Mixhail

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

59 posts in this topic

Review of the initial episode from the A.V. Club below. They gave it a B, but mentioned that its still the best new network drama of the season.

Review from Uproxx

Lots of haterade in those comments, but I don’t see an overall consensus as to what most people really expected. You’re not gonna get super top notch Special Effects or Superhero battles on a network show. Game of Thrones has great effects because since they only have 10 episodes a year, they have more room in the budget per episode to do crazy ish. And its not like anything in the episode was flat out BAD, like in pilots for shows like Under the Dome or The Event.

I gave it a B+. Off the bat, Coulson is better than ever. I liked that Skye chick alot, mostly because she had the Whedon dialogue down already and she’s SUPER hot (I also read that she’s only 21, half Chinese and was a pop star in China for awhile WTF). Also I’ve never heard of the phrase “token conspiracy theoriest/groupie before.” Everyone else seems to follow a type or just acts as a character straight from Firefly, but there’s enough hints at backstory for each that they should sufficiently flesh em all out later on. I can’t think of one Drama with a large ensemble cast that OFF THE BAT gave us well rounded, shaded characters (shows like Justified and Breaking Bad did, but they have much smaller casts and are on cable). Otherwise the pilot had some solid action, some pretty funny moments and had a nice unexpected moral lesson at the end that basically spelled out what the show’s really all about. Also I <3 Robin Scherbatsky and am excited to see her on the show next season full time. I thought Maria Hill was supposed to be a cold bitch (or at least that's what I thought was going on in the Civil War comic I heard so much about), so I'm cool with her being kinda snippy and nurturing with Whedon's input.

I'm glad that we're finally getting a legit TV show about living in a world with Superheroes and I think Whedon and his crew will do it justice. Plus it will be pretty cool if the stuff the SHIELD guys work toward solving all season eventually affects the plotlines of The Avengers or other Marvel movies. If it gets good enough to eventually warrant cameos from the major stars of The Avengers, then I think the show will be an even bigger success.

Anyway it got huge ratings off the bat, so it should be safe for awhile.

I thought it sucked and was bland.

Didn't feel special at all.

Wasn't into the cast as a whole, stock characters.

I don't think Whedon was as involved with the pilot as I wish.

but it's the pilot episode and I can see a show like this getting better.

I agree with you guys, it wasn't too bad, but it didn't knock my socks off or anything.

+1 for Sky being super hot, goddamn she's fine.

And I would be very surprised if Whedon has a lot to do with this show going forward.  It sounds more like the same thing JJ Abrams did with Lost and Fringe, you can attach his name to it, but 99% of the show is created by the showrunners.  And the last show they did was Dollhouse, which Joss Whedon produced as well.  I wasn't a big fan of that show, so I dunno.

This show could be good in time.  It will be interesting to see how much of the show's plot will end up being serialized or more procedural.  Kinda like how Fringe started out with a more episodic procedural approach in the beginning to kind of establish the characters and the world, then basically went off the awesome deep end with a more serialized plot from season 2 onwards.  I'm hoping it goes more the Fringe route, because if it's going to be going after a new superhero/villain each week, I might lose interest. 

I wonder what the chances would be of getting some brief cameos from any of the Avengers cast, besides Robin Scherbatsky.  Because that shit would kill it in the ratings during sweeps (which is what I'm sure ABC is hoping). 

I watched it last night while playing poker and was kind of disappointed with it, but I was also only half-paying attention.  I watched it again today because I was supposed to write a review of it for my friend's website and I liked it a lot more on the second watch.  It definitely suffers from being a pilot but I think it has a lot more going for it than against it.  I also realized I was holding it up to a much higher scale since it's associated with Whedon than I would be if it was a random show.  (Also, other than Firefly, all of Whedon's shows have had relatively lame starts before they settle in.)

Gregg killed it as Coulson.  He's always been good but his character came off really solid here.  Reminded me a lot of Mal from Firefly.  (Also, Ron Glass! as a medic, with a secret!)

It's kind of hard to really judge the characters, too, when most of them only had about 10-15 minutes of screen time.  How many good characters from famous TV shows wouldn't be familiar in the first episode (the first season).  Networks want pilots to be as broad as possible to rope in as many people as possible.  Then they zero in.  I don't have much doubt that it'll be a lot of fun. 

That said, the "hero of the week" was really lame.  I liked J. August Richards a lot in Angel but it didn't work, probably because the character was painfully generic.  The lines: “I’m not the bad guy.”  “Yes you are.  It’s simple now.  Just like we used to read about.  You’re the bad guy.  And I’m the hero.”  Yikes.

The other thing I'm kind of worried about is the SHIELD gang just having gizmos that border on magic getting them out of everything without any real potential for failure. 

I also hope they integrate random unknown Marvel heroes into the show and that it could be a potential farm system to get the really good ones their own movies or appearances in the Avengers. This mostly applies to Luke Cage and Iron Fist.

Whatevs, I always start really optimistic with these pilots and then showrunners narrow them down in ways I usually hate. BUT MARVEL'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!

Samuel L. was on tonight's episode in a cameo appearance.  The banter in that scene was solid.

I thought tonight's episode was a blast.  It was a huge improvement over the pilot, mainly because everybody was finally in one place so the show got to have much more of that Whedon banter that makes his shows so much fun.  

The visual effects were pretty impressive too, for a cable TV show.

I didn't like the episode at first, but it got better as it went on. They really do need to incorporate Marvel stuff better cause that was a pretty generic plot. 

And woohoo Nick Fury!

Okay but the inflatable raft plugging a hole in the hull of a jet at 30,000 feet, though.

haha, yeah.  I hate the hole-in-a-plane-creates-a-neverending-blackhole-vortex trope.  I don't know why I dislike it more than so many other stupid action tropes that I'm fine with, but yeah, that was very dumb.

I am literally only watching this show now just because the main chick is so hot. And for more scenes like this:

O8Pe76H.gif

At least they finally introduced a potential supervillain last night.

I'm still waiting for this show to get good.  It's not really happening.

The only character I have any interest in at this point is Coulson and even his whole mystery is starting to get pretty boring. 

I've heard a lot of people online make the comparison that this show is basically Chuck with better special effects, but with worse characters and worse actors who have zero chemistry with each other.  That description feels pretty accurate at this point.  Because as many times as Chuck kinda went off the deep end with it's premise (especially in later seasons), you still had this awesome cast that worked so well together and could carry some of the weaker moments because of that.   With SHIELD, all those weaknesses with the cast just stick out even more when the plot of the episode is terrible (like last night's with the Asgard staff).  

I wouldn't be surprised if this gets cancelled after this season. 

Yeah.  I'm losing interest fast too.  Last night I just had no drive to watch the episode.  I'll probably pick it up at some point, but, meh.

Even Coulson is beginning to lose any real appeal.  Unexpectedly, the only two characters that interest me at all are Fitz and Simmons. 

I think it's salvageable but I kind of think Disney/ABC won't let it change enough to do so. 

I must be the only one who actually likes this show. To be fair though, I never had really high expectations, and only watch it on the train on my way to work.

Skye is hot as shit, easily the best part of this show. She's an average actress, but I don't care... dem titties are worth it.

Fitz and Simmons are the best characters on the show. Their love connection even makes sense, I just hope they don't screw it up by dragging the will they wont they on too long or making it a stupid on again off again.
I don't mind Coulson's mystery, but starting to care less and less about it. Can't make it the closing mystery to half the episodes without revealing anything and expect me to still care. Outside of that, he's the best actor (no surprise).
Ward isn't as bad as he was at the beginning, but he's still a dumb character. I think it would have been much better had they cast an older beefier guy to play the badass commando, not an american apparel model.

May, the quiet badass Asian chick is completely stupid. I would kill her off tomorrow if it was my show.

Overall the show isn't great, but its getting a LOT better. The last few episodes have been pretty good actually, and the most recent one was the best yet. Even made Ward and May suck a little less.

The show is stuck between a rock and a hard place, its a major title but is stuck on a tv budget. People have higher expectations than they should. I doubt Marvel and ABC will cancel it early, I bet it gets two complete seasons at least. Its too big of a show to give up on so early.

May's gonna turn out to be Skye's mom right? The actress who plays Skye is half asian after all, plus you got May's "I see it everyday" line about what haunts her. That makes it pretty funny then if her and Ward boned down as implied at the end of the last episode. Whatever, Skye's pretty fucking boring and I really don't care about her search for her parents, considering she seems totally useless on the team. 

But ya this show is not very good, though not that bad either. I'm still watching it because I'm a sucker. Fitz and Simmons are the best characters on it and when the focus was on the two of them, we had the best episodes yet. Once we got away from them again, the show got boring. They really wasted that whole Thor 2 tie in this week too.

Coulson's story arc needs to wrap up too. It couldn't be more obvious that he's a damn robot now.

I'm with the majority that doesn't know why they're watching it, but they're just drawn to it for some unexplained reason.

Simmons is like a sexier Hermione.

ElizabethHenstridge-as-JemmaSimmons-2.jp

Yeah, it's the biggest disappointment of the season.  I'm still DVRing it, but have had no interest in going back to watch them.  Maybe if I hear that things pick up.  But damn, everything about it is so shitty and bland.

I'm unashamed to say I still watch and enjoy this show. Again probably a result of low effort to watch it and low expectations, but still I like it.

Fitz and Simmons are my favorite things on TV right now. The episode where Simmons returns to the team and Fitz says something like "but you left and I needed you" I got a stomach punch it was so good.

Also Adrianne Palicki is unreasonably attractive GOTDAMN.

^I haven't seen last nights episode yet, but yeah I actually look forward to watching this show the night it actually airs now, instead of drunkenly watching them all in a row on my DVR. Maybe alot of that has to do with the subtle decision to make Simmons the "lead" female now because she's a hell of a lot more interesting and likable than Skye. They also really stepped the quality action sequences and made good long term storylines.

And yeah the show needs to do whatever it can to get Adrianne Palicki on as a full time cast member because she is perfect and smoking hot as whoever the hell her D-list character from the Comics is supposed to be.

I think I watched, like, 1-2 episodes before giving up

I don't know if I should bother investing in this show since I heard most of the 1st season (22 episodes) until the tail end was shit.

I've been waiting for Adrianne Palicki to get involved in something good.

and Patton Oswalt, I heard, is in parts of this show.

I was always crushing on Elizabeth Henstridge (Simmons) over Chloe Bennet (Skye).  Then they had to go Adrianne Palicki everything and confuse my boner.  

I am really intrigued as to whether when and how Ward rejoins the team.