Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atila

2015 music

141 posts in this topic

Yeah I downloaded the new Sufjan album last week and it kinda put me on suicide watch. The whole thing is real depressing. "Should Have Known Better" is the best song because its got a nice mix of the dark and light. I can't really get into "No Shade In The Shadow of the Cross" because its both morose and way religious.

I listened to the first 7 tracks of Kendrick Lamar and was disappointed....I love his voice, how fast he can go at times, but I just don't care for the music as something to go back to.

I didn't listen or get into his 1st record that much either.

There's definitely interesting music going on in the background that's left-of-center from what I'd expect...but it's just boring to me. He's definitely saying/doing some real shit, but meh.

'King Kunta' was the only song I kind of liked, had a fun beat/flow to it...then I got bored for everything straight through 'Alright' and jumped to 'i' (track 15) which I love...but then they fucked that up by letting the last 2 minutes of that song be Kendrick talking/rallying to a crowd of some sorts. They fucked up a good thing!

I'll let it sink in and go back to more tracks...but I did kind of expect this record to be post-Ferguson and all that, but we'll see. There just wasn't anything that I wanted to go back to as much.

I'm just totally out of hip-hop the way I was ALL about in middle school (90s were peak hip-hop and I had EVERYTHING)

I never have bought a Drake song or album, so I don't know if I can judge the dude, but I don't like him.

I don't like Kanye's voice/flow, let alone his ego. But I do find his music good, ambitious, flawless production, and super ambitious in a way that makes sense why he's the biggest artist.

also new Modest Mouse...I'll get around to that eventually.

As someone who's totally just a casual Modest Mouse fan, the new album is pretty great so far (about halfway thru). 

And that MMJ song is pretty good. I liked Circuital but felt like it was a bit...restrained.

new courtney barnett album is out today.  RIYL - nirvana, grunge riffs, run-on folk lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-nr1nNC3ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NVOawOXxSA

Edited by hcmg

The new Kendrick album is awesome, even though the tracks themselves don't really distinguish from one another. Its like one big story and treatise and I dig that, especially in today's iTunes shuffle age of albums just being made up of a collection of singles.

I do feel like he is yelling at me alot throughout it though, like to the point that I wanna lock my car doors and not make eye contact with anyone when driving through a bad neighborhood. So yay for making me uncomfortable? 

Edited by Mixhail

I love Kendrick, but I wish Kendrick the person would make a little more room for Kendrick the emcee on the album. Halting the flow of the album to add a few more lines to a poem that isn't very interesting is particularly frustrating. This album doesn't feel very musical after five or so listens.

Man its only the end of March and I already feel like the output this year has already surpassed everything from last year.

the new Madeon album is great. I wish more EDM artists aspired to make music that actually has a soul or substance behind it. Also I did not know the dude could sing, he does really well here.

Everyone's clamoring for a Madeon-Porter Robinson collaboration now because both their albums are kinda similar, and I'll be stoked to see that happen.

I am enjoying the new album a lot. I am honestly surprised. I haven't liked a full album by them in a while. 

This year has been unreal so far for music.

Fuck man -- I have never felt so old and out of touch with society in my life. I'm still carrying Thundercat's last album on my phone as a "new album", and googling for details on when the next Weakerthans album will drop. I don't even know what's happening in music anymore.

With that said, the new Kendrick Lamar album is amazing. Love that smoky jazz sound that flows from song to song. And that pac interview at the end, with the jazz music building, just gives me chills. It's so well produced.

Also digging Tuxedo. Need to give it a proper listen, but it's a fun side-project from Mayer Hawthorne. Just a fun funk album that does a pretty good job of emulating that old sound. 

And fuck it. I'm going to give the new Strung Out album a go. Those old bastards. Their last album (in 2009) was not great (I was pretty sick of punk by that point too), but it'll be interesting to see what they pull off after 5 years.

Also looking forward to the new Strawberry Girls album (Zac still post here?), Brand New are apparently recording (and apparently finally shipped out the lyrics to Devil and God, haha). Giraffe Tongue Orchestra are finally releasing their new album, which I look forward to listening to.

Edited by NoiseAround

^ I'm still waiting for BTBAM to start writing songs in the 3-5 minute range again. I just can't get into their long ass, disjointed songs. My mind didn't change when I saw them live for the first time in like 7 years last year with Deafheaven either. 

There's another new Passion Pit song out. I don't like it. Which is weird because I love the hell out of "Lifted Up (1985)" but the other two kinda suck. Now I'm worried about the new album :/

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2015/04/06/397270196/passion-pit-until-we-cant-lets-go?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=music

^ I dug it. Already better than anything off of Daisy (which I hate to no end). Can't believe its been 6 years between albums for them. And I remember thinking the wait between Deja Entendu and The Devil was bad.