Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cassidy

the Gaslight Anthem

281 posts in this topic

you can stream the entire album right here

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-album-stream-horrible-crowes-cinematic-debut-elsie-20110901

Halfway through + haven't really digged it too much.

It's definitely a side project + very experimental & can see it not jiving it with his Gaslight bandmates.

Definitely VERY different in the way that Brian Fallon described ('Behold the Hurricane' sounded like something that could be a Gaslight Anthem song so it's misleading as hell)

Can definitely see the influence of the Afghan Whigs + other things that he was going for.

okay, this album is really growing on me after multiple listens: pretty strong from front-to-back and very different from track to track.

Alternative Press gave it 4 and a half stars...and said it's better than the Gaslight Anthem has done recently (that's going a bit too far: I really like American Slang but it wasn't as memorable as the 59 Sound...they were doing something different & they already said they intend to kind of back to the way they were on the 59 Sound)

Rolling Stone: 3 and a half stars

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/elsie-20110906

Gaslight Anthem signs with Mercury Records (new record in 2012)

http://www.islanddefjam.com/artists/default.aspx?labelID=77

^if you look at the other artists (other than Noel Gallagher; Duffy) it's a weird home for them.

They're a division of Island Def Jam.

Interesting to see how that will work out for them

Brian Fallon doing 'the 59 Sound' acoustic with Dave Hause, Dan Adriano, and Chuck Ragan on the Revival Tour

Horrible Crowes covering Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream"

Horrible Crowes-"Cherry Blossoms" backstage

Brian Fallon

I'm about to leave for the Sept/Oct Revival tour on Thursday night. I always get the jitters before we leave for a tour after a long time off. It used to not bother me when we toured ever waking second of the year, because it was normal. Now, I have a home and a dog and I see my friends and it's weird to have to pack up and leave all the time. I know now why most people can't make it in a band, it's not for lack of talent, it's because not a lot of people can tough out the touring that it takes to survive and keep your band in the public eye. It takes a desire beyond the norm to do this kind of thing all the time. You have to have an unending desire to share art. That's what this is about. It's easier when you have nothing, but it's also harder to have nothing.

Tomorrow I get to go see PJ20 in the theatre, one night only. So awesome. Lord willing, I'll be writing songs on the Revival Tour and we should start getting together and rehearsing and making demos when I get back. I'm fixated on the Pearl Jam songs "Go, Animal, and The Fixer."

I certainly hope I can rope some of that vibe into our new songs. I'd like to have a record that had that kind of ferocity. I'm also currently obsessed with the Foo Fighters songs "One by One, the Pretender, and Times Like These." That would be six songs to a fantastic half of a record.

I know one thing, we're looking into how to carry on our sound, how to stay exciting, how to improve, how not to loose the intensity because we're older. I feel like we have more to prove now than when we first put out Sink or Swim. We've been given a gift, now we have to deserve it.

Stay Hungry, Stay Inspired. Here comes the future.

- Be good.

Brian

http://cassettesinthemailbox.blogspot.com/

He's kind of all over the map with what he wants to do with new material for Gaslight in interviews and in blog posts.

One time it was Dire Straits, another time it was Tom Petty, and another it was going back to the way things sounded in THE 59 SOUND.

Revival Tour EP w/ Dan Adriano (Alk Trio); Chuck Ragan (Hot Water Music); Dave Hause (Loved Ones)

Gaslight released an iTunes exclusive...

-the Who-"Baba O'Riley" (there's a raw live version @ Carnegie Hall that sounds bad ass/dead on)

-Pearl Jam-"State of Love & Trust" (a go-to song for them live that they kill)

-Tom Petty-"Refugee" (play this live sometimes)

-the Animals-"House of the Rising Son" (play as an interlude to songs sometimes)

"Our Fathers Sons"-an original that was a b-side from the 59 Sound that was never really released

+ a version of "Boxer" and "Navesink Banks" & a 12-minute interview

shitty quality, but Bruce Springsteen plays with Gaslight again

this time in Jersey and for the song "American Slang"

Gaslight's preparing to go into the studio and have basically finished up what the new songs are going to be.

They came out with "Biloxi Parish" in February and the song is awesome...can't wait for them to record that.

cover of "Changing of the Guards" off for Bob Dylan's CHIMES OF FREEDOM

^they kill it.

Ke$ha's cover of "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" is surprisingly awesome (You can hear her sobbing throughout the song)

But this is for Thrice fans...

^Brian talks about the Beatles while playing a show in Boston (Northeastern)

then that talk leads into Thrice and joking/bashing Dustin for breaking up the band over having kids after releasing 'the best record ever'

and then rambling on some more about dogfighting

EDIT:

Forgot to mention: they just started recording down in Nashville for their new record a couple days ago.

Edited by Cassidy

yeah, Bob Dylan, Chuck Ragan, and the Tallest Man on Earth can't sing either too I guess

I don't want to listen to bands that sound like Jeff Buckley.

Because, for the most part, those bands suck and don't move/do anything for me.

Fallon has my favorite voice out there today

I like guys that sound kind of rugged and Fallon has that, but not as much as Ragan/Ben Nichols of Lucero.

I love Deftones' Chino Moreno and Kings of Leon's Caleb Followill, but there's people on here that hate both.

Moreno went through a phase in 2005-ish where he screamed like a pig...and Followill on Because of the Times went through a banshee type scream that could put people off.

full-page in the new Rolling Stone (w/ Bruce on the cover)

they've finished recoridng with Brendan O'Brien (Pearl Jam; Bruce; Rage Against the Machine)

You can tell that there's huge expectations for this album among their peers that they love (Eddie Vedder; Bruce) who are well-aware of them...and that they're on a major label now.

I guess they said they're going 'to a fuller sound with shades of Tom Petty and the Byrds'.

'standout track': 'Here Comes My Man' (features 'rich vocal harmonies and chiming riffs')

'Too Much Blood' ('the heavy rocker...whose huge guitar riff evokes early Soundgarden, inspired by seeing one of Chris Cornell's recent solo acoustic shows. Says Fallon, 'I've never written a guitar riff before in my life.')

Sounds like they're really changing things up.

I hope they record 'Biloxi Parish' because that song is way too good not to record.

That song has been floating out for over a year now.

EDIT:

gaslightANTHEMrollingSTONE.jpg

Edited by Cassidy

Have people realized Fallon can't sing yet? Or are people still lying to themselves?

(null)

I guess we're still lying to ourselves. Compared to the shows you go to, I'm shocked you'd criticize anyone (especially a good singer) for being a bad singer.

pretty fun 45 minute interview

http://vimeo.com/39788008

some parts are definitely awkward

but surprisingly funny where he rambles on so randomly

he did a live acoustic show that you can stream off of Red Bull Music Academy or whatever shortly thereafter.

Fallon admits that they intend to be big enough to play Giants Stadium

and sees no problem with going big a la his heroes (Bruce; the Clash; Pearl Jam) rather than other bands who were content staying with their crowd (Bouncing Souls)

This is the year that they're going to break out (major label debut)

first single just released...

New Jersey rockers reconnect with punk roots

Combining punk rock, folk and the spirit of Americana, New Jersey rockers the Gaslight Anthem fuel their heartfelt formula with new intensity on "45," the first single off the upcoming album Handwritten. Well-known for his referential folk-style storytelling, frontman Brian Fallon instead reflects on his own experiences and reels back his deeply embedded references.

Though the band grew their sound immensely on 2010's American Slang, Fallon wished to return to the driving punk rock that ignited earlier Gaslight Anthem work. With "45," written early in the creative process, the Gaslight Anthem knew they had the right spark. "This song felt to us like we still had something to say in this long line of rock & roll tradition," says Fallon. "It made the path clear as to what we should do next. Sometimes you just have to leave things behind . . . turn the record over." "45" will be out on iTunes May 8th, with Handwritten set for a July 24th release.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/song-exclusive-the-gaslight-anthem-45-20120430

I got tickets to see them at The Roxy in two weeks. The Roxy doesn't have a barricade and fits about 500 people. Probably the last time something like this will happen in LA with the whole band. I am a bit excited.

Tracklisting

1) ”45”

2) Handwritten

3) Here Comes My Man

4) Mulholland Drive

5) Keepsake

6) Too Much Blood

7) Howl

8) Biloxi Parish

9) Desire

10) Mae

11) National Anthem

Bonus Tracks

Blue Dahlia

Sliver

You Got Lucky

------------------------------

"Biloxi Parish" has been floating around for over a year when they played that at festivals.

That song kicks ass but they said it sticks out like a sore thumb on the album.

Track #3 "Here Comes My Man" is said to be the standout...and "Too Much Blood" was also pointed out in the Rolling Stone article

Hahahah they wrote a song called Mulholland Drive. I love how the only place they sing about, besides NJ, is LA.

they sing about NY too. weird they never sing about philly though, considering their bromance with dave hause and the older philly punks (i wouldn't be surprised if they ever lose a guitarist if dave hause would be replacement #1).

also would be super disappointed if they don't go out with two of the following: the menzingers, frank turner, cheap girls, dave hause, lucero, the sidekicks, lemuria, tigers jaw. (probably in that order of likelihood)

songs good. would like less of the dual vocals though.

Edited by Popcorn

I'd also guess that Frank Turner & Menzingers might be the most likely.

Brian threw out a lot of bands I never heard of the last couple of months that he's been listening to: those could be among them.

Hot Water Music could be a band they tour with...or just Chuck Ragan maybe doing solo acoustic shows again.

And since they're signed to a major label they could do a big tour maybe a year from now with somebody else depending on what happens since they've said in interviews they're going to be touring their asses off (they didn't really tour for AMERICAN SLANG or even promote it much).

yeah, i was SUPER disappointed with their u.s. touring for american slang. i would only have had the opportunity to see one or two shows on the same short summer tour of awkward large outdoor venues. i've only seen them twice, each time much bigger than the last. the saddest thing is, i saw them in a smaller venue last time, next time will probably be either an amphitheatre or the biggest "small" venue in philly... and last time they played a US club tour to my knowledge, the support was great... (Murder by Death and an assortment of Frank Turner, Jesse Malin, The Loved Ones, Broadway Calls, The Measure (SA), Ninja Gun... for me, The Loved Ones and Broadway Calls)

where'd he mention bands?

and ^ YES. the level of pants jizz for that...

i still haven't gotten a chance to catch the menzingers, which is unacceptable in philadelphia.

fake problems are getting a lot bigger too, that could make sense. front bottoms (front bottoms are jersey too... so are screaming females...) would make sense as a bottom of the bill deal, same with into it. over it.

i'd basically be good with any of the rising philly punk bands... except the wonder years. fuck that shit.

Edited by Popcorn

interviews and on Tumblr

http://thegaslightanthem.tumblr.com/

White Buffalo;

Red City Radio, The Menzingers, Tim Barry, Teenage Bottlerocket, Gates, and we think Joyce Manor rules.

^mentioned in a blog: how many of those bands have you heard?

Tim Barry he toured with them in 2010 with Chamberlain: not the best tourmates in my opinion

teeneage bottlerocket are low grade punknews pop-punk. the menzingers are awesome, tim barry is the former frontman of avail and chuck ragan-esque, joyce manor is one of my new favorite punk bands but would make virtually no sense in almost any venue they could play with gaslight. i sort of picture them as similar in sound to the bands playing the "ironic hipster punk" that is popular right now, except with sincerity... like they actually like punk.

this mitch clem comic kind of spells out their relationship to bands like cloud nothings to me...

20120319.jpg

I think a The Gaslight Anthem, Frank Turner/Fake Problems, The Menzingers ticket would make a lot of sense. Frank has a good audience, Fake Problems are coming off a random press surge with Songs for Teenagers hitting MTV, the Menzingers just came off the bottom of the Rise Against tour and will be familiar with how to play the shows...

The Holy Mess and Luther would make sense if they want something really small.

... i think the menzingers are on tour all summer, so a summer tour is basically impossible. (along with the souls and cheap girls)

Edited by Popcorn

Joyce Marnor plays here all the time. You're right, they would make no sense on any stage this tour will be held on. Did I miss something? I like cloud nothing's. I'd been trying to see the menzingers a couple years now and finally saw them a few weeks ago down in San Diego. They were so much better live than I had hoped and I had high hopes. Teenage Bottlerocket is about a million times better live than on record. Their energy is ridiculous. I doubt Frank Turner and Fake Problems will be support as they've toured the in the US with Gaslight before. I could actually see The Menzingers doing this tour though.