Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cassidy

the Gaslight Anthem

281 posts in this topic

dear posters

death cab for cutie has become indie nickleback. act accordingly. (not that death cab is bad, but come on, they don't sound radically different much anymore.)

also, rise against is "punk rock" nickleback.

^huh?

Nickelback is influenced by Bruce?

Lame joke, but that's typical.

I'd say don't take anything Zac takes seriously.

He's either a troll that takes nothing seriously or it's the musings of a guy that smears shit on walls.

Just put him on Ignore like I have for the last 3-5 years I've posted on here.

other bands that try to sound like Bruce: Against Me!; the Killers; Hold Steady; Arcade Fire; Lucero; Foo Fighters

I like all these bands.

Nobody comes close to doing it better than the Gaslight Anthem and they're the band that Bruce & gang have backed the hardest.

I don't think the other guys nail the spirit/romanticism of Bruce as well as the Gaslight Anthem does only all the time.

lol @ gaslight anthem being better than arcade fire or foo fighters or even the killers (at least the killers have a few cool singles)

You're an idiot. He was saying they're better at utilizing their Springsteen influence. Read slower next time.

I don't get why this band is so polarizing. I honestly only meet people who love em or hate em. My girl absolutely DESPISES them and every time I bring them up she freaks out. Her reasoning? She saw them at a show and they stunk. She tried to give them a second chance and they were boring. Fair enough. I happen to really enjoy them. As a Springsteen fan, the obvious influence was what struck me first, but they aren't only that to me. They've become a band that can be to "my" generation what Bruce was to my parents, aunts and uncles, etc. The songs are quick and catchy, Fallon's voice is distinctive, and his lyrics have that Springsteen, almost beatnik feel to them, which I enjoy. They're a young band but they make me nostalgic. Simple as that. They're not the greatest band of their time or the best band going, but their rise to notoriety has been impressive.

Nickelback? I'm sorry, but that comparison is outrageous. Even if you don't like TGA, comparing them to what amounts to auditory diarrhea is criminal.

so because they rip off springsteen they are the springsteen of our generation? except they suck.... ok....

wtf does that even mean....

thats like saying conor oberst is the bob dylan of our times lol

So...any band with a noticeable influence is a rip off?

Members of Black Sabbath, including Ozzy, have been very vocal about their Beatles influence. Is Sabbath a rip off? You're such a tool. I don't know why people still react to your trolling, including myself.

The "except they suck" part sinks your argument too, by the way, your highness.

Lol. Dumbass.

I'd buy the comparison that The Tallest Man on Earth is our generations Bob Dylan.

Nobody can compare to Bob Dylan though.

Speaking of Conor Oberst, what happened to Desaparecidos? That band was the only good thing that guy ever did.

So...any band with a noticeable influence is a rip off?

Members of Black Sabbath, including Ozzy, have been very vocal about their Beatles influence. Is Sabbath a rip off? You're such a tool. I don't know why people still react to your trolling, including myself.

The "except they suck" part sinks your argument too, by the way, your highness.

Lol. Dumbass.

because black sabbath and ozzy sound a lot like the beatles....

could you get any more retarded? seriously? what a dumb comparison

^we get it.

You don't like this band.

You have an irrational hate for them based on one spin you gave them 3 years ago.

I didn't like the 59 Sound when I first listened to it, then I went to their earlier stuff and it all connected.

There's worse bands to shit on out there

But people don't on here: they just stay in threads with bands they like.

The only criticism you'll read is from people that are fans of those bands or in End-of-Year lists when you state how disappointed you were in something or couldn't get into it. Fine.

But you're a trolling dick and that's all you intend to do, so mission accomplished.

Nobody can tell when you're being sincere about this or purposely being a troll.

So I'll just break it down for anybody that tries to rip on the Gaslight Anthem for being a 'rip-off' band.

the thing is, while Black Sabbath-Beatles might not be the most logical comparison to make on the surface, there's this:

-Thrice-you don't need me to tell you that you could tear apart songs dissecting what bands they are influenced by (and will tell you so), but it shouldn't be held against them.

-Justin Timberlake-Michael Jackson

-Kings of Leon -the Band; U2

-Conor Oberst, Tallest Man on Earth, Josh Ritter -Bob Dylan (Conor wants to be Bob Dylan in attitude; Tallest Man & Josh Ritter sound a bit like him)

-Beatles -Harry Nilsson; BB King

-Doomriders -Motorhead

-Elvis Presley -BB King

-Brand New-the Smiths; Modest Mouse

It's too easy.

You can pick apart anybody of being derivative of something.

And you'd be right because it's true.

But it also gets pretty fucking lame to be an elitist dick about it when the bands you like aren't exactly originals either.

And the Gaslight Anthem decided pretty early on that they were going to be a 'tribute' band, in a way, and that they were going to wear their influences on their sleeves (in their lyrics, everything) so that their fans can get into the stuff that they liked and that they were just going to be a celebration of rock'n'roll.

If anybody should have a problem with that who would have raised it, it would be Bruce Springsteen. But he had none and he & his guys obviously dig & back what they've been doing.

Went through this before, but lyrics or tip of the cap has been paid to these bands directly in songs/lyrics in very obvious ways

Bands paid tribute by very overtly:

Beatles; Bob Dylan; Bob Seger; Bruce; Buddy Holly; the Clash; Counting Crows; Elvis Presley; Jeff Buckley; Leonard Cohen; Lifetime; Miles Davis; Otis Redding; Paul Simon; Pearl Jam; the Pogues; the Replacements; Rolling Stones; Sam Cooke; Social Distortion; Tom Petty; Tom Waits; Wilco; Wilson Pickett

Either you're going to hate that & be petty about it and not get what they're doing, or you're going to love it.

because black sabbath and ozzy sound a lot like the beatles....

could you get any more retarded? seriously? what a dumb comparison

Just because you're influenced by another band doesn't mean you sound like them. We got it dude. Find another thread to troll.

I actually have to agree with Zac on this one. I hate this band. I saw them play live when Thrice was supporting Rise Against, and I thought it sounded like pretty generic punk music from a decade ago.

I will not, however, tell you guys that you're all idiots for liking them. Maybe I just don't get it.

^I'd say give them a 2nd chance

sometimes when you're the opener on a tour, you're kind of handicapped & thrown to the wolves a bit.

Especially when it's a bill with 4 bands (Alkaline Trio, Rise Against, Thrice)

When they headlined last August, they were much better than I thought they would be live and very tight.

Even a couple friends that had never listened to them at the show before were blown away.

I've seen many bands struggle to get their way through being the opener to a small crowd that isn't packed yet and it feels dead, doesn't know who they are, the sound/lighting isn't as great for them, and they get heckled maybe a bit as custom.

I remember seeing Thrice as the co-headliner in Boston on the Thursday/Coheed tour and seeing them be heckled by douchebags.

Thrice (co-headliner) during the Honda Civic Tour with Dashboard. Man, they were great but that crowd was Dashboard fans who did not get them.

These Arms Are Snakes (opner) be fucked with a bit during the Mastodon/Against Me!/Cursive tour.

Loved Ones (opener) during NoFx/Lawrence Arms tour.

You know Cassidy, I was thinking today that I really don't like their Springsteen covers. I normally enjoy covers, but for some reason I can't stand Springsteen covers. TGA are not the exception. I'd much rather hear their own shit. As for their live collaborations with Bruce, fuck yes. Seeing Bruce play with TGA or seeing Fallon perform with Bruce is always something special for me.

^what do you mean?

As a band they haven't covered Bruce I don't think.

Except for Brian Fallon doing solo acoustic stuff covering "Backstreets" (compilation for Bruce) and "Atlantic City" really

Off the top of my head, as a band, they've covered live:

-Pearl Jam's "State of Love and Trust"

-Tom Petty's "Refugee" & "American Girl"

-Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise "Once Upon a Time" (recorded b-side for the 59 Sound)

-Rolling Stone's "Tumbling Dice" (recorded b-side for American Slang)

-the Band's "the Weight" (youtube version w/ Thrice)

-Hot Water Music's "Trusty Chords"

They've covered Lou Reed a couple of times, can't recall what.

I've heard them do rendition/medleys of Arthur Conley's "Sweet Soul Music", Jimmy Ruffin's "What Becomes of the Broken-Hearted", Tom Waits' "Downtown Train", Tegan and Sara's "Nineteen", and Bruce's "Racing in the Street" get thrown into their songs very briefly with a line from a lyric or something before songs or during the bridge.

Phil tried getting me into Frank Turner's cover of Bruce, but it was just okay.

Tegan and Sara did a live cover of "Dancing in the Dark" that was pretty solid though. It was different coming from them.

I should have been more specific. I was tired earlier haha. Yea, I remember seeing this and being really stoked to hear it, considering Backstreets may be my favorite Springsteen song. I was pretty bored throughout.

I've yet to hear the Racing in the Streets piece thrown into their songs. I LOVE that song. I'll do a youtube search.

I like the way they toss T and S into their shows. I think they collaborated with The Loved Ones and played Call it Off once. Really cool.

Speaking of Tegan and Sara, I found this via Shane:

Very cool. Love anything they're attached to. This turned me onto Theophilus London too.

Didn't Thrice cover Trusty Chords as well? All this talk only serves to further the notion that I need to see this band live in New Jersey. I imagine you've (Cassidy) seen them a number of times.

Also, Hangin Out on E Street is pretty sweet. Some highlights:

Don't care much for Dancing in the Dark as a song, but I dig the Ted Leo cover and the Tegan and Sara version. Ah. Tegan and Sara. They love Bruce, hard liquor, and play music. Would that they were straight :(

Yeah, the "Backstreets" cover didn't do anything for me.

Sadly, I've only seen Gaslight once.

I missed them on the Thrice/Gaslight tour in my hometown of Worcester (was away in Boston...and I hadn't listened to Gaslight yet)

And a solo show in Cambridge in January 2009 when I was back home for winter intersession.

And again when they came back and I was away. Bad timing.

On their Bonnarroo 2010 set, during the opening of "Old White Lincoln" he throws in Bruce's "Racing in the Street" very briefly while killing time & at the bridge, he goes with Tegan and Sara's "Nineteen" which he's done a bit.

You can find the covers Gaslight has done on youtube very easily.

They've done Fake Problems' "Songs for Teenagers" as an official recording to help them out (recorded before that album came out). Brian came out onstage with them and covered Blink-182's "Damnit"

I'm sure there's others with the guys from Bouncing Souls, Social D, and Chuck Ragan out there (Ragan came out to help out Gaslight for '59 Sound' I think too).

Ho-ly fucking shit, the first single "Behold the Hurricane" for the Horrible Crowes sounds fucking fantastic (I'm pretty sure this will be the first single)

You can stream the full song off of the link

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/gaslight-anthem-singer-goes-cinematic-with-horrible-crowes-20110713

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0DZqNpSQH4&feature=player_embedded

Based off of the brief clip of the other song, I expected it to be more laid back and chill.

I guess this new song by them has been floating around for months + they have only been playing on their international tours.

"Biloxi Parish"

Sucks that we probably won't have a recorded version or anything like it for a year or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s_0bSMNPu4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIDEDpszNA&feature=related

^the recording/video quality on the 2nd is better