Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cassidy

2016 Music

78 posts in this topic

yeah, that song is fucking awful. Here's some boring, over-the-top bass for people that think Flea is the shit still...and then lets add some random ass Kenny G piano halfway through.
RHCP gives me douche chills. You like them still but you don't like and outgrew Thrice? Fuck. You. You overgrown 10-year old. 
White funk kind of sucks...but Kiedis' non-sensical lyrics and lisp-y voice take away from the music.

But something worse than Kiedis? A high school cover band TRYING to cover a RHCP song

Now there is your 'holy shit'

Also some kid I went to high school with covered Rage Against the Machine's 'Killing in the Name Of' and was the singer even though he could not sing, had the most lifeless/monotone voice ever, not angry, and was just awkward as fuck. Oh, God: I get so embarrassed just thinking about it even now.

and yeah, I was harsh on DK purposely...but fuck RHCP and fuck that song.

That song definitely sucks.

New Radiohead with PTA doing the video. Awesome song and video. Apparently they are dropping their album this weekend.

Also, James Blake released a new album that seems pretty solid after checking a few tracks. There is a song with Justin Vernon of Bon Iver. 

Other new albums that have come out recently that I have been digging

You Won't - Revolutionaries -- Local Boston 2 Piece. They make really fun songs. He kinda sounds like the guy from Deer Tick. Good friends with Lucius. put on a really good show.
KASHIWA Daisuke - Program Music 2 -- Japanese composer. Has some Post-Rock style moments. Really great album.
Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide To Earth -- I am a big Sturgill fan. He continually evolves from his country stylings. A lot of 70s rock influence here. Not his best album, but still good. 

Edited by donwayneleach

Yeah, not bad at all.

And what about that new Radiohead eh

edit: whoops, didn't see there was a second page here

Edited by t-sauce

yeah, that song is fucking awful. Here's some boring, over-the-top bass for people that think Flea is the shit still...and then lets add some random ass Kenny G piano halfway through.
RHCP gives me douche chills. You like them still but you don't like and outgrew Thrice? Fuck. You. You overgrown 10-year old. 
White funk kind of sucks...but Kiedis' non-sensical lyrics and lisp-y voice take away from the music.

and yeah, I was harsh on DK purposely...but fuck RHCP and fuck that song.

I'll be the only one who thinks it's cool that they can put out a song that sounds two decades old.  (The pianolude sucked.)

As someone who never liked RHCP, I like that song. I mean, I've liked songs, here and there - of course - but I've always hated Anthony Keidis (preach Cassidy).

ANyways, I thought it was fun, nothing crazy... I liked the ending.

The new Radiohead is solid... it's kind of a snoozer, but it's still better than 96% of music. And hell of a lot better than stupid KOL. 

Pretty clear east/west divide on RHCP.  

Y'all are mad about some names in the band?  Why care?  I didn't post it and say Kiedis or Flea are the greatest individually, but assembled it's unique and has worked for a very long time.  Of note -- I don't pay attention to who their mainstream fans are.  I'm sure they're terrible because RHCP have been inherently cool SoCal for well more than two decades in the mainstream and half of the people in this world want to think they themselves are inherently cool SoCal.  I see comments from all over the world with people using RHCP logos as their avatars -- clearly the vibe is defining for those people wherever they're from.

Define a "douche chill" for me.  Guys I'd find at a gym or large/crowded bar?  Bros?  I don't keep up with those types with what I'm putting out into this world -- are they RHCP fans?  And once we understand the definition, should that matter to me?  

So much good music this year. 

I know everyone is pumped on Thrice, but here are some other newer albums I have been listening to.

The Mercury Program - New Myths Very excited to have these dudes back. Groooovy Post-Rock
Fruit Bats - Absolute Loser For fans of Wilco, Indie-Folk, The Shins
Car Seat Headrest - Teens Of Denial Great indie rock album. This kid pumps out albums. Kinda wild. 
Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book Solid mixtape. I like Acid Rap more, but this is getting a ton of hype. 
Kyle Craft - Dolls of Highland influences from all over the place. The Beatles, Bowie, Jason Isbell, Folk, Indie-Rock. cool album. 
Day Of The Dead This is one of the better tribute albums out there. Lots of cool takes on Dead songs from bands like The National, Wilco, Bonnie Prince Billy, Local Natives, Hiss Golden Messenger, etc. Love seeing Orchestra Beobob on there. Listened to them when I was younger. Daniel Rossen of Grizzly Bear singing on Terrapin Station is awesome. 

Albums just bought...
-Car Seat Headrest (heard a LOT about this: AV Club gave them an 'A', Robert Mays on the Ringer-who I trust since he digs Gaslight Anthem so we're cool...what is he? Like, 23? And has released 11 albums? WTF?)
-the Hotelier (Absolute Punk or whatever remains digged this band last couple of years. Riley pimped a song of theirs that was impressive'; AV Club gave their album an 'A'...I think them and Pianos Become the Teeth are bands I've been intrigued by but have held off on checking out that I probably should)
-Deftones -'Gore' (surprisingly consistent 20 years in)

Album bought from previous years
-the Story So Far (been playing their last album a shit ton while at the gym. Creeped up on me as really great; so going back to listen to their older stuff. I'm completely out of the loop with pop-punk or that sound, but this and Wonder Years are great with Wonder Years being the best pop punk band ever, really)

Holding off on...
-the Falcon 
-Lonely Island -waiting to see movie first
-Tegan & Sara
-Beyonce -I saw a bit of this on HBO before they took it down and found it impressive...I just wonder/doubt if I would be into this album as others are.
-Sturgill Simpson -some dudes seem to be into him, but I don't know if I like his voice.

Won't buy or check out
-Kanye West
-Chance the Rapper

^yeah, I'm not going on fucking Tidal to buy/check out your album/mixtape

The newest Falcon is not as good as the previous one or the last Lawrence Arms record. Not bad, but I didn't find much replay value in it. 

I am a huge Sturgill fan. Not my favorite of his album, but it is solid.

Update: The RHCP album is absolute garbage and the pianolude in "Dark Necessities" was a preview of the rest of the album being all over the place terrible.   

Update: The RHCP album is absolute garbage and the pianolude in "Dark Necessities" was a preview of the rest of the album being all over the place terrible.   

I am shocked!  Hopefully the lyrics are still a mix of gibberish and references to being from California at least.

the Hotelier- got reviewed in Rolling Stone AND the AV Club...yet Thrice can't get reviewed by either of those publications since, like, Alchemy Index 1 & II. WTF?
Also, I googled 'the Hotelier' after I bought their album...and they're from Worcester, the city right next to my town. Yeah, nobody I know knows them...and not like any newspapers I see publicize them either locally. WTF?

-----------------------
Blink-182 album comes out this week. I wouldn't be interested...but they got Matt Skiba, and I'm hoping it revitalizes both.

Every Time I Die -September

I said this one my shitty-ass Tumblr blog 2 years ago but it bears repeating...

Henry Rollins on Slayer: “So many bands, they go on with their career and they "progress”, which means their albums suuuuuuuck. But Slayer…it’s like between albums they put them in a block of ice. *mimics being frozen and then breaking through the ice* All right! It’s still 1981! Go! *yells* “

this quote basically applies to bands I like that actively ‘progress’ and speak about that (Gaslight Anthem; Thrice; Brand New) .much to the dismay of a lot of their fans who are alienated by that and want them to come up with the same records. I tend to side with the bands on that one because I trust those bands.

…But… 
Henry Rollins talking about Slayer can be applied to Every TIme I Die. They make the same exact record every time, they know it, you know it, and it’s still fucking great. Sometimes, it’s good to just have that.

^it's from one of his spoken-word albums and I know I saw it on one of his DVD's. It's probably on Youtube, let me check...

yeah, here is it is: cut to the 90-second mark

^the quote is FAR better/hilarious in that context. It's funny as hell whenever I think of any band talking about 'maturing' and 'progressing'. I can't really argue against it and it's THE best defense for people who just want bands to stay the same, I guess. There's truth to it.

some early top records for me.

nothing - tired of tomorrow

parquet courts - human performance

bazan - blanco

king gizzard and the lizard wizard - nonagon infinity

also this song, over and over.