Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carmellomangexp

The Serial Podcast

37 posts in this topic

Great epidode...didn't inform us on anything new. Defense fucked up badly but doesn't mean he did it or not....next week sounds like they're doing the psychopath test

this is what i've really been waiting for. looking for to next week, immensely. 

today's was fine, but just didn't hold my attention that well. sounded like a pretty awful defense, agreed.

I was under the impression that Adnon had a full appeal coming up with a relatively good chance of getting the outcome he wanted...but I guess that's not the case. And I never thought about how maintaining innocence after a conviction could destroy the chances of being paroled. A lot of interesting wrinkles in the justice system are being exposed, even if the mystery of this case in particular is stagnating.

I was under the impression that Adnon had a full appeal coming up with a relatively good chance of getting the outcome he wanted...but I guess that's not the case. And I never thought about how maintaining innocence after a conviction could destroy the chances of being paroled. A lot of interesting wrinkles in the justice system are being exposed, even if the mystery of this case in particular is stagnating.

I could never understand how someone could take a 'plea' deal under the threat of being in jail for, say, life over 10-15 years because being in jail for that long and even having that on your record basically forfeits your life.

But I did understand where Adnon was coming from with his point...and that was REALLY fucked up.

Still: like I said, I don't know who else did it....but his lawyer sucks

Imagine paying a lawyer $65K-100K to represent you: that's, like, 4-5 yearly salaries for me to make that and be represented.

How pissed would you be that your lawyer's team bungles the most simple deadlines to meet, fails to follow through on shit you want to be brought up/defended.

The kicker was how people sued her and actually won: that was mentioned in the last 7 minutes of the podcast. 

Fucking lawyers.

Kumail Nanjiani: This week's Serial felt reckless. Chasing a harmful rumor that's utterly irrelevant. I stole money from my mom once. I could be a murderer!

Yeah, I thought this was ridiculous to give creedence to that too.

I think it should have been ridiculed FAR more by Koenig there...while acknowledging people in Adnan's community felt he had it in him because he stole $ (LOL @ some fucking guy saying he stole $100k...yeah, go fuck yourself.)

I think that there's something to be said that, 'you don't just graduate to murder'

The Columbine kids did a WHOLE bunch of shit before Columbine (read the excellent book)

Some kid 2 years below me in high school burned down one of science teacher at my high school's car...when it was in her fucking driveway. All because she gave his girlfriend a bad grade.

So they figured HE did it...and police put a tracking device on his car and he caught it.

He had a firebombing kit/suit or whatever (think Lethal Weapon 4 or some shit with the opening scene)

Anwyays, the kid then burned down an ENTIRE strip mall at the edge of my town, burning down over 5 businesses, millions of dollars in damages.

The douchebag bragged about it even while he was in the middle of being charged...he got sentenced for something like 10 years.

So the kid was doing that at 16-17 years old, slowly got bolder and bolder...what would he do later after doing that?

I was looking for a red flag on Adnan, and stealing church money sure as hell is not it.

You'd lean closer to believing it would be a crime of passion.

Maybe I'm thinking a little too much in Occam's Razor mode...but is there any other explanation that makes more sense than Adnon being guilty?

I have friends who think Jay killed her, or even some mystery drug lord had something to do with it...It seems to me that every other theory requires quite a bit more conjecture or tenuous reinterpretation of the facts. I admit there is a strong pull to believe he's innocent...but so much of that comes from a highly subjective place. When I hear him talk on the phone, he doesn't strike me as someone who sounds guilty. But I have no concrete idea what a guilty person would actually sound like. And I realize the person I'm hearing now is probably a completely different person than the Adnon from 15 years ago who could have just snapped and made a horrible mistake.

I've been trying to imagine what it would have been like to be Adnon and go through with it. What I imagined all along is a lot like the explanation given by Charles Ewing...that a period of "simmering" could have taken place where thoughts of killing Hae popped into his head, almost as a dissociated kind of fantasy, and then built to a point when he decided to just put himself in a situation where it would be possible to go through with it...maybe even as a test to hopefully dispel those thoughts and prove that he wouldn't be able to do it...but then in that moment, something is said or done that triggers a highly emotional response, and he snaps and it just happens. I can sort of imagine that, and it doesn't seem that far fetched. It's hard to imagine happening right this instant as I type this, but when I think about few times in my life when I was most enraged/heartbroken/upset/depressed...I don't know. Those are times when I could have made some really bad decisions, and then it all seems much more plausible. 

The past couple of episodes have gone into the territory of dissecting every little bit to pieces.

And yet I still feel like they passed right over Jay's story about the actual burial process itself. It's fucking Winter; you can't dig a hideable body-sized hole in 25 or so minutes.

Overall I've enjoyed listening to it and seeing more justice system problems arise.

A friend of mine and I were talking about it all last week. And how can you do another season of this. Since it's so popular, everything someone says on the show has the opportunity to be used in a court. People who are being interviewed will be consciously aware of that fact and may leave out important details because it makes the case lean a certain way instead of just getting the truth out there. (Similar thoughts to what Adnan was saying this past week.)

well, that's the end...I didn't expect a big revelation so I'm satisfied with what it did...but also unsatisfied for what it means 

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/the-serial-season-finale-whodunnit-and-does-the-end-matter/

but yeah...

-Adnan should have been acquitted 

-you also have to lean that Adnan was involved somehow a bit too

It would be interesting what the DNA results come back, if anything.

Don't know why that wasn't done sooner in just about every murder case when presented.

What if it only shows Jay, but not Adnan? Would that change things? Or both, which is where you'd lean if Adnan did it....but, most likely, if neither is shown.

Adnan has nothing to lose in getting answers on the DNA.

I think it also added a lot for how fucked up the justice system is, how things are presented, and how police/prosecutors guide things in a false way.

Edited by Cassidy

I really enjoyed the ride. I didn't expect anything really big to change. Honestly, it kind of surpassed my expectations with the hope of possible DNA evidence coming to light. 

I hope the next one lives up to it. 

Ok I'm an idiot... I'm trying to find this podcast and I'm on NPR's podcast page in iTunes... I don't see it, what am I doing wrong? This is what I get for not ever listening to a podcast before dammit.

HBO has something similar with JINX going on with Robert Durst....evidence leaks out late in the documentary that his case will be re-opened

http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/03/police-have-re-opened-one-of-the-murder-cases-from-the-jinx-thanks-to-evidence-from-the-show/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+uproxx%2Fwarmingglow+%28Warming+Glow%29

-a movie was made on the guy starring Ryan Gosling

-the guy was linked to 3 different murders that are beyond bizarre

-inconsistencies in ALL his stories

-the guy goes on the run, in disguise for a long time

-movie comes out, director is contacted by Robert Durst, and wants to be interviewed publicly for the first time...his lawyers publicly advise him that if he says anything incriminating, it could re-open ANY of the 3 murder cases. He says he doesn't care.

-guy comes across creepy as shit, acknowledges how unlikable he is, etc, etc...it's obvious the guy is guilty of the murders, I'd say.

-there's a LOT of 'holy shit' moments in the series that are beyond belief

-in the last episode, new evidence comes to light that re-opens the 3rd murder case wide open.

if you guys come across it, you'll dig it.