Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mikey

Random Thoughts: Video Games

450 posts in this topic

Dragon Age looks awesome but I'm going to wait until I get a PS4 (which isn't any time soon). Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is a ton of fun. This current Humble Bundle is AWESOME. Can't wait to start Blackguards.

Finishing The Banner Saga. Pretty good game. You make decisions that actually mean something. It gets fucking hard, too.

Also, rented COD: Advanced Warfare so I could check out the campaign. I haven't played a COD campaign since Modern Warfare 3 so maybe they have been this insane over the past few years but I'm loving this one. Don't think I'm going to touch the multiplayer because then I'll probably want to buy it and I don't have the money but the campaign is worth the $2 at redbox (the campaign is only 6 hours or so long so can be finished pretty damn quickly).

I also have Insurgency if anyone wants it. 2 codes.

Dragon Age Inquisition is really fucking awesome.  No spoilers to follow:

The levels in this game are so big and vast, tons of stuff to do, and it just looks really beautiful.  BioWare really took the complaint of having such shitty maps in DA2 and went waaaaaaaaaaaay overboard in correcting it.  The first big level feels like you are in Skyrim.  And there are like 10 really big levels, it's crazy.

I'm probably not even half way done, but the quests and story are better than anything they've done in the other two games.  Each big story mission just has me saying "holy shit" over and over again.  There is a ton of forward momentum in the story, but with the millions of sidequests available, you can definitely slow things down.  But goddamn, it's like they took the best parts of the mission design from Mass Effect 3 and mixed it setting/characters of Dragon Age, its so damn good.

My main gripe though is the controls and the inventory on PC.  The tactical view that was so well done in Dragon Age Origins has been completely fucked in this game.  It's hard to move the cursors, set up combos, or just view the battlefield in general.  In fact, I have pretty much stopped using it all together, which sucks, because now you are forced to play without the higher tactical choices in boss fights.  It's still possible to give orders and stuff from each character perspective, but damn, they really fucked PC players on this. 

I hear the controls on the consoles are actually a lot better and considering the Frostbite engine won't do mods, PS4 or Xbone are probably the best systems to play this game on.

But don't get me wrong, the wonky controls aren't game breaking by any means, actual combat is pretty straight forward and works fine on PC.  It's just the console-ized inventory and controls are aggravating some time.

I still haven't touched Mulitplayer yet. 

This game is the shit though, you guys need to pick it up.

I picked it up on PS4, barely got to the Hinterlands. It's pretty, plays well, but damn I'm getting wrecked on Normal for some reason. The multiplayer is fun if you liked ME3's multi.

I picked up DA:I as well.  Really incredible game.  Much more arcade-y when it comes to combat (I beat Origins but never played DA2).  They really seemed to have taken a ton of inspiration for Skyrim.  I enjoy wondering around and stumbling onto strange/small quests.  I've stumbled into two dragons so far and ran away both times.

I haven't had any real problems with the combat outside of the time I went to an area that was about 7 levels above me.  I did have some issues with the controls but adjusted pretty quickly.  I'm guessing it could become a problem in a tough fight so I'll be on the look out for that.  

I'll probably play a bit more of the single player before trying the multi-player but my Origin name is ThriceChan so add me if ya want.  

Just finished The Last of Us. I'm so torn about what my favourite game from 2013 is at the moment. Between this and Bioshock Infinite... man. What an amazing year for storytelling. I'm leaning towards this, mainly because... well I just recently played it so I'm biased. But, definitely, the characters were so well written in this game and the growth of the relationship between Joel and Ellie was really organic... you could see it changing in every facet of the game. Cutscenes, gameplay, the way the characters acted or talked. And that was beautiful. I've never seen a characters so well developed in a game before. But just like Bioshock Infinite, I'm left sitting here thinking about the story, reflecting on the ending, way past when I finished the game.

This is the first game I've played by Naughty Dog since Crash Team Racing or Crash Bandicoot 3, so needless to say I'm blown away. And depending on if they come up with another original franchise for the PS4, I may have to pick one up in some future point in time. They have already cemented themselves as one of the best developers, and I completely understand why they are one of the hardest (if not the most) development studios to get a position at. The lead programmer of Naughty Dog also wrote the textbook I'm working through at the moment, and it's one of the best textbooks I've ever read; "Game Engine Architecture"

Anyway, if you haven't played this game you should definitely get around to it. It's worth every moment. I hear they're making a movie but there is no way you can capture that feeling of development in 2 hours, compared to the 15 or so in the game. There is no way you can capture that feeling of apocalyptic Americana to the same extent as you can in this game, because the journey itself is what really develops the two characters. Get on it.

Just finished The Last of Us. I'm so torn about what my favourite game from 2013 is at the moment. Between this and Bioshock Infinite... man. What an amazing year for storytelling. I'm leaning towards this, mainly because... well I just recently played it so I'm biased. But, definitely, the characters were so well written in this game and the growth of the relationship between Joel and Ellie was really organic... you could see it changing in every facet of the game. Cutscenes, gameplay, the way the characters acted or talked. And that was beautiful. I've never seen a characters so well developed in a game before. But just like Bioshock Infinite, I'm left sitting here thinking about the story, reflecting on the ending, way past when I finished the game.

This is the first game I've played by Naughty Dog since Crash Team Racing or Crash Bandicoot 3, so needless to say I'm blown away. And depending on if they come up with another original franchise for the PS4, I may have to pick one up in some future point in time. They have already cemented themselves as one of the best developers, and I completely understand why they are one of the hardest (if not the most) development studios to get a position at. The lead programmer of Naughty Dog also wrote the textbook I'm working through at the moment, and it's one of the best textbooks I've ever read; "Game Engine Architecture"

Anyway, if you haven't played this game you should definitely get around to it. It's worth every moment. I hear they're making a movie but there is no way you can capture that feeling of development in 2 hours, compared to the 15 or so in the game. There is no way you can capture that feeling of apocalyptic Americana to the same extent as you can in this game, because the journey itself is what really develops the two characters. Get on it

i highly recommend playing the last of us dlc, left behind. Its so fucking good.

The Last of Us was my favorite game of 2013.  I usually avoid all games that might be scary but I was all in on this one.  Joel/Ellie were great and the world they created felt awesome.  I still haven't played through the DLC but the the short comic series was decent.  

So, I downloaded the patch for Dragon Age and the game won't launch any more.  This sucks.

Yeah, really want to finish the DLC but I had to rush through The Last of Us because I flew out the next day and now I'm in the US for the next 3 months. So I'll have to wait until I get back to play it. Same with Bioshock: Buried at Sea.

But, got an Xbox One whilst in the US, along with Halo MCC. Dunno what else games are worth getting, but feel free to throw suggestions my way.

Started playing some Warframe after Jeff mentioned it on a recent Bombcast.  He compared it to Destiny (a game I've really wanted to play) and that piqued my interest.  They've made a bunch of changes since I last played it in February 2014. I'll probably be playing that for the foreseeable future along with some Dragon Age (50+ hours in and not close to the end) and Divinity (really need to finish this).

So looking to buy a new computer since my laptop died and I haven't had a desktop in a while. Going overboard, and justifying it under "for work/career", but it's going to be a beast gaming machine, and should do well GTA V and HTC Vive upon their release.

Main details are Intel 4690K, Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming, 16GB ram, 500GB SSD, 27" 1440p IPS monitor. Planned for overclocking. And my components allow SLI in the future if I choose to go down that path (but probably won't for another year because this shit is expensive as fuuuuck).

Being rich. I'm a fan.

Glad you like it, what class is your main? 

I went with Rogue and kinda regret it, he does a shit ton of damage when I micromanage ever single thing, but the moment I forget to queue up his moves, he dies in like 3 seconds hahah.  After getting all the companions, Ciphers are my favorite so far, so much utility and DPS!

I'm taking a break for a little while from Pillars though and gonna play some GTA5.

Any of you guys have GTA5 on PC yet?  I haven't started MP yet, but if you want to, add me as a friend in Rockstar Social club, name is Coifio.

I went with a Barbarian since it seems like the most solid DPS class and you don't find one in the story, that and he's kinda just click and forget, so I don't have to micromanage him too much. The game is seriously hard as hell too. So far it's just my guy, Eder, Aloth, and Durance. The area where you get Durance, I keep getting swarmed by wolves/boars and getting wrecked.

I have GTA 5 on PS4, but not PC. Was it worth the wait?

Edited by Robot Zombies

It's pretty good so far, but I did play a bit on PS3 when it first released. 

I'm digging the first-person view a lot and the updated graphics are nice, but I can't play on ultra settings with my old Nvidia 580.  I've been saving up for a new video card, I've been using the 580 for like 4 or 5 years, so it's time for an upgrade soon.

The online part is pretty damn chaotic, I'm sure it'd be more fun with a crew or whatever the guild equivalent is called in that game. 

It's a lot of fun, I'm in a crew with a few of my coworkers and running around just messing around with other people is a blast. The heists are a lot of fun now too.

Bought this bomb computer just for GTA. 1440p, GTX980, 4690k... It has ran every game I've thrown at it on the highest settings at that resolution. Unfortunately leaving in a week so I'm going to have to wait 4 months before I can play GTA5. Sigh. Already waited 3 years for that game.

Anyone else looking forward to the Witcher 3 coming out in 2 weeks or so?

I'm playing through the first two again to remind myself about it, I forgot how much fun W2 is.  W3 looks to be pretty awesome, so many cool little details in the game: apparently your beard will grow naturally throughout the game if you don't shave it.  I hope to have a big Santa beard by the end of the game.

I'm hoping to pick up an Nvidia 970 before it launches, I'm not sure how well my 580 will handle it.

I've got a GTX 680 and I'm running it on ultra with zero problems.

I was a big fan of the previous Witcher games, but this one is something else. It's super rare for me to play single player stuff these day, but this one us going to totally consume my holiday weekend. 

I agree, the Witcher 3 is probably the best game I've played this year.  The quest design is one of the best things about this game; all the sidequests seem to tell such awesome stories, which often times will relate back to the main quests in small ways or just tell a really interesting stand alone story. 

I also like how each one can vary wildly in length; some can take 30-40 minutes, while others can tell a quick story in under 5.  I was a fan of Dragon Age Inquisition and this game just puts DAI to shame on so many levels. 

I was out of town all weekend, so I didn't get a chance to get too far into the main story, but it's been completely awesome so far.

I've also been able to run it on medium/high with my old videocard.  The game still looks really good on those settings, but I'm looking forward to doing another playthrough in a few months when I get a 970.

I had a 4 day weekend stuck inside due to storms, so I'm lvl 16 and a little over 30 hours in. 

Only real complaint so far is that I'm really overpowered for the main quests. I've been doing every side mission available and even taking the time to explore and complete rare gear sets so I'm probably 4 levels above the recommended level. Playing on the BBB difficulty right now, so might need to bump it a bit to get the most out of the experience.