Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AC Slater

Saosin is getting back together (sort of)

36 posts in this topic

Apparently Anthony Green has been talking with them for the last 2-3 years wanting to get something going.  At one point they were going to record a new album/go on tour but time constraints got in the way.

Now they're playing some random festival in May and after that it's up in the air.

Please tell me they are going to have a surprise performance at Coachella because otherwise I have no idea how Anthony Green landed that spot.

Coachella is probably banking on that occuring, although the band definitely hasn't agreed to anything yet.  Justin told me they want to see how this small show goes before considering anything further. 

The vibe I was getting from Beau and Justin was "We haven't played music with this dude in 10 years.  And also we kind of fucking sucked live when he was with us.  So don't be surprised if this show is a disaster."  Literally how it's going to go down is the four of them are going to practice 2 or 3 times before the show, and then Anthony is going to get there the day before and do a quick run through with the band.  A guy you haven't played with in 10 years singing for you with only one rehearsal?  No wonder they're skeptical to schedule any more shows...

OMG this is so 10 years ago awesome!

Coachella is probably banking on that occuring, although the band definitely hasn't agreed to anything yet.  Justin told me they want to see how this small show goes before considering anything further. 

The vibe I was getting from Beau and Justin was "We haven't played music with this dude in 10 years.  And also we kind of fucking sucked live when he was with us.  So don't be surprised if this show is a disaster."  Literally how it's going to go down is the four of them are going to practice 2 or 3 times before the show, and then Anthony is going to get there the day before and do a quick run through with the band.  A guy you haven't played with in 10 years singing for you with only one rehearsal?  No wonder they're skeptical to schedule any more shows...

Uhhhhhhhhh... The band has such stellar a reputation to protect?  They're talented musicians, but they've always sucked as a band live.  The only songs that Cove didn't suck live on were Anthony's songs because he mimicked him, rather than having to be a musician.  

Edited by DK.

OMG this is so 10 years ago awesome!

Uhhhhhhhhh... The band has such stellar a reputation to protect?  They're talented musicians, but they've always sucked as a band live.  The only songs that Cove didn't suck live on were Anthony's songs because he mimicked him, rather than having to be a musician.  

They aren't anything special live, but I remember seeing them with Anthony (to be fair I was 14 and don't remember much) and they were awful...  1000X worse than they were towards the tail end of their run.  At the time I didn't know any better but looking back it was truly terribad.  Justin basically said that the only memories they have of Anthony were from their 2003 selves which are really really different from how they all are now.  And they're afraid it's gonna sound like 2003 all over again. 

Ha thats so trippy to think about because I've seen Circa Survive like 3 times now and Anthony and his band always killed it. But then again, when you have a session drummer from Slayer playing on the actual record, then it kinda skews expectations for how good Saosin should have been back then.

I only saw Saosin once at Warped Tour in like 05/06 and they were god awful because Cove was just the worst singer ever.*

*(scratch that, I had the misfortune of seeing Senses Fail TWICE that day... first the regular set, then a fucking acoustic set... NEVER AGAIN)

Edited by Mixhail

Saosin was fine during the 2005 Warped Tour in my opinion because Cove pretty much only had Anthony's songs to sing.  I saw the Cove lineup 3 other times, including their first album release show at The Troubadour, and the difference between Anthony's songs, which he could mimic, and his songs where he had to learn his own vocal timing, styling & harmony, sounded like completely different vocalists.  He was better than Anthony was live as a part of Saosin because he had the recordings to learn from.  Listen to Cove's recording of "I Can Tell" demo (which is the primary version everyone has heard) -- it blows Anthony's away, but that's Anthony's song.  

There aren't any changes between the demos, so Cove didn't have to learn anything.  He just copied Anthony and bettered it (the whole performance is cleaner).  The band itself was always on point and Alex Rodriguez was able to hammer out Pat Magrath's work on Translating The Name even early on.  While Magrath was meant to mimic Alex's style during recording, he certainly maxed him out on style points.  (I mean, how do you guess how a guy's style will fit into a band that he's yet to play with?)  Alex is a bit more punk, be he had a few more lines in other recordings that were on a "compatible" level to the sound on TTN ("Collapse", "Follow and Feel", "Keep Secrets" come to mind), but that EP is just a bar that no band should have to try to live up to.  

I leaked that I Can Tell song back in the day, Beau was pissed.

I had the misfortune of seeing them live with Anthony.  The music sounded pretty meh, but he was so fucked up on whatever that he wouldn't sing any words he just kept yelling how much he loved everyone into the mic.

To this reunion I say... why?

You gave it to me and then shit went bananas. That was hilarious.

I signed up for their messageboard so I could PM Beau apologies, he didn't really accept them haha.

(guitarist from The Bled gave it to me which he obviously wasn't supposed to.  WHOOPS.)

Wow. I just listened to that song DK posted. That song is garbage. I haven't really heard this band since Anthony Green was the singer and I didn't like it then.  

And from the sounds of how they are reuniting it seems like a bad idea anyways. I guess the money is worth it and nostalgic fans will seemingly get to be disappointed  by their live performance again. So there is that.

Edited by donwayneleach

#BoardRevival2014

Please tell me they are going to have a surprise performance at Coachella because otherwise I have no idea how Anthony Green landed that spot.

Well, Circa Survive played in 2007.

http://www.skateandsurffest.com/

That's where they're playing, with Circa on the next day.  This is the festival that eventually became Bamboozle, but was recently revived as a separate event.

lol DMX

I signed up for their messageboard so I could PM Beau apologies, he didn't really accept them haha.

(guitarist from The Bled gave it to me which he obviously wasn't supposed to.  WHOOPS.)

Hahaha you're the best. 

Wow. I just listened to that song DK posted. That song is garbage. I haven't really heard this band since Anthony Green was the singer and I didn't like it then.  

They're both demos.  If you didn't like Translating the Name, though, something ain't quite right.  

You Buzzkillingtons need to stop killing my boner over this. Seriously its been 10 years, they all have to be better musicians by now.

Damn ... I had no idea about the Pomona show and now it's gone.

So they're doing two Chain Reaction shows on June 5, onsale Saturday at two different locations. I'd rather go to this but I'll be in Vegas. Anyone want to try and nab a pair for me? The tix would be paired to your name/ID.

They ended up releasing the rest of the Chain tickets online and I got a pair. Haven't heard back from my friend, anyone want to be my +1? It's for the early show at 6.