Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mikey

Random Thoughts: Video Games

450 posts in this topic

So a spiritual successor to the PS1 and Genesis game ROAD RASH just hit steam early access...multiplayer, missions, upgrade your rider...looks cool and it's Road Rash so...probably gonna buy it except it's early access and I've only had 1 early access game that I've bought actually officially release so maybe not...called Road Redemption. Check it out.

I saw that as well, let me know if it's any good if you buy it.  Road Rash was the shit back in the day.

Wasteland 2

So I finally sunk in a couple hours over the last two days and so far, it's really damn good.  I would say that if you guys liked Divinity: Original Sin, you'll probably like Wasteland 2.  There are a lot of similarities, but also many differences too.

Wasteland 2 is a lot more combat focused than Divinity is.  So far, the majority of the quests rely more heavily on combat, rather than exploring/hunting for solutions like a lot of the quests in DIvinity.  That being said, the combat in Wasteland is also a lot more simplified and straight forward.  There is nothing like the magical elements aspect in this game, it's really all about positioning your guys into cover and shooting (much more like X-Com I'd say).  So, it's kinda a mixed bag for me; I liked the deepness and options you have more in Divinity, but I also like that combat takes the central role in Wasteland, it's still handled really, really well, it's just not as diverse as Divinity.

I am also more partial to the Wasteland world so far over Divinity, but that's more of a preference than anything else.  Fans of Fallout will feel right at home with all the Raiders, mutated animals, killer plants, zombies and robots. 

The dialogue is very well done, but Wasteland uses a keyword system for it's dialogue, I don't mind it, but I can see how people might dislike it. 

The recruitable henchman in Wasteland are 1000 times better than anything done in Divinity.  A lot of them are central to the story, your decisions will impact them and they might even leave you if they disagree with what you're doing (from what I understand, I havent had that happen yet). 

The story in Wasteland 2 is much, much more branching than that in Divinity.  The developers keep saying how everyone's playthrough will end up being very different, I can see that considering all the choices you'll have to make. 

I'd definitely recommend it if you guys are fans of Fallout, Divinity, or X-Com.  It takes a lot of good qualities from those games and makes it something unique, fun, and very enjoyable.

I've been meaning to post here the last few days.  Random thoughts:

I've played a lot of Marvel Heroes 2015 over the last month.  I've put a good 50 hours into it but might be done for a while.  The game is interesting and there are a lot of awesome characters to fiddle around with.  I guess I've been looking for a MMO-type game to get into but I'm not a big fan of playing with random people so I don't know what I'm looking for.

I have Civ 5 Complete but I only turned it on once and got overwhelmed after 5 minutes.

I just downloaded Fallout 2 and plan on checking that out.  I got it for free when GOG was giving it away but totally forgot about it until today's Steam sale (Fallout 1 + 2, Tactics).  There is also some website ( has has fixed some of the games bugs and upped the resolution.  Should be interesting doing my first play through considering Fallout 3 is probably my favorite game ever.

I'll probably pick up Wasteland 2 soon but I want them to work on some of the bugs etc. first.  I'm totally into post-apocalyptic games.

I really want to play Dead Rising on the PC.  I'll have to wait for some sales but I'll grab it.

Road Rash was one of my favorite games as a kid (cattle prod!!!).  $17 bucks it a little more than I want to pay to see if I'm still into it though...

I'm super looking forward to the Lord of the Ring game coming out at the end of this month.

I almost jumped back into Marvel Heroes but I had just gotten Diablo 3 and Destiny for PS3 so I didn't think I needed MORE loot grindy bullshit. Currently, not going to put that 17 into a new road rash but maybe in a month or so, see how it goes. Played 15 mins of Wasteland 2 and will play more but don't have much to say about it. 

I wish I had a PS4...I really want to play Destiny.

Reviews were just released for Shadows of Mordor.  I already was super interested and was hoping for decent reviews (7 range...some 8's maybe).  Everyone seems to love it so I'm going to pick it up.  People are trading the premium version for 15 TF2 keys on Steam (15 x $2.36 = $35.40).  

I hate scary games but I'll probably buy Neverending Nightmares when it is released.  I put a bit of money into the kickstarter and the guy making the game is pretty interesting.  The game is based off of his nightmares and some of his mental health issues.  Check out the trailer on Steam.

Damn, Titanfall is still fun. Looking forward to getting Destiny and Forza 2 here soon, followed by Evil Within and Halo Master Chief Collection.

I fucking love Xbox One.

Besides playing Wasteland 2 this week, my friend convinced me to give Elder Scrolls Online a shot since it was half off on Steam.  I didn't like it very much in the Beta, it felt really incomplete and poorly designed.  After playing it for a bit more time, it has improved drastically since Beta, but I just can't shake the feeling that they missed the core mechanics of trying to translate a Skyrim type game into an MMO. 

The more free-form classes in Skyrim work well, but you get way overpowered past like level 20, so I can understand why they couldn't do something so open-ended in the MMO, but it feels almost too constricting in the MMO.  I also hate the lack of available skills that you can have on your hotbar at once; that might be more a personal preference than anything else, but I hate the limitations that are put on you.  But my last MMO was SWTOR and by the time you are max level you have like 20-30 skills you can use, I love the depth that adds to rotations and quick decisions you have to make.  ESO is just lacking in that regard.

I will admit that it can be fun to run some of these quest chains with a buddy, I know I have always wanted to do a co-op Skyrim style game, but I feel like it might have been better to try to add a separate MP game into the next Elder Scrolls game, rather than a watered down version of an MMO. 

I don't think I'll play it past the 30-day trial.  It's definitely improved since beta, but it's just not my style.

I also got a 7 day pass to try Wildstar again, I'm gonna give that a shot and see if it's any fun.  Has anyone played that?

Also curious about Shadows of Mordor.  It looks very cool, but I might hold out for a while to see if it drops in price at all.  Any of you guys played it yet?  How much stealth is involved in the game?  It looks to be really fun, but extended necessary stealth sequences are often deal breakers for me, I despise stealth games.

Been playing the shit out of Wasteland 2, thanks Deadly for convincing me to get it.

On that note, I played the shit out of ESO when it first came out. I'm Veteran Rank 1 but...once I got to the VR levels I got so unbelievably bored that I haven't touched it since.

Also, if anyone has Destiny on PS4 add me: KarmelCHAOS   -- I'm a level 25 Titan, but I get bored when I'm not playing with people.

Edited by Robot Zombies

How do you like Wasteland 2 so far?

I've been playing it a bunch as well, I ended up restarting about 2 or 3 times because I didn't realize how easy it was to completely screw up my characters when starting out.  I think the first time I ended up giving all my guys way too many skills each, when you should really only give them 4 or more if they have over 10 Int.  The game was pretty brutal for me in that way, I ended up playing that first play through for like 7 hours before I realized how fucked I was from being able to win in most battles. 

The difficulty is definitely picking up too, no spoilers, but I'm at this level where the bad guys have thermal nuclear grenades that blow up half the map when they die, it's so ridiculous and frustrating haha.

Super fun game though, definitely feels like the spiritual successor to Fallout 2. 

Also, if anyone has Destiny on PS4 add me: KarmelCHAOS -- I'm a level 25 Titan, but I get bored when I'm not playing with people.

I've got a 23 hunter, but won't be back in town until Sunday. I'll add you as soon as I get back.

I think Shadows of Mordor is awesome.  If you like Assassins' Creed/Batman games you'll really enjoy it.  I'm still pretty early into the game but I'm having a great time. 

How do you like Wasteland 2 so far?

I've been playing it a bunch as well, I ended up restarting about 2 or 3 times because I didn't realize how easy it was to completely screw up my characters when starting out.  I think the first time I ended up giving all my guys way too many skills each, when you should really only give them 4 or more if they have over 10 Int.  The game was pretty brutal for me in that way, I ended up playing that first play through for like 7 hours before I realized how fucked I was from being able to win in most battles. 

The difficulty is definitely picking up too, no spoilers, but I'm at this level where the bad guys have thermal nuclear grenades that blow up half the map when they die, it's so ridiculous and frustrating haha.

Super fun game though, definitely feels like the spiritual successor to Fallout 2. 

I'm enjoying it a lot, not having too much trouble yet with anything. My computer keeps crashing while I'm in the Rail Nomads Camp for some reason and I have no idea why, but apparently it's kind of common. Other than that, it's rad I like it a lot. It's like if Fallout: Tactics was actually a legit Fallout game.

So I'm not planning on getting a PS4 or Xbox One anytime soon and I don't want to play those AAA games until I buy one of those because I like trophies/achievements and if I buy the consoles in a year or two then these games coming out now will be cheaper and blah blah. So, I'm slowly going to post less and less on here, I suppose, except for the PC only games like Rust (which I cannot stand right now but it's still in development) or Dota. Word.

Damn, Titanfall is still fun. Looking forward to getting Destiny and Forza 2 here soon, followed by Evil Within and Halo Master Chief Collection.

I fucking love Xbox One.

What's your goddamn gamertag, Iowan?

I've been trying to get into Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor for the last week or so, but I keep quitting in frustration.  I'm at the very beginning and I just keep dying over and over again.  Every little battle I get in right as I respawn ends up with 2 or 3 named orcs and about 10-15 others that just slowly beat me down.  I don't think I'm in the wrong area, just right around the first tower.  But I just keep dying to these huge groups of orcs that appear out of nowhere.  I can deal with the small groups, but I feel like they are so rare that I'm not getting anywhere.

Should I just be running away?  I tried to do some side-quests and they are even harder than just traveling around.  I love the combat and all the youtube videos I've watched make me think this kinda game is right up my alley, I just can't get past the initial hurdle. 

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  Or do I just suck?  Because I've beaten multiple Assassin's Creed games and the Arkham City games; I just keep getting swarmed in this one.  Super frustrating. 

Don't feel too down.  It can be a bit tough in the beginning.  You need to run away if you're in a stronghold and they start sounding alarms.  After some upgrades...you should be able to recover a bunch of health mid-fight.  That will allow you to fight tons of those guys with no fear.  Only tip I can give early is try to stay on the edges of the fight as opposed to being in the middle where you can get hit.  I play the game a lot like the Batman games.  I take out a bunch of guys methodically then try to take out my target.

Any of you guys excited for Dragon Age: Inquisition?

The first Dragon Age was one of my favorite games, I've probably played through it at least once a year or so since it came out.  DA2 was very hit and miss for me, I loved the characters and the plot, but it had so many problems with the repeated levels, easy combat, and I disliked the lack of closure in the end. 

But I've been keeping up with DA:I and it looks like it fixed all the gripes people had with DA2 and more.  Reviews are overwhelmingly positive (mostly high 80s and 90s) and most have said that the game is around 80-90 hours if you do the sidequests.  Tons of customization (armor, weapons, character appearance), improved combat, huge open levels that rival the size of Skyrim, all kinds of collectable mounts, customizable castle, and interesting characters.

If any of you guys are getting this on PC, let me know, because the multiplayer looks like it could be pretty fun (its from the same team that did the Mass Effect 3 MP, which was surprisingly awesome). 

Man I can't believe I saw the GTA5 trailer first in 2011, and I'm not going to get a chance to play it until 2015. Pretty crazy. So excited though. Going to buy a ridiculous computer as soon as I get back from the states (mostly for development, but games is a nice touch), and I'm really looking forward to GTA on highest settings with first-person.

Also, whilst I'm posting here. Brother got an oculus. Tried it. It is ridiculous in every possible sense. Tried this ride simulaton, and literally felt like I was on the thing. Like, my stomach was falling, I was leaning back and forth on the chair as the ride went around, and felt totally disillusioned when I took it off. Ridiculously intense. And the new Alien game, no idea if the game itself was good, but man, with the Oculus, straight up the scariest game I've ever played. When the Alien came around the corner and I knew I'd been spotted, my reaction was literally to put my arms in front of my face to try and block my eyes. Just crazy. Really looking forward to picking up the consumer version when it releases.

Any of you guys excited for Dragon Age: Inquisition?

The first Dragon Age was one of my favorite games, I've probably played through it at least once a year or so since it came out.  DA2 was very hit and miss for me, I loved the characters and the plot, but it had so many problems with the repeated levels, easy combat, and I disliked the lack of closure in the end. 

But I've been keeping up with DA:I and it looks like it fixed all the gripes people had with DA2 and more.  Reviews are overwhelmingly positive (mostly high 80s and 90s) and most have said that the game is around 80-90 hours if you do the sidequests.  Tons of customization (armor, weapons, character appearance), improved combat, huge open levels that rival the size of Skyrim, all kinds of collectable mounts, customizable castle, and interesting characters.

If any of you guys are getting this on PC, let me know, because the multiplayer looks like it could be pretty fun (its from the same team that did the Mass Effect 3 MP, which was surprisingly awesome). 

Super excited for the new Dragon Age!!  I played through the original a few years ago and loved it.  I haven't paid for it yet but I'll probably do it soon.

Insurgency - free code - https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=cAGt7xKvCzf3CCXU

Pretty good humble bundle going on right now.  Blackguards is going for $40 bucks on Steam and all you have to do is BTA of $6.xx.

I also have a code for Always Sometimes Monsters.....if one of you regulars want it....shoot me a PM.

Edited by Breath of Water

So I got Binding of Isaac: Rebirth on PS4 because it was free with PS+....I'm well on my way to getting Platinum God, still just bought it on PC because I fucking love this game. I had 120 hours on the original and this one is just all of that plus so much more. Top three favorite game of all time, hands down. If you've never checked it out, I highly suggest it.