9thwonder

MLB

2,069 posts in this topic

I haven't read the whole leak yet, but I read the Deadspin synopsis. I can also believe the claims that some of it was fabricated because I'd heard a lot of these scenarios before... or else the initial sources were simply very good. ย It doesn't matter either way -- There's nothing wrong with asking for the moon initially and the only real asshole revealed is the Yankees organization for wanting to dump Ichiro. ย 

A fan dork decided to come out of the stands yesterday after a Corpus Christi player was HBP.ย 

ย 

r3jmvWd.gif

ย 

6U putoutย 

Jesus Christ this Brady Aiken thing is a disaster. ย I haven't been plugged into the TV media over it, so I'm not sure what ESPN & MLBN have said, but...

ย 

I hope the Astros weren't just screwing around with this kid. ย I don't think they were, but they're also tied up in talking about a medical issue that wasn't already knowledge before the draft, especially since there is money tied to it. ย I'm sure the anti-Astros side is all over the place, so here was my "devil's advocate" reaction. ย Few pitchers would ever submit to a pre-draft physical, but it's common to have contracts agreed to "pending physical." ย I understand that the San Diego paper article about this was basically a PR feed / Astros smear campaign from his parents. ย His "advisor", who is certainly acting as an agent after commenting today that he had multiple discussions with the Astros, suggested that somehow the Astros broke rules. ย They haven't. ย And what if the family knew that something was weird in his arm? ย Or what if they didn't? ย That doesn't really matter, but the lack of a full UCL/UCL on the brink could explain how his velocity kept ticking upward and he was 97ish in his final starts. ย (Looser arm action with more whip.) ย And one of the other positives about him before the draft -- a comparably light work load -- suddenly becomes a question of, "Did they know something?" rather than, "Oh awesome -- His risk of injury should be much lower because he wasn't burnt out as a kid."

ย 

He's potentially ruined his NCAA eligibility with the agent/advisor dude being so in the mix. ย He could pitch at a JC and enter the draft again next year. ย And the Astros are said to have ultimately offered $5MM. ย Those same Astros will now have the 2nd overall pick and their usual one for placement in the top 4-5. ย Brady Aiken would probably have to go 1-1 overall again to walk away with $5MM... a year later in his life.

ย 

And I'm pissed about missing Jacob Nix and also upset for him being a victim tied to this. ย  ย ย 

Seems weird to agree to a bonus before you check out his elbow. ย Also kind of shitty to not sign another player simply because another draft pick wouldn't accept a lower bonus. ย But who knows what's going on. ย Intrigued to see what the MLBPA does.

Edited by Chris Benoit

So does Houston get the 2nd pick next year as well as wherever they land?ย  So potentially two top 3 picks?

ย 

Yes. ย With the Rangers at 1-1. ;)

ย 

Seems weird to agree to a bonus before you check out his elbow. ย Also kind of shitty to not sign another player simply because another draft pick wouldn't accept a lower bonus. ย But who knows what's going on. ย Intrigued to see what the MLBPA does.

ย 

They don't have the money to sign a 5th rounder @ $1.5MM (>$1.1MM over his slot) because they lost Aiken's 1-1 pool allocation. ย (They could have still signed him and lose two 1st round draft picks for exceeding the bonus pool.) ย Also, contracts and even trades "pending physical" are ubiquitous in professional sports. ย Obviously, any amateur pitcher has absolutely nothing to gain from a physical or really even a private workout before a draft. ย After the draft takes place, there is the urgency to get a framework agreement in place -- particularly amongst the top picks where teams stand to reallocate a portion of that slot's allowance -- so that players taken later who will need well above slot money to sign have the money to think about before enrolling in summer school. ย And quite frankly, with the Astros at 1-1, I would imagine they have an agreed number before they even made the pick because that will dictate how the remainder of the draft is handled. ย They wouldn't have taken Nix without knowing his ballpark bribe and having a number with Aiken. ย I kinda stopped feeling sorry for Nix, though. ย He had a "number" that had been communicated with teams, but he wasn't projected nearly as highly as his number suggested. ย (His best grade was early 3rd, which was $570K had the Astros taken him at 3-1.) ย He played the system and he lost.

ย 

I'll reiterate that Aiken is really dumb for passing up even $5MM at his age, though I respect his willingness to stand his ground. ย No one looks good after all of this. ย The Astros FO already has a fermenting image problem. ย 

Jarred Cosart is represented by the same agent who "advised" Brady Aiken and represents Jacob Nix (the "other guy"). ย Perhaps it's nothing; Perhaps it's worth noting.

ย 

BuIB_CfIIAAPR8r.png

Well there's an organizational hitting philosophy for you.

It's going to be weird having the 1st overrall pick.ย  Will this mean the Rangers can't sign a premiere free agent because they'd lose their draft pick?ย  Or are draft picks protected from that if they're high enough?

It's going to be weird having the 1st overrall pick.ย  Will this mean the Rangers can't sign a premiere free agent because they'd lose their draft pick?ย  Or are draft picks protected from that if they're high enough?

ย 

The early ones -- I believe top 10 -- are protected and would default to the next available pick. ย 

ย 

It's going to be weird not having the 1st overall pick.

Edited by DK.

I look forward to playing you guys in the World Series in 3-5 years, DK.

Kris "Based God" Bryant is too good to fail *knocks on wood*

Edited by Oceanic

I look forward to playing you guys in the World Series in 3-5 years, DK.

Kris "Based God" Bryant is too good to fail *knocks on wood*

ย 

Sweet! ย I'm planning on making my debut with the big club in late 2016.

ย 

I wish we had Kris Bryant.

So the Blue Jays have been owned by Rogers Communications -- a massive telecom company that focuses particularly in wifi & internet connectivity -- since 2000. ย In 2004, Rogers purchased the SkyDome and renamed it the Rogers Centre.

ย 

The Rogers Centre is now finally getting wifi in 2015. ย http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2015/2/9/7999979/this-wi-fi-article-would-have-been-a-perfect-place-to-use-the-fi-ligature

Edited by DK.

This is still a sport! ย