Followers 0
Cassidy

2016 Music

78 posts in this topic

not sure what's coming out

Brian Fallon's solo record.
Shades of Tom Petty, Bruce, etc.
loving it.

1975's record was a disappointment. Lot of filler. I guess 'a Change of Heart' would be my favorite.

Kendrick Lamar -I'm not a fan of his music. They don't feel like songs or something to return to.  I'm surprised he's as big as he is. He's like the Radiohead of rap...and I'm surprised rap fans dig that on a mainstream level. But he will have 2-3 songs on a record that are good/repeatable.

Bill Burr had a quick, funny take on Kendrick Lamar on his Thursday podcast laughing at white Grammy voters voting for him and just rapping/singing, "THIS DICK AIN'T FREE!"

Kanye West -haven't checked it out. It's on Tidal, right? So I'm not bothering with that.

--------------------------------
Don't know what else is coming out this year...
Blink-182; Brand New; Deftones; Explosions in the Sky; Jake Bugg; Mayer Hawthorne; Thrice

Kanye's album is very good

Your comments on Kendrick are hilarious(ly stupid). Also, love your matter of fact tone, you've never lost your obnoxious touch. At least you're consistent.

ps: so you hate radiohead too?

edit: your Bill Burr comment makes me wanna listen to my first podcast ever (I won't). Looooove that guy.

Edited by atila

I dig Radiohead okay, but I don't worship it blindly the way people seem to do even when it's boring/unlistenable (see: Thom Yorke's solo album in mid-2000s). I dig their older stuff though but I still will check out whatever they do. Just not as enthusiastically as others.

I don't care for Kendrick's style of vocals. It just sounds awful at times.
And most of last year's album weren't really songs too much...it was mostly obnoxious slam poetry at times and it ruined even the songs I liked like 'i'. It was ambitious, but it took away from the songs for replay value. It was disappointing and I understand I am in the minority with that. But even Chase felt that way, which surprised me. Also, I don't care for jazz and there's elements of that. It's mostly boring to me and unlistenable.

I'm a fan of 90s rap and that's the golden age I connect/return to still above anybody else in the past 10 years or so, really.
Like, even Kanye: I dig his music/production...but I can't stand his voice at all. And, then, I also don't like him as a person. I can separate that from the music, but man, his vocals suck.

All this might sound matter of  fact, but that's my opinion. Don't like it? Blow me.

I don't understand why you don't listen to podcasts. They're awesome and the best thing to happen to comedy since the invention of the CD, really. Never even one? There's so many great ones out there.

Also, you can listen to the Bill Burr one here

^cut to the 3:20 mark to 4:50 mark for Bill Burr talking about Kendrick Lamar.

Late pass 2015: Beach Slang-'the Things We Do to Find People Who Feel Like Us'

heard Andy Greenwald/Chris Ryan/Steven Hyden obsess over this album in a Replacements way on Grantland.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/in-praise-of-beach-slang-2015s-best-most-sincere-rock-band/

I listened to a snippet on Youtube, but didn't think much.

Then Brian Fallon tweeted this weekend that he listened to them and said it was the best band he heard in a long time. So I checked them out again while at the gym. And I was wrong: they are awesome. Songs are fast, flow real well.

I couldn't get into the Japandroids 'Celebration Rock' the way others did...but this feels exactly like that, but better to me. Some Hold Steady vibes too.

---------------------------
Dustin Kensrue's covers album
Listened to tidbits of it with songs I've heard him cover before ('Round Here'; 'Wrecking Ball'; 'Down There by the Train'). It's enjoyable.

the 1975
still not a fan of the new album much. but 'Somebody Else' is a great song.

the Falcon
waiting to see what others say about this one before I purchase it.

Yeah, I definitely SHOULD listen to podcasts - but I don't. I don't really find the time unless I squeeze it into my mid work day like I do these random message board posts.

Anyways, I get why you might not like him, I have friends who don't like him or Radiohead (I mean, they're stupid and wrong, but I still know them). I was just commenting on how you present your opinion... maybe instead of responding with "blow me" examine why you get the same type of response all the time, hah. For example:

"But he will have 2-3 songs on a record that are good/repeatable."

Sounds different than "I'll like a couple tracks on his album, but I just don't find any consistent replay value". The difference is in your sentence it's saying everything other than the 2-3 good songs all suck and your word is law. I mean, you were an English major (it's weird cultivating long term relationships solely through the internet, what an age we live in), so I know you know the difference - which is why I call it obnoxious. You know better. Carry on.

I call that nitpicking if you consider 'my word is law' when I say something like that.  That's reading too into it and making it out into something different. I shouldn't have to say 'that's just my opinion' after everything I write here. That's obvious.

Hey all!

It's been a minute. Just wanted to drop in and let you know that my new band BRIDGES just released a new demo called Rainstorm --something we recorded in my railroad apt in brooklyn, ny so it's not the finished version but let us know what you think https://soundcloud.com/bridgesbandbk 

http:s//bridgesbandbk.wix.com/bridgesbk <-- our website

Best,

~A

All of these boredies putting bands together these days to whore the reps.  

Rival Sons has a new record on the way.  Band of Skulls new single from the upcoming LP is sounding aiight...

Hopefully a new Moving Mountains LP...

Thursday is playing together again at some festivals, with Geoff. not sure if that means new album could be coming late this year/next year? seems to be the trend in that old scene to reunite and put something out. don't really care if they do or not at all....

Saosin is back with Anthony Green and putting new stuff out. sounds like Circa Survive, but still could be some good gym music...

dustin's new covers album is boring...

Anderson Paak put out a great album.

The new Rihanna is surprisingly good.

The new Bas is good.

Kanye's album could've been 3 tracks shorter and he should've kept Sia and Vic Mensa on Wolves + scrapped the first verse of Father. Great otherwise.

Kendrick's unreleased demo EP > most rapper's real albums. I love Burr, but he's a 45 year old white guy. There really is no debating Kendrick's greatness. If you don't like at least some of his shit, rap just ain't for you. Outside of Kanye, there isn't a rapper alive who is can convincingly pull off as many styles as that guy. He's not just dabbling, he's legitimately do the best version of every style of contemporary rap right now. Does a trap song with Gunplay? Flawless. Pop record with 2Chainz and Drake? Owns every club in america for a year. Experimental jazz with FlyLo, Thundercat, Kamasi and the singer from Sonnymoon? Grammy. Rap over J.Cole's beats? Best westcoast gangsta rap since 2Pac. The guy's unfathomably good.

I haven't listened to any new guitar/rock music in forever but i just downloaded Savages, Run River North and Western Settings so I'll probably listen to those this week. Flatbush Zombies, too.

I'll get around to Animal Collective and Explosions In The Sky at some point, I guess.

I don't know what's coming out this year outside of Thrice. Kari Faux's album is out in a week but I heard that weeks ago.

Edited by Shane

seeing Rihanna in about 2 weeks; listened to her new album today and really hated it. Even 'Work' I don't like. The girl I'm going with LOVES Rihanna more than anything and she hates the new album too.
I'll give Kendrick another try when I get the chance via your video links.

But yeah, I've been kind of checked out of hip-hop for a long time and I don't have a grasp on it. Just does nothing much for me. but I do try.

and Alex, I'll check out Pinegrove. Listened to a couple songs and they seem okay.

coming out in April....
Explosions in the Sky
M83
Deftones-'Gore'
Mayer Hawthorne

I have enjoyed quite a bit from this year. May have missed a few. 

Pinegrove - Cardinal  (Easily my favorite)
Anderson .Paak - Malibu
Sioux Falls - Rot Forever
Yndi Halda - Under Summer
Villagers - Where Have You Been All My Life
David Bowie - Black Star
Into It. Over It. - Standards
Lucius - Good Grief
Explosions In The Sky - The Wilderness
Yeasayer - Amen & Goodbye
Feed Me Jack - Ultra Ego
Kendrick Lamar - Untitled. Unmastered.

Kanye West - The Life Of Pablo
BJ The Chicago Kid - In My Mind

Jazz Cartier - Hotel Paranoia
M Ward - More Rain 
Tortoise - The Catastrophist
MONEY - Suicide Songs
The J.U.S.T.I.C.E League -
J.U.S.T.I.C.E For All  

Vocals remind me of old Dustin from Thrice a bit.  This is pretty good, let us know when you get some more stuff up.

Thanks brother! Will do. We should be heading in the studio in the next month to track at least an EP to start - I'll post it up here when it's finished. 

Downloaded the Pinegrove album since a few of you recommended it, its fantastic. Track number 2 Cadmium gives me a major Jimmy Eat World vibe.

Edited by ignitionnight

Yeah that album is so good. I can't wait to see them on the Into It Over It/World Is a Beautiful Place tour. 

A few other good indie rock/emo-ish albums:

Sioux Falls - Rot Forever
Snow Roller - What's The Score?   This album has some awesome fun riffs. I

I don't know if anyone here ever listened to Piebald, but they are doing a reunion tour. They were pretty big in MA amongst people my age. I just got tickets to a Boston show. 

Saosin is back with Anthony Green and putting new stuff out. sounds like Circa Survive, but still could be some good gym music...

"The Silver String" sounded like a Circa b-side, but this doesn't.

LOL at the comments pining for Cove and panning this "new" aggressive Saosin.

Edited by DK.

I jumped on that pinegrove as well. It is pretty pretty pretty good. I can't get enough of the older more raw sound that is coming back these days. I've been listening to nothing but turnover, free throw, prawn, dikembe, and more of that ilk recently.

I'm looking forward to the balance and composure whenever that comes out. I really liked their last album.

Also, the new basement was kinda alright. Oh, and that two song turnover EP... I like their new sound. It's really chill.

Yeah, nothing has beat Pinegrove for me this year.  There are a lot of good indie/emo/rock bands with good melodies out there right now.  I really suggest Snow Roller and Sioux Falls if you like that stuff. 

I am seeing Pinegrove Thursday with The World Is A Beautiful Place and Into It Over It. Should be fun.