Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blackstar

Goodbye Boreds

36 posts in this topic

i'll keep it short, since most of you don't care. on Monday i'm embarking on a new path in life, and likely won't be in touch anymore. i've been reading some incarnation of these boards for over 10 years; i joined the Thrice board in 2002 and began contributing in April 2003. more than anything this is a thank-you, as i joined at a time when i was deeply unfocused, questioning my role in life and feeling increasingly isolated. at the very least this experience showed me there were more people like me than i had imagined, and that not only were you interesting people but you liked the same (let's face it, relatively unpopular) music and books and ideas that i was just then buying into. for the first time i became some part of an online community, and got to share the inside jokes of flabjacks, the Thrice Breakup etc. even if i didn't participate in that section of the board as much as others. further, i've always considered these Boards as for music nerds first and foremost, and i have to sincerely thank all of you for your recommended contributions to my music library and musical opinions.

the larger impact on me, however, came from the Issues forum. it worked against my autodidactic nature and helped shape my intellectual (such as it is) landscape more than any other development in my life; and i don't just mean in terms of God v. No God, Democrat v. Republican but in the sense of what it means to know things, and to be able to argue for or champion those things in the face of (committed!) opposition. that was a gift i don't know that i could have received in my real life; almost certainly not as an isolated, high school dropout field worker. the process of understanding garnered from not only argument but watching other people's arguments and perspectives change as the conversation went on was not only enlightening but life-affirming. to those who invested most in that process, i say a heartfelt thank you: my friend Tom, the great Enigmatic, fellside, endserenading, METALISCOOL, Zach, Tony, my buddy montyramon, haverchuck and to everyone else who contributed thoughts or who gained something from that conversation along the way: keep thinking, keep speaking, keep reasoning (cite your sources!) and hopefully this medium won't ever go out of style.

so, goodbye boreds, and i hope you're still running 10 years from now.

~ Ben

Damn, I am late to the farewell party, but thank you Blackstar for pretty much singlehandedly getting me into Pro Soccer after the World Cup in 2010. Your giant writeups about each star player to look out for on each team was key in getting me to start watching the game more and more. Sucks that I never learned how you really got into Barcelona or soccer in the first place. Nor do I recall you discussing your personal life much at all (hell I don't even know where you're from... I think you mentioned Chicago at one point?). But thanks again for contributing to a slew of intelligent debates in every section of the Boreds over the years.

Now please tell me you aren't moving to Mongolia like Thrice's old manager.

It's funny how the Internet lets you chat with people on a whole list of different and personal topics for years with the same person without even knowing their first name.

On a personal note to Ben, you will be missed. Although I think you are overly stubborn on some topics, your opinions on foreign policy and religion are much needed in the world, specially with the amount of detail that went into each one of your posts. Farewell. -Gomez.

I think it's a trip that you "wont be in touch anymore". life is a trip, you need to say goodbye, cause you won't be checking in - it almost feels like you have to "check out" say goodbye, let everyone know your soul/mind/whatever is no longer going to be joining this... room.

Sorry, I smoked weed after my soccer game.