Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carmellomangexp

Cris Collinsworth

11 posts in this topic

There seem to be many people out there who make it a goal in life to never stop complaining about Cris Collinsworth. And I seem to be one of a very small minority of people who actually like him a lot.

96% of what I hear is basically "OMFGz Collinsworth needs to STFU already nobody likes this piece of shit dick-licker motherfucker, he needs to pull (future hall-of-fame football player's) cock out of his ass and get off the air already because he's a faggot dumbass BIASED asshole who has never made a comment that wasn't totally obvious and he knows nothing about anything."

I have several theories on this.

1. People who play Madden a lot are tired of his voice, have been conditioned to be annoyed by it, and confuse the stock phrases they've heard over and over a million times with what he does in real life. 

2. People are under the misinterpretation that color commentary should be 100% unbiased at all cost, and they cannot handle someone who heaps praise on players who do not play for their home team.

3. It has just become fashionable to bash him for whatever reason. A snowball effect. It's not only accepted, it's encouraged, and people can't help themselves at this point because I guess it's cool.

4. It's an opportunity to imply that you know much more about the game of football and the inner-workings of the NFL than the guy who has that job. 

5. The actual keen insights that he offers on the more nuanced elements of the game go over the heads of more casual fans, and thus they never perceive any value in them. 

I think he's very good at his job, and just about every game he makes a few calls that I feel are pretty enlightening, or at least interesting. I happen to find his personality appealing, and I generally like a guy who has actual human feelings about players/games/situations and is not afraid to share them. Most importantly, I think there's a huge difference between disliking someone's style and making ridiculous, over-the-top declarations that they are unfit or incapable of performing their job effectively. 

Any thoughts? Interested to know what some of you d00ds think. 

Don't mind him at all.

He might come across as smug and everything, especially that smile, but don't care.

I think EVERY announcer has their quirks and tendencies that they might not be so aware of that they beat into the ground.

That every announcer will typically praise the best player over and over again.

Mike Mayock might be one of the best IMO and is insightful

but

he talks WAY too much and feels like he has to speak to fill up dead air.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66008790/

A friend just sent this article to me, apropos of nothing. I feel quite vindicated. It's a ranking of commentator teams, according to an admittedly silly metric. But then again, such a metric would have to be pretty silly, right?

In regards to Michaels/Collinsworth

They're generally regarded as one of the best in the business, and I agree. Collinsworth is articulate and gives more useful insight than any other commentator, and it's not even close.

haha yeah, I heard about that on Twitter and meant to read it ASAP and then post it here

figures that:

-Dan Dierdorf would be the worst

-still don't care for Joe Buck even if he's called 'one of the best in the business'...fuck that shit

-was looking forward to Jon Gruden's grading the most

-Collinsworth got hit because he 'bends over backwards' to praise a superstar/head coach...but I feel like announcers HAVE to do that and are obligated to do it. I wish there was an alternative HBO version where maybe a sports fan like Artie Lange/Denis Leary or somebody drank and announced the game. I'd pay $ for that shit

Collinsworth's reputation as a broadcaster got demolished when he was on Fox. I think a lot if the hate comes from that period, because he truly sucked. My dad and I have both commented on how much better he's gotten since he joined the Sunday night crew (been awhile now).

Jon Gruden? Guy praises people from the practice squad during games.

He isn't annoying, but he is pretty over the top.

But they're all FOOTBALL PLAYERS making FOOTBALL PLAYS!!