Random Encounter

The Official Movie You Just Watched Thread

2,887 posts in this topic

Came out in 2009....'all except one man' aaAaaa fuck you. I wish I could lock you in a basement for 20 years like that Cleveland dude and just loop the scene 2 here Philip Seymour Hoffman gets a hand job in front of a mirror...I don't think any of the final movies that mixhail listed are going to age too well. I watched 'Guardia s' twice and didn't care for it. I didn't laugh, I should say. And I like chris pratt.

Bloodline~~~~C/C+

(Netflix: 13 episodes)

Kyle Chanlder (Friday Night Lights) stars alongside Linda Cardellini (Freaks and Geeks) and Ben Mendelsohn (Animal Kingdom)

Mendelsohn is the brother who steals the shiow as the black sheep brother who comes back...and chaos ensues.

gets better the closer it gets to the end

Bloodline~~~~C/C+

(Netflix: 13 episodes)

Kyle Chanlder (Friday Night Lights) stars alongside Linda Cardellini (Freaks and Geeks) and Ben Mendelsohn (Animal Kingdom)

Mendelsohn is the brother who steals the shiow as the black sheep brother who comes back...and chaos ensues.

gets better the closer it gets to the end

This is a mediocre show that is only worth watching because of Ben Mendelsohn. His performance is absolutely captivating. The show itself is a bit heavy-handed with its constant thematic force-feeding of loyalty and family and the plot doesn't really go into any interesting places as much as it flirts with being compelling. However, again, Mendelsohn. Dude is unreal. Every scene he's in just oozes with tension. In fact, for what this show lacks in plot, it makes up for with constant tension. 

Thumbs halfway up on the whole, though. 

I'm also watching Fortitude, which is batshit crazy. Anyone else checking that out?

As far as movies, go, the last movie I saw was Grand Budapest Hotel and I adored the fuck out of it. It's the only movie by Wes Anderson I actually love, even if I think that, ultimately, a movie about how wonderful the world was before WWI is problematic. That's some white people revisionist history. However, if you avoid historical implications and view the film as a lamentation for the seemingly universal loss of certain values and sensibilities (like taste and honor and politeness, etc.), it's much more palatable. Also, Ralph Fiennes is magnetic and chews up the Russian doll-esque scenery Anderson is so famous for. Easily my favorite movie from last year, even if I still haven't seen most of what was released in theaters. Up next is "A Most Violent Year." 

I love kyle chandler...but as soon as I heard that the show centers around Ben mendelsohn, I was all in. The dude is THE best at playing creepy, shady, and bringing tension. Watchung what he does and how he plays it is a good thing to watch for How to bring about tension. It was fun to watch in thay respect. But agreed on the whole.

As far as movies, go, the last movie I saw was Grand Budapest Hotel and I adored the fuck out of it. It's the only movie by Wes Anderson I actually love, even if I think that, ultimately, a movie about how wonderful the world was before WWI is problematic. That's some white people revisionist history. However, if you avoid historical implications and view the film as a lamentation for the seemingly universal loss of certain values and sensibilities (like taste and honor and politeness, etc.), it's much more palatable. Also, Ralph Fiennes is magnetic and chews up the Russian doll-esque scenery Anderson is so famous for. Easily my favorite movie from last year, even if I still haven't seen most of what was released in theaters. Up next is "A Most Violent Year." 

Damn thank god you're posting a lot again, cause that was a quality assessment of Grand Budapest. 

BTW I'm excited to jump on the Daredevil bandwagon soon. I hear good things.

I finished Bloodline.

I thought it was solid. Like the cast a lot. It was a bit flawed, but I enjoyed it. Linda is still such a babe. 

Ben Mendelsohn is incredible. 

mendelsohn was apparently being courted to play pennywise in the new version of stephen king's "It" but because he got the star wars deal he had to bail on talks. SUCKS. i don't blame him as star wars will rocket him into the spotlight, but it would have been AMAZING to see him play that role in It. the tension/fear he can conjur up is pretty spectacular to watch. ever since Animal Kingdom i make it a point to catch everything he does.

Selma ~~~~~~~~~~~A-

Pretty great, but I don't know if I'll re-watch it.

It will definitely be a lasting film. It feels REAL timely and it's eerie how much they made this movie BEFORE Ferguson and what it addresses.

Definitely weird to see Oprah in this shit.

Listened to Rembert Browne's podcast on SELMA and even what's happening in Baltimore today...pretty much addresses what people DID 50+ years ago versus today. Definitely a LOT of idiots who don't understand black anger, inner cities, the downtrodden, or whatever. 

The FBI files was a way to tell the story...and kind of funny since it was known the FBI was keeping track of MLK, and even had the clips of him being a pervert. Funny to see the movie address that.

American Sniper ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~C+

forgettable rental pretty much, but Bradley Cooper is great

I dig Clint Eastwood fine, but I wished somebody else directed this...and could have told a better story.

Some of the action scenes were all right, but they've done better (Hurt Locker; ). Conservatives REALLY wanted this to win, but there just were better movies made (again, Hurt Locker) that were similar/better. A lot of the shit fell flat, particularly ANY character other than Chris Kyle.

Some people that shit on Clint and are liberals themselves DID love this movie and thought it was his best in nearly a decade (Flag of Our Fathers/ Letters From Iwo Jima). I think, when it comes to war, Eastwood genuinely gives a shit about delivering, so there's that.

Worthwhile podcast/radio listen: Chris Kyle on Opie & Anthony with Robert Kelly/Jim Norton...they did more stuff later with conspiracy nut Alex Jones and Kyle's fight with Jesse Ventura. But it's the first part with Robert Kelly/Jim Norton that's the best for sure.

Edited by Cassidy

Ex Machina

so good. best movie i've seen in a while. completely entertaining and thought-provoking the entire time. it's best you go into the movie not knowing anything, so i'll just stop there. but this is a must see.

Avengers: Age of Ultron:  B-

I thought it was pretty decent.  The action sequences were fantastic, the standout one for me was the Ironman v Hulk fight that they showed a million times in the trailers. 

I feel like the film was too Whedon-y though, with the constant quipping dialogue between every single character.  It kinda messed with the tone of the film in some parts.  I felt like Cap 2 really nailed the necessary tone of funny/serious for Marvel films, this one felt like it was kinda all over the place.  It makes sense to have a character like Tony Stark making jokes all the time, but when every single character has one liners every 10 minutes, it gets a bit too noticeable for me.  Not every single character in this film needs to be super sarcastic and funny all the time. 

And I wasn't a fan of Ultron himself.

Other than that, pretty solid action movie.  Not sure where I'd rank it among other Marvel films, GOTG and Cap 2 are still my favorite, followed by Avengers 1.  I think I liked Avengers 1 a bit more than 2, the stakes felt a bit higher in the first one.  It's not a bad film, but the flaws in Avengers 2 seem more apparent to me after one viewing.

Spoiler talk for those who've seen it:

Was anyone else upset at how weak Ultron was made to look in the films?  Cap is one of my favorites, but he's by no means a heavy hitter on the Avengers and the fact that he basically went toe to toe with Ultron for 10+ minutes in a fucking fist fight seems kinda silly.  All the drones seemed to be made out of paper, everyone was just ripping them apart.  It really didn't heighten the tension that any of them were in real danger most of the time.

I also didn't really like how silly Ultron was throughout the film.  I get that because he was made by Stark, some of Stark's characteristics were transferred, but the trailers really made him seem like an evil menacing mastermind.  Not someone who gets his ass kicked all movie and says "Oh god" when the Hulk is about to kill him.  Spader did a good job with the voice, but the character of Ultron was just kinda lame overall to me.

And after watching it, I have no idea why they made Hawkeye, the least interesting character on the team, the main focus of the film.  I feel like his storyline dwarfed everyone elses by a large margin.  It just wasn't interesting to me, Hawkeye has always been the least interesting Avenger and I'm not a huge fan of Renner (he's decent in other stuff). 

Vision was pretty cool though.  I like how he was the one to save Wanda, maybe kinda setting up a similar thing from the comics when they were a couple.  It will be interesting to see how he fits into the cinematic universe going forward.

Saw it last thursday night. Would have posted sooner but then I went on a cruise and then was in the hospital after said cruise for the last 3 days lol.

I guess I’m glad I read all these B- reviews that helped lower my expectations, because I thought the movie was great. I was worried this was going to be like Iron Man 2 with all the dumb set up, but if you actually know the backstories and stuff from the comics, I thought it all worked really well. Here’s some quick thoughts:

– Joss Whedon kills it with the visuals in this movie. Whereas alot of the reviewers complained that the action got mindless after awhile, I was enjoying how everything started to look legitimately like a comic book panel come to life or something from the Marvel vs. Capcom/Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games.

– Whedon also kills it in the character development department. The movie feels overstuffed like how a show like Lost may have felt overstuffed in season 5: you gotta pay close attention to all the weird shit going on, and probably have to know the backstories and shit to everyone, to really dig whats happening (and avoid getting lost in it). But Whedon constantly grounds everything, makes them all feel human and vulnerable (except for Thor, because he just likes to be cocky and take off on his own), and even gives shading to the weaker characters (they were not kidding about how much development Hawkeye gets. His role is the everyman on a team of Gods, and I get it now). I think that helps make up for all the confusing plot stuff. Yeah they all make too many quips or meta jokes as if they’re all characters from Community, but it still makes for a good, fun movie.

– My big issues may be that even though Ultron was a legitimately great bad guy thanks to James Spader’s performance, making him a super witty jokester kinda killed the mood and tension. I have no idea why the evil robot loved cracking jokes so much. I guess it gave him more personality than if they just made him a Terminator kind of guy, but it was kinda weird.

– Oh and Scarlet Witch does seem way too powerful. Sure Quicksilver can run real fast (and apparently gets tired real fast too), but she can do freaking everything. Guess she can be the Deus Ex Machina in every movie now.

– Vision is in fact really cool and Paul Bettany somehow plays this ridiculous character perfectly.

– I’ll agree with the A.V. Club in that the group hangout scenes are always the best parts of the movie (minus the cool comic book fighting shots). They could always use more of em.

http://www.avclub.com/review/joss-whedon-grapples-franchise-obligations-avenger-218673

– Finally, i’ll try to not be that spoilery, but Whedon went out of his way to make this movie dark in an Empire Strikes Back kinda way. Didn’t really need it, but i guess it helps create the divisions and changes within the Avengers that will drive the next bunch of movies.

Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck ~~~~~~~~~~~~~B

unseen footage, animated parts of diary

I laughed when they included a bit of him fucking some fat, mentally handicapped girl from high school...the regret/shame he had with it; and that they recreated it in animation form.

I wanted a documentary on that.

The first hour was solid...but the 2nd hour lagged, to me. Basically when Courtney Love comes in significantly, I got less interested in it.

Kelly Oxford: Wowowowow, everyone needs to see Montage of Heck. Unsettling & important story of sensitivity and human interactions.

Edited by Cassidy

I saw Avengers 2 again. I like it more the 2nd time around, but man did they really shoehorn in the Vision storyline among all the other foreshadowing for future movies.

Also they really really really foreshadow the big death, and its pretty fucking hilarious.

Hawkeye says he wouldn't mind shooting or killing Quicksilver like twice. They also keep exchanging quips about how "You didn't see that coming." And Captain America or someone talks about not everyone making it back after this, the camera cuts right to Quicksilver.

You're a sick, funny man, Joss Whedon

Mad Max (orginal) ~~~~~~~~~~~~F

yeah, this is awful by any objective account.

Mad Max 2: the Road Warrior ~~~~~~~~~~~~C

definitely improved, but forgettable: I do think, when watching this, that this could all be vastly improved upon.

It's just kind of forgettable

...anyways....

on to BEYOND THUNDERDOME and will finish it up by tonight

one girl at my work prefers BEYOND THUNDERDOME; my brother named his wi-fi network exactly that after watching it in 2011.

He was underwhelmed with the movies though, particularly the first, from what I remember.

i tried watchign the first mad max and turned it off after 20 minutes. horrible.

glad i can just watch one of those "all you need to know in 3 minutes" youtube clips and then go see this new one.

Chappie

his movies always look so good, but everything since district 9 just falls so flat on story. its really a shame. cool concept, horrible execution.

Mad Max 3: Beyond the Thunderdome ~~~~~~~~~~~~F

awful dogshit.

I spoke to some black dude I like at work and he was 17 or so when the first one came out...,and he liked the series, particularly the 2nd one ('Road Warrior') but knew it was dog shit: 'You don't understand. We never saw action scenes like that and legit car crashes.'

There's just better movies from the 80s.

the funny thing about this...

-there's one scene that HOOK stole (basically when Peter Pan goes to Never Never Land and meets the Lost Boys; it's stolen verbatim, in a way...but HOOK did it better)

yeah, fuck: I just want to see the new Mad Max.
I don't know why people said BEYOND THUNDERDOME was the best one when it's looked at as the worst.

Saw Fury Road tonight. Overrated as all hell. It has some incredible things going for it, and plenty of credit is due for those things, but as a complete movie experience it falls well short of the greatness the hype suggests. I was impressed by the spectacle of it all...the stunts, the practical effects and the art direction. I can't criticize it for lack of plot or character development, because that's clearly not what this movie is about, but if it's going to stand solely on the merits of it's action, the action had it's flaws. It was often chaotic in a badly disorienting way. Many times it was difficult to tell what was happening, and there was little logic to how the characters interacted with their environments. Like any character could jump from vehicle to vehicle or crawl under a war rig or actually work on the engine while it was driving at top speed while it was under attack while in a storm of lightning and sand twisters...or they're thrown completely from the vehicle by a small swerve. Whatever needed to happen just happened without any real logic behind it. Plus it felt like it was shot by Baz Luhrmann...and I like Baz Luhrmann...but I wasn't wild about that editing style here. It really shied away from violence, giving it a rather lame PG-13 vibe...especially in a few scenes where it was sooo painfully deliberate that they didn't want to show any blood or carnage. 

So I guess it was a disappointment, but only because the reviews were so stellar. I'm not going to spend any time at all thinking about this movie, other than it's shortcomings, which is fine I guess for mindless action, but I want mindless action to at least be thrilling and memorable. I wasn't thrilled by this, and there's not a single part I want to see again because it was just so awesome. The worst thing a movie like this can be is forgettable, and the content of this movie was completely forgettable. 

Edited by carmellomangexp

Chappie:  C

Another rather mediocre film from Blomkamp,  I wish this dude would just let other people write his movies, I love the visual style he uses, but everything is always so heavy handed with the metaphors and shitty dialogue.  I thought it was a slight step up from Elysium, but not by much. 

Ninja and Yolandi were terrible choices, neither one can act that well and they would have been so much better off with hiring people who were actually competent actors. 

Kingsman: The Secret Service:  B+

This movie really surprised me, I had only seen a couple trailers and it came off looking rather uninspired and lame.  I had no idea it was going to be so violent, but it was a pretty good mix of action and comedy. 

It was a really fun movie, it definitely didn't take itself seriously and had a lot of great action sequences.  Definitely one of the better action movies I've seen this year, I'd recommend it if you are looking for some mindless fun.

I would give it a solid B+/A- but I was expecting and hoping for an A++

Maybe I am missing something. I wanted to blown away by it so badly, and just wasn't. It didn't give me the same thrill as The Raid 2 and John Wick recently have. And even if I watched it again or considered it more analytically to find more great things, it's the kind of movie that needs to grab you in the theater the first time to really leave the deepest possible impression. That opportunity is gone now.