Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mikey

Random Thoughts: Video Games

450 posts in this topic

Wow, my interest in Watch Dogs went from pumped in 2012 to pretty much non-existent today. When are video games going to move on from these shitty rehashed story-lines and cliched characters and give us something good. I swear, The Walking Dead and Bioshock Infinite have spoilt me.

But, totally excited for South Park: The Stick of Truth.

I agree to an extent but I think you should look to some Indie games.  There are a bunch of talented studios that are making smaller games that you might dig.  It seems like every year my favorite games come from a mix of AAA games and unexpected games smaller games.

Also, I really want South Park...I'm fighting the urge to pay full price and buy the game later.

Wow, my interest in Watch Dogs went from pumped in 2012 to pretty much non-existent today. When are video games going to move on from these shitty rehashed story-lines and cliched characters and give us something good. I swear, The Walking Dead and Bioshock Infinite have spoilt me.

But, totally excited for South Park: The Stick of Truth.

I'm with you on Watch_Dogs....but Bioshock Infinite had some of the most boring gameplay in years.

Stick of Truth is AMAZING though. I enjoy it a lot.

Frog Factions kickstarter is still ongoing and hasn't hit it's goal yet!  If you haven't played the first game...it's a browser game from 2012.  The game can be finished rather quickly and it was one of my favorite games from a few years ago.  Below are links to the kickstarter and the website for Frog Fractions 1.

http://twinbeard.com/frog-fractions

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/475057068/frog-fractions-2?ref=live

Still playing a ton of SC2. I'm Diamond finally.

Anoteros.381

Also play Dark Souls 2 and other random steam games.

AnoterosTV on skype

Still playing a ton of SC2. I'm Diamond finally.

Anoteros.381

Also play Dark Souls 2 and other random steam games.

AnoterosTV on skype

How did peeps like South Park?

I play a lot of Dota now.

In the last 6 months I've put 200 hours into Rust, an unfinished PC game and have made actual "friends" through that game that I game with at least once a week which I find kind of weird.

I played Day Z which is like Rust but worse.

I got into Diablo 3 again for the expansion and now I don't play it but won't uninstall it because I feel like I should play it maybe again someday soon.

Hearthstone is fun and free and pretty simple to understand.

I have PS+ and get random "free" games every month. This month it was Pro Evolution Soccer 2014. I do not like soccer. I do love this game. 

Titanfall was fun. Played a bunch. Probably will never play again.

Oh, and Dark Souls. Started over for the 3rd or 4th time. Each time I do better though. It gives you no guidance so you have to figure it out yourself or do a lot of online reading. Difficult but oh so rewarding. Rarely do you die because of the game being cheap. You die because you fucked up. You need patience. 

EDIT:

If you want to play Dota with someone who doesn't care if you suck, I'm Eloheim on Steam and my icon is a sexy fat bearded man (RIP) and my name is Josh. When you click on my profile it'll say my name is Josh. So that's me. Click add friend. We'll play Dota together and lose a bunch because of you being new, not because of me because I'm awesome.

Edited by Random Encounter

I played a bit of South Park and think it may be one of the best games of the years.  I still throw the show on from time to time and all the references to old shows are amazing.  I'll pick it up when the price hits about $20 bucks.

Rust is a game I really wanted to play.  I used to watch people play it on Twitch but I never bought it.  I really want to play a game with a cool community but I didn't feel like getting murdered over and over.  I might still pick it up.  You see that new game "The Forest?"  Looks interesting.

Do you want a copy of Hammerwatch?  It is like old-school Gauntlet.

I've been playing a bit of Transistor.  Bastion is one of my favorite games of all time and this game is pretty interesting.  The soundtrack is amazing so far.

I built a PC this weekend!  Well my friends did most of it for me, but it is prettay sweet.  I have only played Diablo 3 on it so far, but I bought the newest XCOM and the expansion for Steam and Civilization is getting delivered to my house today.

I played a bit of South Park and think it may be one of the best games of the years.  I still throw the show on from time to time and all the references to old shows are amazing.  I'll pick it up when the price hits about $20 bucks.

Rust is a game I really wanted to play.  I used to watch people play it on Twitch but I never bought it.  I really want to play a game with a cool community but I didn't feel like getting murdered over and over.  I might still pick it up.  You see that new game "The Forest?"  Looks interesting.

Do you want a copy of Hammerwatch?  It is like old-school Gauntlet.

I've been playing a bit of Transistor.  Bastion is one of my favorite games of all time and this game is pretty interesting.  The soundtrack is amazing so far.

Rust - I just took a glance at Steam and saw that I've put 235 hours into Rust and a majority of that was during January and February. It's the type of game where you always have something to do so shutting it off can always be pushed back because you just need to gather 250 more wood. The community can definitely suck. But there are those rare occasions when you're running around naked just trying to kill a fucking pig with a rock and a group of asshole start shooting and you run only to find another group of people so both are converging on you and gunshots everywhere but the second group just wipes out the first group to protect you and your rock and then they drop a bunch of guns and resources for you so you can start building a camp. I honestly play multiplayer games a lot but I have never met cool people through them. Because I was a nice guy and was on a server for so long, I literally brought peace between warring factions by talking to both sides and, if some new fuck joined the server and killed me, I could ask 10 guys to go and destroy his base. For me, it has been a lot of fun and I don't play it anymore simply because I've put so much time into it and all those people I met don't play anymore (although I do still game with them sometimes through other games). I am waiting for more stuff to come out for it and I know I'll be playing it again. Of course, if you do pick it up, I will definitely jump on a server with you.

Downloaded a torrent for The Forest just to see if it's any good. There are so many of these survival games that I need to check them out before I buy them. Day Z was a waste of money as was Nether. Stomping Ground looks like it could be cool but a majority of these survival games are Early Access and I just can't convince myself to spend more money on games that aren't finished.

I do want to look into Transistor, too. I did like Bastion a bit. The narrator more than anything else but still.

Just looked at Hammerwatch and it seems pretty cool but if you're doing anything else with the game don't worry about sending it to me (however, I will play the shit out of it :-)).

I've been replaying Knights of the Old Republic and the sequel, both were really such good games.  I played through a couple of the classes when they released the SWTOR, it was pretty fun for a while, but goddamn, they need to make a proper KOTOR 3 sometime.  Considering the Old Republic is thousands of years in the past, they could literally do anything they wanted in that time span.  Or if they updated the combat a bit as well, could you imagine how cool it would be if it had combat similar to the Witcher 2 or something like that? 

And not sure if any of you guys are backers for Star Citizen, but they just released the first alpha combat module to backers.  It's still a bit rough around the edges and not much to do with it yet, but holy shit, this game has a lot of promise.  Personally, I'm more interested in the single player portion right now, I just don't have the time to sink into MMOs or MMO-like games anymore.  I'll still play it, but even if they can do half of what they are claiming in MP, this game is going to be so goddamn good.

That game does look pretty good but I don't like their "pledge" system so I'll wait until it comes out officially. 

KOTOR 1 was one of my favorite games back in the day. I skipped school to play it and didn't stop playing until late at night and then skipped school the next day. Also, being an angry depressed high schooler back then, I went on message boards and spoiled who you really are in KOTOR and got banned from all of them. Huge dick move. NOT ONLY THAT...I hid the spoiler in messages where the title was asking for help. So those who got it spoiled were just trying to help a random internet guy get past a hard part of the game. Yea...not cool but it happened.

I was so PUMPED for TOR but then I played TOR and thought it was cool and then I kept playing TOR and got to the end game and realized the stories were less than memorable and that was the whole point of KOTOR. Never beat KOTOR 2. Wasn't a bioware game and for some reason it just didn't click.

I have too many games that I'm excited for that are early access (Star Citizen now being one of them) and I'm concerned that being in early access will make the wait for a true release longer. So, not cool.

Yeah, Bioware didn't make KOTOR2, it was the same guys who made Fallout New Vegas.  If you haven't played through KOTOR2 all the way yet, they released a mod that restores a huge portion of the cut content, especially the stuff at the end that made a lot of people dislike the game.  There are also some additional mods that really help out the game as well, a widescreen fix, tons of armor and weapon packs, and new character models/heads. 

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

I definitely say to give it another shot, the Restored Content mod fixes so many of the problems with that game, it's well worth it.

I pledged for Star Citizen a long ways back, well before they even passed the 20 million mark, I think now they are close to $45 million, which is fucking crazy for being completely crowd funded.  This has really been the only crowd-funded game I've been a part of.  The Wing Commander series was some of my favorite games growing up and with the the almost complete absence of any spaceship sims out in years, I'm glad we are getting something with such high quality as Star Citizen. 

So, I have about 10 games that I either haven't started or I'm very early in and all I want to do is buy "Always Sometimes Monsters."  I know if I buy it it'll only get added to the queue.  Ugh.

Story of my life and I hate to torrent indie games so I do my best not to (but sometimes I'm just too poor and can't help it). I especially don't torrent if I have so many other games I want to play....

ALSO!

Remembered last night that it's almost summer.......................................................................................................................................................................goodbye any money I once had......................................................................