Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cassidy

Mr. Robot (USA)

36 posts in this topic

a socially awkward programmer who works as a cyber-security engineer by day and a vigilante hacker by night is recruited by the mysterious leader of an underground hacker group to destroy the corporation he is paid to protect

won the "episodic" audience award at sxsw 2015

^via @AdamRiff

airs tonight @ 10
got great reviews (Sepinwall; Danger Guerrero)

pilot was good...although I cringed when they flashed to Lance Armstrong, Bill Cosby...and then TOM BRADY (Deflategate has been shot to shit and it seems likely that nothing happened much; just the NFL fucking things up). I get the point though but come on!

I'd describe this show as DEXTER (hacking people and then letting them know is Dexter's version of killing people) meets FIGHT CLUB (a schizo guy where you're not sure if he's making people/things up, particularly Christian Slater 100%). It has Fight Club's anti-corporate/mundane office screed to it. But the schizo part works well since, if you're a hacker targeting big people, you must be paranoid.

I watched the first two episodes last night and really really liked it.  I wish I could marathon it.  They did a good job foreshadowing that last scene in episode two but it was still kind of shocking.  Christian Slater is kind of goofy but that's my only complaint so far.

I was legitimately shocked at one of the twists in tonight's episode, they have really done some incredible set-up in the earlier episodes.  This is definitely my favorite new show this year, lots of cool twists and turns in the plot, interesting characters, breaking the fourth wall in fun ways, and how they can just structure the show in such a way to really reflect the inner workings of Elliot's mind.

I had already hopped on board the speculation that Mr. Robot was Elliot's dad, but the twist that Darlene was his sister was what shocked me the most. 

It was great how they set it all up in the earlier episodes, with her familiarity with Elliot, her constant barging into his apartment, and her being confused why he was so surprised she had a way in.  At the start of the show, I had thought she was a character kinda like Marla from Fight Club: manic-pixie-dreamgirl trope in a way, very flighty, barging in and out of Elliot's life, and a bit crazy in her way.  I just assumed all those inappropriate break-ins to Elliot's apartment was due to that kind of character trope that's so prevalent these days, but because she is just his sister, it makes complete sense looking back.  She wasn't faking her familiarity with Elliot, she would pop in to his apartment because that's what annoying little sisters like her would do.  All their interactions make a lot more sense in this new light.  

The writers just did such a good job in subverting that trope.

And I have to say, even though I saw the Mr. Robot=Dad thing coming, they still handled it very well.  And I still have no idea how much of the other characters interactions with Mr. Robot are actually with Elliot or some different version in his mind.  Especially that last conversation Mr. Robot had with Tyrell, I have no idea how much it's just Elliot being crazy, Elliot speaking to him as Mr. Robot or whatever else is going on.

Such a great show.

^agreed. 

once the show started cooling its jets on the whole "EVIL CORP IS THE END OF SOCIETY" speak, it really found its groove and has delivered every week. i look forward to this each week more than anything (except maybe ray donovan), and this week's reveal, like you said, was handled SO well. its hard to be that shocked by a show these days, so i hope its a sign of really good things to come...

yeah, this shit is awesome. I didn't expect either of those twists. Some people might have, but it's cool to hear.

I checked out on 'Ray Donovan' with an episode or so to go in season 1. I just hated it.

Well I'm all caught up on this and its safe to say that its my favorite new show of the year, and the best show of the summer (even beating Hannibal, which has been on fire the last few weeks). Now I'm on a mission to get my friends watching before the season ends next week. Just gotta get them to look past the stupid stupid (albeit memorable) title.

I am so damn happy that Rami Malek finally has something great to do now. Dude has been an underrated actor ever since The Pacific, and now he found the perfect role where he can be both charismatic and weird. Props to the show for getting us so invested in the secondary characters so quickly too. By episode 3 I was super worried about all of em, especially Shayla (and I am now going to become a Frankie Shaw fan for life). And the dude who plays Tyrell is great too. He's the perfect mix of Patrick Bateman and Pete Campbell.

I know we still have 2 episodes left to go, but I really do think this is going to be our next Breaking Bad. Its so damn smart and has so much potential to get even better. Hell, episode 6 "Brave Traveler" may have been the best episode of a TV Drama this year (beating out "Five-O" from Better Call Saul). and it actually might just be considered a separate standalone episode that barely has to do with the bigger picture of the show. 

Mr. Robot being Elliot's dad was pretty obvious (especially after the 2nd episode and the conversation about fathers). But by combining it with the reveal that stupid Darlene was his sister (which now makes her retroactively alot more awesome), that he's working with Tyrell for some reason, and that Elliot either deleted his entire past or is a made up person himself, it makes it freaking mindblowing. I don't think I've ever watched a show with a more unreliable narrator, and there are so many more possibilities for where this could go. Hell, they could still just say that Mr. Robot is real and faked his death or whatever. I'm not worried, because the show has done a great job of coming back from its major twists.

Although I still miss Shayla. God dammit she was great. And did they have to crush our hearts even more by having her show up right away the very next episode, then walk off into the sunset with "Pictures of You" by The Cure playing? UGHHH  

Another great episode last night. 

I really liked the opening scene with Elliot and his dad and how they incorporated the Mr. Robot logo into the opening. 

The piano cover of the Pixies song "Where is my Mind" did seem a little bit too on the nose for me, but I did kinda appreciate the acknowledgment of the Fight Club influence on this show.

Tyrell and his wife are becoming my favorite characters as the show progresses, the dude that plays Tyrell is just so damn awesome; I hope he doesn't get offed next episode, because having him and Rami Malek play off each other has been the highlight of the show for me. 

Sam Esmail has also been posting on the Mr. Robot subreddit and is planning to do an AMA after the season finale next week, so watch out for that one.  And I heard USA has already signed on for season 2!

Rami said in an interview the show will run 4-5 seasons and that USA is all in on it, so I think we're good to go unless something way out of left field happened. 

Last night was so good. Might have been my favorite of the series yet. And I love how the show knows what you're thinking and then tells you it knows (Elliot's realization "you've known this the whole time" line, the fight club song just saying "hey, we know you're thinking fight club, we get it"). It's so fm refreshing for the writers to be aware of all that and have the forethought to build it into the show. This has become a top show for me lately, I look forward to it more than any other show each week. 

Yup last night's episode was good. No twists, just solid character development and Elliot catching up with the audience (aka another split personality of his) and a solid reference to Fight Club (but its not even the end of the story, just the episode, that's the best part).

I like how Tyrell's life went completely down the shitter and now he's all in with Elliot, whatever that means. I also dig how we have both a protagonist we can't trust, with an antagonist we can't trust, working together to change the world, and with no hint at what could possibly happen in the wake of it. Finale should be solid. I'm bummed it's already gonna be over because it's been a hell of a week long love affair for me.

Last night was so good. Might have been my favorite of the series yet. And I love how the show knows what you're thinking and then tells you it knows (Elliot's realization "you've known this the whole time" line, the fight club song just saying "hey, we know you're thinking fight club, we get it"). It's so fm refreshing for the writers to be aware of all that and have the forethought to build it into the show. This has become a top show for me lately, I look forward to it more than any other show each week. 

Completely agree.  I think the writer's self-awareness of the various influences really does give the show a special kind of credibility in a way.  And those references and character tropes are just used in so many good ways to completely blindside us with unexpected twists, like the whole Darlene thing.  I can't really think of a show that has done something like this so successfully over the last couple episodes. 

I like how Tyrell's life went completely down the shitter and now he's all in with Elliot, whatever that means. I also dig how we have both a protagonist we can't trust, with an antagonist we can't trust, working together to change the world, and with no hint at what could possibly happen in the wake of it. Finale should be solid. I'm bummed it's already gonna be over because it's been a hell of a week long love affair for me.

Yeah, I'm curious to see where Tyrell's loyalties end up.  On one hand, I'd love to see a Tyrell/Elliot teamup and really fuck over Evil Corp, but I am still waiting for Tyrell's inevitable betrayal and complete fuck him over somehow.  I've seen the theory floated that Tyrell and Joanna may have similar motivations to Elliot in bringing down Evil Corp, but from the inside.  I also liked the theory that Tyrell and Joanna are actually part of the Black Army dealie, connected to White Rose and are double agents or something.  But I dunno, right now I'm just leaning towards them being straight up sociopaths who seek power, but I'm thinking there will probably be something more.  What do you guys think?

"I'm pretty fucking far from OK" on the subway platform was a good Pulp Fiction reference. This show is the shit...and a good substitute for Breaking Bad.

I listened to Rami Malek on Grantland podcast: it's planned for 4-5 seasons...and USA has tried to lobby to get OTHER shows by showing off MR ROBOT, its ambitions, to show it is for real. It's definitely its most different, ambitious show that is doing something special.

Grantland had another special podcast honoring the show this week...I need to get around to that one.

finale tonight...
Grantland podcast special predicted that the shady Chinese's twist endgame is that they are engaging in war with the USA with what they are doing. Makes sense. 

finale tonight...
Grantland podcast special predicted that the shady Chinese's twist endgame is that they are engaging in war with the USA with what they are doing. Makes sense. 

it airs on wednesdays you dummy

^ aka the Makonnen's...

... I'll see myself out.

I think I still miss Shayla :(

SAY GOODBYE TO THESE!  Because it's the last time, Michael...

NSFW

Hidden Content

yRO9z8n.jpg

Godbless you. Now I love her even more and hope she achieves untold amounts of riches and success.

Oh goddamnit I thought today was Wednesday and its only fucking Tuesday?!

i JUST had the same freakout. i saw the time and jumped on torrent sites looking for a DL. couldn't find it and was flipping out. tuesday.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH GODDAMNIT!

they postponed the finale to next week due to similarities to Virginia news reporter shooting (obviously sounds like a reporter got shot in a fictional show tonight)