Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mikey

Random Thoughts: Video Games

450 posts in this topic

I just bought an xbox 360 slim. The last consoles I owned were nintendo 64 and playstation. What have I done?

edit: the fan seems to be really loud. is it because it's new or is the game dirty or something? does it matter what side I stand it on?

Install the game to your hdd and it'll quiet down. Activision discontinued Guitar Hero in the middle of production of the next one. They canceled the next True Crime game too. God Activision is the most annoying company. What annual games does that leave them with? They gave up the Ghostbusters license because it wasn't a franchise they could make annual, so I dunno about this company

just got a playstation eye and playstation move. much fun will be had. what's the best move game out there now? only one I have is the sports mix.

Currently downloading the Darkspore beta client, super stoked that I got it. Dunno if you guys have seen anything about it, haven't played it, looks really interesting. Short version, Diablo + Spore = Darkspore. Basically the Spore creature creator in a Diablo-esque dungeon crawler. Should be fun.

The playstation was the first console I, personally, ever owned (my bro owned all the earlier ones). When I first bought it, we didn't really care about reviews or the internet. You literally judged a game by its cover. So, at the time, I just picked the game that looked the most appealing at the store and ended up with Ridge Racer Type 4. It's a game I never would have bought in this day and age.

And I'm so glad I did. It reminds me a lot of what I miss in games. Games need cinematic intros like this again.

So I finally sat down and finished off GTAIV. So glad I did. The missions get pretty crazy in the second half, and there are a few that make me laugh. The very ending (as in, the last few lines) are kinda underwhelming. But overall, it is the scope of GTAIV that blows me away. I've read that it took around 1000 people to make the game, around $100M dollars. That... is insane. There is so much detail in the city, the media, the characters - so much happening, and all of it is of such high quality. I LOVED the voice acting in this game especially, really enjoyed the presence of some characters: Bruce, Roman, Mallorie, Bernie (just to name a few).

So, being the massive nerd that I am, I love reading about how such a huge project comes about. These are good interviews:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/grand-theft-auto-ivs-aaron-garbut-part-1-interview

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2008/04/dan-housers-ver.html

I'm playing EFLC next, but I cannot wait for GTAV. I will be severely dissapointed if it does not show up at E3 this year. Fingers crossed.

Install the game to your hdd and it'll quiet down. Activision discontinued Guitar Hero in the middle of production of the next one. They canceled the next True Crime game too. God Activision is the most annoying company. What annual games does that leave them with? They gave up the Ghostbusters license because it wasn't a franchise they could make annual, so I dunno about this company

I want an HD remake/reboot whatever of how Tony Hawk used to be. Shit, if all they did was take the best levels from the first three games and put it out in HD for an XBLA release they'd have my money.

It was on ps2, it had the same simple controls as the other older games (I never played 4 so I dunno how different it was) but it had pretty cool stuff, and had 'classic-type' maps that had the same kind of goals as the originals.

It looks like there was a merger back in the summer of 2008 between Vivendi (which owns Blizzard and Sierra) and Activision, and Activision/Blizzard are both under this umbrella now.

More information here.

I'm glad you asked this...motivated me to figure out the whole story! :rolleyes:

Actually, Vivendi Games and Activision merged, and renamed Vivendi games to Activision Blizzard, not Vivendi itself, which is actually a big difference.

Whatever game where you could get off the board is where the series fell off.

Agreed.

I played the balls out of THPS2 and THPS4.

I believe at one point in the games it went from "Collect S-K-A-T-E" to "Collect S-K-A-T-E in one combo"

Or "Get a High Score - 250,000 pts" to "Get 250,000 pts in one combo"

It just became too ridiculous to play.

Actually, Vivendi Games and Activision merged, and renamed Vivendi games to Activision Blizzard, not Vivendi itself, which is actually a big difference.

Ooh, right you are, that is a big difference. Thanks for the info!

I love the weeks leading into exams because I have every intention of waking up and studying but instead it is my most productive video-game period ever.

Left 4 Dead 2 is the game I'm really craving at the moment. I loved Versus mode for a little bit, but it got so frustrating when you didn't have good players on your team. So I've gone back to campaign, and I've become such a better team-player, and I know how to deal with the individual baddies now. This game is ridiculously fun. Will definitely have to pick up L4D3 if it ever comes out. But yeah, Valve plain rules.

^ I hear you. I have an exam the day Battlefield 3 comes out :( No midnight release for me, or maybe I shall get it at midnight! Haha when Black Ops came out I got it at midnight and pulled an all nighter, had an exam the next morning at 9 am. It was awful only because Black Ops sucked soo much. I stayed up all night to play one of the worst games ever created.

Haha that's crazy I'd be too scared to do that, no matter what the game was. How'd the exam go? I was also pretty dissapointed with Black Ops, especially since I only got into the COD franchise through MW2.

L4D2 is killing me with how awesome it is. I actually feel really confident to play through Expert mode, and so far I've finished Dead Center and Dark Carnival on expert (except, DC didn't count towards the achievement because I quit then came back 1.5 hours later and they were still stuck on the same map). The problem is I rarely find a good team of players on public servers. And also it takes so friggen long to finish a campaign.

But man this game is my bread and butter. Involves so much teamwork and planning, and a single hit can be absolutely devastating just like what I imagine what a real zombie apocalypse would be like. This is truest zombie game I've played.

I don't even play CS, but this video of a guy shoutcasting in a public server is hilarious:

The best part starts at around 3:58.

that was amazing, i wish i had a capture card hooked up to my xbox cause i had someone doing amazing play by play in fifa using the voice of the scientist from The Simpsons. it was some of the funniest shit ever.

I don't even play CS, but this video of a guy shoutcasting in a public server is hilarious:

The best part starts at around 3:58.

that was amazing, i wish i had a capture card hooked up to my xbox cause i had someone doing amazing play by play in fifa using the voice of the scientist from The Simpsons. it was some of the funniest shit ever.

lol some ppl are really annoying on voice but the guy in this vid was great. someone doing Prof. Frink well sounds hilarious.