Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Johann

Leasing a car...

29 posts in this topic

Going to leasing a car soon. Baby #2 is on the way and I need something safer, but money is too tight to purchase right now. Anyone have experience with lease? Is there any parts of a lease offer that you can negotiate? Or are you pretty much stuck with the terms that the dealerships are offering?

Well I'm glad this thread exists because I was thinking about doing this next month since my current piece of shit 2002 Hyundai Elantra is gonna die anyday soon. And since I don't have like $10,000 saved up and live basically paycheck to paycheck, I think this could be my best option since monthly payments will be lower.

Same for me. 1996 Jeep with 200,000 miles on it.. original transmission and engine. Counting the days until my shit goes. Thinking of leasing a Jeep Patriot as the gas mileage is decent and the payments seem doable. 

here is an idea for anyone who would like to get a car but does not have a lot of money: do not get a new car because it is expensive and miserable to deal with.

follow up sentence: does anyone want to buy a car that has like $12,000 left on the payments?  because wow i don't want it anymore.

less weight = less strain on the engine.  get rid of things like seatbelts, seat cushions, and that always pesky turn signal

Edited by mychael

broken A/C got you down?  dump bucket after bucket of ice water in the vents and turn it on full blast.  uhoh!  don't forget a jacket!

every mother's nightmare: the car won't start, and you've got 45 minutes to get home from the mall before your husband comes home.  what do you do?  always keep a smaller car in the trunk of your normal car for emergencies.  just remember to leave enough room for all the shopping bags ;) ;) !!!

it's raining.  windshield wipers are old and flimsy.  you should have listened to that boy with the long hair at pep boys.  he said you needed new ones, but why should you listen to a hippie?  i mean come on a buzz cut worked for you in 'nam, should be good for him now, right?  anyway, the solution?  SHAMWOW IT'S LIKE A CHAMOIS A TOWEL A SPONGE WORKS WET OR DRY HOLDS 20 TIMES ITS WEIGHT IN LIQUID 4 15x15 INCH TOWELS ONLY $19.95 ORDER NOW SHAMWOW

I couldn't envision myself paying the new-to-used depreciation for a dealer and then walking away.

I lease my benz for $300/month (with good credit) - i had to put a $3,000 down but my lease is 48 months. i like it for two reasons: the car payment would be approx $540-570 if i wanted to buy it and i'm not a car person who babies/takes care of their car so this works well for someone like me who couldn't give two shits about their car other than getting from point A to point B.

i like leasing because you are always driving something new, no commitment, no major repairs etc down the line - down side is you always have a car payment.

^ See that's basically why I wanna lease. I can't afford a dream car right now, but I should be making really good money in a couple years (since I get my Masters next year) so I might as well lease something decent for 3 years and then BUY something awesome later down the line.

Yeah, me too.  Plus I'm dumb at cars and don't know how to fix anything myself.  The only things I could afford to buy would probably need thousands in repairs within a year or two.

So, we're leaning toward a Kia Soul.  Yes, I know it's kind of a goofy looking car and I'm not exactly going to be able to race anyone in it.  But the lease price is right and it's safe for my kid (and soon-to-be new baby).

And I'm with ya, Mixhail, still 2 years away from graduating from grad school.  Hopefully after that I'll be able to get my 1978 Corvette Stingray.  Until then, the budget prevails.

I'd lease one, but I have to drive a lot for work.  My sister got a job as a receptionist at a dealership in Madison, and family can get a 13% discount through her.  When the time comes, I'm still unsure if I should buy used or just get a brand new car with a good discount; my 2001 LeSabre is still going strong, haha.

Edited by Rickety Cricket

real question that is for real not meant to be disrespectful: why would anyone lease a car for $300+ a month if you don't really care about the car?  couldn't you just buy something a LOT cheaper than something that requires leasing?  i pay about $300 a month for a car that i "bought" and i hate it and wish i was dead, i couldn't imagine leasing one for the same amount?

^ Ya but buying something alot cheaper will mostly likely be used. And more likely to breakdown and need work done on it. If you lease a new car, you probably won't have to deal with that shit in that 3-year span, plus I'm pretty sure most dealerships will change your oil and all that maintenance shit for free with the lease.

Still though, if I see good deals on like say a 2011 Corolla or Civic, I may be inclined to get one since those things usually hold up well.

Edited by Mixhail

^ Ya but buying something alot cheaper will mostly likely be used. And more likely to breakdown and need work done on it. If you lease a new car, you probably won't have to deal with that shit in that 3-year span, plus I'm pretty sure most dealerships will change your oil and all that maintenance shit for free with the lease.

Still though, if I see good deals on like say a 2011 Corolla or Civic, I may be inclined to get one since those things usually hold up well.

Personally, I'd never lease a car.  You save sooooooo much money buying something used.  You're not going to have many problems with maintenance unless you buy a shitty VW or one of the less reliable American brands.  Just get a car fax and make sure you aren't buying a car that was totaled or something. 

The whole idea of mileage limits on a leased car is so impractical for me.  Although where I live right now, I travel a lot on business and to visit friends/family all over the state.  Plus vacation trips and random other excursions, having a lease with like 10,000 miles a year would be nearly impossible for me.  This kinda thing happened to a buddy of mine in college, basically had to stop driving his car for the last two months because he was a moron and drove cross country on his leased car.  

Seriously, just get a used Toyota/Honda/Nissan, stay on top of the oil changes every 3k miles, and the 50k/100k maintenance checks and it will be fine.