Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Benoit

My band's new music

15 posts in this topic

Sup five people who read this forum, my band (just me and two friends) are releasing an EP sometime soon (still waiting on the rest of the finished tracks, we're releasing this entire thing ourselves).  We went into the studio a while ago with Ace Enders from Early November/I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody's Business to put out something for fun.  We put up the first song from the EP here, if you listen let me know what you think, thanks!  https://ambitionca.bandcamp.com/album/volta

So this is why we've been spending less time together?  :(

I could hear this playing today in PacSun or Six Flags.  It's fun.  I don't love the vocals and they're excessive in a few places, but a killer start for sure.

Haha we actually recorded this back in August...he's been slow getting us the tracks (understandable to a point, he's still touring and such).  

I don't know why but the PacSun/Six Flags comment is hilarious to me.  Thanks for listening dog!

From an audio quality standpoint, this sounds really good. I've been messing around with home recording the past year, and can only dream about any of my stuff turning out like this. If you don't mind me asking, what did you guys have to pay for studio time, mixing and mastering?

Some friends of mine just recorded an EP at the studio the drummer from This Will Destroy You owns, and they had to pay out the ass. 

I can't find the emails with the price negotiations, and I didn't pay a bulk of it (our drummer really wanted to record with Ace so he put up a majority of the cost), but it was most definitely in the pay out the ass territory haha.  

It was worth it in the end just for the experience for us, we all were TEN fans growing up, we got to fly across the country for a week to do this, and Ace was a really cool guy who had good advice and has been doing a good job with our songs.  We did this for ourselves over anything really, we aren't shopping it at all or have any immediate plans to play shows or anything like that, so we wanted to get a full, really good experience so the extra money was fine.  We have enough material for a full length, but the cost (and of course time, taking off to do this for work was a pain enough as it was) shortened it to an EP for sure, but this way we were able to knock out the songs we really believe in too.

So... it was definitely expensive, more than I expected when we first started talking about doing this, but I'm glad we did. 

Good to know. I play weird fuzzed out garage psych, so there's charm in the mistakes and shitty quality. I think you guys definitely made the right choice getting it done professionally. I'll be sure and buy a copy once the whole thing is out. 

I hear you on the different quality and recording styles for different music genres my dude!  Thanks for the kind words and talking with me.  Do you have any recorded stuff (either yours or home recordings you've done) that I could check out?

I dig it man, but where's the rest? Still just the one track?

Thank you.... Ace left for tour before finishing the rest of our songs :(