Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atila

2015 music

141 posts in this topic

you need to go dude, it literally became one of my favorite LA spots instantly! literally no complaints.

also, not sure how many of you so-cal people are up on things, but summer sessions at grand park is coming up, sunday the 26th of this month - those are always super fun.

and on saturday the 25th kamasi is playing a free show at grand performances (i think it's a diff location, but close by) and also tv on the radio is playing a free show in century city (need to rsvp for that)

i'm throwin a party on saturday, so tomorrow will be prepping for that otherwise i would definitely head down... you're gonna love it.

definitely get there to see aaron durr - get there early because his group is actually just as good (or better) than kamasi n co. (just easy to listen to while still being very talented) and more importantly, there will be a line if you get there too late. get there before 10 and you should be good on beating the line... but get there around 9-930 when aaron durr gets on if you know whats good for you (verify that start time though)

let me know how it is! you better go.

I went. Aaron tweeted me back to confirm he started at 9. Of course I was running just a bit late but got there a few minutes after 9 - scored a primo parking spot on the corner - and they hadn't started yet. Amazingly intimate little "venue". I would compare his style more to, I dunno, Jason Mraz or Maroon 5 than QOTSA but it was quite enjoyable. I want to find studio recordings for at least a couple songs he played. 

West Coast Get Down was...a slight let down, only because it was way less 'jazz' than I expected. Still entertaining though. Kamasi showed up for the first set. The night seemed to be a showcase for one of their guys' upcoming albums. It was more live hip hop than anything. Which was cool. Ended up leaving at the start of their second set. It was fun.

Nice! 

Then venue/bar is cool, huh?

That Kamasi set doesn't sound like their best, but I guess that means that it's probably more different each time than one might expect. When I went it was veeeeery jazz, but a lot of free form kind of stuff where I thought they were improvising quite a bit. I also left during the middle of the second set. Planning to go back next month.

Saw some amazing stuff at Newport Folk Fest this weekend. 

Some solid sets I saw:
Joe Pug, Leon Bridges, Hiss Golden Messenger, Tallest Man On Earth, Langehorne Slim, Traveller, Spirit Family Reunion, Nathaniel Rateliff, First Aid Kit, Blake Mills, Hozier.

The stand out performances were Christopher Paul Stelling, Strand Of Oaks, The Decemeberists , Jason Isbell, Sufjan Stevens, Shakey Graves, James Taylor (unannounced special performance), and the endings to Friday and Sunday.

Friday's ending was a surprise performance by My Morning Jacket (one of the best live bands ever) followed by them backing up mother fucking ROGER WATERS. The girls of Lucius, Sarah Watkins, Amy Helm (Levon's daughter) came out too. They played a bunch of great covers, some Roger Water's songs, and Pink Floyd. It was toooo amazing. Eclipse was probably the best part. EPIC. Roger Waters just looked so happy on stage. He was killing it.

On Sunday, Dawes, Dave Rawlins, Gillian Welch, Klara from First Aid Kit, Lucius, Blake Mills, Robyn Hitchcock, Deer Tick, WIllie Watson and some others came out a played a bunch of Dylan songs. It was the 50th Anniversary of him going electric. Taylor from Dawes played the guitar. It was really cool. 

It is always my favorite weekend every year. 

Edited by donwayneleach

^you didn't bother to see Brian Fallon? I hate you.

That does sound pretty cool though.

Late pass 2014: Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance) had an album called out called 'Hesitant Alien'. Surprisingly good. I always thought most My Chemical Romances were surprisingly great. I kept on expecting to hate them...but I just never did. Real fun. This is different than what I'd expect, but it delivers even though I've only been listening to tracks 2-8 really on loop the past week or so.

new Chvrches coming...

fuck yeah to that.
Might go to Boston Calling just to see them.

Saw Kamasi, Thundercat, and a ton of other stellar musicians get down in DTLA at a free concert on Saturday...

Yo LA people - are you guys taking advantage of all the free shows going on? Saturday had Kamasi and TV on the Radio both playing free shows - go to either? Sunday had Summer Sessions in Grand park which is always sick, make sure you're taking advantage.

This Saturday De La Soul and Quantic are playing a free show, it's KCRW's Sound in Focus, look it up, RSVP is mandatory. The last weekend of the month long event will be Cold War Kids.

Also, look up "Grand Plaza Performances" as well as "Summer Sessions in Grand Park" for other sick (free) events in DTLA... summers in LA are the best.

So Compton is meh at best. It's more of a compilation edited by Dr. Dre than it is a Dr. Dre album, he has two features on every single track which means he only ever really has one verse per track.

It's timetime to admit that there true genius of 90s hip hop and gfunk rap was Nate Dogg.

On a related note Warren G released a "sequel" to Regulate... G Funk Era. It's got Nate Dogg all over it and it's better than Compton because of Nate Dogg.

Edited by ignitionnight

new video...love this band and she is so cute/pretty, so that doesn't hurt.
Really want to check this band out live.

Gotdamn she is smoking hot in that video. She's got like a Rachel Leigh Cook vibe here. She probably shouldn't have engaged with those dumb 4Chan trolls in another crusade against how horribly misogynistic the internet can be, but fuck anyone who posts on 4Chan anyway. She's the shit.

So far the two new songs (this and "Never Ending Circles") are pretty good, but don't blow my mind. I kinda wanted more guitar on their next album and that's not happening on either. Also both these songs sound exactly like something Genesis made. Whatevs, they're probably my favorite band out there now, so I'm sure the new album will be good regardless.

As for other music I'm digging, I actually suck and got really really into the Paramore album from 2 years ago. I never listen to the radio, so I definitely missed out on when "Ain't It Fun" got huge, but fuck that song is amazing. The rest of the album is actually great from top to bottom too. Just goes to show you that those two brothers who quit the band and threw all that shade at Hayley and the other two were holding them back. This album just fucking owned their asses.

Oh and the 2nd new song from The Wonder Years is good.

Deafheaven released a new song today from their new album, which is probably only 2nd to Chrvches on my list of most anticipated of the year.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/17629-deafheaven-brought-to-the-water/

Still cannot get over how amazing the Kendrick Lamar album was. I can't see anything better dropping this year. Still also loving the shit out of Thundercat's EP. The Kamasi Washington album is really fun from the bits and pieces I've heard. Don't think I'll ever listen to the whole three hours in one sitting though.

Finally, I recommend the Knxwledge album, Hud Dreams. Just really fun beats with a touch of jazzy flavour.

Edit: Oh fuck I really want to listen to Compton but it's not on Spotify. Killing me.

Edited by NoiseAround

Albums I have been digging lately

Battles - La Di Da Di    Just got this today. Really excited about because they are gold. 
Max Richter - From Sleep I used to always listen to Max Richter before bed when I was younger. I have been doing it lately with this album. Really nice stuff. 
Delta Sleep - Twin Galaxies https://deltasleep.bandcamp.com/ I really enjoy this album. UK band, that takes a lot of influence from emo-revival, math-rock, Minus The Bear, 90's Indie Rock and such. It took some time to grow on me, but I love it now. The first song has some yelling/screaming that isn't on the rest of the record. If you dig that type of stuff listen to it. 

yeah, I just started listening to Caspian while at the gym lately. Slowly getting into them.

new Wonder Years came out. heard it's great; will get into that soon and Dre's 'Compton' album

new Wonder Years is fucking awesome.
Absolute Punk did a review and said it's a masterpiece; one listen through, I know I'm going to love/cling to it, but just don't know how much yet. It's different.

Chvrches comes out too...I'm loving the 3 tracks they released.
I'm planning on trying to attend the Treasure Island Music Festival in San Francisco in mid-October; I'll be missing Chvrches this weekend at Boston Calling (huge bummer since that's pretty awesome) because I'll be seeing Dave Chappelle in Providence...bummer is that on Sunday that Treasure Island is Patton Oswalt is playing a comedy show and the Pats play the Colts in Indy, the most anticipated game of the NFL year (and the game the NFL wanted purposely to be Brady's 1st game back from suspension)

Ryan Adams' cover of Taylor Swift's 1989 came out...it's the shit. Love both records.

so Caspian tomorrow; still need to check out Dre's new album.
we'll see if the new Silversun Pickups is good; never listened to Disclosure.

I've been really enjoying the new Wonder Years album, lots of really good songs on that one.  Cardinal is still my standout favorite at the moment, but not sure if it will stay that way after more listens. 

The new TesseracT album is pretty good, I'd recommend it for those of you guys who still dig that proggy-kind of metal.

Also I can't stop listening to this song (which I first heard on S2E3 of Rick and Morty, which is also so damn fucking good). 

New Deafheaven is great. It took me a few listens, but it is so good. The 2nd, 3rd, and Final track are all amazing. I think it will just continue to grow on me like the first album. I don't think it is as good on first listen, but the drumming is better at the least. 

I had the new Youth Lagoon playing at work, it sounded pretty good. I just listened to the first few songs. I will definitely give this a few listens.