Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
donwayneleach

Comedy/Stand-Up

63 posts in this topic

I feel like this deserves it's own mega-thread. 

I am a big comedy fan and I know some of you are too.

Last night I went and saw Nick Thune's Very Tour! Much Comedy! at a small music venue by my house in Boston.

It was really fantastic. If you haven't seen his Netflix special yet, I highly suggest it too. 

There are 3 main people on the tour and it seems like they are going to be having guests. Kate Berlant opened the show. I have seen her before. She has a really strange style, but she is pretty fantastic. She was on fire last night. This comedian who lives in Boston now was up next named Eric Ankor. He was solid. Eugene Mirman did a surprise set after. He was chilling by the bar all night watching the show. Then, Ben Kronberg went up. He has some pretty creative sets. Super nice guy too.

Nick Thune was up last and he was awesome. He is so on point with his jokes. His jokes revolved around a few longer stories. Really well developed and I imagine is it what his next special will consist of. 

After the show, my gal and I were at the bar and ended up hanging out with Eric Anker and Ben Kronberg for a bit. Really nice guys. I talked to Nick Thune for a while about sports and the super bowl. I knew he was a huge Seahawks fan. Also, a really cool guy. 

Watch Kyle Kinane's new special too. 

Watched a lot of comedy specials lately, I've always loved it. Never really went out of my way to watch/listen to good standup.

Tom Segura - Completely Normal (9/10)

Easily the my favorite special of 2014. Tom Segura is who I would want to be as a comedian, if I was funny.

Joe Rogan - Rocky Mountain High (6.5/10)

Whole lotta masturbation and cum jokes, not bad though just not his best.

Hannibal Burress - Live from Chicago (8.5/10)

He killed Bill Cosby, that gets him a couple bonus points. Also he's great in Broad City, I want him to be my dentist.

Ari Shaffir - Paid Regular (7.5/10)

He used to annoy me, then I started listening to some of his more serious episodes of his skeptic tank podcast and I started to like him a bit more. This special was solid, pretty big fan of him now gonna catch him live next time I can.

Katt Williams - Priceless: Afterlife (7/10)

Not as good as he used to be, but this special was a LOT better than I thought it would be. I'm hoping he stays relatively sane, and doesn't go off the deep end again. He's a legitimately funny guy, one of my favorite comedians.

Bill Burr - I'm Sorry You Feel That Way (8/10)

Used to think he was overrated because his angry schtick didn't always work for me, but this special relies on his anger a lot less. Its my favorite of his, he's definitely one of the biggest in the world behind CK.

Aziz Ansari - Buried Alive (6/10)

Very let down by this special. I think his focus on doing a specific themed hour every year limits him a bit... or maybe I just didn't get it.

Jim Gaffigan - Obsessed (7/10)

The most consistent comedian, he's always funny but doubt I could tell any of his specials apart.

Wyatt Cenac - Brooklyn (6/10)

Big fan of him on The Daily Show, so I was extremely disappointed in this special. It was almost like he was trying to be Mike Birbiglia, but the stories weren't good enough, nor funny enough for a special.

Jerod Charmichael - Love at the Store (5/10)

Wasn't very funny, and he was reading his jokes off a paper. Maybe its just me, but I expect a special to be much more polished.

Still need to watch

Chelsea Peretti - One of The Greats

Kyle Kinane - Whiskey Icarus, and I Liked His Old Stuff Better

Rory Scovile - anything and everything.... does anybody have an album they can send me? can't even find a good torrent.

only 8/10 for the new Burr special? WTF?

I meant to catch Jerrod Carmichael's special. I know Spike Lee directed it (I'm not a big Spike fan)

but the promo Carmichael did was amazing and probably funnier than the special, I'd assume, where he went in front of politicans. I can't find the clip, but I think it was Carmichael.

Louis CK-Live at the Comedy Store -8.5/10

surprised no real talk about that. Definitely not his best, but still as good as I expected it to be.

Rory Scovel is solid. I watched a couple episodes of 'Ground Floor' and there is something REAL likable about him.

A bit he did on his album where he fake-cries about KARATE KID being remade killed me.

I like Hannibal Burress a lot and probably need to re-listen to his specials...I was only kind of into them when I listened to them. I didn't SEE him doing his act.

seeing this year

-Bill Burr (May)

fuck and yes. There's a BIll Burr Week in Boston. I work overnights, so if more weekend shows are added or another day (I doubt it), I'm going to purchase more tickets.

-Comics Come Home (November)

had a lot of fun there.

got my brother into

-Pete Holmes

listened to on the way to see the Colts in the AFC Championship. VERY easy comic to get people into. Quotable, likable, everything.

opted NOT to see

-Marc Maron

saw 2 live WTF's in Boston (2012 & 2013), 3 live performances...the girl I went with for 1 of them and listens to WTF is a flake, so that's a bummer. My brother didn't dig him at his live show. He was all over the fucking map...but when he saw him again with me at Comics Come Home with a 15-20 minute set, he was on point.

If he adds a late Saturday show, I might be tempted to do so. I came damn close to getting tickets.

-Mike Birbiglia

still touring on 'Thank God for Jokes' tour: saw it 2x last year and it's unbelievable

planning on watching soon

-Kyle Kinane-'I Liked His Old Stuff Better'

recorded it...and even bought it too.

Planning on getting into

-Richard Pryor (everything)
I hate myself for saying this...but I NEVER saw anything he has done. Universally seen as THE best guy ever.

I bought a big collection he has done in the Fall with a lot of his CD's/DVD's.

-Steve Martin (everything)

Read his book 'Born Standing Up' (amazing) but just finished listening to it on Audible as read by him...it's fucking unbelievable. He acknowledges in the beginning it's like he's writing a biography since he's SO far removed from doing stand-up and why he quit 30+ years ago. It's NOT a funny book at all and the humor doesn't translate on the page. And you can feel that in his very straight-forward reading.

I doubt a lot of it holds up.

-Sam Kinison

saw clips here and there...always listed as a Mount Rushmore comedian to all the guys I love, even if he flamed out on drugs fast.

-Peter & Raymond-'Shut Up, Little Man' (complete recordings)

very rough recordings of 2 guys who aren't even comedians being recorded having a conversation...sounds bizarre as hell. But Patton Oswalt singled it out in his Walking the Room tribute...and Walking the Room is, hands down, my favorite comedy book, show, podcast, or anything ever.

My father loves stand up. I could quote the craziest Pryor and Kinison jokes before I was like 10 years old haha. I was never censored from anything as a kid. Pryor has always been my favorite and I don't know if that will ever change. My brother has my father's vinyl of Pryor and some other people from when he was younger. I would be jealous, but I don't have a record player. 

On car rides we would mostly listen to stand ups. My dad still listens to stand up stations on XM or Sirius when he is driving around. 

I didn't really love the new Louis special, was kinda meh'd by it but watched it when I was kinda tired.

New Bill Burr and Kyle Kinane are great though. And now I'll just list some comics I like the jokes of.

one of the most clever comedians around, love him live

favourite guy I ever got to do a show with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcnUnw8L02k

Iliza is funny. some of War Paint was meh, but she's killer

"the hearing aid guy" is a pretty good shtick. he's funny without it too

one of the greatest story teller comedians I've seen,

"penis game in church" story is one of his funniest

(he opened for Louis C.K. when I last saw him in Toronto)

Edited by haverchuck

I do have to second Myq Kaplan being great...opened for Patton Oswalt when I saw him last year. Definitely clever/whip-smart.

I'll check out a couple in this thread (Tom Segura)

Another admission: I've never listened to Aziz Ansari do stand-up. Just was never interested in him, even with PARKS AND RECREATION.

I did gravitate towards the 'storytelling comedian' in K Trevor Wilson and 'the Penis Game' obviously grabbed me

Kyle Kinane - Whiskey Icarus (7/10)

had a smile on my face the whole time, so it wasn't bad. But nothing got me lollin.

Kyle Kinane - I Liked His Old Stuff Better (8/10)
I tried to watch it falling asleep, but it didn't work I started laughing too often to actually fall asleep.

I got into an argument at work with some fat temp who was a know-it all about everything, didn't watch ANY television since he hated it (only watched movies; gave up on THE WIRE and other stuff), had higher taste in comedy, said after reading Robert Jordan that any other books ruined things for him ('George RR Martin is a hack')...glad he got canned and moved to Cleveland.

...anyways...

he hated Dave Chappelle. The people who don't like him (and I ran into a co-worker before who thought this) saying that Chappelle is a one-trick pony and can't be funny without race and/or that he's a race comedian. Meanwhile, other comics (Chris Rock; Richard Pryor) are better. Fuck, I even brought up Joe Rogan and he LOVED him. I like Rogan too...but...fuck, the difference between them as comics? He felt the same way about Bill Burr just being an 'angry' guy.

I just don't know how people could not dig CHAPPELLE SHOW or any of his stand-up. Just feels contrarian to do so.

Tom Segura - Completely Normal (9/10)

Easily the my favorite special of 2014. Tom Segura is who I would want to be as a comedian, if I was funny.

I can get why you would want to be like Tom Segura having listened to 'Completely Normal'. Solid stand-up.

Having just listened to his album (and not seeing him perform), his voice sounds a LOT like Pete (Mark Duplass) from THE LEAGUE

220px-MarkDuplassOct2011.jpg

I'd probably say I'd want...

-Pete Holmes' goofiness/deep random thoughts (I'm not as endlessly cheerful/energetic...but I tend to be ridiculous/don't mind being butt of joke)

-Bill Burr's anger/accent (I'm not angry...nor do I have an accent unlike my mom...but if I'm around an accent long enough, I can unintentionally mimic it...and I'm not a 'handy' or adventurous hobby-ish guy who would care to go into the 'technical' aspects of things: drums, helicopters, cars, etc...don't have an alpha dog mentality)

-Patton Oswalt's pop culture knowledge (not going to reach his plateaus...but my obsessions are a bit too far)

-Norm MacDonald/Dave Chappelle's cool/laidbackness (both different kinds)

-Mitch Hedberg's cool/jokes (I couldn't be a joke comic; it's unreal how good some comics/internet writers are on Twitter for being quick with the jokes)

-Eddie Murphy/Chris Rock swagger (just unreal; Kevin Hart has it too...but I don't laugh when he does it, but I do admire it' )

-Patrice O'Neal's fearlessness/ability to fuck with people/be smarter & funnier than anyone else/the laugh (just a beast; been listening to clips of him that appear on the OPIE AND ANTHONY podcast that come out and they are a fucking treasure; they released one this week where they're doing takes on country music songs; in a room full of assholes who put down each other and try to be funnier than the other on the spot, he reigned supreme as THE funniest, most unassailable, truthful)

-Dave Anthony's podcast skills/storytelling ability (The Dollop; TOFOP; Walking the Room): he's different on each one

-George Carlin's preciseness/politics (just a high-wire, memorized act that is so razor-sharp)

-Adam Sandler when he flips out (always funny)

-Joe Rogan's hobbies (nutrition; deep knowledge; MMA; workout: I wouldn't be as hyper, just would be nice to have hobbies/talents...Burr's pretty damn close with that too)

-Bill Hader's affable-ness/skillset (not a stand-up but, uh, you know?)

With my personality, at best (if it were honed out/confident), I'd probably be a goofy/random, self-loathing, far less polite version of Mike Birbiglia (a pretty clean comic). I share the awkwardness he has with things. And definitely a storytelling comic rather than a joke comic. And somewhat livelier without an EXACT mannerism he has with his voice and a deliberate slowness. I just have a mumble/laid-backness like Hannibal Burress/Mitch Hedberg.

It took me awhile to warm up to Birbiglia (from my hometown) the way I'd like to, but that guy is awesome. When his 'Thank God for Jokes' becomes a special, it should be sought out ASAP

I have a 'friend' from high school who does open mics, is a wannabe comic, works in a comic shop for over 10 years...but he's NOT funny and tries basking in the being a nerd/awkward part far too much where it's just sad. Fuck, he's a white dude with a monotone voice, dry personality, and almost never laughs and he was THE singer in a Rage Against the Machine band in high school: so fucking bad....with that said, as bad as he was, I do admire the confidence/balls to get up on a stage/be in a band. I always wanted that but NEVER could.

...oh, looked up 'Best Stand-Up Specials of 2014' on Reddit and immediately came across this...

http://www.reddit.com/r/StandUpComedy/comments/2ok03y/best_stand_up_specials_of_2014/

Ignitonight: Earlier this year I played around with the idea of trying standup, even wrote a bit or two and looked up open mics. Then I saw this special, and Segura is the exact comic I've dreamed of being..... Except a million times better. So forget about trying standup.

fucking cheater!

yeah, I rarely go on Reddit (bi-monthly?) but always weird when you see someone you know in the comments thread (Mixhail at any Warming Glow/FilmDrunk comments section)

anyways, when I find a good bit to post, I'll probably do that....but I got nothing to add here.

...oh, looked up 'Best Stand-Up Specials of 2014' on Reddit and immediately came across this...

http://www.reddit.com/r/StandUpComedy/comments/2ok03y/best_stand_up_specials_of_2014/

Ignitonight: Earlier this year I played around with the idea of trying standup, even wrote a bit or two and looked up open mics. Then I saw this special, and Segura is the exact comic I've dreamed of being..... Except a million times better. So forget about trying standup.

fucking cheater!

yeah, I rarely go on Reddit (bi-monthly?) but always weird when you see someone you know in the comments thread (Mixhail at any Warming Glow/FilmDrunk comments section)

Aahaha fuck you! Yeah I'm on reddit daily, it's fully taken over my boreds time. That said, I've come back to reality, I'm never going to try to be a comedian. Fuck that noise, I'm nowhere near funny enough. 

fucking cheater!

Aahaha fuck you! Yeah I'm on reddit daily, it's fully taken over my boreds time. That said, I've come back to reality, I'm never going to try to be a comedian. Fuck that noise, I'm nowhere near funny enough. 

I always wanted to try stand-up going back to elementary...but I just never had the balls.

When I got to college, I had classes where I did presentations off-the-cuff that got people laughing and thinking I did stand-up, but I DREAD public speaking/crowds/being center of attention. But even in college, I felt like I started too late. Then after, I felt like that still.  I have friends at work who I tell endless stories/bits to that want me to go to an open mic and try stand-up/be a comedian because of stories I tell and other riffs, but I don't have the confidence to be funny/turn it on when you're cold in front of a crowd. It's just an incredible gift and something that would have to be worked at.

That's a big regret: not trying/getting into stand-up VERY early on in high school/college and just gaining confidence.

Bill Hader said if he had read Steve Martin's BORN STANDING UP, he would have got into stand-up sooner.

I do feel like comedy podcasts are opening things up and the next generation is going to be absolutely unreal.

Here's Pete Holmes' advice and what I would have bought into if you want to try stand-up...

-go to ANY open mic and just watch the people that go up: watching people fail for 5-minute bits will give you confidence in thinking you CAN do it better than them. 

Edited by Cassidy

Yeah, I have no real confidence that I could go up on stage though and be funny with nearly every other line.

I knew one person I worked with at a supermarket (charismatic; confident; cool) but was a TOTAL and most massive tool and then turned on me in a weird way when he became a 'supervisor' his Senior year of high school

...but in high school, he would memorize stand-up bits and movie lines, repeat them verbatim. And it would work on girls and people would think he was funny. I think it's good to start out that way and maybe do it a couple times at first, but to do it every day? I always felt that was horseshit and don't think he was funny with his own thoughts other than being an entitled douchebag. Wish I called him out on it too. I'm sure everybody around here grew up with people like that.

Comedy shows attending

4/11-Marc Maron

5/10-Bill Burr

NOVEMBER-Comics Come Home

-waiting for Hannibal Burress to add another show hopefully on Saturday

-tried getting tickets for another Burr show (doing 12 shows) and I work overnights so that leaves only Saturdays/Sundays. It's impossible to get tickets for Saturday shows (they added one most recently and that's sold out except for tickets in the VERY last row)...I got tickets real close for a Sunday show.

-Kyle Kinane is doing a show at the Sinclair in Cambridge this Friday. Wish I could go to that but I work Friday nights.

others hoping for: Louis CK, Dave Chappelle; Robert Kelly; Pete Holmes; Patton Oswalt; John Mulaney; Doug Stanhope

-Mike Birbiglia is still doing 'Thank God for Jokes' tour, so I'm passing on that one

-Bummed I missed out on Louis doing shows that sold out fast @ Somerville Theatre last year.

-Patton did a show on a week night for his book tour...I would have taken a vacation day for that one, but that would have been lame. I got to find a new job/switch to days.

-nearly bought tickets last summer to see Bill Cosby (his show was canceled due to snow) because I wanted to see him before he died.. Thanfully, I passed on that one.

-already saw Patton Oswalt/Louis CK before.

I went to Comics Come Home in November (Jimmy Fallon; Denis Leary; Lenny Clarke; Jimmy Fallon; Jim Gaffigan; Bill Burr; Robert Kelly; Marc Maron; etc) and Burr, IMO, is the best comic alive (he's working through new material)...but Bobby Kelly, in 15 minutes, was just a hurricane and brought down the Garden.

I've liked Bobby Kelly for over a decade, but never really sought him out the way I should...

Finally sought this out today and it's glorious.

Opie & Anthony has a Best of shit with Burr, Louis, Patrice (tons of material), Norton, and Bobby Kelly.

The racist song bit they did had me laughing hard at work...but it's the Tourgasm bit they played when Bobby infamously broke his leg playing football on the show and then, predictably, being made fun of. "HOLD MY HAND" ...oh god damn, it's too funny.

Some comics don't have the stand-up albums/material, but they do have podcast/online/youtube clips that is just as good/funny as anything.

------------------------------------------------------------

I think the things that KILLED me as a kid for what comedy could do and just blew my mind...

-Adam Sandler's comedy albums (What the Hell Happened to Me?; They're all Gonna laugh at you)...sure with others it would be Jerky Boys
-Weird Al's "Bad Hair Day" (bought by my cousin)

-Opie & Anthony (when they were local here in MA)

-South Park

-Dave Chappelle...and then when CHAPPELLE SHOW came out

-Chevy Chase on an old SNL game show bit when told he won a clock from and going, "Boy, what a bitch"...didn't know comedy could really do that...started watching SNL and Norm MacDonald was my favorite.

-Napster (opened up world of clips/bits/best of Opie & Anthony stuff, etc)

-Youtube (just opened up the world to everything...and I still get lost on this for hours)
-Twitter (opened things up again)

-Podcasts

^all this shit got me giddy/blew my mind in a different way

Ghostbusters/Bill Murray, Robin Williams, Pee Wee, and other shit were shit I grew up with.

I know Chris Rock said that Howard Stern would be viewed as the best comic alive if he didn't do radio and just did an hour special each year instead. He's such a damn good interviewer that I'll overlook that.

got tickets for 2 more shows

4/11-Marc Maron (will be 4th time seeing him)

4/18-Hannibal Burress (1st time seeing him)

so fuck yeah to that...I got solid seats to both shows, as well as Bill Burr in May.

listened to (didn't watch)

-Kyle Kinane-'I liked His Old Stuff Better'

newest special

HIGHLIGHTS: the Chicago cop/party story; the repressed memory/blowjob story

yeah, holy shit.

-Sam Kinison-;Louder than Hell'

heard Joe Rogan mention Kinison as his favorite. Burr had him on his Mount Rushmore along with a couple of others...I wasn't as into this as others. Just didn't hold all the way through, but there's a couple bits as well as his awesome scream ("OH-OHHHHH!"). Some of the jokes he has are great though (the one with the people living in the desert)

-Andrew Dice Clay-'the Day that Laughter Died'

I avoided Dice Clay because I thought he was a hack (or had become one) and was stuck in a character. I think he might have been someone who was cutting edge/controversial for his time, but if I sought it out, it would be out of date.

Well, I listened to this...and it's awesome. Joe DeRosa said on his podcast that it's his favorite stand-up album, so I souht it out. You can hear SOME traces of Bill Burr in this with some tics he does.

The cool thing is that they purposely did shows at this place so they could get it down to 20 people or so...and it's ridiculously cool to hear how quiet it is, how brave Dice Clay's act is, in a way, and just shitting on and fucking with everybody. I mean, Jesus.

Marc Maron @ the Wilbur (last week)

-sat 2 heads back from the stage with awesome seats...

-the shitty thing about the Wilbur is if you have a good seat, you are packed in like a sardine. The chairs are super uncomfortable so even sitting for an hour sucks...and if you try to get out, it's hell. Luckily, I never bother to get up to go to the bathroom during shows. So my brother would have preferred to have been in the mezzanine or some shit.

was my 5th/7th time seeing Maron (2 stand-ups AND WTF specials in Boston; one meandering set that was a holy fucking mess last year; one 15-minute special at Comics Come Home)

this was just a REALLY great set. My brother had a good time, but is definitely not what I would say would be my brother's go-to comic. There's flaws, but he enjoys him. He was on-point with this set in an unbelievable way whereas he was absolutely fucking lost the last time.

Waited in line to get in for the 2nd show (was one of the first 10 peope waiting)...Marc came after the 1st show walking out looking at us and loudly saying, "Yeah, it was a REALLY great show That guy was great" to get us amped up and pretending like he was someone who just saw the show. Some shady girl who was high-fiving everybody who walked by (ugh, one of those) got really excited in a way that made Marc uncomfortable when he was walking the street. Was hoping she'd walk into traffic after him.

-Ashley Barnhill was the opener. Guess she opened up for Chappelle. Young comic (about my age), but liked her a lot. Solid.

Hannibal Buress (saw him Saturday @ the Wilbur)

-Al Jackson was the opener. He was great. He'll be doing a special soon and I'll be watching out for that. His Wes Welker joke was amazing. And his '5 white guys' joke. Super enjoyable set and really brought the house down. Someone to definitely take note of.

-first time seeing him...I know Shane, of all people on here, has seen that dude a lot. Translates super well live. I'm jealous of the sets you have seen.

-threw glasses into the crowd because he got Lasik. Then immediately pulled out another pair.

-employs a DJ on stage and incorporates a LOT of shit into his bits (if you saw his most recent special, it's an awesome idea). I hear Dave Chappelle, when my brother saw him at Red Rocks in 2013, has employed a DJ or some shit for the Oddball Tour. But Hannibal's incorporation is next level shit.

-brought out 3 ballerinas at the end for a hip-hop bit. It was great.

One big negative...

the crowd, which was only 2 rows where I was (back bannister not far from the stage but to the VERY back of the Wilbur on the floor) had shitty people...

-girls in front of me alternated getting up to go to the bathroom. Girl directly in front of my brother kept on taking off her jacket AND doing her hair (putting it up and down, tying it up and everything: did it 10 times and distracted the jokes)

-to our right, loud conversations were happening with some kid and some REALLY fat girls. The Wilbur charges RIDICULOUS prices. I don't drink much, so my brother learned this after buying 4 drinks that amounted to a $72 charge or some crazy shit. But they kept on talking even before this. But when they got their check, they lost their shit, talked about splitting up the check, got outraged, got their phones out like flashlights to go over it. All while Hannibal was doing shit. It went on for 5-10 minutes. They were shushed, which was met back with resistance from them. The gentleman next to me, on a date, got up to talk to them to cut the shit. 

That's the shitty thing about going to a show. People just don't know how rude they are, how they're stepping on people's jokes.

During Patton Oswalt, a gay couple to my brother's right kept on going up to the bathroom (forcing us to get up when they did so). It stepped on the jokes. Literally, 1 guy would get up to go. When he left, the other would get up to go. They each went to the bathroom 3 times. My brother finally stopped them at one point saying, "You get up to go again, don't bother coming back" (my brother's ex was livid too and wasn't bothering to let them get up and forcing them to try and squeeze by).

It's one thing for a guy to heckle a comedian...OR ...to shout something in support or whatever (which is mostly the case). It messes up the comedian's timing/rhythm...but it's a LOT worse when it's from the crowd.

I legit lost my train of thought for Hannibal's set for 10 minutes of it and could barely be reeled back in because of the cunt people to my right who just stepped on Hannibal's jokes. It was an unbelievable set, but I'll always think of how driven to absolute rage I was by people who fucked with my night and what I paid for it.

Oh, you have an astronomical beer bill? Tough shit. Move on, don't fuck up the show for others. What cunts.

so...

Hannibal has 6 sold out shows this weekend at the Wilbur.

Seeing Bill Burr next week. I was ONLY able to get tickets to one night. He's doing a whole week ('Bill Burr at the Wilbur') where he's doing about 20 sold out shows. I think Aziz had the record for most sold out shows there in a single week and Bill could top that (I'm not a fan of Aziz, even when he was on PARKS, but nor have I checked out his comedy...I'm always astounded he did as well as he did as a stand-up. I know a LOT of stand-ups I like just don't like him as a person at all. That's never been my issue. But nor do I have some hatred. Just disinterest, I guess)

Edited by Cassidy

I was at Hannibal too!

Great night. Hannibal is just fantastic live. I loved all the sports takes. The baseball, cycling, swimming, running shit was so good. 

Everyone around me was nice, but I have been there too man. It is so annoying. That sucks. I love when Hannibal told that kid to shut the fuck up haha. I overheard someone say that kid got escorted out. 

Who pays 40-50 bucks to see something only to talk over it and get kicked out? 

Al Jackson was one of the best openers I have seen for a comedian. He really won the crowd over and set up Hannibal nicely. Those jokes you mentioned were gold.

I was at Hannibal too!

Great night. Hannibal is just fantastic live. I loved all the sports takes. The baseball, cycling, swimming, running shit was so good. 

Everyone around me was nice, but I have been there too man. It is so annoying. That sucks. I love when Hannibal told that kid to shut the fuck up haha. I overheard someone say that kid got escorted out. 

Who pays 40-50 bucks to see something only to talk over it and get kicked out? 

Al Jackson was one of the best openers I have seen for a comedian. He really won the crowd over and set up Hannibal nicely. Those jokes you mentioned were gold.

Nice!

You were at the 7 pm show?

That kid who shouted ONE thing from the balcony wasn't that bad really. It was ONE thing. For Maron, there were only a couple (all supportive, mostly) but it's still annoying. But they were one-word shouts.

But fuck...the people around me fucking sucked. Getting up to go to the bathroom is a distraction (and that's one thing), but I have zero idea how the people next to me didn't get kicked out. Pay your bill AFTER the show...or, you know, don't show up 15 minutes late and order drinks. I show up super early to shit, I was there over an hour early with my drinks and shit at 6:15 (they started around 7:15ish). I don't get people.

Everybody around me, even the people that annoyed me getting up to go to the bathroom, were pissed. Even the girl that fixed her hair constantly, shushed them. I have no idea about that girl fixing her hair. She had ZERO concern that my brother and I were behind her and couldn't see the stage at all with her arms out-raised whenever she did it. Even when I wear my baseball cap, and I take it off to scratch it, I get self-conscious about distracting people behind me/stepping on jokes/obstructing the stage when I do so, so I duck, take it off, and scratch.

I've been lucky to see some AWESOME openers: Joe DeRosa (Bill Burr), Gary Gulman (Louis CK), Myq Kaplan (Patton Oswalt), Mike Lawrence (Marc Maron)-Lawrence had a raw set with a shitty/awkward closer but he was fine other than that. But Al was definitely up there.

Sometimes I knew none of them (Al Jackson; Mike Lawrence), so it's pleasantly surprising when they kill--or it's someone you recognize (Gulman; DeRosa) or have heard a lot about (Kaplan)

Edited by Cassidy

Ahh. I read the wrong day. I was at the 10pm show Friday. 

haha what did the dude in the crowd do then? Must have been bad to get kicked out.

It wasn't really that bad, but I think he continued to be obnoxious after Hannibal called him out.

When Hannibal was talking about the Bill Cosby stuff he mentioned Broad City at some point, and some kid yelled "is that all you got from that?" or something. Pretty much he was just being a dick implying that he called out a HUGE celebrity to gain followers and didn't "get much from it". It stepped all over his joke. He didn't even finish the joke after he called the kid out. He was really funny about it and got the crowd roaring against the kid. He said something along the lines of "Honestly, I am not even going to finish the joke because it is dead now, and that was way better than the joke anyways."

It was clearly just some obnoxious drunk kid in the balcony that probably didn't even care who he was seeing. 

got to meet Burr after the show and get a signed poster

11160675_10153346708996804_4939084055636

(goddamnit, my face looks very cherub-y/fat in pictures for reasons)

complimented me on the shirt; I figured he'd be doing a long Deflategate bit.

-Joe Verzi opened for Burr

-out of the 3 shows we went to the last month, my brother's favorite was Al Jackson (opened for Hannibal Burress)....he had the smoothest set for an opener easily. Burr is working on material, but it's a REALLY great set. It feels like he could do an hour right now that would kill

-Burr had a 10-15+ minute bit on Deflategate (he went back and randomly went ranting on it halfway through the show because he was so irritated by it)...it will be thrown away by the time the special is up in a year, but it would be amazing if you guys could hear it. Some of it is mentioned on the podcast he did on Thursday but he added a hell of a lot more to it that made it so much better/funnier and on point. He really shits on the Colts and makes an amazing case for the Pats

-small things he's working on is how he works himself on stage with body movement/language...and you'll see it in a gorilla bit he's working on or an airplane bit. Those were great

-obviously poked fun at some feminist shit...and did some brilliant jabs at 'equal pay' and setting that up nicely

-a recurring theme: apocalypse scenario, dwindling resources, seals washing up on the shore...a bit on sinking cruise ships as one way to reduce the populations and getting rid of unnecessary people; I think he did this bit in front of 'Night of Too Many Stars' and didn't get too many laughs; but it was developed more here and it killed

-...unfortunately...we had an AWFUL person sitting behind us. Like, a new level of annoying. My brother kept on looking back at this guy giving him a look to shut the fuck up even though he was a big, jacked dude who could fuck us up. He was with his friends in the whole row. He would have conversations out loud with his friends, laugh in an annoying way, say 'that's funny' repeatedly (no shit! they're a comedian!), and repeat the last 3 words the comedian just said nearly every minute. He got better for Burr but he still sucked. My brother looking back at him helped somewhat, but he couldn't help himself. I thought I was nearly going to get into a fight with this guy and get my ass kicked, but it would be worth it because this guy sucked...and annoying noise he was making was this weird, annoying laugh where he'd prolong it: "AHHHHHHHHHH" or "HAAAAAAAAAA!" almost like a duck; just a super distinct, loud voice.

-I REALLY wish he'd do a special in Boston with his Boston material; I've heard some on his podcast and from 2+ years ago and tonight: it would kill.

-the fatshaming shit he does on his podcast is one thing; but he added far more that is funnier in what he does with a bit about it that made me brother lose his shit

-the Nestle CEO, who he shit on in his podcast, for saying that water should not be a human right and should be paid for. He MURDERED this guy for a long bit that was so good...basically wished the guy to be assassinated and gave him this evil voice.

-thanking God that Kanye West was born a black man rather than a white man because a white man born as arrogant/asshole-ish as he would basically be Hitler.

Most the shit he's said in his podcast before but it's developed onstage to such an awesome degree.

-also got ditched by this girl at work that I've been hitting it off with for a long while. Texts went cold 3+ hours before the show when she said she was going to nao...and have been cold going on 9+ hours now. I was fucking bullshit and depressed about it. So that put a damper on the evening. I thought things were finally going my way for a change.

Edited by Cassidy

comedy albums listened to...

Aaron Karo
saw Ryan on here post a long while ago on Twitter or here about him; he's open about sexual exploits and sex is all his act is centered around...I didn't find him funny at all. Just annoying. But I think people can find this appealing. 

Adam Cayton-Holland-'I Don't Know if I Happy'
never heard of him, but he was genuinely good.

Joe DeRosa-all his albums
I'd say this is a must to get. ALL of them (start from the beginning).

there's one album he recorded: "You Will Die" where one goes well...and one was recorded that was a fucking disaster because the crowd was too drunk. So it turns into something special. He comments, at one time, that this is his version of Andrew Dice Clay's 'the Day the Laughter Died' (which is DeRosa's favorite comedy album). I'd say, for reference, it helps to listen to 'the Day the Laughter Died' and how Dice Clay plays to a VERY small room and purposely walks the room. It's uncomfortable and could NEVER happen today. And then listen to Dice Clay do the same damn thing at Madison Square.'

but yeah, DeRosa is awesome and I think people on here will love the shit out of him if they give him a chance.

He's close friends with: Bill Burr, Pete Holmes

Nick Yousseff
wish I could have liked this one, but I didn't. Bought it because it was put out by All Things Comedy and lot of the guys I liked supported this. I just couldn't get into it.

Greg Behrendt-all his shit
Definitely has its moments, one album repeats the other in parts. He's amazing on Walking the Room though.

I'm VERY protective of the shit I like and where I'd recommend people start with: for Greg, just listen to every Walking the Room episode. Dave Anthony/Greg Behrendt are absolute legends for that podcast forever in my mind. I can't restate that enough.

seeing Bill Burr at Madison Square Garden in November. 

Bill Burr joked about Caitlyn Jenner (talked about other shit I've seen in his stand-up/podcast) and that caused some controversy
http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/08/bill-burr-conan-caitlyn-jenner-reaction/

on the outrage...

I think that

some LGBT people are absolute morons about this subject...and I went to school with a lot of them.  Just joyless, humorless fucks who are overly intellectual about everything. They ruin people coming to their side. I'm a liberal...and I went to a college in Harvard Square that was super liberal.

Most people will find the joke funny/harmless...and some will see the headline that Jenner was joked about, skip seeing the clip, and believe wholeheartedly that it should be a topic that should NOT be joked about and that it is off-limits; ignoring the fact that other groups feel the same way...but don't care when other topics are joked about.

Thing is, there is something funny about Jenner, it's NOT new, but she's the the most famous to do so (Tom Gabel/Laura Grace was big in the punk scene. And that was it)...the fact that it's such a known person we're used to seeing as Bruce, you do forget the pronoun use of calling Bruce/Caitlyn 'she'. It's unintentional when you do. Years from now, this topic probably won't be joked about. But right now? It totally is. It's like they want people to JUST accept it unconditionally. If you're confused in any way, fuck you.

When I was in college in 2009, I never met a transgender person until then...and I didn't know what the term meant and I got called 'transphobic' and 'ignorant' when I was just confused. They were my friends across the dorm and one of the girls was dating a woman who eventually wanted to be a man. I was just confused and trying to understand. If you don't understand terms like 'gaslighting' , 'cis', or other shit you NEVER even heard of, you're immediately blasted. And also you're probably a 'straight white male' (a Lindy West article influenced that thinking) as if people of other genders, races, gay, and even people who ARE transgender and don't know these terms themselves. It's such a childish way of acting about a topic, so it's not surprise they act the same when it's talked about comedically.

Burr's reaction is a lot like I've overheard family members (lot of whom are gay) and co-workers and others that is privately held, in ways...but it's mostly not coming from a place of hate. Mostly confused. There's DEFINITELY inappropriate thoughts, what bathroom transgender people should go (there was a transgender bathroom bill in 2010 at the State House when I was an intern; again, I was confused as to how that was an issue to begin with...but I still had the same confusion). I think that talk should be allowed a bit. But if it makes you angry, in a transphobic way, then that's a problem...I don't see Burr's jokes/reaction to be a problem.

A lot of the hate you'll get is that Caitlyn Jenner has disgraced himself because of his Kardashian affiliation...and being on a reality TV show. So not exactly the best representative. On top of the driving manslaughter charge happening right now. That's unfortunate.

A lot of comedians I enjoyed used the term 'tranny': now that, like 'retard', is used less. Walking the Room podcast used that a lot initially until they slowly stopped. I don't think I ever used that term, but I definitely said 'retard' and sometimes still do once in a blue moon. Hahaha Burr mentioned on a podcast that he called somebody in an audience a 'retard' (he lost it on the dude) and some couple came up to him after the show pissed.

Thing is, and Burr points this out, people that belong to groups are only offended when it's THEIR group that's offended while they laugh at everything else. So if someone makes fun of some shit I like, my asshole might tighten up a bit. But you HAVE to acknowledge the person trying to be funny and break it down in a smart way too.

Wil Anderson described on a podcast that I was listening to that Burr is a favorite of his...and hes a guy who he disagrees with about 85% of the time. But the way he jokes about things in an uncomfortable/shocking way, he gets you SO into it, that by the end, you're ready to jump off the cliff along with him you're so into the joke.

But yeah, it's the internet being the internet...
The main problem that irks me about Twitter, the news, everything: Americans are conditioned to be outraged at something at all times.
a lot of people that you look at that were irked by Burr's comments: all they do is argue and be shocked by bullshit.

Republicans are trotting out shit that being politically correct is suffocating issues...but they are actually saying hateful things with hateful ideas. That's been going for a long time. The appeal with someone like Donald Trump, whom I detest, is that he is not a liar and telling things as is (most politicans have prepared speeches and act like aliens). Trump is being himself, hateful/troll-y....I see an overreaction with everything now bending towards what comedians say who are fucking joking.

but yeah, if you were offended by what Burr said, then this is pretty tame shit.
he's been workshopping/ranting about it in on his podcast/trying to find angles to be funny about it in a different way than others might in clubs. He might just throw it out after this.

But when Burr goes on Conan, it's appointment TV that he will say something that has to be seen.