Fleshgod Apocalypse - King
Poison Headache - S/T
Thrice - To Be Everywhere Is To Be Nowhere
Mermaidens - Undergrowth
Fallujah - Dreamless
All them Witches - Lightning At the Door
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Seven Sisters of Sleep - Ezekiel's Hags

It's been a pretty good year so far. Also, I might forget that this place exists until next year

Yeah that song is so fun.

Marty did you go to Modest Mouse and Brand New? 

Xfinity center is the god damn worst. Worst venue in the state. $13 beers.

Both bands played well though. The Sound mix is always a mess though. Brand New played a bunch of my favorites. I really didn't like their new songs and I don't really like Daisy. Modest Mouse had a great set list and played outa their minds but the mix was just sloppy at times. 

I was trying to see them at Red Rocks in Denver just because I've been looking for a show to go there to see for 2+ years now....the surprising thing is that at Boston Calling, Brand New opened for Modest Mouse. Brand New was fine (surprising since people don't like them as a live band) but Modest Mouse was disappointing...I heard clips from friends at the show and it sounded real bad. But most clips from phones do, but it went beyond that.

I've never been to Xfinity Center/Mansfield/Tweeter Center, whatever it is now. It just seems like white trash-y venue. $13 beers? WTF?

The sound is all over the place at that venue. The band was solid overall. I have seen Modest Mouse a bunch. They have been one of my favorite bands for 16-17 years. This show had the worst mix I have ever heard at a Modest Mouse show. I can see how it would sound awful recording-wise. The musicianship was reallly solid though. He complained about the monitors a few times. 

Why is it surprising Brand New opened for Modest Mouse? Modest Mouse is WAY bigger. 

Nah, just surprising to see Brand New and Modest Mouse playing together, I guess...and the fact that Brand New hasn't released ANYTHING at fucking all in nearly 7 fucking years.

Haha, ahhh. I got ya. , I know Jesse Lacey is a huge Modest Mouse fan. Musically it is pretty random. I will probably only see Modest Mouse again if they come through Boston (Pavilion or Orpheum). 

Anyone listening to the new The Avalanches album? It is pretty solid. The last album was damn near perfect, so it is hard to compete (especially after all these years).

I like the new PUP album. Really fun pop-punk. 

Other than that, I need to listen to the new stuff from Blood Orange, Overhead the Albatross (post-rock), and Schoolboy Q.  

Going to the Brand New/MM show in San Diego in 2 weeks... not excited about the venue, and Brand New is the headliner (I prefer MM), but it worked better with my schedule than the LA date and I will be going with my sisters.

The new single from Justice is fun, not a lot of substance but it's coo. I like the new EP from Disclosure as well, the track with Al Green is a great summer jam.

Might go see Nas fo free on Saturday. Not sure if I want to wait 3hrs in line before doors and another 2 more before he goes on. He was excellent at Coachella a couple years back, though. 

surprised that Brand New would play in front of Modest Mouse.

I refuse to download anything not on iTunes, really, so bummer I can't download Chance the Rapper right now, but I enjoy this song and have tried mimicking his dance move at the 36-second mark with people at my work...

new Against Me! ...

I guess My Chemical Romance MIGHT be coming back in September-ish too. THey had a vague video clip yesterday. That band surprises me (ditto with Gerard Way). I get the feeling I might hate them, but they release some genuinely awesome stuff. But people blindly dislike them.

It's crazy how bad Against ME! has become... I adored these guys circa their 2nd/3rd albums and New Wave had some solid tracks, just they went to complete shit with White Crosses and have just stayed terrible ever since.

It's also crazy to me how insanely successful a band like Bloc Party is... brilliant first album and hot garbage ever since. And they're even worse live. How are they so popular still?

I still dig Against Me! fine...their last album was praised, mainly because of the transgender issues, in ways they would not be noticed probably otherwise. 
I enjoy them...but it always disappoints me when bands lose members. It just isn't the same. They're down to 2 original members.

I need to get Shane to post on here, because I'm digging some hip-hop this year.
I didn't care for Kendrick Lamar at all.

the live version is funny: performs like he is on cocaine

^I don't think this is a freestyle...but I heard it mentioned on the Ringer podcast between Andy Greenwald/Chris Ryan as one of their favorite things of the year. I wouldn't go that far, but I enjoy it.

I prefer Desiigner's shit to the other new weirdo kids like Yachty, Uzi Vert, Kodak and Savage. I'd put him somewhere between RHQ and Young Thug (Thugger is on top).

Seems like a good kid, and he's not bad, but he sounds like literally every other 20-year old rapper biting Future's sound. People can say hip-hop has always had a uniform sound on the radio but Big Pun and DMX didn't get famous literally mimmicking JAY Z's voice. Plus, the fake southern accent is so cringeworthy from a Brooklyn dude. I think GOOD Music is a good fit for him and the interludes on his tape would suggest he has a better ear for music than most trap rappers, but until he shows he can do something outside of this sound, I'll stick with the original.

On to other shit: Kanye and Q have the best rap releases this year, imo.  I usually hate long albums but they both killed it. Everyone keeps telling me YG outdid his last album but I haven't checked it yet. I'm incredibly excited for Isaiah Rashad's album next month.

I love the R&B/pop shit I've heard this year. Anderson Paak, gallant, Nao, dvsn, Tory Lanez, Beyonce, Rihanna all killed it. I'm late to Bryson Tiller and Hiatus Koyote's releases from last year but they're great. I still have to give James Blake, JMSN and Frank Ocean proper listens. Still waiting on a proper release from Moses Sumney.

As for bands, it's probably been Thrice, Western Settings, Run River North, Radiohead, and Deftones for me so far.

Edited by Shane

Yeah I agree with those 2 for best rap albums I would put Anderson .Paak right up there, but I guess it is more R&B. I am digging what I have heard from the Frank Ocean album. James Blake is too long but has some awesome songs. I like the Chance album too, but I like the last mixtape more over-all. The BJ the Chicago kid album has some good songs. I have been meaning to check out that Blood Orage album too.

Other new albums I have checked out:

65 Days of Static: No Man's Sky Soundtrack
Blind Pilot - And Then Like Lions
Angel Olsen - My Woman
Overhead, The Albatross - Learning TO Growl

Edited by donwayneleach

I just bought tickets to Bon Iver in New York City. So fucking pumped. Love the new songs so far. Also, I am going to Explosions In The Sky tonight, Sturgill Simpson in October, and Local Natives in October (Not big on the new album though). Good stuff!

^I was thinking of going to see Bon Iver in NYC but those shows are mid-week. Ditto for Louis CK's Madison Square show being December 14th (a Wednesday). I don't know if I could get someone to go on a Thursday or Friday, even for Louis CK alone. 'Hamilton' tickets are impossible to get, but I figure I could get to see 'Oh, Hello' for sure though.

should be solid shows though. I'm not big on Sturgill's voice, even if non-country people are into him. Just not my thing.

need to give more of Against Me! a chance; what I've heard of new Beach Slang is good.

------------------
I got tickets for Marc Maron this Saturday 4 seats away at 7 PM...show was announced less than a month before show, so I figured no way something would be announced that could go up against it. WRONG! the VERY next day, Brian Fallon announces a show directly across the street. Cool. Maybe I can skip the opening act (Ryan Bingham) and go to both shows. WRONG! Show starts at 5 fucking 30! On a Saturday night! Because the Royale turns into a nightclub afterwards. Fucking hell. Fuck me.

Edited by Cassidy

haha that sucks. Royale is lame like that, but the sound there is solid.

I am going to Bon Iver on Saturday 12/10 at the Hammerstein in NYC. There is a Friday date as well. I may get a ticket to that too if they are available and I can get the day off.  Hopefully he comes to Boston on the tour too. I would easily go to 2-4 shows on the tour. Expensive but he is one of the best live acts ever. I have only seen him like 3 times so far, but every show is unreal. 

Edited by donwayneleach

So yeah...

Bon Iver is probably the album of the year so far. 34 minutes of gold. Love every song. I cannot wait for NYC. 

Also, Hiss Golden Messenger just released a new album and it is fantastic. Americana, Southern Rock, Folk, 60-70s rock influence.

Edited by donwayneleach

This only has 1200 views in 10 weeks, you fucking hipsters.

(If you like Muse.)

A few of my favorites of the year have come out just recently.

John K. Samson (The Weakerthans) - Winter Wheat: This album is just so good. He said himself it is pretty much just a new Weakerthans album. I missed this guy. New Virtue The Cat songs to break your heart. 
Conor Oberst - Ruminations: Stripped down and raw. Just guitar, piano, and harmonica. Some amazing lyrics. 
Tom Brosseau - North Dakota Impressions: Man this guy can pump out great albums. Sean Watkins produced and played on it. I think Grass Punks is still my favorite of the trilogy. 

Terrace Martin - Velvet Portraits

Curly Martin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO10m-t0jNI

This is just a weird album that is a mix of jazz, soul, hip hop, and pop (more former than latter). I think Martin has produced for Kendrick Lamar because I'm pretty sure this specific song is the beat to some Kendrick song. And Thundercat plays on this song. Anyway, pretty smooth album if that's your thing. I love the vibes.

The Avalanches - Wildflower

Kaleidoscopic Lovers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y72DwHpoVx4

Holy fuck. This album actually fucking dropped. No way. Ok, so first thought was "be careful what you wish for", because I was not digging their first single, Frankie Sinatra, at all. On top of that, news of all the collabs between other artists... I just wanted an album of nothing but thousands of ridiculous samples. But when I finally got to dig into the album, I fell in love. The vibes are so perfect. Everything just blends that I can't tell if it is a sample or a recording for the album and, frankly, I don't really care. Even Frankie Sinatra has grown on me (even though it's the worst on the album) -- the Beatles' 'Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite' sample does it for me... In fact, I also love how smoothly the Come Together cover sample works in The Noisy Eater.

But anyway, Kaleidoscopic Lovers is probably my favourite song on the album. 

Kendrick Lamar - Untitled/Unmastered

Untitled 03 (Live from Colbert Report) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM6VCk3iadA

Kendrick Lamar had probably my favourite album of 2015, and for the first half of the year I thought he may have my favourite album of 2016 too. So many good tracks. I don't really have much else to say. If you haven't heard Kendrick and like rap, or consider yourself a Tupac fan, you should really listen to Pimp a Butterfly. If you do, you've probably heard this album. If you liked TPAB and haven't heard this, what the hell are you doing?

Thrice - To Be Everywhere is to Be Nowhere

Death from Above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TiDTE1UyM0

Yeah. Shit. It's Thrice. Everyone has their opinion on this band by now, and their albums will always be decisive. I like it. I've never hated any album this band has put out.

Mild High Club - Skiptracing

Homage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGDhgITetc

I found this band going through Stone's Throw's recent releases (probably my favourite label ever), and this is a great 60's/70's LA lo-fi sound that you would expect from a band on an alternative hip-hop label. Everything sounds smoky, and the melodies are catchy. Not too shabby. I would say if you liked what the Beatles were doing in the second half of their career, you may like this. But I tend to relate everything back to the Beatles because they're cool as fuck.

NOFX - First Ditch Effort

It Ain't Lonely at the Bottom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgj-Yw0xHsY

No. It doesn't seem right that an overdrunk band of 50-somethings (one of whom has a serious drug problem) who write the same songs over and over again should still be writing good albums. But as much as I thought I would hate this album going into it, here we are... Also weird is NOFX writing my favourite book of 2016, and playing the tightest show I've seen in 2016. What a weird fucking year.

John K. Samson - Winter Wheat

Carrie Ends the Call: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO6d_2D32c8

Fuck. Thanks to donwayneleach for pointing this one out to me. Everything he said is spot on. This is the next Weakerthans album by every measure other than name. Also new Virtute song is a heartbreaker. The whole album breaks my heart actually. Beautiful.

The Olympians - The Olympians

Neptune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xBpYKoTK2c

Instrumental soul. It's good. I don't think I can really add anything else. It's a concept album. Not that it really matters for an instrumental album. It's good fun.

Savoy Motel - Savoy Motel

Souvenir Rock Shop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNuFQYBaxA

Another band that emulates classic rock, down to their music videos. It's completely mindless, but it grows on you and ends up fun. It's the type of music that, if somebody played it in their car I would hate it, but because I found it myself and gave it a bit of a listen I ended up enjoying it. Doctor Cook is the perfect example of a song I hated and it just grew on me. That chorus... Do do do do-do doo.

NxWorries - Yes Lawd!

Scared Money: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX6SZZweuOg

KnxSwledge is a beat producer who released this sick album last year called Hud Dreams. It kind of reminded of some J Dilla stuff (but, with the shitty Beatles comparisons... I suck at making comparisons). Anyway, NxWorries is him teaming up with a singer and releasing this. Good hip hop vibes, good vocals, good shit.

Norah Jones - Day Breaks

Peace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds_DyUcgnmg

This album is great and I'll fight anybody who says otherwise. Norah Jones with that smooth fucking voice mixed with smoky new york club jazz. Gets me in the seasonal mood.

Animals as Leaders - The Madness of Many

The Brain Dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mst4a7ZEF28

My friends at work aren't fans of this album. But I am. That's all I can think of saying actually.

Need More Time:

Dillinger Escape Plan - Disassociation: I like what I heard from this album, but I really have no desire to go back to this one for some reason. Not feeling the vibe at all.

A Tribe Called Quest - We Got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service

Bruno Mars - 24K Magic: I love everything 80s so pretty sure I'm going to end up loving this one.

Kanye West - The Life of Pablo: Man Kanye's albums are too fucking long. I'll get to this one day. For what it's worth I really enjoy Ultralight Beam

Joe Hawley - Joe Hawley: Tally Hall are one of the best bands ever, and some of the band members have gone on to great things (Rob Cantor's Shia Lebouf song for instance). Joe Hawley's last album was so fucking good and weird that I think I had 500 hits on Last.fm from that album alone. It's not on spotify yet though, but when it is...

Mr. T Experience - Kong Dork Approximately. The last time this band released an album was in 2004. Frank Portman went on to become a famous YA author (whose novel was to be adapted to a movie by Will Farrell's Dirty Sanchez Productions), and this year released this album as a accompaniment to his novel of the same name. Not on Spotify...