Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atila

2015 music

141 posts in this topic

It's weird how the Springsteen/heartland rock sound can be heard in artists as disparate as Brandon Flowers and the Gaslight Anthem.

Both do a good job embodying the spirit....Flowers vocals you can sense it in those BIG moments.

But yeah, got a chance to listen to Brandon Flowers' full album and it's pretty incredible.
With the Killers, I listen to maybe 3 songs on their albums and skip the rest...this album, I maybe skip 2-3 songs total.

There's a lot of Bruce vibes for sure on this that I get.

I guess he chose a producer (Ariel Rechstadt) who produces albums for Haim, Taylor Swift, Sky Fereira, Carly Rae Jepsen: you can hear something like Taylor Swift's voice in "Between Me and You" with a HEY in the beginning.

The album is DEFINITELY cheesy at times and I can't help but get a really corny Don Henley vibe at times with some of the piano shit...but it's still fucking good and has a big sound to it.

He's damn fucking good and it makes me rethink Brandon Flowers, for sure. He's still only 33, so we'll see.

Rolling Stone: ...Taken together, The Desired Effect is something rare — the best straight-up pop album made by a rock star in recent memory.     

I miss out on a LOT of the influences Flowers has on this record (ELO; New Order; Duran Duran; Peter Gabriel) that I just never listened to really.
------------------------------------------------

-I keep on waiting to see what Brian Fallon does between Gaslight albums; he always does something interesting. I think he's going to converge his side projects (Horrible Crowes; Molly and the Zombies) under one name and do something acoustic-y. We'll see.

-the 1975 is due to come out with a new album possibly later this year. Their debut album has quite a few fillers, but I listen to it so damn much. It's a great record. Even if their singer kind of gives me douche chills when I see them on Youtube.

It's weird how the Springsteen/heartland rock sound can be heard in artists as disparate as Brandon Flowers and the Gaslight Anthem.

Both do a good job embodying the spirit....Flowers vocals you can sense it in those BIG moments.

But yeah, got a chance to listen to Brandon Flowers' full album and it's pretty incredible.
With the Killers, I listen to maybe 3 songs on their albums and skip the rest...this album, I maybe skip 2-3 songs total.

There's a lot of Bruce vibes for sure on this that I get.

I guess he chose a producer (Ariel Rechstadt) who produces albums for Haim, Taylor Swift, Sky Fereira, Carly Rae Jepsen: you can hear something like Taylor Swift's voice in "Between Me and You" with a HEY in the beginning.

The album is DEFINITELY cheesy at times and I can't help but get a really corny Don Henley vibe at times with some of the piano shit...but it's still fucking good and has a big sound to it.

He's damn fucking good and it makes me rethink Brandon Flowers, for sure. He's still only 33, so we'll see.

Rolling Stone: ...Taken together, The Desired Effect is something rare — the best straight-up pop album made by a rock star in recent memory.     

I miss out on a LOT of the influences Flowers has on this record (ELO; New Order; Duran Duran; Peter Gabriel) that I just never listened to really.
------------------------------------------------

-I keep on waiting to see what Brian Fallon does between Gaslight albums; he always does something interesting. I think he's going to converge his side projects (Horrible Crowes; Molly and the Zombies) under one name and do something acoustic-y. We'll see.

-the 1975 is due to come out with a new album possibly later this year. Their debut album has quite a few fillers, but I listen to it so damn much. It's a great record. Even if their singer kind of gives me douche chills when I see them on Youtube.

I was actually underwhelmed after first listen - I still might prefer Flamingo - but certain tracks grew on me on the second or third listens.

Mewithoutyou's new album is tight. Strong lyrics throughout. Seeing them in NYC in month or so. Should be a wild show -- I've never seen them live, but I've heard they're incredible. 

-V

That's funny that Hot Chip and Cut Copy both have a song with the same title.

Does Kamasi play at that residency thing? It sounds familiar. I haven't heard a lick of any of this but I'm interested.

YO! I went out to this spot solo last night and it was soooooooooooooooooooooo RAD! I am definitely going back next week. Definitely.

The opener, Aaron Durr was fucking SICK. Think 4 piece QOTSA and the 4th being a singer on an old school saloon style piano. Saloon rock. Super sick.

And Kamasi and co. got dowwwwwwwwwnnnnnn... and the venue is super chill, super mellow, easy layout, didn't get crowded til past 11 and it was always easy to get a drink - bartenders were friendly.

DEFINITELY recommend this... may try it out on wednesday since I bet it's even more easy going.

Why is no one talking about the new Tallest Man on Earth album? Its great. A little repetitive on the 2nd half, but it feels like his most complete album yet. Usually I skip half the songs on his albums, but I dig everything here.

The Wonder Years just announced their new album today, 

"No Closer To Heaven" will be released on 9/4/15 via Hopeless Records. 
01. Brothers &
02. Cardinals
03. A Song for Patsy Cline
04. I Don't Like Who I Was Then
05. Cigarettes & Saints
06. The Bluest Things on Earth
07. A Song for Ernest Hemingway
08. Thanks for the Ride
09. Stained Glass Ceilings (feat. Jason Aalon Butler)
10. I Wanted So Badly to be Brave
11. You in January
12. Palm Reader
13. No Closer to Heaven

Soupy's beard makes me jealous.

about time. They released my favorite album in 2013 when I thought I was through/over with pop punk and ANY new band that might be on Warped Tour (out of the loop with that shit)

I enjoyed this too when I heard it on Sklarbro Country
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7LLBBGOfKY

I got Nirvana vibes with it...which, since it's a woman, will get it compared to Hole. But her vocals are better.

Brand New releasing EP or LP this year
http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/brand_new_aiming_to_release_either_ep_or_lp_this_winter

I remember Riley mentioning on an Absolute Punk podcast or some shit about how funny Brand New in the way they do things: they only give interviews basically to foreign publications (and that's what happened since it's in Spanish). But they still do REAL well despite doing everything wrong.

-----------------------
I never got into Tallest Man on Earth the way others did...but I'm digging the song Mixhail posted.

Edited by Cassidy

The new Wonder Years song is pretty good.

The new Refused album was pretty decent, need to re-listen a few times to make a decision on it I think.  Some good riffage though.

A few other things I have been listening to lately

Christopher Paul Stelling - Labor Against Waste 

Leon Bridges - Coming Home

Sturgill Simson - Metamodern Sounds In Country Music

Active Child - Mercy 

Rhiannon Giddens - Tomorrow Is My Turn 

Tom Brosseau - Perfect Abandon 

I love this year for music

listened through Leon Bridges once...it's OK.
I dig the throwback sound that some bands do at times (Gaslight Anthem with the odes; Mayer Hawthorne with a new age motown feel) but it just felt like a great imitation without doing anything special. I think he'll do better going forward.

I got ya. I don't love it either, but it is a perfect to put on at my store so the songs have grown on me a bit. He also seems like he would put on a great show. His live videos are nice. 

I got ya. I don't love it either, but it is a perfect to put on at my store so the songs have grown on me a bit. He also seems like he would put on a great show. His live videos are nice. 

There's a new Caspian single out for their forthcoming album Dust and Disquiet, out on September 25. Its great of course because they are the best post-rock band around now.

That's funny that Hot Chip and Cut Copy both have a song with the same title.

Does Kamasi play at that residency thing? It sounds familiar. I haven't heard a lick of any of this but I'm interested.

YO! I went out to this spot solo last night and it was soooooooooooooooooooooo RAD! I am definitely going back next week. Definitely.

The opener, Aaron Durr was fucking SICK. Think 4 piece QOTSA and the 4th being a singer on an old school saloon style piano. Saloon rock. Super sick.

And Kamasi and co. got dowwwwwwwwwnnnnnn... and the venue is super chill, super mellow, easy layout, didn't get crowded til past 11 and it was always easy to get a drink - bartenders were friendly.

DEFINITELY recommend this... may try it out on wednesday since I bet it's even more easy going.

I wanted to go to Piano Bar tonight but I'm confused. Is Kamasi always there when it's the West Coast Get Down? I messaged their FB and the guy said he wouldn't be there this week because he's working on a film score. So does that mean this Kamasi dude will still be there or no? haha

The West Coast Get Down is his band that he's in. But if they're saying he won't be there this week... then he probably won't be there. You're right - you are confused...

Eh, I wrote that poorly. I messaged the West Coast Get Down page asking if they were playing the Piano Bar and whoever responded said "he" was working on a film score. I think it's Miles Mosley. 

Well they're all insanely talented. Thundercat is the actual bassist for "The West Coast Get Down" but they had some buff white dude on bass when I saw them and he was going insane. I think if Kamasi can't go, they'll prob have someone fill for him. A lot of it seemed improvised so I don't think it would be a problem... Love that spot. And make sure you see Aaron Durr, so good.

Kamasi's going on tour soon but eff it, I'll just have to venture up anyway before the whole thing's no more. Sounds like a good time.