Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
numberhoan

Underrated Towns/Cities

16 posts in this topic

Maybe this should be in random thoughts.  My apologies!

2013 has been a very eventful year for me and my family:

-my sister's fiance died in a fiery car crash on the way home from coachella

-I finished my masters program(s)  (Botany and Public Policy)

-I'm just getting out of a 4 year relationship with my boyfriend (teehee).  

I'm in fayetteville, NC right now, living with my soon to be ex who is a military captain/pilot, and I'm ready to start a new life elsewhere.  

I'd need to get a job quickly (I'm broke) and i'd want rent to be reasonable.  I actually love NC a lot and am thinking about moving to asheville, charllote, or raleigh, or on the coast.  

BUT I'd also be interested in moving anywhere in the US that is relatively cheap (I grew up in Hawaii) and pretty enjoyable.  I really like the outdoors as well as city life, but my social life has always come second to being outdoors.   

Anyway, if you live in a smaller town and city and love it to death, please tell me about it!

Thanks,

Ryan

Portland, Maine. 

I moved out here from California/Seattle over a year ago and I have really come to enjoy it. It is a small town (66k residents in the city itself) but still has a downtown with a skyline of sorts, great restaurants and beer, water views all around ya and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg to live in downtown. 

I am living on what is known as the East End with an apartment that has a (small) view of the water. It is only 400 bucks for my share of the apartment and it is fucking great. The outdoors and wilderness are only a short drive out of town and it is very easy to find yourself in the middle of nowhere. No traffic, no big crowds yet you still get the feel of a downtown; the food and nightlife of a downtown but without all that hustle and bustle. 

In terms of career options, eh. There are jobs but nothing that will make ya wet.

Moral of the story, it is cool little city that has a lot to offer and is a pretty simple way of life (Maine's state motto: The way life should be). Bands still come through (Saw St. Vincent/David Byrne last month and this week I'm seeing Father John Misty w/ Night Moves, Beach House, and Jason Isbell). Just a place to look into. And Boston is only 2 hours away so if you are dying for a weekend trip to a big city, it ain't too far. 

sorry about your sister's fiancee.

do you miss Hawaii at all?
how do you feel about moving from some place like Hawaii to how humid it is on the east coast? do you get sick of the humidity? I am asking questions about humidity because I am really fucking sick of the humidity right now.

Thanks guys

I don't mind the humidity but I don't want to live anywhere that gets hotter than 100 degrees (F).  Heat is terrible!  

I will definitely check out Portland, Maine.  Thanks man.  

The burbs around Denver aren't too bad. Littleton, Morrison, Lakewood. Morrison is where I'd love to live. Really close to the mountains and like 20to mins from Denver. Its pretty/really dry here so there's little to no humidity and I think so far the hottest day this summer has been like 95.

I know you enjoy the mountains quite a bit and there's a lot if places to hike and rock climb and mountain bike and everybody here is super friendly.

Edited by Reece

I've never heard a single person say even a single bad thing about Austin...

Fact! (besides for conservatives saying it's too liberal or weird for them) I live in Dallas right now and it ain't bad but Austin is where it's at.

Austin is awesome, and as a little bit of everything. 

It can be expensive, but there are some nice areas not too far from downtown that are reasonable. 

Also, you're just a short drive from San Antonio, and Houston isn't too far either. 

I've lived in Austin for the past two years.  It's awesome.  The only downsides are that it's hot as fuck, it's remote from any real wilderness (coming from the NW, this is something I've really started to miss, and I imagine it would be the same for hoan, since his hometown is gorgeous) and the city itself is really not equipped to handle the population.  Also, I know this might sound curmudgeony, but all of the festivals and everything get fucking old.  Austin is the biggest festival-whore of a city in the country. 

Portland isn't exactly a small city, but I'd still take it over Austin.

I would look into Boise.  Boise is small, inexpensive, has a rapidly growing downtown area, and is close to a ton of gorgeous outdoor spots.

Daniel,

Have you been?

To Fayetteville?  Yeah... I went to school in Chapel Hill and my brother's region for work includes Fayetteville, so I've been there as recently as last year.

Check out Bozeman, MT.

hey butthole, if i go to dallas in august will you come up

Theoretically: yes.  Actually: probably wouldn't be able to.  When will you be in town?

The real question is, why would you fly all the way to Texas without visiting Austin, ya big dummy?