.ken

So this n00b keeps neg repping me

20 posts in this topic

yeah, me too.

Arctic Monkeys, Best of 2013 Music thread, I think Gaslight.

I figure it's some old board member or some shit.

It's typically always the first posts in those threads.

but don't care.

Shit man we should have prizes for meeting certain rep amounts.  You know how cool that would be?

If only I had this idea 2 years ago man this place would be bangin still.

I'm like an internet Miley Cyrus where all my "original ideas" come about 8 months after they've already reached their relevant peaks.

Yeah this dude has hit me a few times too. Probably just Kissmyfist.

Is it just me or is it weird that we might be considering someone from the past to be so butthurt to hang around a message board just to neg rep people.

Your comparison to Miley Cyrus being late to relevance doesn't really work considering she is the hottest thing in pop music right now.

I think what I was going for is to say that Miley has perfected the art of taking something that is already marginally popular in alt/pop culture and hijacking it to use as her own idea for personal gain.

It reminds me in a way of how Lady Gaga exploited Grace Jones to some extent, albeit a few decades after people had forgotten about her.  Miley by comparison is really just taking present day Hip-Hop/Rap culture and adopting it for her own needs.

At least guys like Macklemore are providing a relevant twist to that kind of culture.  I feel like Miley has almost perverted it rather than changed or improved it.  Her version of that culture seems very artificial and contrived rather than sincere or artful.

In a nutshell, I think Miley has gained a lot of popularity but lost all her credibility with anyone who actually values art or sincerity.  When you look at the artists who have actually worked with her lately (WillIAM, Nelly, French Montana) these are all artists who have historically not cared about artistic integrity.  Pretty much any serious artist won't work with her now because they see her as a farce.  Hell, even kanye has been hesitant to work with her, and he's been skating the line between art and tabloid fodder for years.  She herself is going to be exploited by a lot of black artists in the near future who want to use her as a catalyst for fame or something darker such as backhanded satire.  She simply can't survive in this sort of capacity.  Eminem survived because he was sincerely coming from a place of honesty: a white person from an obviously African American background who had real talent.  Miley is a white person masquerading as a black person with no background in African American culture and only marginal talent.

And wow this doesn't remotely belong in this thread.

Edited by AC Slater

Exactly.  The point is, she seems to think that what she's doing NOW (as opposed to before) is somehow "artsy" or "unique".  It's not.  And any half-decent pop or mainstream artist can smell that a mile away.

Let's be honest.  Most of her popularity is simply based on the shock-factor of seeing a former Disney star transform into Slutty Gaga overnight.  And the ultimate irony of it, is I don't even think Miley is aware of that.  I think Miley very simply saw something she wanted (to actually become Nikki Minaj...etc) and just went for it.  She seems to believe her fame is due to the fact that she's done well at this.  (She hasn't.  She's merely copycatting.)  But luckily for her, she has her newfound fame due to the uniqueness of her situation, and not her art.  People claiming she is some sort of advanced musical troll are completely deluded.  Miley has a very limited purview of her situation as a whole and doesn't even understand the primary driving force behind her popularity.  At the end of the day she's a young girl who's trying desperately hard to transform herself into something she really wants to be, and while that something is entirely unoriginal and lacking any deep artistic merit, she's been very lucky due to her CONTEXT surrounding it.