Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mikey

Random Thoughts: Video Games

450 posts in this topic

I'm here to beg you guys to play Enslaved. It is a God of War-like action game with an interesting story. I went back forth between getting this game or getting NBA2k11 for about an hour before going with this. The reviews for Enslaved have been pretty high across the board. The relationship between the two main characters has kept me engrossed and I actually care about their story. The reason I stopped playing today at chapter five was because my gf forced me out of the house to eat. This game is going to keep my attention until it is done. I might even pass on playing bigger games if I'm not finished with this.

Go play castlevania. same deal.

It's painfully hard in some parts, and I feel like I've needed a serious challenge in a newer game lately.

I'm here to beg you guys to play Enslaved. It is a God of War-like action game with an interesting story. I went back forth between getting this game or getting NBA2k11 for about an hour before going with this. The reviews for Enslaved have been pretty high across the board. The relationship between the two main characters has kept me engrossed and I actually care about their story. The reason I stopped playing today at chapter five was because my gf forced me out of the house to eat. This game is going to keep my attention until it is done. I might even pass on playing bigger games if I'm not finished with this.

Just finished this game tonight, it really was pretty incredible. The last few chapters were kind of boring, but it led to a pretty intense, mindfuck of an ending. I wish wish wish they had explored Monkey and Trip more.

I saw the trailer a while back and it looked kinda crappy - it's that good?

It almost looks like an 'adult' version of Jak and Daxter

I watched video reviews along with the trailer and though it looked lame. If this game didn't have achievements...I would still play it. I think it will end up as one of those games that gets good reviews but the sales won't match the praise.

Go play castlevania. same deal.

It's painfully hard in some parts, and I feel like I've needed a serious challenge in a newer game lately.

I want to check this out but with Fable 3 and Fallout 3 coming out this month I might not get to it til......next year.

I'm starting to get so annoyed with NEEDING an HDTV to even read necessary shit in video games. It's unnecessary, the text doesn't need to be microscopic. Case in point, Arcania: Gothic IV. I deleted the demo after a couple of minutes because the health bars/mana/whatever were so small I couldn't tell what they were numerically. A lot of other games have this problem and it's just not necessary at all, look at Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. At first I rented it and couldn't play it because I couldn't read any of the text, then (albeit, MONTHS) later they patched it to make the text bigger and I'm glad, because that game rules.

LEARN FROM RARE, FUCKERS.

I'm starting to get so annoyed with NEEDING an HDTV to even read necessary shit in video games. It's unnecessary, the text doesn't need to be microscopic. Case in point, Arcania: Gothic IV. I deleted the demo after a couple of minutes because the health bars/mana/whatever were so small I couldn't tell what they were numerically. A lot of other games have this problem and it's just not necessary at all, look at Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. At first I rented it and couldn't play it because I couldn't read any of the text, then (albeit, MONTHS) later they patched it to make the text bigger and I'm glad, because that game rules.

This this this.

Dude, you play so many games that you are doing a disservice to yourself not to have one. You need to get one ASAP.

I know :( I'm using a pretty old sdtv, it's pretty big but definitely crap quality. I can't afford a good tv at the moment, busy saving for a car and an apartment, then I plan on buying a hell of a tv

Same for me - even FIFA 11 has ridiculously small text on a SDTV

Anyone else tired of shooters?

I was tired of shooters before this generation began (but loved MW2 hah). The problem is they sell well and make a good return on the millions that need to be spent creating these games. Companies are cautious. So, the best alternative I have found is XBLA and PSN. Since the cost of entry is so so low, more people are able to create or port over risky games. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath was a complete failure commercially - only on XBLA/PSN could they re-release the game in HD, with UPDATED models and textures (they're working on this right now). That is awesome. Actually... Stranger's Wrath is a shooter (but unique) so probably a bad example.

A better example would be Mashed, a game that sold poorly but would be something I would consider (and thousands others) THE greatest multiplayer game of all time (alongside Mario Kart). Seriously. Just ridiculously fun. But it was a racing game that worked like no other racing games, with "races" lasting seconds rather than minutes (you have to play the game) - it just didn't have a market standing next to Project Gotham, Forza, or Gran Turismo. BUT, thanks to XBLA the company is currently working on a spiritual successor, will be able to sell additional maps as DLC, AND doesn't have to fill the game with fat just to make it reasonable to sell at retail (the developers actually said this). The game isn't realistic graphics or even realistic gameplay. It is unique. And now it can find the market it needs and sell.

The next best answer I have found is the Wii... however, the issue with the Wii is that Nintendo's quality control was so questionable that the buckets of shovel-ware games at its birth just made people too weary of third party games. As a result, GOOD third party-games are rare, and the waiting period between Nintendo games is just excruciating. And, after you play on XBLA and see HD graphics (not REALISTIC graphics, grr), have leaderboards, downloadable content, and ACHIEVEMENTS - it just doesn't come close.

But yes, sick of shooters, sick of "buff" army characters, sick of realistic graphics rather than something unique and artistic, same goes with gameplay actually... just, I'm really glad XBLA and PSN exist.

I'm pretty sick of shooters, but mostly just clone shooters. I.e. Medal of Honor, MW, Battlefield, etc. Etc. I mean don't get me wrong, I enjoy them but it's just continually more of the same. Then you have the unique ones with a strong narrative, unique atmosphere, engaging story, and other qualities. Such as Fallout 3, Metro 2033, and Borderlands. I'm not gonna lie...I'd kill for more hardcore adventure games like Heavy Rain (which I still havent played), Sherlock Holmes, and this one coming out called Gray something.

I'm pretty sick of shooters, but mostly just clone shooters. I.e. Medal of Honor, MW, Battlefield, etc. Etc. I mean don't get me wrong, I enjoy them but it's just continually more of the same. Then you have the unique ones with a strong narrative, unique atmosphere, engaging story, and other qualities. Such as Fallout 3, Metro 2033, and Borderlands. I'm not gonna lie...I'd kill for more hardcore adventure games like Heavy Rain (which I still havent played), Sherlock Holmes, and this one coming out called Gray something.

However, the DS has a huge amount of quality adventure and rpg games.

So I just needed a place to request some help with my dying xbox 360. Just started freezing this weekend, which apparently is a precursor to RROD (2nd time), I'm pretty sure my xbox is out of warranty. Any options at this point? Throw it from the balcony?

So I never did anything about this, I tried the box last night and it worked. Awesome! Probably will break or start freezing soon, I will enjoy until then.

However, the DS has a huge amount of quality adventure and rpg games.

Agreed - so sick of FPS games that just do the same shit over and over. Why haven't more games incorporated good co-op modes like Borderlands and Gears of War did? Gears of War was an average game but imo the co-op made it 100x better.

I kind of want to get the new (I'm not sure how new it is) Goldeneye for Wii. But fuck paying $60 for it.

In other news, my xbox works now (???). Well, it works when I remove the hard drive, so basically I can only use to stream movies, tv, and pr0n. Which I think still makes it worth having, especially being able to stream in HD. Anyone want to sell an old hard drive for their 360 so i can get the new Fallout?

If you have a modded box do NOT download the new dashboard. It would also be a good idea to stay away from Fable 3 and other new games until more info is known. We already know some new security measures are in place.

Oh man, anybody remember this from, like, 12 fucking years ago:

So good.

And yet, the intro to Final Fantasy VI gave me just as much chills. I wish I was old enough to finish that game. I still remember it pretty vividly because the art and music was so memorable.

I only ever attempted one other FF game but I don't know which it was. I just remember not being able to get past the very first boss, no matter how hard I tried. You were on a boat and you were fighting a giant enemy crab.

^^^ I remember when FF8 came out, my friend rented it and came racing over to my house cause he didn't have a playstation and we were both in awe at that opening movie and I was instantly hooked to RPGs and Final Fantasy from then on.... good times.

I want a lengthy, good, engrossing turn based RPG. Like Final Fantasy XIII but good. Like Lost Odyssey with better character models. All the good RPGs are on te DS now a days

FF was great when I was younger and I definitely had some of my best gaming memories with FF7/FF8/FF9/FF10 but I can't stand that turn based shit now. Just completely takes you out of the game.