 keepers out of a possible 48.  Thank you dudes for getting on it.  I think I got it all sorted properly -- it wasn't the easiest having to cross-check through 3 different sources of info to get it straight, but I wanted to get it done ASAP for everyone.  If you go to Players -> Protected Keepers or follow this link you can see who kept who... http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/2013/f1/24443/viewkeepers  Additionally, the Keepers no longer show up in the Players List.  (If you notice one, please LMK.)

A few caveats where I had to apply the priority rules previously posted:

• Colin Kaepernick (FA) was a 5th for The Bear because he drafted Reggie Bush as a 6th.
  • Russell Wilson (FA) cost Token Blackmon a 5th round (calculated as a 7th) because he kept both drafted 6th & 7th rounders.
  • Cincinnati (FA) cost Philthy a 15th (calculated as 17th) because he obtained 17th rounder Martellus Bennett in a trade and traded away his 16th round pick.

To view the draft order, along with the slotted keepers, follow Draft Central -> Draft Results or this link http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/2013/f1/24443/draftresults  (If you see someone who isn't yours, please LMK.)

Jesus christ DK, must be nice knowing you have your starting RBs/QB/Flex pretty much figured out.

Edited by JayG

Jesus christ DK, must be nice knowing you have your starting RBs/QB/Flex pretty much figured out.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :)

I still can't believe that someone didn't take a chance on AP in the 2nd last year.  And I can't believe that my team was 8-6.  QB will be nice for a year, but I really wish I hadn't cut Russell Wilson instead.  

This isn't directed at you, but is general expansion commentary -- I just kept understanding the draft order simple.  A "lottery" system that would've valued keepers in addition to the standings would have been fun, but I couldn't figure out how to make that easily transparent and without controversy.  I knew I was keeping 4 all along when proposing that (including 2 high-value slots) so choosing to go with the standard NFL scheme for draft order had nothing to do with my own squad.  Also, disappointingly, no one came forward with money to sway my considerations on the draft order.

Edited by DK.

Yeah, you should keep the draft order simple:  reverse order from last season.

No, this has nothing to do with the fact that I picked 12th last year.  Nothing at all...

*edit* - I posted this before realizing the order was already set and I'm picking second.  Just pretend this post never happened.

Edited by JayG

• Russell Wilson (FA) cost Token Blackmon a 5th round (calculated as a 7th) because he kept both drafted 6th & 7th rounders.

tumblr_lcd16mm4DV1qdpjw9.gif

Well done with that gif, sir.  

I feel you, dude... When I did the math I was like fuck, that sucks for him.  I almost dropped him for you, but I realized that wasn't fair to everyone else because you had the tools to check it out.  Look at it like this -- that's his value in this league anyways, your QB is set and you already have your stud RB, WR & TE all locked up before you even pick in the 1st, 2nd or 4th rounds.  You can have two #1s at RB & WR.  When I saw your team in my division (which I believe were just randomly filled as we joined) I was like fuuuuuuuuuuuck.  We have to deal with always-contending Phil and Cody as well.  Tough division.

Edited by DK.

It's tough to find a balance between east coast & west coast time zones. :(

Just a proposal for future seasons, I think if a waiver guy conflicts with drafted players then that player should fall back a round instead of being moved to the earlier round, just an added incentive to make smart waiver claims.  Isn't as intense as making them last round picks, but still rewarding.  Just a thought.

I understand the logic seeing as how James got hurt on it a bit and so did Phil, but here's my take on why I made the keeper priority rules the way I did (and tell me whether this makes sense)...

1st priority are those that you drafted because you drafted & stuck with them.

2nd priority are those acquired through trade (which carry draft slots with them, or follow FA rules if they were FA).

3rd priority are FAs because they are the easiest to obtain & basically the lowest risk/highest reward at the time.

I'm all for incentives, but I don't think anyone really has an idea of where the guy will land when they acquire him as a FA going into next season.  So that's where we just need some sort of priority and, to me, those guys are last because in theory everyone has a shot at them when they're hot and a lot of them are "free".  At worst, you're stuck with dibs of "drafting" them at their actual draft value and then you just decide if they're worth that or not to your plans.  James didn't check it out himself (I don't think) and definitely didn't take the opportunity I presented to check with me like you did, so he knows it's on him.  I still think he's in a great position.

That's me... the floor is yours.

Edited by DK.

It's tough to find a balance between east coast & west coast time zones. :(

I just looked into moving it to Tuesday because I think that would work for Alex, but the only "evening" time slots are 4:45 PDT & before, or 7:30 & later.  That's the case for all evenings, some being even worse.  4:45 is obviously too early for the west coasters who work during the day and 7:30 is too late for the east coast.

My god this is complicated. So I don't have a 2nd round pick and have 2 in the 4th eh. Interesting. At least I have AJ Green, that's pretty good 2nd round value right there.

noooooooo keep the draft time as it is! The draft is Labor Day Monday right? I don't have work (til 5pm) OR school (starts at 7) that night. But I will have both the next day.

COLIN KRAPERNICK COST ME A 5TH? SHEEEEEET

Whatever you do, just keep the draft BEFORE Sept. 4th... going to California on the 5th, need to sleep on the 4th and will be without internet for a week.

Edited by The Bear