Cassidy

Fargo

34 posts in this topic

premieres tonight

10-episode series

Greenwald

http://grantland.com/features/fargo-fx-billy-bob-thornton-review/

Sepinwall

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-fxs-fargo-reinvents-the-coen-brothers-movie-as-something-new-and-wonderful

I do think more miniseries are due: and that's cool.

Homeland is a great example of a show that should have wrapped up in 1 season.

Great cast.

And when they sad Bob Odenkirk 'gives the best performance on his life' then WTF?!?!

ditto for Colin Hanks...but I don't think I've ever liked him in anything.
Also that it gets much better after the pilot episode.

Thanks for the reminder.  I'm looking forward to this.

At first I hated that they needed to make a show out of Fargo, instead of just letting the Coen Bros go with an original idea.  But if name recognition is what it takes to have writers like the Coen Bros on TV, then whatever.  Martin Freeman rarely disappoints, and Billy Bob looks consistently great from all the previews.  

And I agree, BBC totally kills it with mini-series and/pr very short seasons.  It's time we take the hint and quit running every good show into the ground.  

The show didn't really click with me.  The dialogue was too on the nose by a mile (especially Billy Bob Thornton's lines) and it was more of an "oh they're really just retelling the film Fargo over again" than anything new, which made it hard to care too much, despite the smaller changes.  

Plus it draws the comparisons. William Macy was better than Martin Freeman as the loser.  Martin Freeman is just a tad too laid back at times, so I find it hard to believe that he's so pathetic (although because the characters less of a loser, he's more fun to watch, Macy just gets painful in the film because he's so fucking pathetic and screwed).  Freeman is still fun though.

Steve Buscemi's character and his partner were a lot more fun than Billy Bob.  BB is alright, but he's just too Shakespearean for me the way he rattles off these eloquent quotes about evil and man's role in this chaotic world.  It felt out of place for me.

I went into it thinking that the Coen Bros wrote it, so I was pretty disappointed when after twenty minutes it was pretty clear that they didn't.  The preview for next week's episode did look like it'll start shaking up the plot though, so I'm kind of curious to see where it goes, but aside from some of the actors involved and the Coen Bros name brand, it felt a little "meh".

Yeah, this show is really fucking good.

Stick with it: it's definitely not a re-telling although they do poke fun at the Minnesota accent.

Drew Magary: On that new Fargo show, they basically took the movie and threw Anton Chigurh into it. THAT'S GREAT CROSSOVERIN'!

I caught up with everything now. I like it alot and its surprisingly mostly because of the girl who plays Molly the cop and Colin Hanks. That actress is gonna be a future star and I think Colin Hanks is finally coming off alot like his dad now.

I actually keep thinking Billy Bob and Martin Freeman are totally wrong for their parts. 1) because Billy Bob is too tiny looking and all his line readings don't feel natural at all and 2) because Martin Freeman just seems too British still (haha). That said, I don't hate em and think they're pretty interesting. Its like I am kinda rooting for both of em, but also recognize that they're both pieces of shit.

Besides all that, I love the look and the storylines so far. They've done a great job creating a fully realized world of small town folks and criminals already.

Does anyone know if they would even make a 2nd season of it? I'm assuming they're going the anthology route like American Horror Story and True Detective, but I have no idea how they can keep using the Minnesota location over and over.

BTW I suck and never saw the movie. So yes, my mind was blown that it doesn't even take place in North Dakota and that the plot is already really similar.

BUMP

because this show's episode this week was amazing and had some really awesome action sequences.

totally surpassing my expectations that I had which were already high to begin with.

best drama on TV right now after Hannibal and Game of Thrones (with Hannibal having ended tonight, which I haven't seen). Mad Men is right there too.

Edited by Cassidy

God dammit the Boreds re-start deleted my post about how awesome that last episode was. All the freaking good guys lost and we're only barely past the halfway mark of the season. 

I agree with Marty, that last episode took the show into the AMAZING TV tier with Game of Thrones and Mad Men.

^You REALLY need to check out Hannibal.

That show is totally on pace with those shows through its first 2 seasons in a very different way.

True Detective would be right up there.

Some shows I like (Orphan Black) but I get bored watching it week-to-week rather than binging in its 2nd season.

also that show seems like it would fall apart without Tatiana.

^ Ha its so weird how they threw those 2 in with just a couple of episodes left. Their scene definitely felt like something straight from their show.

Man that would have sucked so bad if Molly died. Allison Tolman better become a big star after this season dammit.

I think this show is just getting better and better. Every week it is bringing it. I think when you have only 10 episodes to deal with, you just get right to it rather than knowing you might have, say, 5-7 seasons that you're required to plan for. It's just damn good quality.

you don't have to see the movie to enjoy this as a stand-alone thing.

I don't think there will be a 2nd season...that this is just a 1-season thing they're doing. Right?

^ Yeah I still have no idea if this is coming back or not.

The last episode was pretty cool. I was hoping for a Time Jump and lo and behold we got one. And now they went full Fargo movie and made Molly pregnant too. Plus I did not expect Key and Peele to be so vital to the ending of the show.

and you're right Marty, I love this series and yet I've never seen the movie. Its on netflix now, so I should probably fix that before the series ends (or should I maybe wait til after the finale?)

it wouldn't hurt to watch the movie.

I like it a lot...but I find myself enjoying the TV show more because it expands what that does while keeping the same things that made it great.

The movie doesn't give spoilers at all with what the show is doing: it is its own thing completely and I have no idea where it's going based on what the movie did.

I am going to start this over the weekend. I keep hearing awesome things. Fargo is in my top 5 favorite movies of all time, so I was verrryyy hesitant to start it. We shall see

i always have to laugh about the movie Fargo because i pretty much grew up in the bar where they talk about the murder plot. my dad played on a pool league there and i would sit at the bar with a bunch of old drunkards and talk to the bartender (owner of the bar). kind of sketchy thing to do with a kid in NE Minneapolis but my dad was a terrible father.

the tv show started kind of slow but i really enjoyed it. my brain does have a hard time with the "minnesota accents," especially coming from a british hobbit. there are people that talk like that up north, however. it's hilarious... the weirdest part is that i know i have a bit of that accent but i can never tell. furthermore, it's kind of predictable if you've seen the movie. i agree, colin hanks and the woman cop are awesome. 

well, this season of 'True Detective' has sucked...but FARGO is coming back and it's said to be amazing

Patrick Wilson's character is THE one character from the 1st season (a younger version of a certain cop's dad who was a former cop who runs a restaurant) and it's mentioned in the 1st season that when he was a cop there was a stack of dead bodies one year in 1979 or so or some shit.

Awesome cast too.

BUMP

starts up Monday

Sepinwall, Andy Greenwald (Grantland), and Danger Guerrero (Warming Glow) all have said it's better than the 1st season (all have only seen the first 4 episodes), which was fucking amazing

oh, fuck yes!
yeah, I think this show is what people want True Detective to be, really: and I liked True Detective slightly more even if I fucking loved S1 of Fargo very, very much.
helps out that this is set in the same world as S1 whereas True Detective is something different each season but not entirely sure as to what.

Yeah, this show is just so good. Pretty everyone on this show is good in both seasons. That is a serious accomplishment. Mad Men had one of the best ensembles ever and even they had a number of duds. Breaking Bad is loaded with duds.