Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fellside

Sherlock (PBS)

47 posts in this topic

well, just finished season 2

real solid

I liked the 1st and 3rd episodes the best of the 3.

Love the dude that plays Moriarty

I have no idea if he is actually dead since I never read Sherlock but it seemed like there's no way both would have survived although I'm sure there's some way.

Not really a spoiler since it's over 100 years old and doesn't really answer anything, but

In the books "The Final Solution" which they reference in the episode, ends with Sherlock and Moriarty killing each other. This was mainly because Doyle was tired of writing them.

Loved the 1st and 3rd as well. I hate cliff hangers.

I feel like I'm missing the part of my brain that lets me ignore a terrible voive acting job. I thought Heath Ledger sounded terrible in Dark Knight, and this Moriarty guy was equally bad, but everyone else seems to like it.

yeah, usually HPH's opinions about movies/TV are dead wrong so anything that he says is bad tends to usually be some awesome shit.

I liked his performance: Sepinwall described it as 'herky-jerky buoyant performance'...it's definitely oft-kilter but fun.

He's fucking terrific and fun in the role: totally psychotic, funny, dangerous and unpredictable.

Maybe you just hate that it's a bit cartoonish/over-the-top, but ummmm, I don't know what you're expecting with the Joker not being over-the-top/psychotic.

Martin Freeman is definitely great as Holmes. That gets lost with Cumberpatch and Andrew Scott's acting.

At the very least, I can't imagine anyone challenging Cumberpatch as Sherlock: he's perfect.

I didn't particularly like him as Moriarty at the end of season 1. But he was really good this season.

Did anyone see that disaster of a show CBS is coming out with? They're doing Sherlock Holmes in America with Lucy Lu as "Joan Watson" and Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock. American network television can't do anything right.

I finally finished the 2nd season, it was great! I loved the 1st and 3rd episodes- I thought the Hounds of Baskerville one was really stupid, but that's only 1 out of 6 that wasn't really good.

The way all the main characters interact in this show are great. I also hope that they only do 3 more "episodes". I'm torn on whether I want more Moriarty or not though.

EDIT:

I liked this so much I watched the ending in the background at work and read up a little on a random message board. I'm going to steal someone else's post who had all of the same complaints I did:

Although I did enjoy it, there are some elements of this that were unsatisfying.

SPOILER:

1) Moriarty kicked Sherlock's arse all over London. Entirely as planned, Sherlock's reputation is now in the gutter; Sherlock didn't work out how Moriarty really did the three break-ins, or he'd have been able to get the assassins to stand down by revealing there was no code. In the original story, Moriarty wants a fight to the death because Holmes left him no other way out - here, the situation is reversed. And we don't even see Sherlock turn it round because...

2) Moriarty's suicide. WTF? As said, he's beating Sherlock hollow. He makes one slip of the tongue, enough to let Sherlock know that there is a way to call off the assassins. But that's all. He doesn't reveal the actual way to call them off, just that there is one. At first he's confident that he can keep it from Sherlock, but then he takes one deep look into his eyes, decides Sherlock is no angel, and tops himself. Really? He couldn't have tried hanging on for five minutes more? Even given that he was evidently suicidal, that abrupt surrender based on nothing seems right out of character. If Sherlock had beaten him, then yes, he might well kill himself. But as things stood, he was depressed because he thought Sherlock was ordinary. The sudden, entirely believable, realisation that Sherlock wasn't should have reinvigorated him. A new challenge! Instead he just eyeballs Sherlock and BANG! he's out of here. It's a cheat, because we don't actually see the big final struggle between Holmes and Moriarty. We're told Sherlock would win, but we're not shown it.

3) "The computer code is bogus, DUH!" I'm guessing everyone here, when the claim was first made, thought it was pretty weak writing. Of course there couldn't be computer code like that. But hey, it's a Maguffin and we don't take this too seriously. But then they switch it round - it's not weak writing, it's a cunning bluff, smartarses. Which is fine, because I don't mind using the audience's expectations against them. But it was too widely accepted in-show for that to really work. Not only does Sherlock get fooled, but so does Mycroft who is a) nobody's fool and B) in a really good position to have experts tell him this is obvious bullshit. He's got the resources to check this out, and he doesn't. It was when Mycroft showed he was taking it seriously that I decided it was a genuine Maguffin.

3b) What happened to the police investigations of the break-ins? It's all very well to fool Sherlock by offering him a clever solution, but in the 6 weeks before the trial and the 2 months till John is warned about the assassins, haven't the dull, ordinary police got involved? Hasn't Mycroft had his people trying to find out where the systems were compromised? Is there no protocol to be followed after such incidents? Apparently not. The mystery only exists because entire institutions fail to do a basic job.

4) Richard Brook, the actor. What? After all the publicity the original court case got, no-one's meant to have noticed that this guy had been on TV? Or if the whole CV was faked, wouldn't it be pretty obvious that there was no actual footage of him anywhere, not even in the programmes his CV claimed he'd been in? He's not only faked an entire career, he's also blackmailed all his supposed cast and crew members, and the archivists at every place he's ever supposedly worked. In the world of online crowd-sourcing, this wouldn't last five minutes.

I just finished watching the 2 seasons on Netflix and hot damn!

This might be one of the most satisfying shows I've seen.  I've always been a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes and easily intrigued by re-imaginings and new adaptions and this is by far one of the best. 

The three episode seasons is definitely disappointing but probably a saving grace since it keeps the show from falling into the formulaic plots that mystery/procedural shows usually find themselves in.  The show definitely has it's flaws (for example, basically everything Dodgerbolt says above is hard to disagree with) and some episodes fail (I though Hounds was an interesting/ambitious story idea but definitely the weakest of the series with weak plot points too) but I find them incredibly easy to ignore because the over-all product is just so much fun. 

I love how the allude to the original stories and bring back original cases while re-imagining them (the end of Season 2 is a perfect example).  Season 3 cant' come soon enough.

Also, a few people brought up this question, which one of the creators/writers commented on:

If Moriarty is dead/coming back in future episodes...   

Apparently, he may or may not be dead, but if they decide to bring him back, his presence will be minimal (an episode or two) since they want to explore new characters and villains from the books, and they don't want him to get worn out/over stay his welcome. 

Anybody catch the new episodes?  I'm looking for episode 2 now.  

I really enjoyed the first episode.  The chemistry between just about everybody involved is great.  

I also really like how they handled Mary Morstan (Watson's fiance).  I expected them to go the usual route, where she's appalled by Sherlock, but it was great to see just the opposite.  I just hate old tropes like girlfriend just can't stand her boyfriend/husband's best friend because obviously.  

Anyway, it was a lot of fun but, regarding the cliffhanger...

I thought it was fun how they kept toying with the audience and poked fun at the fan theories but that's assuming they answer it by the end of the season.  If not, it'll be a little less cute, but considering how faithful they've been to the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, it'd be very odd for them to not address it.

I watched the first 2 seasons last week (I've been watching a crapload of shit on Netflix lately) and I love this show. It's pretty annoying how there are only 3 episode seasons with 2 year layoffs in between, but it does lead to every episode being pretty damn good. The Hounds of Baskerville and the Asian Bank ones were the only kinda weaksauce ones, but they were still captivating all the way through. 

One of my only criticisms about this show is that Watson is kinda useless. Ya he's there to be a moral center for the show and a check on Sherlock's autistic persona, but I figured he'd be doing more kickass things by now. 

Oh and the ending to the last episode was pretty infuriating.

Moriarty was just getting really really good... and now he's gone. Dammit. In the Batman comics, you wouldn't kill off the Joker after just 6 issues ya? And here I was thinking they'd be each other's yin and yang for the entire run of the show.  

But man am I glad I just started watching now because the new season starts in just a couple weeks here in America. w00t w00t.

Great first episode to the 3rd season.

I love these, most of them are better than most movies.  I loved the poking fun at the internet bits.

I still don't understand why he'd tell everyone but John though....think they'll go back to that, or am I just missing something?

Great first episode to the 3rd season.

I love these, most of them are better than most movies.  I loved the poking fun at the internet bits.

I still don't understand why he'd tell everyone but John though....think they'll go back to that, or am I just missing something?

I thought it was to keep John safe because he'd tell everybody and wouldn't be able to hide it (even John's future wife laughed at that and said that was true)

but yeah, that didn't jive with me.

It was pretty clear that Sherlock was an ass for NOT telling John and was delusional about it.

i just finished this last night too....such a great show. 

i always fear getting bored, but it delivers every time. i love that it never really follows a set pattern. one episode could be all solving one case, and the next could just be 20 minutes of a case and the rest developing sherlock/watson. so so good.

excellent cliffhanger for next season too.

I really enjoyed the season too.  I'm really surprised by flack this season has been receiving (mostly for too much "fan service" instead of straight-up mystery solving).  While there might be some element of truth to the matter, I think it's mostly a result of people putting the show on a pedestal during its two year hiatus.  

Question, though: were any of you satisfied with the answer to season 2's cliffhanger?  

I wasn't, and I'm kind of hoping that the answer Sherlock gives isn't real, and that the real answer will be revealed next season.  I just didn't really care for the cheekiness of the way it was handled (a character comments on the flakiness of it, which is kind of cheap for show that's all about intelligence and thinking).

Also, Lars Mikkelson was great.  He was probably the most revolting character I've ever witnessed and it was done using only gestures and mannerisms.  (That's mostly thanks to the writing, but all around, CAM was well done).