Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
donwayneleach

Comedy/Stand-Up

63 posts in this topic

I heard Barry's 'Crowd Work' album and was unimpressed...probably would have been better seeing it.

Jerrod Carmichael's special filmed by Spike Lee sucked when I watched half of it...but his new NBC show premieres tonight and is said to be legit.

saw Chappelle in Providence Saturday night...Donnell Rawlings (Ashy Larry from Chappelle Show) opened for him. Really enjoyed both.

I had tickets to see Chappelle at Red Rocks in Denver last week. Bummer I couldn't make it because my friend is a douchebag who screwed me over, but oh well.
gave tickets to my ex-girlfriend instead who's living out there: she saw him years past...she smoked weed with him after the show somewhere (GODDAMNIT! SO JEALOUS!). She had an interesting story to tell afterwards that didn't make Chappelle sound so great.

Topics (Donald Trump; Ben Carson: said something like 'somebody should tell him that there's a 100% chance there won't be a black President directly after Obama'; transgender/Caitlin Jenner; LGBT rights; foot fucking fetish; sex tape; he got serious and did this unbelievable history lesson and then just sequed perfectly into Cosby and made it ridiculous; racism/Ferguson; the history of anger in this country post-WWII and seeds of anger and how it's become more unified since; marriage; getting blackmailed for a sex tape from the past and the FBI getting involved; etc, etc)

Chappelle was smoking on stage the entire time...some banter with the crowd here/there. Pretty funny to hear a lady by my section say, "That's right' and 'Preach' which were just stereotypical shit I sometimes hear from black crowds, particularly at the one time I watched the Larry Wilmore Show.

Unfortunately...
I had one of THE worst dates I've ever had since I was 18-19

and it was just fucking bombed by the miserable motherfucker I was with. She was a Kevin Hart fan and, all night, she was set on NOT having a good time, went an hour without talking when I realized she was just going to play it like that (we went on, like, 7 dates beforehand and there were ZERO issues before that, chemistry was good, laughing. I'm blindsided by WTF her problem was but I'm not going to waste time bothering. You have to try to be miserable the way she was). So I sat next to somebody who thought Chappelle wasn't funny (she never got into him before or watched his show; she's black, so I thought she might: but, again, she thinks Kevin Hart is funny so...uhhh...fuck. I thought she'd come around but she was dead-set on NOT having a good time at all and just be fucking miserable)...we walked out the show and she was just walking like a zombie; complaining about the cold (even inside the theatre). 

2 hours before the show, I was messaging Mixhail a bit with how disastrous the date was going since she was on her phone most the time and it was just hella awkward with her terse responses/indifference to anything I was saying. For fuck's sake, she went on her phone to watch a video out loud of Michelle Obama honoring Bono it seemed. 

She was PISSED at me from the night before (saw Ed Sheeran at Gillette Stadium, who she loves). Everything was good but it was kind of cold...she wanted to leave before the encore, I mentioned her favorite song hadn't played yet unless she wanted to beat traffic (I said NOTHING about wanting to leave). So we leave, but we fucked up and took the wrong turn walking out the stadium and had to walk, like, 5 extra minutes past when we were supposed to...she skips and walks as fast as she can past me, like 10 people ahead of me, so I have to book it to keep up. Awkward as hell saying good night wondering if she was still on for the following night...for fuck's sake, she was 2+ hours late showing up to the Sheeran show when we were supposed to meet on top of my idea of picking her up since she's typically late. So my texting, 'you near?' every 30 was apparently 'annoying--I'll be there when I be there' despite her being the one saying 'be there by 5-5:30' to her 7:15...fuuuuck that.

But...anyways, I think Chappelle is getting ready to record an HBO special and it's going to be great.

Glad I got to see him finally after so long...I'll happily pay to see him again. It was a tour that wasn't advertised and it was low-key, in a way.
I said I wanted to see Cosby before he died...and nearly got tickets for a show a couple years back and again for February 2015 (got canceled). Those tickets went on sale last summer and about a week later, shit came out that was just unbelievable. I don't know how Chappelle's 'comeback' will go: I'm rooting for him to do what he wants. We've been robbed of that for about a decade now and it looks like he's hella comfortable from what I feared I was hearing.

Chappelle recorded his HBO special here in Austin a few months back. It should be coming out soon. I was at the taping and it ruled. 

Sorry about your date. If it were me, that girl would get the abrupt cut-off. No phase-out texts or anything.

Edited by chase

Chappelle recorded his HBO special here in Austin a few months back. It should be coming out soon. I was at the taping and it ruled. 

Sorry about your date. If it were me, that girl would get the abrupt cut-off. No phase-out texts or anything.

nice. I thought I heard he was recording it in multiple places...I'm sure he's adding new bits, but I hate that the new special will leave out Ben Carson/Donald Trump bits. And probably added bits on Bruce Jenner/transgender that he just naturally keeps adding to more and more.

yeah, as soon as I saw her Saturday night, there was no cheer in her: I could tell she didn't want to be there...she'd never been to a comedy show before and like I was dragging her out despite her saying weeks beforehand she'd love to go.

I had a couple bad dates beforehand with her...

FIRST DATE: BILL BURR @ the Wilbur---was in the making for over 5 months. Got tickets, invited her immediately. We talk the whole day and she tells me she is going to take a nap 2 hours before the show. She doesn't wkae up at all and doesn't text me back until over 13 hours later. I couldn't mask how mad I was with her when she came in to work that week (used to work with her until a couple months back)...she had never heard of Burr before and, again, never been to a comedy show. But I kept on reiterating that Burr is one of the best comedians out there.
2nd DATE: 'Mad Max'- I loved it, she hated it. We were both laughing though: her in a 'WTF is going on?' way versus my 'WTF? This is awesome!'
3RD DATE: Fenway Park vs Blue Jays-she'd never been to Fenway for anything before so I invited her when I won tickets at work. Great seats behind home plate about 10 rows back. I don't care much for baseball and she wasn't either. I say, 'If you're not having a good time, we can leave well before the 7th inning'. So I tell her to show up before 12 PM in South Boston so we can eat somewhere beforehand for the 1 PM game; she doesn't show up until 2:15 PM. Instead of taking an Uber to the game I say, 'fuck it' and just drive straight to the stadium, skip eating, go to the game all with her criticizing my driving (I am not the best driver). She was mad that we didn't just take the T: switch from Red to the f'n Green line as it would have been faster (nah, we made good time)....we arrive in the bottom of the 3rd inning, she wants to leave less than an inning into the fucking game. I am stunned. She's on her phone the entire time on Buzzfeed, I had just got us drinks/food. So we stayed until the bottom of the 5th when the Blue Jays were blowing us out but David Ortiz hit a 3-run HR and everybody was standing up she was just sitting in her seat mad she was still at the game...so I said, "OK, let's go'...so we leave and I drive her back to her car in Quincy instead of going out to eat....waste of a day. I was seething mad inside right then but hid it pretty well.

So she keeps saying/half-joking, "Yo, I don't know why I still hang with you. Every time we hang out, something bad happens': i.e: her just being a no-show or being bored. Usually she'd say it with a laugh because I could make her laugh...but she said that at the end of Friday night and it definitely was more not joking.
So dates beyond that went real well (Trainwreck; Straight Outta Compton; Black Mass), particularly the first 2 since we hung out most the day.
Then it just all went to shit.

She's an hour out from where I live and an hour away from Boston...but I kept saying, 'would it be easier if I just picked you up?' but she kept saying no. She said, 'When I say 5-530, you got to know it means I'll be there an hour after' and it's met with zero apologies. Yeah, no. That's not how shit works. So she's 2 hours late to the show at Gillette she wants to go to, so she parks 2 miles from the stadium for 20 dollar parking rather than the 40 dollar parking. 

Mistake I made Saturday Night: neither she nor I knew much about Providence besides where the Mall was...she's a picky vegetarian, so I texted her if she wanted to eat anywhere beforehand. It was met with no text back. We meet at 730, and it takes every place we go to has an hour wait that we don't have for the 10 PM show, really. She's mad at me about not reserving a place OR having any idea where I'm going (nor does she). I'm not against getting a cab to find a place, but we ended up going back 4 floors to the Mall to eat in the Food Court...yeah, that was bad. But she shut down long before that.

But my God, she had such a shitty fucking attitude: complaining about the cold (she was wearing slippers really with no socks and a sweatshirt), saw the Waterfire in Providence (bored: took it in for  2 seconds)...walking out of the show was like she was just walking away from a car wreck rather than an enjoyable show. Like, I didn't care for Ed Sheeran, but I could appreciate it some/have a good time. Things went OK because it was her thing.

we texted at the end of the night asking if we both got home all right...but I'm done. No text backs, nothing.
I nearly took her to Denver with me for 4 days to see the Rockies, Red Rocks for Chappelle, Coors Field, ziplining in the Rockies, etc.
To be honest, I could tell she was as done with me as I was with her: at least I was trying to make conversation/joke around, trying in general, and apologizing for things not working out, even when it was mostly things out of my control.

I went from, 'what the hell am I doing wrong?' to just realizing I couldn't do anything differently or try to make it work anymore than I did.
I should have moved on sooner but she's acting like everything I take her to ends up being boring...turns out, it's her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Regan had a special on Comedy Central on Saturday...he was someone I NEARLY bought tickets to see at Red Rocks. Keep on hearing how great he is. Someone I'm trying to get into.

Edited by Cassidy

Amy Schumer-"Live at the Apollo" (HBO) ~~~~~~~~~~~~B-
(directed by Chris Rock)

a little Patrice O'Neal at the VERY end with the sex acts jokes.
I didn't laugh out loud until the kid with the mom interrupted the act to tell about a sex act: my brother did the same when Patrice came to Holy Cross

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I was tired when I was watching it live and maybe I wasn't as into it...I never laugh as much as I'd like to when watching/hearing a special; I'd prefer going to the comedy show when I can and would advise doing that instead: it's much more fun...

except I fucking hate people who...
-arrive late
-talk ('that's funny' or repeat the tail end of each joke to their friend)
-constantly get up to go to the bathroom or order drink after drink (a show is only 2 hours: how the fuck do you drink that much?!)
-argue over the tab not knowing that a club might charge more than the tickets to the show basically

^those have been my experiences where a joke gets stepped on.
At a Patton Oswalt show last year, there was a gay couple sitting next to my brother and his then girlfriend (they had aisle seats and I was on the other side): one of the couples would leave to go to the bathroom; when the other got back, the other would get back up. they BOTH did this 3 fucking times during the show in a VERY tight spot in the Wilbur Theatre by a side rail. My brother's girlfriend didn't bother to get up and make it hard for them to pass by and my brother said, "Don't fucking bother coming back" sternly to them.

At a Hannibal Burress show this year...
a couple got the tab for the show and they were stunned/enraged: (for 4 drinks at the Wilbur, it came out to like $70 before the tip for my brother and his girlfriend: they were shocked but didn't cause a scene in the middle of an act; they just learned their lesson to NOT order drinks there except soda/water): so this couple took out their phones to flashlight the bill and then had a conversation, out loud, with each other. Not even whisper, but OUT FUCKING LOUD. People around them were telling them to please be quiet and they got mad at the people around them to mind their business. I wanted to get up, throw a $20 or $50 at them and tell them to 'shut the fuck up'

Behind my brother and I at Bill Burr...
a drunken guy (wasn't a bad guy at all) was repeating the tail-end/punchline of each joke and saying, 'That's funny': he was in a group of 6 dudes so, during the acts, he'd basically yell down to his friend laughing over a joke or talking about beer. 

So yeah, while I enjoy myself at these shows, it's unreal how much you will HATE the people who do come sometimes.

I stopped hanging with one of my friends because she arrived fucking late for everything: 7 PM show: 1 hour late for Maron, catching the last 20 minutes (got to see full live WTF thankfully after his solo stand up)....purposely get tickets for a 10 PM show figuring there's no way she can be late (and for someone she's a bigger fan of than me): 45 minutes for Mike Birbiglia (for his most recent special, I got tickets to see it again so I could see what I missed; his opening bit was about late people and early people: goddamnit it was so accurate/dead-on)
BUt yeah, in comedy shows...if you're late, the lights are dark and it's impossible to find your assigned seating. And you feel like a cunt for stepping on jokes for people when trying to get there. You can feel their annoyance.

Anthony Jeselnik -"Thoughts and Prayers" (Netflix)~~~~~~~~~~A-

...this was the BIG surprise...I liked Jeselnik's special a lot more than Schumer's.

I went back and forth on Jeselnik: I know his schtick (his show on Comedy Central was OK when I did check it out but not appointment TV; his 2 comedy specials I listened to only and thought they were solid) and his Twitter work, I got what he was doing, but I never felt good about it.

He came across great on Simmons' podcast...and it made much more sense, in ways.

But seeing someone rather than just hearing them comes across so much better...and that's the case here.
First 40 minutes is him doing his schtick...but then the 3rd act, the last 20, he cuts the schtick: and that's where it becomes so much more elevated/awesome and interesting.

Drew McWeeny: The new Netflix special by features one of the best last joke cut to credits endings ever. Five stars just for that.

It definitely had a focused arc set up for the special that lead to that...and with a point to make.

I also did enjoy that, in the subtitles, they had a mention of 'Peggy laughs hysterically' for the lady who is laughing far too hard: I'm glad Jeselnik got that out of the way VERY early for the taping of his special where he singled her out.

....and I liked the way this special was directed more than Rock's directing of Schumer. Worked for me better/liked the room it was in.
Burr's special killed me: but I didn't care for the directing/black-and-white: I get that he's doing something different each time, including how it looks and is filmed, but that didn't work.

Schumer's fighting for feminism...Jeselnik's fighting political correctness. I thought Jeselnik was being more overtly rebellious and succeeding in doing that with a certain anger behind their gleeful smile. It was Joan Rivers-y: but I always thought Rivers was annoying. Definitely opened things up for comedy and I always heard comedians I love saying she's the best and killed it in a room, even to the end when she was old as shit. But Jeselnik's subdued manner is more appealing to me.

----------------------------------
I know Jeselnik/Schumer used to date: definitely weird they both released specials on the same weekend. I think they're on 'good terms' but the fuck do I know?

Edited by Cassidy

I didn't like AJ's special. That style of polishing up every joke and rolling them out one after the other bores me after about 20 minutes, even when I recognize that the jokes are well crafted. That last joke your boy McWeeny liked...you could spot the punchline on the horizon. 

I didn't like AJ's special. That style of polishing up every joke and rolling them out one after the other bores me after about 20 minutes, even when I recognize that the jokes are well crafted. That last joke your boy McWeeny liked...you could spot the punchline on the horizon. 

Yeah, I can get people not digging it. Not my favorite style, but it surprised me. I did find the 3rd act to be the best/most interesting part.

anyways, seeing Bill Burr at Madison Square next Saturday: can't wait for that one.

John Mulaney's new special on Netflix is pretty good.  Not as good as his last two.

I'm really getting into Hannibal Burress.  "My Name is Hannibal" is one of my favorite specials in a long time.  All of the audio is on YouTube.

Also liked Tom Segura's special.  Can't remember the name but it took place in Minnesota.

Def going to check out Mulaney's special soon.
like Hannibal, but he's better to see live (seeing comedy in person is so much better...even when putting up with cunts in the audience). Real fun to see with what he does...and Shane's seen him, I imagine, in NYC a ton. Fun to see what he does with the DJ and ballerinas when I saw him last.

Bill Burr/Joe DeRosa/Paul Virzi at Madison Square was, easily, the best stand-up show I've ever seen....pretty special to be at Madison Square and he brought his 'A' game, went long, and was excited.
Burr basically did the same jokes I saw 6 months ago...except they're so far advanced/developed, that it's like hearing it for the first time. I mean, holy shit: his next special is going to be up there with one of the best ever. If they had recorded last night's show, it's a classic. People were high-fiving each other DURING the fucking show in his act. Offensive subject matter in parts in the best and funniest way: equal pay for men/women and dating, women's rights, 2016 election, Kanye West/evil dictators, racism, population control. It's a greatest hits of sorts.

Chase pointed out how much better he's doing with subtle things: body language/acting out with your body: particularly at the end with the story about the gorilla who can do sign language.

'F is for Family' is coming out soon so that should raise his profile somewhat...wish there was that 'Pariah' show on FX that would raise his profile to the degree it deserves.

Sadly, I was hoping for some Pats/NFL talk or even a brief mention but NOTHING.
A brief mention about NFL/Ray Rice and pretending to care.

at least we got this from his podcast this week 

yeah, watched Mulaney's special. Meh. I digged the Bill Clinton story at the end, but I still don't think it's a standout.
Lot of love from fellow comics, but it's just a 'C' for me: I mostly found myself half-watching it.

I guess this bit comes up every now and then as something I think about and love

Patton Oswalt's new stand-up went up on Friday
Bummer that his wife randomly died the same day it went up;  kind of enjoyed her crime work when I did have the time to red it...huge bummer.
Selfishly, I love him on Twitter, his touring, his many random cameos on shows I love, and projects he might be up to (his writing). Now that he's a widow taking care of a 7-year old, he's going to have to take a significant step back from doing all that. So selfishly, it blows in that regard. He's one of the best voices we have. I hope he stays strong, but it's pretty awful.

I think he told his closer, 'the Worst Clown Ever' story on Walking the Room. I forget when/where I heard that.

Guess Netflix put up a shit ton lately, some others I need to catch up on (Tom Segura)
Hannibal Burress' was REALLY disappointing...he was amazing when I saw him in April with his DJ set/ballerinas at the end. I didn't laugh much and that's unfortunate.

Pete Holmes just recorded his new special in Chicago. Can't wait for that one.

Roast Battle (4 episodes; should be available to buy since I bought it off my XBOX one)

fun...Phil mentioned K Trevor Wilson and he made it pretty far.
Mike Lawrence won...saw him open for Maron once. He was damn good, but closed with something weird that didn't work at all.

'the Wave' made it REALLY ridiculous...and just escalated things to such a ridiculous degree. Great to see the comics/judges react to the dumb shit they did.

the Sarah Tiana (?) girl made it far; she was on Simmons' podcast (you could see Cousin Sal in the back alongside their agent, James 'Babydoll' Dixon). Fun to see the other comics n the crowd who weren't part of the show (Louis CK, Hannibal Burress, Brian Posehn, Natasha Leggero, Andy Dick, one of the Sklar brothers, etc)

Roast Battle (4 episodes; should be available to buy since I bought it off my XBOX one)

the Sarah Tiana (?) girl made it far; she was on Simmons' podcast (you could see Cousin Sal in the back alongside their agent, James 'Babydoll' Dixon). Fun to see the other comics n the crowd who weren't part of the show (Louis CK, Hannibal Burress, Brian Posehn, Natasha Leggero, Andy Dick, one of the Sklar brothers, etc)

Sarah was the best, but she choked in the last round. Her cute little blonde girl look hides an evil demon bitch below the surface, she went in dry on a couple people it was rough to watch.

Ralphie May was completely unprepared for how personal Mike Lawrence was going to get on him, and he obviously couldn't handle it. When Lawrence dropped the punchline "the reason I make fun of your weight is because its the only thing you haven't lost." I fucking lost it. That was the harshest burn I've ever heard, you could see Ralphie die inside.

You could tell Ralphie May was stunned and unprepared...and not totally sure what he got himself into.
I mean, holy shit, they included him being divorced. But I don't think he knew how much they were going to go in on his weight. The funny thing was the judges alluding to it and being like, 'We can't tell how bad his breath is...but we can visible see how, um, fat you are'

Of course, it could devolve into this...

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog's election specials are must-sees on Hulu. Like, the funniest things I've seen all year.

haha yeah. That was a fun little 4 episodes. I am glad Mike Lawrence and Sarah were the end. They were the two best. Jimmy Carr got boned by the clip board stuff. Earl was horrible aside from one joke against Jimmy Carr. I was happy to see Mark Normand there. I like that guy. His delivery and presence is tough in that setting, but I think he is a solid comedian. He can riff really well. 

The Wave is so dumb but somehow works because of the judges confusion to it. I could watch Kevin Hart just react to The Wave any day. 

Comics Come Home Boston

Posted about it here...
http://massmurdera.tumblr.com/post/153135245180/carly-carioli-on-twitter

SOme controversy since Wanda Sykes got booed for trashing Trump...then Nick DiPaolo went on, trashed her basically, and incited the crowd even more (even shit on her on Twitter after). Crowd was split both ways. Crowd was basically all white too. That's Boston for you, though.

Bill Burr is the best. Did his airplane bit that I think is being left out of his next comedy special but it's fucking fantastic...Robert Kelly killed it again.
It's a fun event that unfortunately got backlash for Wanda/Nick. I kind of expected SOMETHING to happen because it was post-election, crowd definitely had drunks, yelling, and some fighting in the audience and by the concession stands

-----------------------------------------------------------
-Pete Holmes' comedy special coming out in December (HBO show coming out in 2017)
-Bill Burr recorded his special; should be out in next couple of months or so. It's going to be great based off of what I saw in May 2015 and November 2015. It felt perfect....also Burr on Joe Rogan's 'End of the World' election podcast is amazing. He IS the show.

Going to see Bryan Callen do some standup tonight. I've only seen one of his specials, but he's one of my favorite podcast personalities so I'm really looking forward to it. Should be a great show.

I finally got around to watching Roast Battles the either night. My boy K Trev killed it. Really funny series, can't believe Ralph May said okay to doing it in the first place. 

-Pete Holmes' HBO special 'Faces and Sounds' is good. Premiered tonight.
-Bill Burr's special is coming out on Netflix in January. Can't wait for that. I heard Filmdrunk talk about Burr. They like him fine, but I kind of wanted to cunt punt them for not sucking his dick and praising him for the comedy God that he is. He is a motherfucker. I don't know if anybody's comedy special translates the way it does live (Hannibal Buress live? Awesome. His recent special? Sucked and didn't capture him)...but if Burr is on Conan? It's a must-watch. If he does panel work OR what the hell he did taking over the stage on Joe Rogan's Election Night Podcast over other comics like Doug fucking Stanhope? Goddamn!...his podcast...seeing him live is amazing and as good as anybody I've seen and every time he gets better. He reached God status awhile ago, even if 'F is for Family' isn't good.
-Colin Quinn's 'History of New York' is forgettable, but fun to see Quinn do his thing on one long riff about NY. Netflix special.

Others I might check out on Netflix that came out in last month...
Joe Rogan; Michael Che

Joe DeRosa's should be coming soon.

Gary Gulman's album is fun...

Patton Oswalt praised this in a post. as he's going through his grief/terrible year..

This is...so perfect.

I can't believe I missed it when it came out. This is one of those rare -- you'd be surprised how rare they actually are -- PERFECTLY WRITTEN, REALIZED AND EXECUTED COMEDY ROUTINES.

Gary Gulman does a stand-up spot on Conan and the ENTIRE spot is on one single idea.

Do you know how terrifying that is to risk? As a comedian? If you start down this road and it's NOT clicking? There's no ripcord. No bolt-hole to safety. You've chosen this track and you better hope it brings you to the next station instead of suddenly ending in warped rails over a crevasse.

I've only seen a few people pull something like this off. Jake Johannsen did a spot on Letterman back in the 90s where all he talked about was the Midwest kid who got his arms torn off by a thresher and called 9-11 with his nose and teeth. That was the whole routine. And it destroyed.

And then there are those PERFECTLY WRITTEN BITS that most comedy fans know. Louis CK trying to answer his daughter's repeated, "Why?" Maria Bamford getting the office orientation as a temp. Tig Notaro's cringe-y but sublime story about her disastrous show in Vegas and the ice cream cone...

NETFLIX COMEDY SPECIALS 2017
-Bill Burr
-Dave Chappelle has 3 !!!!!
-Chris Rock

Went and saw Ali Wong just a few weeks after her special came out, and she killed with an entire new hour. Really looking forward to more material from her.

Saw Louie CK the day Trump was elected. Half expected him to do an entire set on that, but only made one joke about the atmosphere in Dallas being a lot different than that in New York. Pretty sure the material he did was older, and recorded at a previous date, but the special hasn't come out yet. 

Beyond excited for the next Burr special. Scheduling issues have made him one of the few a-list, national touring comedians I haven't seen live. Gotta fix that in 2017.

On Saturday, December 03, 2016 at 11:28 PM, Cassidy said:

-Pete Holmes' HBO special 'Faces and Sounds' is good. Premiered tonight.
-Bill Burr's special is coming out on Netflix in January. Can't wait for that. I heard Filmdrunk talk about Burr. They like him fine, but I kind of wanted to cunt punt them for not sucking his dick and praising him for the comedy God that he is. He is a motherfucker. I don't know if anybody's comedy special translates the way it does live (Hannibal Buress live? Awesome. His recent special? Sucked and didn't capture him)...but if Burr is on Conan? It's a must-watch. If he does panel work OR what the hell he did taking over the stage on Joe Rogan's Election Night Podcast over other comics like Doug fucking Stanhope? Goddamn!...his podcast...seeing him live is amazing and as good as anybody I've seen and every time he gets better. He reached God status awhile ago, even if 'F is for Family' isn't good.
-Colin Quinn's 'History of New York' is forgettable, but fun to see Quinn do his thing on one long riff about NY. Netflix special.

Others I might check out on Netflix that came out in last month...
Joe Rogan; Michael Che

Joe DeRosa's should be coming soon.

Gary Gulman's album is fun...

Patton Oswalt praised this in a post. as he's going through his grief/terrible year..

This is...so perfect.

I can't believe I missed it when it came out. This is one of those rare -- you'd be surprised how rare they actually are -- PERFECTLY WRITTEN, REALIZED AND EXECUTED COMEDY ROUTINES.

Gary Gulman does a stand-up spot on Conan and the ENTIRE spot is on one single idea.

Do you know how terrifying that is to risk? As a comedian? If you start down this road and it's NOT clicking? There's no ripcord. No bolt-hole to safety. You've chosen this track and you better hope it brings you to the next station instead of suddenly ending in warped rails over a crevasse.

I've only seen a few people pull something like this off. Jake Johannsen did a spot on Letterman back in the 90s where all he talked about was the Midwest kid who got his arms torn off by a thresher and called 9-11 with his nose and teeth. That was the whole routine. And it destroyed.

And then there are those PERFECTLY WRITTEN BITS that most comedy fans know. Louis CK trying to answer his daughter's repeated, "Why?" Maria Bamford getting the office orientation as a temp. Tig Notaro's cringe-y but sublime story about her disastrous show in Vegas and the ice cream cone...

NETFLIX COMEDY SPECIALS 2017
-Bill Burr
-Dave Chappelle has 3 !!!!!
-Chris Rock

I thought Rogan's was absolutely great and he's usually hit or miss with me. Love his podcast though (especially now that he's less conspiratard and Redban left).

Tom Segura is coming here on the 28th, but his show is sold out, other than individual tickets or a group of four for $200 each (no thanks).

Guess I'll keep checking StubHub.

Edited by Oceanic

Bill Burr's 'Walk Your Way Out' premieres January 31st on Netflix.
Fuck and Yes.

also, I need to catch up on the Roast Battles: that'll be next week before the Super Bowl. Sure they're available to watch/buy on XBOX and other shit

Bill Burr's special this Friday on Netflix. I saw the trailer for it. Glad to see that the boat cruise/population, Hitler/dictator (and where that goes), and Nestle 'water is not a human right' bits are in. I think SO much is going to be left off, but the Madison Square Garden will be available on recording. The gorilla bit is THE best use of body language to tell a joke and that could be his closer (when Chase was on here, he mentioned how much better he's gotten in that regard). The airplane turbulence bit I think will be left off, but I wish that would be kept in. My friend had trouble breathing for that bit in November.

Joe DeRosa'-new special comes out February 3rd.

saw Norm MacDonald at the Wilbur last night: think that's going to be a Netflix special; they were taping it and had a massive set-up going, cameras, beams, moving cameras, etc.
He went for 90 minutes...to be honest, it was one of the weaker comedy events I've gone to, but I've enjoyed nearly every show I've seen. I think they'll edit it down enough to make it a good special. WIth Norm, he's got a delivery that's kind of slow.
There's a Lee Majors/commercial joke that made me laugh hard though.

-------------------------------------

Also, this has nothing to do with anything, but I have difficulty urinating in public. It's a MENTAL block. I can whip my dick out in a stall and SOMETIMES a completely empty bathroom and I still cannot go.  I've gone to Pats' games where I go to the furthest portapotty away (like, 3 football fields away) and there's nobody in sight and I still just cannot go. 
And it's getting worse. If  I go out, I tend to be unable to pee for 7-8+ hours. It sucks.

So last night was THE peak of my shit luck...
-I purposely did NOT drink all day
-meet my friend at work (halfwya point for both of us), I use my badge to go pee beforehand
-get into Boston at 700, immediately have to pee and I am pissed about it
-eat at Quincy Market (we have awhile to kill until 10 PM, when Norm MacDonald plays)...try going to bathroom there twice, no luck
-most stores are weirdly closed on a Saturday night and it's not even 830 on walk back to Wilbur
-try going to CVS/Walgreens/McDonald's Bathrooms and anything else: mostly employees or I just know I won't be able to pee
-I see a Planet Fitness at Downtown Crossing, I say "I'm going to try here" and joke that it costs nothing to join this gym and I'm so desperate, I'll join it just to pee. Friend waits outside.
-I go in, ask the front desk lady if I can use the bathroom. She says it's for members only. I smile and say, 'that's great! I will join your gym' and she doesn't take me seriously. "There's a store down the street. You can use that one' (I already tried and couldn't). So I try getting a monthly membership, she says it would be less to get a day pass for $20 ($20 for one day? WTF?) but I am in misery: I say 'that's cool with me' and she is in utter disbelief and laughing. I feel awkward as fuck and begin to feel INCREDIBLE self-loathing towards myself which I am blocking with humor (and I am NOT bringing up that i got a shy bladder issue). I say, "I take it no one else has done this, right?" and she looks towards her co-worker who is chilling in the lobby and says, "Yeah, nope. Never happened." ANd I'm like, "Yeah, that's just great". She joked "Yeah, your day pass is good tomorrow too!" and that the bathrooms are downstairs past the treadmills.
-I head downstairs, no bag, fully clothed for winter...I go into the bathroom expecting it to be big and NOT a locker room like all the gyms I'm used to. 
-...and it's a tiny fucking bathroom and a lot of guys are nude. I am so nervous/uncomfortable I try slipping into a handicapped stall that's open, I walk in, and there's a guy who just got out of a shower. He laughs and I'm ike, "FUCK!" and walk out. I head towards a handicapped stall, still can't go, and I am cursing at myself.
-I walk out, head upstairs, smile at the lady, wave good night, and barrel my way out to my friend. I shake my head at him as a signal for "No, I could not pee" and he is in disbelief. He already texted a mutual friend saying, "Marty joined Planet Fitness just so he could pee" that friend said, "Jesus" and then texted back "...and he still couldn't pee" and then it was just "Christ!"
-my friend was pissed at the front desk lady for just not waiving me in and letting me pee

TL; DR: I paid $20 for a day pass at Planet Fitness just so I could pee...and I still couldn't pee.
Was not able to pee until I got home at 1:30 AM.

I spoke to a doctor about it and she was like, "Yeah, try therapy" and I insisted, "No" but she kept saying it awkwardly, "Yeah, therapy".
Here's my problem: I never really get anxiety or panic attacks or feel awkward going out in public. I hate crowds and won't draw attention to myself. I just can't fucking pee 98% of the time in public (I can pee fine at work and at my gym: BIG bathrooms tend to help and just being comfortable). I basically have to drink to the point of pissing my pants to do so...but I was driving. 

So I might try taking up meditation to relieve myself and see if that shit works. Or maybe just smoke pot or some shit. It's getting ridiculous.

Basically this...
https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/shy-bladder-syndrome

Roast Battle
still need to catch up with a couple, but it's damn great.