Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jainn

Competitive Fighting Games

6 posts in this topic

This place is dead so I highly doubt anyone will read this, and it's unlikely anyone cares, but competitive fighting games are neat, and the tournaments are super fun to watch.  

Things that make it fun and interesting: tons of strategy, spacing, positioning, space-control, mind games, and lots of hype moments.

With that, Capcom Cup Finals for USFIV are this Sunday, December 6.  

32 of the top Street Fighter players from across the world will be playing in a *super* stacked, high stakes tournament that is going to be all sorts of fun to watch.  First place takes $120,000, and there's a total prize pool of $250k for this event alone.   If you're even remotely interested, you should watch!

Countries that will be represented: USA, Brazil, Hong Kong, Singapore, France, UK, Japan, China, Korea and Taiwan.

Also, Street Fighter V is coming out this February, which is cool.  I'm planning to buy my first arcade stick to learn on during down time.  Should be fun.  

I played all of the SF4 games quite a bit, but never got good enough to play in tournaments. Went to a local one a while back, and got my ass handed to me in the first round. 

Hopefully 5 comes out on Steam day one because reddit hosts Friday Night Newb Fights that are great for practice and meeting people in the community. 

Cool, who were your mains in Sf4?  I didn't play seriously, but I thought Juri and Hugo were fun (and Sim, even though he gets dunked on by half the cast).

And you can already buy SFV on Steam as far as I know, and you'll get access to the beta when they do beta tests (next one is 12/17).  

Link to the Capcom Cup Finals stream:

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomfighters 

Stream schedule, general info: https://capcomprotour.com/capcom-cup-2015/

You and anyone else who's even a little bit interested should check it out.  It's going to be ridiculous. 

There's also a series of player showcases discussing all 32 players.  Daigo's the best known one, so here's his video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3adcR50SM

I actually love watching competitive fighting games. I've been playing SFV at tournaments and the such. Going to EVO this year too. Also really excited to watch Smash Bros. Melee at Mandalay Bay. If you haven't gotten into that and played the game when you were younger, do yourself a favor and watch. It's still super popular and by far one of my favorite games to see people of high skill play, except HungryBox - fucking jigglypuff is a piece of shit. I don't like Fox much, but I will cheer against jigglypuff in every situation.

That's funny.  I don't really care about Smash or Melee, but whenever I watch I'll almost always pull for HungryBox because I like watching his Jigglypuff, and seeing the air footsies.  

I don't understand why/how Melee is so big still though.  The execution barrier is insane, and it's the same 3 or 4 characters over and over.