Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mikey

Random Thoughts: Video Games

450 posts in this topic

Oh man, I saw those floods going on in Texas, be safe down there, it looks pretty nasty.

I've been overleveled for the main quests too.  I've tried to do all the sidequests I could, there are just so many that I don't want to miss.  The main quests also level you up so fast as well, I haven't really found the right balance of when to do the main quests or side quests. 

I'm just starting the main quest line in Novigrad and holy shit, I just have to say how fucking crazy the storyline with the Bloody Baron and the Crones was.  I was trying to a get a friend to play this game and I just told him that at one point, you have to dig up a miscarried fetus demon from it's grave, perform a ceremony to turn it into a friendly ghost to track down the mother who was brainwashed into murdering war orphans for 3 hideous witches.  That shit was so fucked up.  I loved the music for the Crones too, that weird, creepy violin music, it's just brought the whole thing together.

Yeah dude, the Crones were awesome. I originally helped them, but after finding out what they were all about I said fuck it and went back and helped the druid cursed in the tree. I loaded my saved file from the last game, and apparently it makes a pretty big difference. People I killed in the last one would normally make an appearance if I hadn't attached my decisions.

The first one might be a little dated, but I'm defiantly going to go back and play through the second one again once I finish The Wild Hunt.  

I'm also playing The Witcher 3 and loving it.  This game is so random.  I was in a bar when some bandits walked in but I decided to let them live and bought them drinks.  Then one of them starts talking about raping a kid and I felt compelled to kill all of them.  I guess they were the Bloody Baron's men and then I had some issues entering the town.  I could easily see spending 100+ hours in this.

I finished up the Witcher 3 last night, what an awesome game it is. 

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed with the ending, no spoilers, but it was a little too brief for me.  I'm guessing it's so that they still have room to do the big DLC later this year.  It wasn't a terrible ending like the original ME3 or anything like that, but the game had so much depth and excellent writing throughout, maybe my expectations were too high by the end of it.

Besides that small quibble, W3 is easily my favorite game of the year so far.  Beautiful world, well written characters, good voice acting, huge amounts of sidequests, and perhaps some of the most well written quests I've ever played in a game. 

The only other parts I thought could be improved was how overleveled I was throughout the entire game because I tried to do all the sidequests.  At some points, I was 8 or 9 levels above the main quests and was basically 1 shotting every single enemy.  I'm not sure how feasible it would be to be able to bolster lower level quests to at least 2 or 3 levels below you.  I wouldn't want complete level scaling in this game, I loved trying to tackle harder quests, but when 60% of your quests are greyed out, it's kinda a slog to complete them.

Same thing with the amount of Question Marks on the maps.  By the time I got to Skellige, they seems pretty pointless.  I used a mixture of the Cat and Bear school armor and weapons, so everything I found in the chests I sold.  By the time I was around level 20, I had about 30,000 gold with nothing to spend it on.  So there was no point in finishing up all those treasure hunt question marks. 

Shit, I'm rambling now.  I'll just end it with how Ciri is one of the coolest characters.  She is so insanely overpowered in the game, I loved all her sections.  I've heard them say that W3 might be the end of Geralt's story; I'd love to see the adventures of Ciri after they complete Cyperpunk 2077.

Weather has let up, and I haven't been able to play as much because of work, but I'm about level 20 and 4 levels above my current main story quests. Just hit Skellige awhile ago, and agree 100% about being too overpowered. I really want to do everything, but at this point it doesn't seem worth it.

Seems like something leaked last week that there were already plans for a Witcher 4, but can't trust rumors. 

Yeah, towards the middle of the Skellige quests, I pretty much stopped doing all the question marks, witcher contracts, and the unconnected side quests. 

I hate to say that there was too much to do, but it felt kinda pointless to try to 100% clear the map when I had over 30,000 gold, the best equipment, and 8 levels ahead of the story quests.  To be honest, I wish I had actually skipped more of the sidequests and just saved them for another playthrough in a few months. 

I'd love to see Witcher 4 eventually, but I am beyond excited for their next game Cyberpunk 2077. 

Were you guys playing on an easier difficulty?  Maybe you can bump it up to hard once you over-level the quests.  I'm about 20 hours in or so (level 9 or 10).  Still really enjoying this game and thinking it is my favorite game of the year.  I still working my way through the Bloody Baron quest while doing side stuff.  

So, Fallout 4 was finally announced.  I'm super stoked.  Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time.  I'm praying they have gameplay footage and a 2015 release date during their E3 press conference.

I didn't play on the max difficulty, but whatever the one directly below it was called.  Still, it wasn't a matter of being challenged in combat, it's that when you are just so many levels higher than the quests, the numbers in attack and defense just let you basically one or two shot most everything.  The way I had my character built, I was basically doing close to 2000 points per damage on fast attacks when it criticalled.  And the build had a crazy high crit rate built in to it.  I guess I could have gimped myself intentionally, but where's the fun in that? 

It wasn't this way the entire game though, I slowed down on side quests in Skellige and caught up to the main quest level towards the end of the game.

The other two Witcher games had a similar problem, it was very difficult in the beginning and got really easy by the end because of all the skills you had.  I noticed the same thing with W3 too, so even not considering the XP problem, much of the difficulty in the game is trivialized by late game builds, it doesn't matter if you go combat, signs, or potions, you become very powerful by the end.  Not a major complaint though, W3 is fucking awesome.

I'm also excited for Fallout 4.  It's definitely one of my favorite series out there, we definitely need to get some more details soon.

I'm playing on the same setting, and have a very similar build. Maxed out fast attack / crit with a complete feline set. Second tree I have the most in is alchemy, but with the way it works I'll only get more op if I keep putting points in that. 

Once I wrap up this game not sure if I want to go back and replay Witcher 2 or give GTA V on PC a shot. I played a bit on PS3, but hit a bug about 4 hours in that wouldn't let progress the main story any further. 

Yeah, after playing around with various builds, I ended up with Fast Attack build, using Whirl, Cat School bonus and one section of Axxii (puppet master is fun) and Igni.  Mastercraft Feline gear with Ursine Swords.  Super fun build.  

I'm definitely waiting a bit for a second playthrough, I felt a little burned out on it by the end, but I sunk way too many hours into this game so it's not surprising haha.

I've never played any of the Fallout series, but the Fallout 4 trailer has piqued my interest.  I wonder if I'd be missing out on a lot if I didn't play the other releases and got 4 anyways.

I'm sure there will be some bleed over, but for the most part, Fallout games are standalone. Each game is a vault from a different part of the US. I would play 3 / New Vegas just because they're great games in the same style as 4, but you won't have any trouble if you decide to just jump in fresh with 4. 

I've never played any of the Fallout series, but the Fallout 4 trailer has piqued my interest.  I wonder if I'd be missing out on a lot if I didn't play the other releases and got 4 anyways.

​The Fallout games are all pretty self contained.  So I doubt you'd have any problem jumping in for the new one.  There might be some smaller details here and there you might miss, but I'd imagine they be just small things.

They are really fun games though, I'd definitely say to give Fallout 3 and New Vegas a try.  You can usually pick up either game with all their DLC for like $5 - $10 which is a great deal for how much content those games have.

So, I bought a PS4 and started playing Destiny.  I bought it about 3 weeks before The Taken King came out and I'm playing daily.  Is anyone still playing?  PSN:  ThriceChan please add me.

Been playing Halo MCC lately and I'm loving the shit out of it. I forgot how fun the Halo games were - the music and voice acting really make it. Definitely playing for the story atm so I can catch up on 4 and jump into 5, but I've heard nothing but good about the Halo 5 multiplayer.

No couch co-op though which kinda sucks, since I've been playing through the first Halo with my buddy.

Finally beat the Evil Within - 15 chapters - 153 deaths - 19 hours of gameplay...and I only beat it on the 2nd difficulty. Fuck this game and how difficult it is.

Man, I bought Evil Within the day it came out and still haven't finished Chapter 10.

That being said, I have Fallout 4 yet all I can seem to play is Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth

I've sunken way too much time into Fallout 4 since it's been released.  I am such a sucker for open-world RPGs like this.  And with the addition of settlement building, it's consuming all my videogaming time!

I picked up Fallout 4 on Friday.  Between yesterday and today, I've put in about 3.5 hours.  I've never really played an RPG before, and I've never played anything from the Fallout series.  With that said, fuck, there's a lot to do and manage!  I'm just trying to complete my next quest and I'm hearing about having to plant food, build up the settlement, and all kinds of shit like that.  I suppose I won't get bored with it!

Also, Rainbow Six: Siege looks fucking awesome.  I might pick that up, too.

About 30 hours into Fallout, and FUCK settlement building. I do as little as I can. 

I just got a new ultra wide monitor, and games are ridiculous in 3440 x 1440. Ready to get home from work and see what Just Cause 3 looks like. 

Anybody following this CSGO gambling scandal thing?  I always have stayed away from it since it seems shady, I won't even use a third party skin dealer.

Mass Effect 2 is consuming my soul. Never played much in the last generation and my buddy introduced me to this series. Dragon Age Inquisition used to be my favorite game ever, but this is so much better.