Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atila

2015 music

141 posts in this topic

anyone listening to the new d'angelo record? it's kinda funky, soulful singing, very bluesy and jazzy. i think it's getting a *tad* too much love, but there are a few really great tracks. betray my heart.

also been hearing good things about the new bjork but haven't checked it - anyone check it out yet?

spoon came out last year but that record is money in the bank. can't wait to see what kendrick has to offer us this year.

I haven't really heard anything new but my most anticipated releases of this year are new:

Wild Nothing

Calexico

The Radio Dept.

Postiljonen

Gazoota

and of course Thrice

who watched the grammy's last night? i can't remember the last time i watched even half of it, but i started watching about 25% in and was pretty impressed with the performances...

ed sheeran had questlove, herbie hancock, john mayer and some famous bassist as his backing band - they played ed's latest single and it was just realllllllllllllly well done. I really enjoyed their performance.

in addition, i really liked pharrel, sam smith (featuring mary j blige), and hozier's (who was that dope white lady singing with him) performances... katy perry's sucked, sia's vocals were good but the "show" part of it was dumb. oh and common with john legend was another good one.

I have been listening to a few albums from this year

Murder By Death - Big Dark Love
Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
Punch Brothers - The Phosphorescent Blues

Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo and Youth

Jose Gonzalez - Vestiges & Claws

I actually really enjoy all of these albums. Feeling spoiled by the start of this year. 

Edited by donwayneleach

K the Father John Misty album is instantly amazing. More so after I read all these great articles about the guy:

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/9589-father-john-misty-how-to-make-love/

http://www.stereogum.com/1736169/album-of-the-week-father-john-misty-i-love-you-honeybear/franchises/album-of-the-week/

Dude is a character. I love how he's basically making fun of hipster culture and just talks shit throughout the album, but leaves just the perfect amount of breathing room for some genuine sentimental moments. Weird that its the first album that almost doubles as a stand up comedy routine too. 

Also this song is perfect and gets better every time (probably because its so short, so you always want to hear more of it):

My two favorite albums of the year so far are probably Rae Sremmurd and Title Fight. I have to sit with the new Drake and Joey Bada$$ albums a little more. Haven't listened to Bjork yet.

Here's the new Drake album streaming if you want it, I don't get why people like Drake.

https://soundcloud.com/octobersveryown

He has the best sense of melody and ear for production of anyone in hip-hop outside of Kanye. I was right there with everybody skeptical back when I heard the kid from Degrassi was rapping but he's really good at what he does.

There are a lot of talented dudes in the newer generation of rappers that have popped up in the last 10 years but Drake and Kendrick are so ahead of anything these other guys are doing. Drake with all his 90's-R&B-worshipping Toronto producers and Kendrick with all the jazz/funk guys in LA.

Speaking of Kendrick:

Edited by Shane

So far this year I'm all about new Murder by Death, Father John Misty, Dan Mangan + Blacksmith, and The Decemberists (Hated the last couple of albums but this one is pretty good).

Looking forward to Tallest Man on Earth, Dustin (as well as Thrice maybe), Hannah Miller, Ivan + Alyosha, Laura Marling, and Other Lives.

New Iron and Wine leaked, which is like an anthology of old unreleased shit, and I don't like it at all. I love Iron and Wine's big band stuff and hate the whisper singing folk. I'm in the minority there for sure.

Not too sure if anything else has been announced that I'm looking forward to yet. But hoping for new Damien Jurado, The National, and Okkervil River sometime this year.

Edited by aspirations27

Pretty sure Shane can attest to this, but the music and performances from the show, Empire, is some of the hottest shit I have ever heard.

if Shane reads this, I just want his head to explode reading that.

https://soundcloud.com/deadoceans/the-tallest-man-on-earth-sagres

new Tallest Man On Earth song an tour

05-13 Northampton, MA - Calvin Theatre
05-14 Boston, MA - Orpheum Theatre
05-16 Upper Darby, PA - Tower Theatre
05-18 Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern
05-21 Oakland, CA - Fox Theater
05-26 Atlanta, GA - Buckhead Theatre
05-27 Nashville, TN - Ryman Auditorium
05-28 Asheville, NC - Thomas Wolfe Auditorium
05-29 Durham, NC - Durham Performing Arts Center
05-31 Washington, DC - Lincoln Theater
06-03 New York, NY - Beacon Theatre
06-19-21 Hilvareenbeek, Netherlands - Best Kept Secret Festival
06-19-21 Scheessel, Germany - Hurricane Festival
06-19-21 Munich, Germany - Southside Festival
06-23 London, England - Koko
06-24 Antwerp, Belgium - Openlucht Theater
06-25 Paris, France - Divan Du Monde
06-28-29 Stockholm, Sweden - Göta Lejon
06-30 Oslo, Norway - Rockefeller
06-27-07-04 Roskilde, Denmark - Roskilde Festival
07-02 Gothenburg, Sweden - Pustervik
07-17-19 Eau Claire, WI - Eaux Claires Festival
07-17-19 Louisville, KY - Forecastle Festival
10-12 Cologne, Germany - E-Werk
10-13 Berline, Germany - Huxley's 
10-14 Vienna, Austria - Arena
10-15 Milan, Italy - Alcatraz
10-19 London, England - Roundhouse
10-20 Glasgow, Scotland - O2 ABC
10-21 Dublin, Ireland - Vicar Street
10-23 Manchester, England - Albert Hall
10-24 Bexhill, England - De La Warr

Here's the new Drake album streaming if you want it, I don't get why people like Drake.

https://soundcloud.com/octobersveryown

He has the best sense of melody and ear for production of anyone in hip-hop outside of Kanye. I was right there with everybody skeptical back when I heard the kid from Degrassi was rapping but he's really good at what he does.

There are a lot of talented dudes in the newer generation of rappers that have popped up in the last 10 years but Drake and Kendrick are so ahead of anything these other guys are doing. Drake with all his 90's-R&B-worshipping Toronto producers and Kendrick with all the jazz/funk guys in LA.

Speaking of Kendrick:

Kendrick blows me away, he's incredible and I'm fully on that bandwagon. With Drake, I just don't get it. His flows are never really impressive.

Then again maybe I just don't have the best taste in hip hop, there are some pretty embarrassing Macklemore posts in the hip hop thread.

So the new Purity Ring album is a disappointment. They sound so toned down and conventional now, like a wannabe Chvrches, which is ironic since I think the same accusation was level at Chvrches when they started blowing up. They got less weird and theres too much reliance on typical Hip Hop and EDM beats. Still some good songs, like "Begin Again" and "Repetition",  though I think I'm playing em out really fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4DZBUXA758

The new Modest Mouse and Sufjan leaked

They are both great.

Modest Mouse is my favorite band. To see them come back after a long hiatus with an album this good blows my mind. I kept waiting for it to drop off part way through the album. The second to last song might be my favorite. 

Sufjan is really minimalistic, dark and beautiful.

What a year so far!

New Sufjan Song is great. Kinda typical at first, but I love the build up that starts halfway through. Plus its about its relationship with his mom who abandoned him at 3 and was in and out of his life since she was a crazy drunk :/

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/9595-true-myth-a-conversation-with-sufjan-stevens/

I haven't listened to Sufjan in a super long time... I don't know if I can get back into them... I don't listen to SUUUUUUUUUUPER mellow music really ever anymore.

New Modest Mouse is really fun, I need to listen more... I just dl'd the new Kendrick last night can't wait to check it out :)

Going skydiving then seeing rx bandits on sunday in santa barbara... i can't wait for both!