Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atila

2015 music

141 posts in this topic

Yeah Daisy was fucking great. It's hard to follow up Devil and God, especially with an album that sounds nothing like it. Despite that, I still loved it.

Everything on that album is dour and blah. Because Jesse didn't write any of the tracks. All the songs sound the same to me and it is impossible to prove otherwise dammit.

Everything on that album is dour and blah. Because Jesse didn't write any of the tracks. All the songs sound the same to me and it is impossible to prove otherwise dammit.

It's an OK record. Couple good tracks, but I do find myself skipping that record over their others...DEVIL AND GOD is one of my favorite albums though.

Jesse didn't write any of the songs? Huh?

Didn't the band admit that DAISY wasn't that good of a record as they wanted it to be?

Eh, there's an entire podcast dedicated to Brand New just about every week (Absolute Punk) that I don't care about.

the amazing - picture you

david bazan - oblivion

the districts - hounds

milk & bone - pressure

villagers - courage 

this is what i got for right now. maybe someone will enjoy one of these. 

^ "I swear I read that Jesse didn't write the album, the guitarist dude did all the work."

Their guitarist, Vinnie, wrote the songs on that record. Love you, Mix, but you're dead wrong about this album's lack of diversity. I think what sets Daisy apart from Devil and God is how incredibly diverse this album is, almost to a fault. It's the proverbial roller coaster, launching from dissonance (Vices) to somber (Bed) between almost every track. It's paced like an action movie with songs that explode giving way to songs that take a more consistent, softer approach. I dig Daisy sonically, but lyrically it lacks the sharpness and poignancy of Devil and God. There is no "Jesus Christ" to be found. Outside of "Bought a Bride" and "You Stole," I feel like this album was a step in the wrong direction for BN lyrically, but it's not nearly as bad as people make it sound. Needless to say, I'm beyond stoked for new stuff. The prospect of new Thrice and BN in the same year makes me smile.

What I've been listening to all year: 

Jeff Rosenstock - We Cool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbD_KegM_mQ

This album is, for me, a shameless example of confirmation bias. No one makes me feel better about drinking on a Tuesday than Rosenstock. This album has a great, fun energy to it. Saw his band live in Brooklyn with Andrew Jackson Jihad, Smith Street Band, and Chumped and had a killer time. 

The Sidekicks - Runners in the Nerved World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW90JJVGaVg

This is a band I've become a huge fan of this year as I've been devouring Weight of Air and Awkward Breeds since being turned on to Runners. I'd hate to describe them as derivative, even if they wear their influences unabashedly on their sleeves (definite Built to Spill, Weezer, Beach Boys, Shins, Brand New, Girls vibes all around). The Weezer love has been toned down a bit, thankfully, giving way to a strong indie rock record.

PUP - PUP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6UaplvdnWM

Just, fuck yes. This is as explosive and earnest a punk release as I've heard in the last five years. So much fun. Can't wait to see them live. 

Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zes8P2blm4

I'm sure y'all have heard a ton about this album. Former drummer of Fleet Foxes, etc. What PUP earned in volatile kick-ass punk with me, this dude earned with honesty. Intensely personal and slightly self-deprecating -- it's like Fleet Foxes expanded their sound and got a caustic novelist to write their lyrics. Dig this album hard. 

Edit - Still don't know how to fucking embed videos here. Cock. 

Edited by Vince

I actually thought Daisy was fairly well received. Anyways, I think I'm in the very scarce minority that didn't like most of Devil and God... I mean, there are a few tracks, like "Jesus Christ", that I loved... but didn't care for the album as a whole.

^ Wow. "Jesus Christ" is the one of the only songs i hated off that album (that and Millstone). I thought the melody was annoying (with the "and aye-yi-yi-yiiiiis) and the lyrics too heavy handed. Can't believe that was their biggest hit single from it. Doesn't matter though because that was my favorite album of 2006 since the rest of it just kicks ass.

Vince you got a point about the lyrics on Daisy not connecting much at all. I guess that's what we can agree on, and it makes me think that the reason I love Brand New so much is for the lyrical content first and foremost. That and I think the production on Daisy sucks. Everything sounds too muddled, and thats probably why i got bored with it so much.

Btw I Love You Honeybear is still the top album of the year for me. I think the only person who can knock it off will be Kanye because I loved each of the songs he's previewed off the new album so far. I do wanna punch Father John Misty in the dick though for not playing "Chateau Lobby" either night of Coachella.

Ah, one of the few bands I regret not being able to see at Coachella (or at the Orpheum). They've been super heavy and loud the two times I've seen them.

I get to see My Morning Jacket Saturday at Boston Calling. I am so fucking excited. I also see Run The Jewels and St. Vincent. I haven't heard Marina & The Diamonds, Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance guy), Tove Lo, Mo, or DMA's before. I will try to check them out this week.

I love the new MMJ though. 

I can't believe Modest Mouse, My Morning Jacket, Built To Spill, Death Cab and Sufjan all released albums this year. They are all good if not great too. Younger me is even more excited.

Not to mention all the other good albums. Father John Misty, Pokey LaFarge, Kendrink, Justin Townes Earl, Murder By Death, Punch Brothers, Lupe Fiasco, Joe Pug, JD McPherson, Tobias Jesso Jr. Ryley Walker, The Staves, Jose Gonzales, Houndmouth, Alabama Shakes, Tallest Man On Earth, etc.

Great year so far

havent been to my house in 5 weeks (staying at my parents house) and my laptop doesn't travel with me due to it being a piece of shit (HP) so i am just catching up with music now:

hot chip

jamie xx

raekwon

asap rocky

kamasi washington

passed on toro y moi and florence after reading less than stellar reviews, really excited for the kamasi record and to check him out + crew live next week in hollywood

yeah, three albums in one, insane journey, similar to coltrane 

Kamasi's band is called "the west coast get down" with other sick jazz dudes including jazz bassist Thundercat... I literally just found out a couple days ago they play in hollywood every wednesday and friday at this spot called "the piano bar", Apparently it's a really sick vibe, no cover or anything, I'm gonna try and check it out next friday.

The Hot Chip album, specifically the second half, is some of the best music they've released in at least 5 years, "Need You Now" is a standout.

That's funny that Hot Chip and Cut Copy both have a song with the same title.

Does Kamasi play at that residency thing? It sounds familiar. I haven't heard a lick of any of this but I'm interested.

Kamasi and his band, The West Coast Get Down, seemingly have a residency on Wednesday and Friday nights at "The Piano Bar". Looked into it and the place gets rave reviews and I heard they're rad live. Definitely going to scope it out next week, either Wednesday or Friday. Will let you know my impression.

Riley of Thrice recommended the Story So Far's new album as a solid pop-punk band on his Tumblr page, even if he's about as out of the loop on that genre as I am even if he listens to far more music than I.

Riley ​linked to the first track, but I dig the 2nd song more.
A friend of mine digs them/saw them at Warped Tour (I think) and met them a year or so ago...I always thought any band on Warped Tour not named the Wonder Years was shit, but there you go.
I'm digging it...even if it takes me forever to get past the first 2 awesome tracks (takes me forever to get through albums when I'm digging it)

Brandon Flowers of the Killers has a solo album...yeah, I haven't gotten past the first song on that album. I'm enjoying that one. Starts off corny/lame for the first 15 seconds or so, but it's damn good. Stick with it.

Shane just recommended some new music in a tweet, so I might check out that (Superheaven).

well-directed video

Riley also recommended Pianos Become the Teeth (heard them a couple month back given love by an Absolute Punk Podcast) and a full set they did: the video quality to a song they did as better than I thought. We'll see if I get into it. You can get somewhat of an Explosions in the Sky-vibe but with vocals in the below song/quality of the video

I guess Absolute Punk spoke about how personal the album material is (death of a father). It's something I could attach myself to.

I couldn't get into Modern Baseball for the life of me. I don't know if I gave the Front Bottoms a decent chance either.

Riley of Thrice recommended the Story So Far's new album as a solid pop-punk band on his Tumblr page, even if he's about as out of the loop on that genre as I am even if he listens to far more music than I.

Riley ​linked to the first track, but I dig the 2nd song more.
A friend of mine digs them/saw them at Warped Tour (I think) and met them a year or so ago...I always thought any band on Warped Tour not named the Wonder Years was shit, but there you go.
I'm digging it...even if it takes me forever to get past the first 2 awesome tracks (takes me forever to get through albums when I'm digging it)

Brandon Flowers of the Killers has a solo album...yeah, I haven't gotten past the first song on that album. I'm enjoying that one. Starts off corny/lame for the first 15 seconds or so, but it's damn good. Stick with it.

Shane just recommended some new music in a tweet, so I might check out that (Superheaven).

well-directed video

Riley also recommended Pianos Become the Teeth (heard them a couple month back given love by an Absolute Punk Podcast) and a full set they did: the video quality to a song they did as better than I thought. We'll see if I get into it. You can get somewhat of an Explosions in the Sky-vibe but with vocals in the below song/quality of the video

I guess Absolute Punk spoke about how personal the album material is (death of a father). It's something I could attach myself to.

I couldn't get into Modern Baseball for the life of me. I don't know if I gave the Front Bottoms a decent chance either.

^ That Pianos Become The Teeth is pretty good. Props for posting that guy, I'll have to download their ish now.

If you like them, I think you'd dig Touche Amore if you haven't checked them out yet.

It's weird how the Springsteen/heartland rock sound can be heard in artists as disparate as Brandon Flowers and the Gaslight Anthem.