Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mixhail

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

11 posts in this topic

kimmy23f-6-web.jpg

So if you haven't checked out Tina Fey's new show on Netflix yet, do it now because it is an Instant Must Watch. I finished it in just a couple of hours and now I gotta recommend it to everyone. Along with The Last Man on Earth, this is a great off the wall comedy with a premise that will make alot of people apprehensive at first, but actually makes the show so great.

For those who don't know about it, I'll sum it up quickly: The show is about Kimmy (played by Ellie Kemper from The Office), who was kidnapped by a crazy preacher in the 8th grade and kept in a bunker underground with 3 other women for 15 years. The show starts with Kimmy getting rescued, and after going through the media circus, deciding to make it on her own in New York City and not be defined by her trauma. The premise is pretty dark and I can see why NBC checked out on the show, but its all worth it because Kemper is so damn enthusiastic, optimistic and likable. She's an instant front runner for an Emmy nomination, and carries the show in a way I bet FOX wanted Zooey Deschanel to carry New Girl. You're also guaranteed to fall in love with her, because her 90s references are on point.

The show is basically a sequel to 30 Rock, with its rapid fire delivery, pop culture references, use of the same score and a bunch of the same actors. Titus is probably the most memorable as Kimmy's gay black roommate trying to make it in showbiz. Jane Krakowski basically plays Jenna Maroney again, but its OK because she's pretty damn funny as a spoiled rich trophy wife who becomes Kimmy's boss. The guest star they get to play the Preacher is fucking perfect, and I won't ruin the surprise about that.

I'm pretty bummed now that they only had a 13 episode season that seemed built around the network TV structure and regulations, but I guess that makes me real excited for it to come back whenever it does. I've seen alot of B+ reviews for the show, but it really is in A territory because you are guaranteed to binge all the way through and its probably a top 5 funniest show on already. There are some obvious problems on the show, but they're easy to look past too (we can discuss them once you guys watch it). But again, the best thing about the Netflix model is that it makes the premise more palatable because you get to learn about Kimmy's bunker days and the experiences she took from it really quickly, leaving no time to dwell on how messed up it all was. This show can easily get better come Season 2 (and it was already renewed for it), so you guys all need to get on board with it now.

Now hurry up and watch so we can quote it like crazy. It will fill the hole on your heart after losing both 30 Rock and Parks and Rec in the last year.

Sepinwall's Review

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-ellie-kemper-finds-the-joy-in-tina-feys-dark-funny-unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt

AV Club (they're also reviewing every episode 1 a day... the letter grades are too low though)

http://www.avclub.com/review/unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-provides-solid-template--215986

The Atlantic: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and the Rise of Empathetic Comedy

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/03/unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-and-the-rise-of-empathy-comedy/387676/

Edited by Mixhail

Oh and i totally forgot to post the awesome theme song. Crazy to think that the premise for all this probably came about from the Antoine Dobson video and the story about the cockbag who kept those ladies locked up in a house for 20 years a couple years back plus that one black dude who found em.

Watched pilot episode, just thought it was meh, the humor didn't hit me...will check out more.

I keep on hearing how great 30 Rock is, but I remember trying to watch the 1st season of that show on a marathon when it was on season 2 or 3...and I made it 8-10 episodes before giving up because I didn't laugh once (then again, the Office and Parks and Recreation were shows that had absolutely shitty 1st seasons before finding its steps). I intend on getting back into 30 Rock, but I think the 'upbeatness' of the show isn't something I digged or found humor in: the Office and Parks and Rec hit those groves. But I'll check it out some more and we'll see.

but you just need to check out Banshee already though. This is getting ridiculous I don't know what the fuck is wrong with you since I've been using your mother's Cinemax account this whole damn time to watch it. YOU HAVE THE ACCESS!

Already marathoned it again with some other friends yesterday and its even funnier and smarter the 2nd time around.

Its hard to pinpoint a favorite episode, but I think the 3rd onewith Kimmy on the Date with the old guy was what made me fall in love with the show. That dude was fucking hilarious. Maybe "Kimmy Is In A Love Triangle" is the best one, since it gave us Daddy's Boy and Hank from Breaking Bad as the Straight Coach. 

As for issues, the only real misfire is Tim Blake Nelson as Kimmy's stepdad. Dude is way too dumb and its too much to handle. I've also seen some legit criticisms about how the romances don't work really, and that's pretty spot on (though I think that's OK since Kimmy is supposed to have the mindset of an 8th greater, so she probably doesn't get that ish yet). And lastly, i guess Jacqualine's Native American backstory is racist, but it still generated some solid laughs to make it worthwhile. Dong is more of a racist caricature anyway, but whatevs.

Oh and the 2nd time around, I didn't realize that Tina Fey was playing the actual Marcia Clark from the OJ Simpsons trial. It was funnier once i got it.

BTW here are some references to 30 Rock that even i didn't notice:
http://www.newsweek.com/guide-30-rock-references-unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-313942

Edited by Mixhail

I thought it was really good, it definitely feels like a sequel to 30 Rock, but that's a good thing to me because I loved 30 Rock to death.

It's tough for a lot of comedies to really nail season 1, I thought they did a really good job with most of the characters and the storylines.  Some weak spots here and there, but I think that's just the show finding it's feet and the more traditional TV sitcom formula; I'd really love to see them experiment with the story structure for the episodes next season (if there is one).  One of the biggest benefits of being on Netflix would be the freedom to not be shackled to the traditional TV Network sitcom format, I hope they really embrace that aspect.

Ellie Kemper is hilarious and so damn hot in this show, I hope she starts getting more prestigious work because of this.  Titus is my favorite character though, the Pinot Noir episode was so goddamn hilarious.  My favorite guest spot was Martin Short as the plastic surgeon, I know a lot of people hated it, but it was so ridiculous and unexpected for me, I was dying laughing the entire time his fucked up face was on the screen.

^ Someone didn't read my post, it already got greelit for another season, you jagweed. /suprefan'd

Yeah Ellie Kemper is way underrated hot. Plus I'm pretty sure she's a fitness freak or something since she's way way way energetic. Still kinda funny that she looks like this though:

200_s.gif

Also I'm surprised she's already 34 in real life. She still looks like she can play a 20 year old. Guess that makes her even more perfect for this role.

Martin Short's appearance was pretty damn funny. It kinda felt alot like the Uncle Jack appearance in Arrested Development, but whereas that was a total trainwreck, Dr. Frampf totally fit this show.

Can't beat who they cast as the Preacher for the best casting decision though.

^ Someone didn't read my post, it already got greelit for another season, you jagweed. /suprefan'd

Yeah Ellie Kemper is way underrated hot. Plus I'm pretty sure she's a fitness freak or something since she's way way way energetic. Still kinda funny that she looks like this though:

200_s.gif

Also I'm surprised she's already 34 in real life. She still looks like she can play a 20 year old. Guess that makes her even more perfect for this role.

Martin Short's appearance was pretty damn funny. It kinda felt alot like the Uncle Jack appearance in Arrested Development, but whereas that was a total trainwreck, Dr. Frampf totally fit this show.

Can't beat who they cast as the Preacher for the best casting decision though.

Hah, I did skim through your first post in this thread, I need to pay closer attention because it seems I pretty much just restated exactly what you said.

I'll be 32 this year, so Ellie Kemper being 34 doesn't make me feel that bad, she really does need to do something about those scream lines though.

And that fucking theme song has been stuck in my head for like the last two weeks, even moreso than Too Many Cooks when that first popped up.  "Unnnnnnnnnbreakable!"