Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andriulli25

So I just recently started work after 2 years mediating and shrooming solo

50 posts in this topic

And you think that's from the years of tripping you did? How long ago did you stop? I mean, you went through a huge lifestyle change so of course your perspectives are going to be drastically different. Is that what you're getting at?

I hear what you're saying, and I can understand the view that Rogan is an advocate for "psychedelic culture." He's hardly in the same class as Leary, though, and I think that's pretty obvious. So, you could argue that because of the amount of people Rogan reaches with his comedy and podcast, he's a de facto authority figure, but an important distinction is that he doesn't purport to be an authority figure or behave like one, and also that he has no discernible dogma—what would joining the Rogan cult actually mean? I enjoy listening to Rogan's podcast for a lot of reasons, but two of the main ones are that he's willing to change his opinions and that he seems to be more concerned with learning from other people and developing his intelligence than foisting the "Joe doctrine" on the people who listen to him.

That "monoculture" you're referring to with respect to Joe is the fault of some of the people—maybe a lot of the people—who are fans of his. People are naturally susceptible to that king-making way of thinking. The "loudly uniformized" is always on the heels of the "silently diverse."

Sometimes when im feeling more romantically Roman i will search for UFC fight highlights on youtube to experience his voice.

How did I miss this gem from a week ago?

I enjoy Joe Roegan as an entertainer as well.

Sometimes when im feeling more romantically Roman i will search for UFC fight highlights on youtube to experience his voice.

But what i was referencing was his role as a brightly burning torch for the blind to see nootropics and dmt and sensory deprivation hypnosis trance induction programming cast in the light of the FOX news approved alternatives to status quo. The hunger burns within my gut for more substance thats less machined , less "stoned jock philosophy" whenever i hear him talking of nootropics (or maybe it's spelt nootrophics) and his out of body lucid dream experiences. He s def become a hype man advocate for certain name brands like alpha brain as an example of an alt helth produkt he endorses like the dmt. He tames the subversive shit i worship, he represents like the archetypical the alex jones media icon of my mainstream reality experience relating with muggles who fear flames.

You're way, way off.

This is a dumb thread in the first place, so we might as well discuss Joe Rogan.

I don't recall Rogan ever stating that there was a specific point to using psychedelics, but maybe I'm wrong. The closest I've heard him come to any kind of elitism is in saying that if you take mushrooms and do nothing afterwards but play Xbox, you're missing the point. He does often talk about the utility of psychedelics for exploring human consciousness and our capacity for apprehending layers of reality that are typically unavailable to our senses and spirits (or whatever). He's also talked many times about his experiences with DMT, which apparently involved being in the presence of otherworldly deities. I don't think it's fair to say that any of that counts as "peddling a psychedelic monoculture."

If there has been an instance so far of Joe Rogan actually impeding the enlightenment and empowerment of a person's psychedelically driven spiritual quest—and maybe there has been—I don't think it's fair to blame Joe Rogan for that.

HOLY SHIT I've never wanted to try DMT ever, but what you said about Rogan "being in the presence of otherworthly deities" is super exciting.

The 2nd and last time I did salvia i saw the meaning of life, experienced absolute truth, and felt perfect euphoria. It was as real as any other experience I've ever had. As the trip came to an end (this is 2 minutes that felt like 2 hours) I was in a very sober and calm mood. I felt conscious the entire "trip" - I've never wanted to try salvia again or anything that would make me trip THAT hard... and just always been strangely scared of DMT. But now I'm intrigued.

How is he a slave to the "entertainment masters"?

How does he attempt to organize mysticism?

What is the nature of the organized mysticism you think he peddles?

The two of you have a lot in common: a love for mushrooms and Terence McKenna, a weird insistence on science-fiction-movie metaphors (maybe The Matrix isn't always a useful framework for understanding every human being on earth), and a disdain for new-age yuppie nonsense.

Have you considered the fact that you don't know very much about the guy?

These are my problems with him:

Although he's otherwise endlessly fascinated with the world, he makes fun of all forms of art (literature, poetry, films that are concerned with something deeper than aliens and explosions) and people who are sensitive to and interested by art.

When it comes to accounting for why humans—whether primitive or modern—behave the way they do, he reasons from survival and procreation only. This is the same thing that guys like Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchins, and Richard Dawkins do.

Does listening to one out of every seven JRE podcasts and following the UFC amount to worship? I feel pretty confident in stating that your relationship to mushrooms bears very little resemblance to my relationship with Joe Rogan (or lack thereof).

The reason I'm pressing you on your opinion of Joe Rogan (JOEROGANJOEROGANJOEROGAN) is that I'm genuinely interested in knowing how you arrived at it. But you're either unwilling or unable to detail that process and prefer instead to use science-fiction-movie-derived tropes to dismiss someone who's an easy dismissal in the first place because of their TV career. (Which is an interesting dynamic because of how many people on this board have dismissed you.) That's fine. It's just the the Boreds anyways.

stepenwhale, do you consider the matrix movie a 100% real figurative example of reality? you reference it a lot and you could be doing it to just simplify/dumb down the conversation, or maybe you mean it, just curious.

Talk to me more about the quartz necklace and all that stuff. Also, talk more about DMT. thank you

I think I'm ready to try DMT now... never before did I want to get anywhere close to what I experienced on salvia - it was perfect. But now, I think I am READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never thought I'd post seriously in this thread, but here I am. So I went to Vegas over the weekend for my buddy's bachelor party . One of the groomsmen who's nice but kind of nutty really wanted me to take mushrooms with him on the ride over. I've been mildly curious about mushrooms for many years but never seriously considered trying them or was ever in a situation where they were readily available. I only smoke weed on occasion with friends, usually while drinking.

A third guy drove, I rode shotgun and groomsman in the back. He handed me about half a piece of chocolate and I chewed it up, tasted kinda funky but whatever. I also had one of those pot candies, maybe not the best idea. I eventually realized something was "off", as if I had been starting to trip for a while but just never noticed until a certain point. What I noticed most:
- Time slowed down big time. I remember looking at the clock, 10 or 20 minutes took forever. One or two particular songs seemed to never ever ever ever end. (One being "Everybody Dance Now".) 
- I felt like I was in a bubble, perhaps. To communicate with the others I had to break through that bubble, or something. (My friend in the back was tripping balls and making phone calls, and he kept telling me to "let go of control" or whatever.) 
- Once I realized what the fuck was going on, I kind of enjoyed it even if it was a little scary. I liken it to a roller coaster, sort of.
- I felt super guilty because I thought that when we arrived I would be a wreck and unable to fulfill my duties as best man (translation: hand out goodie bags). Once I was reassured that the effects would subside by the time we arrived I was much more relaxed. Indeed after about an hour I could feel myself returning to reality. When buddy offered me another pot candy I refused immediately.
- There was a point early on when I just sort of sat there and closed my eyes and shut down more or less. They could tell I was a little freaked out, but I wouldn't say I had a "bad trip." 
- Whole thing felt like dreaming, but I was awake. And like a dream, the whole thing is mostly a blur now.
- Didn't see any crazy visuals; it was mostly dark out.
- Definitely got on my phone and was googling shit about mushroom trips.
- At one point early on I could feel a distinct buzzing or vibration around my forehead and temples. Similar maybe to what I've felt once or twice when I smoked a lot of potent weed. A very intense high.

When we got to Vegas I felt fine and we proceeded to drink heavily into the night. The next morning however I felt a bit peculiar for several hours, like I wasn't completely all there, a bit detached, maybe still feeling some lingering effects. I felt hungry - or that I should be hungry - but barely ate. I shit a lot the rest of the weekend. I was worried that the weird, residual feeling would last forever but it wore off completely about mid-afternoon and I was ecstatic for that. (Perhaps at this point I should disclose that I have a history of depression/anxiety/etc and in reading stuff I have seen people say not to take psychedelics if 'mentally ill', whoever that includes. I also read about hallucinogen persisting perception disorder and shit.)

I didn't have any terribly insightful revelations, though I did seem to be thinking about things a bit differently during the trip. Only now do I recall that I was trying with some difficulty to explain that I felt as if I was thinking or existing on two levels - one 'tripping' and one aware that I was tripping. I felt a sort of kinship with the other two, particularly when they reassured me that I would be okay. Since returning from Vegas I feel like I've had some vague realizations about my life, or perhaps accepting that this is my life and I shouldn't feel bad about it...but I can't necessarily attribute that to the shrooms. This all normal?

Edited by t-sauce

This is all normal, I'd wager that the next time, if there ever is a next time, you'll be A LOT more fun.

Also, don't ever trip indoors (in a car, in a house, etc) ever again. Trip outdoors, game fucking changer.

Sounds pretty normal to me. During virtually every trip I've had, there's a stretch where I'm socially worthless. It feels like by the time I'm able to articulate what I'm feeling/thinking/experiencing, that moment has already passed. I don't know if it's just a quirk of tripping or if it's a revelation of how rapid and fluid the minutiae of cognition actually is, but it isn't pleasant. I also think the experience of a trip includes your thoughts and feelings before, during, and after the trip. That feeling of being newly able to accept yourself and experience gratitude for your life is the reason I tripped more than once.

After reading and feeling a bit funky the past few days I don't think I should touch the stuff again anymore - I'm not mentally/emotionally stable enough for this shit. It fucks with your head too much and my mind already fucks with me enough normally. I'm already prone to various disorders and I don't want to open the door to something worse down the line. I shouldn't even be thinking/posting about it right now, just going to make me more paranoid. Yeah I'm being a pussy about it, whatever. You wouldn't believe the kind of psychosomatic stuff my mind has dealt me in the past, sober. Pretty sure I'm going to be fine but even the small risk of ending up with something like, say, HPPD is enough for me to not deal with it anymore. I think this stuff is super interesting and should be researched, I'm sure it has benefits for people that can handle it but it's not stuff to be messed with lightly. It seems like it reflects the user and if you're a neurotic worrywart sonuvabitch like me then it's just not worth the stress. 

I had a friend who said he felt strange for a month or two after tripping his first time, which is the longest I've ever heard. (He went on to trip at least 20 more times after that, by the way.) The point is, you're going to be fine. You're going to settle back into your own sense of reality. Stop fueling your paranoia by reading shit about HPPD.