Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mikey

Random Thoughts: Video Games

450 posts in this topic

I still have an extra PS3 Beta key for Destiny if you want one.  I'm at work right now, but I can send it to you later today when I get back.

So I spent much of yesterday on the phone with my ISP regarding the whole NAT3 subject I've had with the PS3.  Apparently, the only way around this for me would to buy a static IP address from them because apparently "the size of my apartment complex is too large to make such drastic changes as port forwarding to the entire complex and would open up all the computers to attack" which sounds like bullshit to me.  I'm going to try to speak to someone else tomorrow because I don't think that guy knows what he's talking about.

Fuck, this is such bullshit.  I was already on the fence with ISP, the internet service is good, it's rarely down, but if they can't help me with playing a PS3 online, it's retarded.  I also have cable bundled with Internet, but their cable packages suck, they just removed all Viacom channels (MTV, Comedy Central) and no On Demand service. 

At least now I have some real motivation to switch I guess.

Sure.  I'll take one if you have an extra. :D  My only issue is I don't have a headset for the PS3.  This seems like a game where you should be communicating with your teammates.

Well, Destiny is awesome.  I got to play with some friends yesterday.  Unfortunately, I don't have a headset for the PS3 but I still had fun.  I probably won't buy this for a console but I might consider it for the PC when/if it is released.  Thanks again for the Beta Key.

I picked up Divinity: Original Sin yesterday.  I traded some TF2 keys to a guy so the price came out to about $19 bucks or so.  Giant Bomb's quick look got me super interested so I had to check out.

Well, Destiny is awesome.  I got to play with some friends yesterday.  Unfortunately, I don't have a headset for the PS3 but I still had fun.  I probably won't buy this for a console but I might consider it for the PC when/if it is released.  Thanks again for the Beta Key.

I picked up Divinity: Original Sin yesterday.  I traded some TF2 keys to a guy so the price came out to about $19 bucks or so.  Giant Bomb's quick look got me super interested so I had to check out.

No problem.  I wish I had a chance to play more of Destiny, but I kept getting disconnected due to my shitty ISP.  I might give it a try when it comes to PC as well.

Divinity is an awesome game if you like that old school RPG feel.  It took me quite a while to get to use to having no idea where to go or what to do, since there is zero quest tracking on the maps.  The one thing I learned though, a lot of times if you get stuck, the best way to move forward is to either break into people's houses and look around for clues, especially in the first city. 

Also, if you are making a melee character that uses 2-handed skills, always stat dump into STR for like the first 10 levels because the strength requirements are high on level appropriate drops.  So if you do a hybrid melee/magic build, you will be stuck using the same sword for so much of the game.

That being said, pure classes are a lot better than hybrids in this game.  An wizard and a knight will be so much easier to play than say a shadowblade and battlemage combo. 

It's a fun game though.  I'm still on the 3rd area (4 total in this game), my problem is I haven't played in a week or so and I completely forgot where I'm suppose to go haha.  The game is pretty brutal to players in that regard, there is zero hand-holding here.

I played a couple hours yesterday and...damn...this game is superb.  I read up on the game for about an hour before I jumped into it.  I made a Wizard and a Ranger for my two mains.  I only made it to the first town but I thought about this game all day.  Kinda upset because this is a heavy work week and I won't have much time to play it.

I absolutely hate when you forget what you were doing in a game.  I tried to jump into Batman after not playing for a month or two and the combat was too much for me.  I couldn't remember how to counter specific enemies and had to start over.  

Started playing Divinity Original Sin and had restarted Skyrim a few weeks ago as well and I have the same problem with both games.

Diviinty takes a while to get started in the first town because you have to walk around and talk to people for hours. Skyrim does something similar with in-town quests. GENTLEMAN, I JUST WANT TO HIT THINGS! Skyrim lets you go wherever you want and hit things but Diviinity doesnt in the beginning so I haven't been able to marathon that game like I thought I would.

Also playing Dark Souls 2 and since I just beat Dark Souls a few days ago, I seem to have forgotten what it's like to have to hit enemies more than 3 times and have died constantly. Much better looking than the original and it's Dark Souls so of course you die over and over.

Yeah, Divinity starts out pretty slow with the murder mystery.  But once you get to level 3, you can start fighting things past the Western Gate, it's kinda North West.  Don't forget to pick up the free 2 companions before you leave though.

I dusted off my Wii and have been playing Xenoblade Chronicles.  Holy shit, this game is pretty awesome.  I don't know why I didn't keep up with it the first time I played it, I had an old save with a couple hours in it, but man, for a fucking Wii game they really made it awesome.  Huge levels, fun combat system, good customization/inventory, and a surprisingly dark story.  I also like how for JRPG, none of the characters are mopey/sad all the time, they all just want to get revenge against the bad guys and kick ass.  It's suppose to be like a 60-100 game depending on the amount of sidequests.  Such a fun game if you dig JRPGs.

I cannot find a SHOVEL in the divinity murder mystery! I read online that there's one in the graveyard (nope) and one in the first spot (nope) and ive talked to every named NPC in the game so far (nope). Only place left is in that tutorial dungeon. Sick of it. SICK OF IT!

Hahaha.  Dude, there is one right by the fight you have with the Orcs on the beach.  It is right in front of the portal.  I'm like 24 hours in according to steam (I'm sure about 5 hours of that is idle time) and I haven't finished the murder investigation yet.  I'll usually run around town solving quests/stealing paining and then I go fight for awhile.  Once you get the shovel you can go into the little dungeon in the graveyard.  You're probably almost level 3...lot's of fighting after that.

h2v4ospba3rm0br1i3rw.jpg

if there isnt a shovel there then you and i have a serious problem bud...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE WAS A SHOVEL THERE BUT THE GODDAMN TEXT DIDNT SHOW UP! THE GAME IS ALREADY OUT TO GET ME! UGH!

but thanks for helping <3

Edited by Random Encounter

Glad you found it man.  The text won't always show up for me either.  I'm wondering if a higher perception will allow you to see more items.

I hit level 7 and just picked up the "Glass Canon" trait for my mages.  Should allow me to regain full AP points every turn but your health is only at 50%  Still digging this game hard.

Got Super Mario Galaxy 2 a year or so ago. It's my second favorite game of all time (Fallout 3 is #1) but I hadn't touched it much since I bought it the second time. You may say to yourself, hey Random Encounter, you must have really enjoyed that game a lot and before today I would've said I did have a lot of fun. BUT THEN I TRIED IT AGAIN AND I HATE PLAYING THIS GAME. The game itself is great. The jumping feels good, the levels are amazing and well-made and the things they do with them are creative and Way Too Much Fun. BUT THE WII CONTROLS SUCK MORE THAN ANYTHING HAS EVER SUCKED EVER. I got close to the 120 stars the first time I played it and I don't know how. Some of the stars require PRECISION but how can there be PRECISION if I shake the controller to throw a fireball and NO FIREBALL COMES WHICH MEANS I'M JUST SHAKING MY CONTROLLER NONSTOP AS I SLOWLY SINK TOWARD THE BOSS WITH 1 LIFE AND IF THE CONTROLLER WORKED HE WOULD HAVE BEEN A PILE OF ASHES BY NOW BUT NO NO NO IT HAS TO FUCKING SUCK SO I DIE AND I TRY IT AGAIN AND I DIE AND I DIE AND I DIE. I just wish ninentdo stopped making hardware and put out their amazing games on PS or Xbox because they suck at what they're doing.

If I don't really enjoy Baldur's Gate, can I still enjoy Divinity, do you think?

'

To be honest, I think it depends on what you didn't like about Baldur's Gate.  Why didn't you like it?

Divinity has a more straight forward story and quest line.  There are multiple ways to complete quests depending on what skills you have leveled up, but the combat mechanic is VERY level based and pretty limited in scope, so getting from level 10-12 will always happen in the level 10-12 area on the map.  It's pretty focused in that regard.

Divinity has very shallow companions.  They don't really impact the story.

The quest tracking is very similar in both games, you have to read the dialogue very carefully in order to know where to go.  There aren't any quest trackers.  If you hated that part of BG, you will really hate that part in Divinity, because I think it's often harder to find the right place to go.

The combat between the two games are very different.  Divinity is turn based, kinda like X-Com or Fallout 2, each character can only do so many actions based on Action Points.  It's not based on invisible D&D rules and I feel it's much more strategic than BG.

I would broadly say this:

-BG has a better story and companions that impact the story, but the Divinity story is still very solid and much funnier than BG, so you really could go either way based on your preferences.

-Both have similar questing systems that are very open ended

-Combat is better in Divinity

I don't know, I guess I just don't really enjoy the mechanics of the game.  I hate the D and D business.  I do love lots and lots of turn-based rpg's though.

I never played any of the Mario Galaxy games.  Always wanted to check them out since they were both game of the year-esque games.  It would be nice if Nintendo was a software developer but Sega's story scares me.  I thought they could be a big time developer and everything fell apart.  Of course, Nintendo has huge first-party games but who knows what would happen.

As for Divinity...I got addicted to it.  I can't say I've ever been into turn-based games.  I did beat Final Fantasy Tactics back in 1998 or whenever it came out.  But outside of a few hours of XCom I have basically ignored the genre.  I'm having a lot of fun with the combat in this game.  I've never played Baldur's Gate but I can see myself playing more turn-based games in the future.

Edited by Breath of Water

So, it's been quiet on the video game front over here. Replayed the original PS1 Metal Gear and then wanted to play the second and third, etc. so bought the HD collection. That and Dark Souls 2 every once in a while. BUT THEN, SUDDENLY, 2 FANTASTIC GAMES ARRIVED ON STEAM!

Cannon Brawl! Like a Worms 2D tower defense RTS game where you're a ship and you place towers that shoot, fire lazers, shield, make money, etc. but (other than the money makers) the towers only work if you fly your ship over there and use them. Playing multiplayer is crazzzzy with its stressful and non-stop gameplay. SUGGEST IT FOR EVERYONE BECAUSE I NEED FRIENDS TO PLAY IT!

BUT WAIT, ANOTHER GAME! Lethal League...simple game, you or you and a teammate fight another person or another team. How? With a ball! A ball falls down in the middle of the 2D landscape and everyone tries to hit it with a bat,cane, etc. at the other team. The teams keep hitting it back and forth. If you or your team was the last to hit the ball then it can't hurt you but if the other team hit it last and it hits you YOU LOSE A POINT. The ball speeds up and there are specials and stuff and it's SO MUCH FUN.

Both games 14.99 or lower. Get them. Please.

I am apparently really really really late on this, but I got into Civilization V over the last month and it has consumed my life. On one hand its a good thing because it got me to stop drinking everyday on the weekend. On the other, it may be the solution to deep space travel because I shit you not you can not comprehend the actual time passing by while playing this game. For instance, last Friday I decided to start playing at 9pm at night. All of a sudden it was 6 fucking AM. Jesus.

Anyway, this game tickles all my fancies. I just got my Master's in Public Administration with a Concentration in Urban Management, and because I have a job right now that really doesn't involve either of those things, I get my Urban Planning rocks off to this game. It's just so cool how detailed each of the real life civilizations are and how they reflect true historical events in the past. Of course, Ghandi likes to use nukes all the time and for some reason the Koreans and Babylon have the best Science gains, but whatever.

If you have nothing better to do, I definitely recommend getting this. It's endless fun for just $50, but each game will take you at least a couple days to complete on normal speed. I also fucking sucked the first couple weeks of playing at it, but now I'm finally doing work on Normal difficult and actually winning the games. And I love how there are like 5 different ways to win. Last time I won through conquering the world through battle, and now I'm just building monuments as Egypt and doing work with Diplomacy and Tourism. Good shit.

Also props to Reddit for getting me up to speed with everything in it. Plus the subreddit is full of weird inside Civ jokes that take me forever to get, but I then love.

Oh and it was my little brother who got me into it. I just got the game for Mac and I'm kinda bummed that I was playing his version on his PC and that the graphics suck now. But we were talking about doing a multiplayer game and it would probably look just like the South Park World of Warcraft episode, where we don't move from our seats for 18 hours.

Edited by Mixhail

I've loved the civ series since 3 and I'm glad you found it because it can suck a lot of time out of your life but in a sort of good way. A lot of fun. Have tried the multiplayer but people always lose interest which isn't cool but whatever. I AM ABSOLUTELY PUMPED for Civilization: Beyond Earth which is coming out sometime in the next few months. It's a space civilization. The creator of Civ used to make a space civ arou nd a decade ago and now he's going back to it so I'm excited. 

Also, got Destiny. Wanted to wait for reviews to tell me if there's enough content to warrant buying it but I couldn't wait. The game is fun, I play a lot of it, but there is definitely a sense of something missing. Everything seems really "loose." Or empty. I don't know how to describe it but I'm having fun and I'm sure Bungie will figure out that missing piece (whatever it is) for the sequel.

part of me thinks Destiny is the biggest joke in the history of gaming....but i still can't stop playing it. Hopefully they continue to add a lot of content to make the game a little more interesting and not so repetitive 

They have two big expansions coming and have said they are going to be focusing on this "platform" for the next 10 years...to me that means the 2 expansions for this game adding probably %50 more content and then destiny 2. That's my guess at least.

Have they said anything about Destiny coming to PC yet? 

The only rumors I've heard is that they were waiting to see how well Destiny sells in the first couple weeks; if they make back enough money, PC version would be on the way.  I hate when developers do that, release the console version first, so everyone is tempted to play it immediately, then release the PC version months later and everyone buys it for a second time because it's the superior platform.  Rockstar is really doing that with GTA5, first with 360/PS3, and now XB1/PS4 in a few months, and again for the PC earlier next year.  I wonder how many people are going to buy the game 3 times, hahah.

And a heads up for you guys, Wasteland 2 is coming out on the PC this Friday.  It's a turn based RPG like Divinity: Original Sin, but takes place in a post-apocalyptic world similar to Fallout.  So it's kinda like an updated version of Fallout 2, like how Divinity:OS updated the classic Balder's Gate.  It's currently out on Steam, but it's still the incomplete beta version.  The release version will be cheaper and have the full game, but it looks really fucking sweet.  Check it out if you guys liked Divinity:OS, X-Com, Fallout 2/3. 

So a spiritual successor to the PS1 and Genesis game ROAD RASH just hit steam early access...multiplayer, missions, upgrade your rider...looks cool and it's Road Rash so...probably gonna buy it except it's early access and I've only had 1 early access game that I've bought actually officially release so maybe not...called Road Redemption. Check it out.